Conquer Club

The HIVE [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: The HIVE *V20*- [AdvD, D,GP,GX,XML,FF,Beta]

Postby the.killing.44 on Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:11 pm

00iCon wrote:
yeti_c wrote:
jammyjames wrote:Okay quite a big suggestion here:

I played a speed game on this earlier with our man AAfitz Game 6319308

This game took us about 45 minutes to complete, most of the time was spent mopping up armies at the end of the game, i think that instead of the middle honeycomb we could have say an objective with 1000 men on it... this would make finishing the game so much quicker and easier. either that or put say 400 armies on it, and then make it a bombardment spot to bombard all territs...

Just a suggestion

The Queen bee - perhaps?!

C.

+1 to that, though i have yet to experience a hunt for the last player. I wouldn't think that it would take more that 2 turns though...

Took like 10 for meā€¦
Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby carlpgoodrich on Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:20 pm

Just played my first round on this map. Looks awesome! One comment I have is that it is a little annoying that the territory names are not always ordered correctly in the drop down menus. For example, A11 comes before A2. Maybe there could be the extra zero before single digit numbers (A02 is before A11), although I admit that might not be visually pleasing. Could it be A2 on the map but A02 in the drop down menu?
-carlpgoodrich
Lieutenant carlpgoodrich

Postby ender516 on Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:18 am

carlpgoodrich wrote:Just played my first round on this map. Looks awesome! One comment I have is that it is a little annoying that the territory names are not always ordered correctly in the drop down menus. For example, A11 comes before A2. Maybe there could be the extra zero before single digit numbers (A02 is before A11), although I admit that might not be visually pleasing. Could it be A2 on the map but A02 in the drop down menu?
-carlpgoodrich

This kind of sorting is a problem wherever it is found (used to be on Classic Shapes, not sure where else), but making the name of a region different on the map and in the drop-down menu is NOT a good solution. Since this map uses its region names as coordinates, I can see that getting the order of the list right would be a good thing, so I would propose using that extra zero, both on the map and in the drop-down menu.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby ustus on Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:58 am

the.killing.44 wrote:
00iCon wrote:
yeti_c wrote:
jammyjames wrote:Okay quite a big suggestion here:

I played a speed game on this earlier with our man AAfitz Game 6319308

This game took us about 45 minutes to complete, most of the time was spent mopping up armies at the end of the game, i think that instead of the middle honeycomb we could have say an objective with 1000 men on it... this would make finishing the game so much quicker and easier. either that or put say 400 armies on it, and then make it a bombardment spot to bombard all territs...

Just a suggestion

The Queen bee - perhaps?!

C.

+1 to that, though i have yet to experience a hunt for the last player. I wouldn't think that it would take more that 2 turns though...

Took like 10 for meā€¦

Although I haven't gotten to try the map out yet, adding bombardment of any kind would put me off the map almost entirely. I have been watching the development of this map because I love classic gameplay without all the bells and whistles some ppl are so fond of (bombardment, i guess really, cuz i've come to like the idea of one way attacks). So for me, as soon as bombardments or an objective are introduced, the map loses a lot of its appeal. I'll probably still try it if that's the case, but to have a map this massive with purely classic gameplay would be worth ten rounds of mop-up to me. That's just my ten cents.
Corporal ustus

Postby natty dread on Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:50 am

I wouldn't like bombardment on this map either. It's ok on some maps but not on this one...
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby Rakio on Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:11 pm

Anyway to speed how clicky works with this map?
Very interesting map but so tedious to play with clicky that it isnt enjoyable :/
Discover & Settle - a new land.
A map not in the making currently. Please have a look and comment anyway? :)
Cadet Rakio

Postby ustus on Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:50 pm

well, I could have told you clicky would be slower than other maps after seeing the first thread. The objective statement for the map was to make the largest possible map. High # of territs => long xml => slow clicky. And BOB. I don't use clicky, so I don't feel your pain there yet, but i just started a game on this map, and I expect BOB to annoy the heck out of me with slowness... but it's so big :) ...
Corporal ustus

Postby MrBenn on Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:41 pm

ender516 wrote:
carlpgoodrich wrote:Just played my first round on this map. Looks awesome! One comment I have is that it is a little annoying that the territory names are not always ordered correctly in the drop down menus. For example, A11 comes before A2. Maybe there could be the extra zero before single digit numbers (A02 is before A11), although I admit that might not be visually pleasing. Could it be A2 on the map but A02 in the drop down menu?
-carlpgoodrich

This kind of sorting is a problem wherever it is found (used to be on Classic Shapes, not sure where else), but making the name of a region different on the map and in the drop-down menu is NOT a good solution. Since this map uses its region names as coordinates, I can see that getting the order of the list right would be a good thing, so I would propose using that extra zero, both on the map and in the drop-down menu.

This is a suggestion worthy of some feedback...
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby natty dread on Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:43 pm

I would propose using that extra zero, both on the map and in the drop-down menu.

I concur!

Postby cairnswk on Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:54 pm

The above mentioned numbering system has been used before in xml for Waterloo...where terts were numbered 01, 02, 03...10, 11, 12 etc.
If order in the xml is required then that is the way to go.
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby stahrgazer on Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:21 am

Yes, they definitely need to zero-fill the otherwise single numbers. Since several of the numbers go into 2 digits, they have room for three characters, J01, B03, P11 etc. so that the map and the menus agree, and so that the numbers are in order.
Sergeant stahrgazer

Postby WidowMakers on Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:27 pm

Well it looks as if people want the 2 digit numbering. I will get to work on that.
Major WidowMakers

Postby iancanton on Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:04 am

cairnswk wrote:The above mentioned numbering system has been used before in xml for Waterloo...where terts were numbered 01, 02, 03...10, 11, 12 etc.
If order in the xml is required then that is the way to go.

the waterloo numbering method will be helpful in this respect.

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby stealth99 on Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:14 pm

I'm in a game now and just noticed a small glitch. I'm not sure if it's a "Bob" issue or a map issue. My game is 6352740. When attacking, the game changes the newly conquered territory to my color with respect to the armies in the territory. However, the attack key remains in the old color. When the continent is conquered you don't get credit for it in the continent overview or any of the army totals. When I closed the map and re-opened it all was well.

This is not a complaint, I know it's beta and figured you'd like to know.

stealth99
Cook stealth99

Location: St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada......oldest and most easterly city in north america

Postby carlpgoodrich on Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:38 am

stealth99 wrote:I'm in a game now and just noticed a small glitch. I'm not sure if it's a "Bob" issue or a map issue. My game is 6352740. When attacking, the game changes the newly conquered territory to my color with respect to the armies in the territory. However, the attack key remains in the old color. When the continent is conquered you don't get credit for it in the continent overview or any of the army totals. When I closed the map and re-opened it all was well.

This is not a complaint, I know it's beta and figured you'd like to know.

stealth99

I have noticed the same on a different map. Pretty sure it is a BOB thing, since all normal CC aspects worked correctly. I suggest posting it in the BOB forum.
Lieutenant carlpgoodrich

Postby natty dread on Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:45 pm

OK, I'm not gonna play escalating on this map anymore... it's too damn big and confusing with those tiny walls sprinkled around the map. I mean you check 3, 4 times when you're going for a kill and you think you have all of them nailed, but no, there's always 1 little quirk somewhere that keeps you from killing some 1 or 2 troops, and you're fucked...

I mean, yeah, it's nice and all, to make a huge, record breaking map, but I'm going to head into more playable arenas from now on.

Postby MrBenn on Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:32 pm

I think we're still waiting to see about the 2-digit territory numbering.

Was there any further thoughts about adding some kind of killer/queen bee? I'm not sure it's necessary, but am equally not sure if there was a response from WM about it (I could have just skipped over it - am rushing through forums tonight)
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby natty dread on Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:38 pm

(ok, I was a bit flustered when I posted my last comment... I guess I'll keep on playing the map, but not too many games at once, cause this one really needs concentration)

I don't think the "queen bee" idea got a very good reception. From what I recall, most people didn't want the gameplay changed that much.

Postby WidowMakers on Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:05 pm

I am not going to change the GP. The purpose was to have a large standard GP based map. The queen will take away from that.

I still need to do the renumbering.
Major WidowMakers

Postby karelpietertje on Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:28 pm

okay, I am personally a big fan of the hugeness of this map, and play it in 1v1 games.
but the problem is that the finishing up takes up twice as long, or against a bad opponent, 10 times (literally!), as long as the game itself.
therefore I wonder if there isn't a possibility to put in a winning condition? has this been considered?
I mean, owning 75% of the map is a pretty stable situation methinks, and the last 25% is always the most annoying part.
Major karelpietertje

Postby natty dread on Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:48 pm

I mean, owning 75% of the map is a pretty stable situation methinks, and the last 25% is always the most annoying part.

Yes, but unfortunately winning objectives don't work that way (yet). You cannot define a condition to be "75% of the map" or " x number of these territories" like you can with bonus areas. You can define several different winning conditions, but they can only be lists of territories you need to hold.

However, something like holding all of the largest bonus areas could work. Or holding all the honey storages, if their neutral count was increased a bit.

Postby skeletonboy on Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:10 pm

karelpietertje wrote:okay, I am personally a big fan of the hugeness of this map, and play it in 1v1 games.
but the problem is that the finishing up takes up twice as long, or against a bad opponent, 10 times (literally!), as long as the game itself.
therefore I wonder if there isn't a possibility to put in a winning condition? has this been considered?

WidowMakers wrote:I am not going to change the GP. The purpose was to have a large standard GP based map. The queen will take away from that.

I still need to do the renumbering.
Sergeant skeletonboy

Postby TheMissionary on Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:34 pm

It just took me 45 minutes to take my turn on this map. I could just imagine if I had a set to cash. Has anyone considered the fact that sometimes you won't be able to finish your turn in an hour?
Lieutenant TheMissionary

Postby natty dread on Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:59 pm

I think time is added to the clock when you eliminate someone... or is that just speed games?

Postby army of nobunaga on Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:14 pm

I like this map because it is different. You do HAVE to take a long considerate turn. But that adds to It I think. With the bonuses It also changes strategy for escalating games (the cards dont get high enough fast enough). I came back from a work induced absence from CC and have found two great map editions... I was a little disappointed in the feudal epic but I guess that is a thought for a diff thread.
Maps Maps Maps!

Take part in this survey and possibly win an upgrade -->
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/embeddedform?formkey=dGg4a0VxUzJLb1NGNUFwZHBuOHRFZnc6MQ
Cadet army of nobunaga

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas