Conquer Club

CRICKET: SILLY MID-ON

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: CRICKET: SMO ( BETA & LIVE) V26

Postby Commander62890 on Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:01 pm

cairnswk wrote:
Leehar wrote:I was just wondering, are you supposed to be able to drop mk6?
It just seems to be a bit weird considering all the other 6's are neutral, but if you wanted it like that, I guess It's ok

Gees, nobody picked that up before. Thanks Leehar.
http://h1.ripway.com/cairnswk/cricket_smo_V27.xml

I really like it that MK6 is not neutral. If it were neutral, the team that secured the middle of the map first would win nearly every time.

MK6 gives easy access to the middle... which means that even if a team secures the middle due to a great drop, the other team has a chance to come back and break Bowler without having to go through any brutal neutrals.
Major Commander62890

Postby Leehar on Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:48 pm

Commander62890 wrote:
cairnswk wrote:
Leehar wrote:I was just wondering, are you supposed to be able to drop mk6?
It just seems to be a bit weird considering all the other 6's are neutral, but if you wanted it like that, I guess It's ok

Gees, nobody picked that up before. Thanks Leehar.
http://h1.ripway.com/cairnswk/cricket_smo_V27.xml

I really like it that MK6 is not neutral. If it were neutral, the team that secured the middle of the map first would win nearly every time.

MK6 gives easy access to the middle... which means that even if a team secures the middle due to a great drop, the other team has a chance to come back and break Bowler without having to go through any brutal neutrals.

Yeah, I just think it's probably important to have uniformity across the board.
I don't disagree with that, it's what made me realise that there was an error there in the first place with all the vulnerability at third man. In a lot of the games it starts becoming easy to also get the mk6, kevin and max bonus and I don't think that was what carins was going for.
However, as it is, it seems after 1 team holds the field with usually a +9/12 for fielders it becomes difficult to break with either the 6's or the umpires the only way in. (and results in a umpire or media complex bonus along the way) I think cairns still may need to work on this a bit more for balancing, I think the field turns out to be the area of contention and after that falls then it becomes difficult to continue. Otherwise the only other things of importance are the team bonuses around the stadium. But basically, what I'm seeing is that there's not enough other activity which I think there could be. For example, it really doesn't look to me that the batter/run bonuses are being managed in the best way, maybe you'll have better info on this, but I don't think anybody really feels the need to take them and they just serve as a detraction from the main battles which I'm not sure will come into use...
Anyway, those are just my 2 cents, but what do I know about maps anyway :oops:

Also, just another quick mention, it seems from the games I'm in that public 7 is neutral instead of public 8? And I'm just wondering about the reasoning behind the need for them being neutral? I personally feel that it's unnecessary (I just think there's way too many neutrals in static positions on the map) Just something to think about I guess...
And another q (I seem to be just running on and on ;)), uhm, you say that there are 3 media guys in the map?(with the three famous commentators-I just see 2), guess 3rdU was originally meant to be somebody?

Edit: Sorry, seems on your map of neutrals that public 7 is meant to be neutral, however, it also says that Mike Atherton needs to be neutral, which I don't think is the case?
show
Colonel Leehar

Postby turmeric on Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:02 pm

Hey,
Ive played the map a few times and I reckon its great. BUT as has been said, the batter bonus is pretty much non-existant. I think Ive played 20 times or so, and never once has the batter bonus come into play. Maybe it could be cahnged so the bonus is achieved with less batters held?
Cheers
Nick
Colonel turmeric

Postby army of nobunaga on Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:48 am

the batter bonus comes into play if you play for it.... My team plays this map like the middle is GP in supermax...
And then the batters come into play big time. On 1vs1 I was able to get this bonus pretty easy too.

Im not sure how this map could be improved imo. It is heavily chokepointed and linear, but you can play with that and it actually adds some dimension to me.
Maps Maps Maps!

Take part in this survey and possibly win an upgrade -->
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/embeddedform?formkey=dGg4a0VxUzJLb1NGNUFwZHBuOHRFZnc6MQ
Cadet army of nobunaga

Postby MarshalNey on Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:55 pm

turmeric wrote:Hey,
Ive played the map a few times and I reckon its great. BUT as has been said, the batter bonus is pretty much non-existant. I think Ive played 20 times or so, and never once has the batter bonus come into play. Maybe it could be cahnged so the bonus is achieved with less batters held?
Cheers
Nick

Actually in my doubles game the Batter bonus has been the thing keeping us alive. This is a chaotic, but fun map in my experience. Hard to strategize until all the scrambling is done, like after Round 6... and even then, things are still very crazy. I've been nearly eliminated twice and my partner once, and we're now poised to win the game...
Captain MarshalNey

Postby MrBenn on Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:01 pm

Cairns, how are things standing with this?
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby cairnswk on Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:57 pm

MrBenn wrote:Cairns, how are things standing with this?

Well, there was that little discussion recently about the batting bonus, but it isn't anything too great.
Most are happy with this i beleive. :)
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby MrBenn on Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:22 pm

cairnswk wrote:

Well, there was that little discussion recently about the batting bonus, but it isn't anything too great.

Do you want to play another over, or is it time for tea?
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby cairnswk on Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:19 pm

MrBenn wrote:
cairnswk wrote:

Time for tea i think, I'm thirsty. ;)
Private cairnswk

Postby Leehar on Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:34 pm

cairnswk wrote:
MrBenn wrote:
cairnswk wrote:

Time for tea i think, I'm thirsty. ;)

Seconded, think it's really working well now, I'm still not particularly satisfied with the public neutrals tho, and while the batter seems to be more useful, I'm not sure I like the other neutrals on the field since I don't see them as something anyone will find appealing to take (the only reason I think the batter came into play was just because it's another way to break into the field). Have you run any stats to find where the batter and neutrals come into play? I'd be interested to see where it's used
show
Colonel Leehar

Postby cairnswk on Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:49 pm

Leehar wrote:....
Seconded, think it's really working well now, I'm still not particularly satisfied with the public neutrals tho, and while the batter seems to be more useful, I'm not sure I like the other neutrals on the field since I don't see them as something anyone will find appealing to take (the only reason I think the batter came into play was just because it's another way to break into the field). Have you run any stats to find where the batter and neutrals come into play? I'd be interested to see where it's used

Stats, no, but you're welcome to if you want. ;)
Private cairnswk

Postby turmeric on Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:34 pm

army of nobunaga wrote:the batter bonus comes into play if you play for it.... My team plays this map like the middle is GP in supermax...
And then the batters come into play big time. On 1vs1 I was able to get this bonus pretty easy too.

Im not sure how this map could be improved imo. It is heavily chokepointed and linear, but you can play with that and it actually adds some dimension to me.

From your post and what the post after yours said I can see that the batter bonus comes into play in team games and games with more than 2 players, so agreed that it probably shouldn't be changed. Ive played quite a few more 1 v 1 games since my last post though and Im not sure that it really comes into the game at all in that set up. Actually people who try for it tend to lose as a result, I stand to be proved wrong but with 1 on 1 games I reckon its redundant.
Colonel turmeric

Postby sonicsteve on Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:15 pm

Apologies if this has been raised, but don't have time for the full thread atm.

Should the Bowler be a neutral drop?

Seems pretty unbalanced in the dubs game I just joined, whoever drops the bowler is rewarded with a 7 deploy. If they are lucky and also win the toss (start first), it is a very big starting advantage and will happen in a lot of games.

Obviously you can always get lucky drops, but to have only one cell with a +2 seems imbalanced unless it starts neutral.

otherwise seems a very nice map, btw.
Major sonicsteve

Location: within walking distance of the sea, waiting for global warming so I can jump in.

Postby Commander62890 on Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:41 pm

I think a nice change would be to have Bowler start as a neutral 1, at the very least. This would be nice and easy to take, but it would also stop players from getting the bonus at the start of the game.

Also, I want to go back to what Leehar said here:
Leehar wrote:However, as it is, it seems after 1 team holds the field with usually a +9/12 for fielders it becomes difficult to break with either the 6's or the umpires the only way in. (and results in a umpire or media complex bonus along the way) I think cairns still may need to work on this a bit more for balancing, I think the field turns out to be the area of contention and after that falls then it becomes difficult to continue. Otherwise the only other things of importance are the team bonuses around the stadium. But basically, what I'm seeing is that there's not enough other activity which I think there could be. For example, it really doesn't look to me that the batter/run bonuses are being managed in the best way, maybe you'll have better info on this, but I don't think anybody really feels the need to take them and they just serve as a detraction from the main battles which I'm not sure will come into use...
I'm not sure I like that the Field is only accessible by hitting neutrals. It makes the Field incredibly valuable in team games (and that's all we care about, right ;) ). I haven't played a ton of games yet, but it seems like whoever takes the Field will have a major advantage. Or is this negated by the fact that Bowler is only an autodeploy, and not a regular deployment? Still, the team that has control of the Field (and Bowler) will quickly gain a big troop advantage, even if they can't use it on the outer regions just yet. It is of note that there are a bunch of small bonuses on the outside of the map, which I like :)

I would love to have this map be as complicated and luck-free as possible, so I can use it as a home map in clan challenges ;)
Major Commander62890

Postby Leehar on Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:55 am

Lol, I would just like to add that the batters are also a way in to the field to break whatever field bonuses the opposing team has, tho of course the fact that it having to break a fielder then gives you a negative bonus, it's not too attractive.
I'd just to raise one more issue regarding pc1/2/3. Have they actually ever been taken? I think it may not be such a bad idea to not make them neutral to perhaps bring them more into the game?
show
Colonel Leehar

Postby MrBenn on Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:42 pm

So what's the final score?
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby cairnswk on Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:43 pm

MrBenn wrote:So what's the final score?

I think move it MrBenn.
There doesn't appear to be throngs of people wanting those changes previously mentioned.
Private cairnswk

Postby MrBenn on Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:29 pm

Quenching

---The Beta period has concluded for the Cricket Map. All objections have had their time. The Foundry and I hereby brand this map with the Foundry Brand. Let it be known that this map is now ready to be released into live play.

Congratulations cairnswk, your shiny new medal is well-earned =D>

Conquer Club, enjoy!

--MrBenn
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Victor Sullivan on Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:23 pm

Congrats on 28, cairns! :mrgreen:
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Re: CRICKET: SILLY MID-ON

Postby cairnswk on Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:13 pm

^^ Thanks MrBenn and Vic. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby samlauncher on Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:43 am

hey guys i havent understood how to play plz tell me more...
New Recruit samlauncher

Postby Joodoo on Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:02 am

samlauncher wrote:hey guys i havent understood how to play plz tell me more...

Suggest you start out on more simple maps like Arctic, Classic, or Cairns Metro first.
TheSaxlad wrote:The Dice suck a lot of the time.

And if they dont suck then they blow.

:D
Lieutenant Joodoo

Postby Teflon Kris on Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:19 pm

+1 for 2 supporters and a six?

In this game , I've held Sharon, Les, Lelu & SO6 practically all game, but no bonus :cry:

Game 8203153
Sergeant 1st Class Teflon Kris

Postby cairnswk on Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:48 pm

DJ Teflon wrote:+1 for 2 supporters and a six?

In this game , I've held Sharon, Les, Lelu & SO6 practically all game, but no bonus :cry:

Game 8203153

You need to hold Sharon Curtis and SC6 for that bonus.
Sixes can only be "caught" by fans either side of them (it's in the pink instructions on cataching a Six) :)
Private cairnswk

Postby Chariot of Fire on Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:20 pm

Cairnsy. You never responded to my PM several weeks ago.

It says in the legend under Batting Team "PC4 & 5 border 5 Pavilion positions", but if you look at how the map is drawn it appears they only border 4 positions (PC5 and Batsman4 have a wall between them).

Can you clarify please, coz this coz really trip someone up in an esc game. Thanks
Highest position #5 (18 Nov 2010) General 4,380pts (11 Dec 2010)
Colonel Chariot of Fire

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas