Conquer Club

WWII - Eastern Front-statistic page 1 [Quenched]5000 finish

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby Teya on Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:57 pm

Your army shadows are still bad. They need to be grey. And they seem to have a 3D effect which is bad. People are going to have trouble reading blue numbers on a blue shadow and a blue country. Its the same with your 1914 map. And it is something you have ignored all the along. I think you'll notice with other maps, all the shadows are the same. Grey. Just different shades of grey.
Sergeant 1st Class Teya

Postby reverend_kyle on Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:07 pm

I still dislike the yellow font, but I think if you changed the black font to white and applied a nice shadow/emboss effect to both texts it would look good...

and if you changed the fonts to the same size and font.,
DANCING MUSTARD FOR POOP IN '08!
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby wcaclimbing on Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:32 pm

first thought: wow.

nice map

but could you change the font on the "one army bonus for holding stars" yellow box. its kinda hard to read what you wrote there.
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Postby DublinDoogey on Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:42 pm

you might want to look into making the Font all black with a yellow stroke, or a white stroke. Something similar would work too, but the dark font with a light stroke usually helps clear up visibility, making the map easier to read.

also, it may be just me, but i'm not fond of your compass, some other artwork for that might be better. maybe something that's more military looking, since it's a war map.
Private DublinDoogey

Postby Qwert on Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:01 pm

teya wrote
Your army shadows are still bad. They need to be grey. And they seem to have a 3D effect which is bad. People are going to have trouble reading blue numbers on a blue shadow and a blue country. Its the same with your 1914 map. And it is something you have ignored all the along. I think you'll notice with other maps, all the shadows are the same. Grey. Just different shades of grey.

Now Teya its like to you dont look other map so good like my ok now look my litle experiment and tell what you see.

i have compas look better Dublin Doogey
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Qwert on Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:05 pm

im forget, do you notise how circle in playabily map small its hard to army number stay in.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby AndrewB on Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:37 pm

Almost every city name is misspelled...

Talin = Talinn (or modern spelling Tallinn)
Viljnus = Vilnius
Lenjingrad = Leningrad
Demjansk = Demyansk
Bjalistok = Białystok if we use Polish spelling or Belastok in english translit from Russian)
Ternopolj = Ternopol'
and more and more. (Basically should be no J anywhere) Use wikipedia.com to check the names.

It looks like you have used your native language (Serbian Latin script?) for the names.

Also I don't like how the bonuses are defined: too little for holding so many countries. Why don't you split it into smaller continents or join some of the countries together?

How comes that 3 countries (with 3 stars) get you a bonus of 3; and 5 countries give you a bonus of just 2?

Another idea:

Currently you have 3 countries with a star. To follow the historical reality after the WWII in USSR there were 13 "cities-heroes":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hero_City

For example, you can keep the continent values as they are, but award 1 extra army for every of 13 hero city. But that is just an idea...

I think you should do more research into historical realities of the map. You cannot call this map WWII Eastern Front. At best it is just a map snap-shot for the particular date (which you might want to state). Trust me, I grew up in USSR and Russian and Ukrainian my first languages.

Also I don't think i like the way it is colored. 2 almost same blue colors. And suddenly Stalingrad armies are green? You can use some of the shades of the red/yellow/orange etc.

But generally i like the idea of that map. But I think it is still quite raw.
Lieutenant AndrewB

Postby Teya on Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:37 pm

I still think they need to be grey not blue. Besides, what you posted makes no sense to me. I havent come across a map where numbers dont fit or arent in the middle of the shadow.
All Im saying to you is change the colour and make them flat. They look like balls.
Sergeant 1st Class Teya

Postby Qwert on Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:52 pm

Демя́нск)
Belarusian: Беласток
Russian: Тернополь
you see you dont write original names like me to,
but what you against my language?
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby AndrewB on Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:06 pm

qwert wrote:Демя́нск)
Belarusian: Беласток
Russian: Тернополь
you see you dont write original names like me to,
but what you against my language?

Just that it seems to be English map on the English web-site and we are using English now. And the proper English name is Ternopol', not Ternopolj, and not Тернополь. Why Serbian? I could understand it, if it was a map of Eastern Europe/Yugoslavia or something like this, and you decided to use authentic names. But there is nothing related to Serbia on that map.

I personally have nothing against your language, but using Serbian for WWII Eastern Front map is inappropriate.

At the end of the day, English alphabet does not contain letter Č.
Lieutenant AndrewB

Postby Qwert on Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:21 am

more explain for AndrewB.
Nobody complain whit language the name of teritory write. I can put to wote and let to people give you woice.I think other people understand teritory names.
If i follow the historical realiti,these map must have at lees 100 teritory.If you can create these i vill drop map right now.
I read wikipedia to.
I not put stars becouse cities heroes.
Stars present bigest target of germany conquer,who never capture.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby DublinDoogey on Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:06 pm

as for the vote, I agree with AndrewB, English names on an English site where English is the standard being used.
Private DublinDoogey

Postby AndrewB on Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:24 pm

qwert wrote:more explain for AndrewB.
Nobody complain whit language the name of teritory write. I can put to wote and let to people give you woice.I think other people understand teritory names.
If i follow the historical realiti,these map must have at lees 100 teritory.If you can create these i vill drop map right now.
I read wikipedia to.
I not put stars becouse cities heroes.
Stars present bigest target of germany conquer,who never capture.

No need to go defensive on me, qwer. I was just trying to help, and voice my opinion. I guess, it is not needed.
Lieutenant AndrewB

Postby dafranca on Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:21 pm

english for sure!
Sergeant 1st Class dafranca

Postby KEYOGI on Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:21 pm

qwert wrote:Image

I think those army shadows need some work. Blue is next to impossible to read. You can't use the excuse that other maps already on the site are bad in some way or another, a lot of them were put up before the Map Foundry process was in place. I think a lot of these maps need to be reworked on as they don't meet the standards of new maps.
Sergeant 1st Class KEYOGI

Postby for dummies on Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:13 pm

i would disagree over the language issue. A) does it really matter so much? names don't really afect gameplay at all. B) Anyway he is the maker of the map and it should be at his discression anyway.
viperbitex wrote: what the f*ck were the dinosaurs all about?? Did G-Dog wear his silly pants one day 10 million years ago and make them??
Corporal for dummies

Postby Qwert on Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:02 pm

i see these. If i dont change name to english you will dont give me permit for my maps.
Im deside to change all teritory names to english including names of Army like Hereesgruppe sud....(its german).
Only i dont change my sign in botom of map.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Qwert on Mon Dec 25, 2006 3:40 pm

here map all in english
(nadam se da ste sad sretni)

Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Bad Speler on Mon Dec 25, 2006 3:49 pm

great map, i have only two suggestions. Im not sure if this has been discussed yet, but perhaps reduce the bonus for moscow army to 7, as it may have 4 borders, but it can easily be turned to 3 by taking smolensk. Also, the countries deepro petovsk and donets are a bit hard to read, consider darkening the text there.
Highest Score: 2532
Highest Position: 69 (a long time ago)
Sergeant 1st Class Bad Speler

Postby reverend_kyle on Mon Dec 25, 2006 4:29 pm

did you change your shadows? they seem to look worse now... they used to have a cool 3d sort of look.
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby Qwert on Mon Dec 25, 2006 7:38 pm

Reveren kyle wrote
did you change your shadows? they seem to look worse now... they used to have a cool 3d sort of look.
yes i change becouse Teya ask these.
I will put to wote for army shadow if you want.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby cowshrptrn on Mon Dec 25, 2006 8:33 pm

Don't bother, Rev. Kyle is the only one who has shown some support for the old army shadows. No matter what you do, someone will disagree with some aspect of your map.

btw, if enough ppl agree, i tinhk you should change i back to german and russian, Heeresgruppe Sud sounds a lot better than army group south.
Private cowshrptrn

Postby reverend_kyle on Mon Dec 25, 2006 9:38 pm

The new army shadows are fine, but the other army shadows were new inventive and not hard to read..

and you even did that project for them.
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby Qwert on Tue Dec 26, 2006 3:38 am

cowshrptrn
btw, if enough ppl agree, i tinhk you should change i back to german and russian, Heeresgruppe Sud sounds a lot better than army group south.

I dont belive in these Cowshrpttrn, see wote.

I know that new army shadow 3d, and i like these shadow, but like i say its better to put in wote.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:31 pm

I think the vote was more specifically dealing with the country names. You can see if people would like the german army names in replace of the english, as it would perhaps be more accurate.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas