Conquer Club

Italy [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby gavin_sidhu on Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:16 pm

Argh, you need 24 countries so that 3 and 4 player games have no neutrals. 24 is a good number. Add San Marino as a country.
Highest Score: 1843 Ranking (Australians): 3
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby RjBeals on Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:31 pm

24 will be the number.
Private RjBeals

Postby Ruben Cassar on Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:42 pm

RjBeals wrote:24 will be the number.

If you need more regions to add to Italy's 20 regions you could make Corsica a playable region. Maybe you could also add Malta in there. I understand however that those two islands are not part of Italy. There is always the option of using Pantelleria, Elba and Lampedusa as well which are Italian.

I still don't like the Vatican City covering such a big region on the map. I mean the Vatican is a tiny dot with a few hundred people living in it. I think that if you want to create an extra region in Lazio with a bonus that should be Rome.

Hmm come to think of it you might also add San Marino to get another region for the map. That would make 24. What do you think?
ImageImageImageImageImage
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby Marvaddin on Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:20 pm

24 countries... what a waste... :( :( :(
Major Marvaddin

Postby gavin_sidhu on Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:43 am

Marvaddin its about time this site has a small map. Make sure you add a North symbol since u screwed the usual north.

4 territories will be easy to create, split Sicily in 2, split Sardinia in 2, add Juventus, add Milan, add San Marino, split Emilia-Romagna into Emilia and Romagna, split Trentino-South Tyrol into Trentino and South Tyrol etc.

Agree with everyone that Vatican City should be renamed Rome. If your going to give that territory a plus one bonus, i think it should connect to more regions, connect it to pink at least.
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby reverend_kyle on Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:05 am

Marvaddin wrote:24 countries... what a waste... :( :( :(

My thoughts exactly, and I thought Ireland was bad.
DANCING MUSTARD FOR POOP IN '08!
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby Lupo on Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:15 am

Gavin, It seems you know better Italian football clubs than Italian geography... lol

gavin_sidhu wrote:Marvaddin its about time this site has a small map. Make sure you add a North symbol since u screwed the usual north.

4 territories will be easy to create, split Sicily in 2, split Sardinia in 2, add Juventus, add Milan, add San Marino, split Emilia-Romagna into Emilia and Romagna, split Trentino-South Tyrol into Trentino and South Tyrol etc.

Agree with everyone that Vatican City should be renamed Rome. If your going to give that territory a plus one bonus, i think it should connect to more regions, connect it to pink at least.

I agree with you: 24 territories is a really good number for real time games with 3 or 4 players!
Last edited by Lupo on Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Nature is a temple in which living pillars
Sometimes emit confused words;
Man crosses it through forests of symbols
That observe him with familiar glances."
Sergeant 1st Class Lupo

Postby gavin_sidhu on Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:19 am

Lupo wrote:Gavin, It seems you know better Italian football clubs than Italy geography... lol

gavin_sidhu wrote:Marvaddin its about time this site has a small map. Make sure you add a North symbol since u screwed the usual north.

I agree with you: 24 territories is a really good number for real time games with 3 or 4 players![/b]
Meant Torino.
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby reverend_kyle on Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:25 am

gavin_sidhu wrote:
Lupo wrote:Gavin, It seems you know better Italian football clubs than Italy geography... lol

I agree with you: 24 territories is a really good number for real time games with 3 or 4 players![/b]
Meant Torino.

you mean turin right?
DANCING MUSTARD FOR POOP IN '08!
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby Lupo on Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:29 am

Anyway to reach 24 territories, i suggest to take in consideration the following list:

- the 20 Italian regions;

- Corsica;

- split Emilia-Romagna into Emila and Romagna;

- add San Marino;

- add Rome in the place of Vatican, considering Rome territory the one corresponding to its province. (you could still call it Vatican State, but if you do this, please try to make it as smallest as possible!)

Total 24!
Sergeant 1st Class Lupo

Postby gavin_sidhu on Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:07 am

Don't think Corsica would be a good idea, its French. Split Sicily or Sardinia.

To reverend_kyle: Torino is the Italian name for Turin.

Edit: might want to split Tuscany to help with playability.
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby Ruben Cassar on Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:25 am

gavin_sidhu wrote:4 territories will be easy to create, split Sicily in 2, split Sardinia in 2, add Juventus, add Milan, add San Marino, split Emilia-Romagna into Emilia and Romagna, split Trentino-South Tyrol into Trentino and South Tyrol etc.

Errr...Gavin...you do know that Juventus is a glorious football club, but not the name of a city do you? That would be Torino my friend! :P
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby Lupo on Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:26 am

Also Vatican and San Marino are not Italian, Gavin!

Moreover, if you consider that Napoleone Bonaparte was from Corsica and that his parents were Italian (in fact, he changed his surname from Buonaparte, that literally means good side, to Bonaparte in order to make it sound less italian and more french) because previously Corsica was part of the Kingdom of Piemonte.

So, in my opinion, Corsica is part of Italian history as well as Vatican and San Marino.

P.S.: Does someone of you know that San Marino is the oldest republic in the world?
Last edited by Lupo on Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sergeant 1st Class Lupo

Postby Ruben Cassar on Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:27 am

reverend_kyle wrote:
Marvaddin wrote:24 countries... what a waste... :( :( :(

My thoughts exactly, and I thought Ireland was bad.

Oh come on people. Ireland is a great map. Just because you don't like the idea doesn't mean others won't. As I said before it's impossible for everyone to like a map!
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby Ruben Cassar on Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:31 am

Lupo wrote:Also Vatican and San Marino are not Italian, Gavin!

Moreover, if you consider that Napoleone Bonaparte was from Corsica and that his parents were Italian (in fact, he changed his surname from Buonaparte, that literally means good side, to Bonaparte in order to make it sound less italian and more french) because previously Corsica was part of Reign of Piemonte.

So, in my opinion, Corsica is part of Italian history as well as Vatican and San Marino.

P.S.: Does someone of you know that San Marino is the oldest republic in the world?

Well Malta is part of Italian history as well as it was under the rule of the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies. Maybe it could be included in the map as well. Corsica is definetely of Italian origin...even their surnames are Italian.

While we are at it we could include the Canton Ticino, the Italian speaking canton of Switzerland! ;)

Anyway even San Marino and the Vatican are populated by Italians. They are just symoblic states in my opinion just like Monaco with France.
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby gavin_sidhu on Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:34 am

Moreover, if you consider that Napoleone Bonaparte was from Corsica and that his parents were Italian (in fact, he changed his surname from Buonaparte, that literally means good side, to Bonaparte in order to make it sound less italian and more french) because previously Corsica was part of the Kingdom of Piemonte.

That would be like a map of the united kingdom having ireland in it, or a map of russia having alaska in it. Historically these are both correct, but its just not going to happen.
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby Ruben Cassar on Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:25 am

gavin_sidhu wrote:

That would be like a map of the united kingdom having ireland in it, or a map of russia having alaska in it. Historically these are both correct, but its just not going to happen.

Well Ireland is included in the British Isles map and I think that it is a better map than a UK map without Ireland (Eire).
San Marino and the Vatican can be safely included in the map. Maybe Corsica is more of a question mark but including it wouldn't do any harm to the gameplay.
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby Lupo on Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:34 am

Ruben Cassar wrote:

Moreover, if you consider that Napoleone Bonaparte was from Corsica and that his parents were Italian (in fact, he changed his surname from Buonaparte, that literally means good side, to Bonaparte in order to make it sound less italian and more french) because previously Corsica was part of Reign of Piemonte.

Well Malta is part of Italian history as well as it was under the rule of the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies. Maybe it could be included in the map as well. Corsica is definetely of Italian origin...even their surnames are Italian.

While we are at it we could include the Canton Ticino, the Italian speaking canton of Switzerland! ;)

Anyway even San Marino and the Vatican are populated by Italians. They are just symoblic states in my opinion just like Monaco with France.

It could be a good idea to have Canton Ticino (the southern region of Swizerland) in Italy map!
In this way we do not need anymore to split Emila-Romagna!

About Corsica issue i have some arguments:

1. it would be really one of they key country in this map (it will be connected to many different continents and it will be part of the "insular continent") we need this territory in order to make a good map. it will improve the playability!

2. If you consider Ireland map, there's also the Ulster. This 'cause Ulster is, at lest geografically, part of Ireland. The same is for Corsica: from geographical point of view it's much more italian then french.. I mean that Corsica is really part of italian geography. it would be possible even to swim from Sardegna to Corsica without being an iron man! (the same wouldn't be possible from South France to Corsica!)
Sergeant 1st Class Lupo

Postby Ruben Cassar on Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:42 am

Lupo wrote:
Ruben Cassar wrote:

It could be a good idea to have Canton Ticino (the southern region of Swizerland) in Italy map!
In this way we do not need anymore to split Emila-Romagna!

About Corsica issue i have some arguments:

1. it would be really one of they key country in this map (it will be connected to many different continents and it will be part of the "insular continent") we need this territory in order to make a good map. it will improve the playability!

2. If you consider Ireland map, there's also the Ulster. This 'cause Ulster is, at lest geografically, part of Ireland. The same is for Corsica: from geographical point of view it's much more italian then french.. I mean that Corsica is really part of italian geography. it would be possible even to swim from Sardegna to Corsica without being an iron man! (the same wouldn't be possible from South France to Corsica!)

I agree that Corsica should be included. I would also include the isles of Elba, Pantelleria or Lampedusa. Being Maltese I would also like to see Malta in there although I don't think anyone likes the idea as no one has given back feedback about this. It could be connected to Sicily and Pantelleria.
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby Marvaddin on Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:14 am

How about Italia map having 42 territories and Malta map (that minor minor TINY country) having 24 territories? This I can agree, although I think 32 should be the minimum of countries. You can make a map with less countries, but I dont think it should be Italia, since its an important country, and we have many insignificant areas that people wants to make a map of.

Corsica in Italia map??? ](*,)

And by the way Ireland is a very bad map. It just has graphics, nothing more.
Major Marvaddin

Postby Ruben Cassar on Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:56 am

Marvaddin wrote:How about Italia map having 42 territories and Malta map (that minor minor TINY country) having 24 territories? This I can agree, although I think 32 should be the minimum of countries. You can make a map with less countries, but I dont think it should be Italia, since its an important country, and we have many insignificant areas that people wants to make a map of.

Corsica in Italia map??? ](*,)

And by the way Ireland is a very bad map. It just has graphics, nothing more.

Once again it's a matter of taste. I like the Ireland map.
I don't particularly like the Brazil map though (that huge huge ENORMOUS country)! :P

However maybe you are right...Italy is an important country and it deserves more regions. Maybe someone could do another version of Italy with more regions in the future. Have a go at it Marvaddin since you don't like this version!
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby gavin_sidhu on Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:55 am

You need to split up Emila-Romagna for playability purposes, otherwise this map is too much of a choke point. We already have a chokepoint map in Indochina.
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby RjBeals on Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:50 pm

1) Increased to 32 countries (trying to keep true to the Italian landscape)
2) Increased water routes
3) Created Po River inpassable border
4) Territory names are italian

Private RjBeals

Postby Ruben Cassar on Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:27 pm

Use these names for the regions:
Abruzzo
Basilicata
Calabria
Campania
Emilia-Romagna
Friuli-Venezia Giulia
Lazio
Liguria
Lombardia
Marche
Molise
Piemonte
Puglia
Sardegna
Sicilia
Toscana
Trentino-Alto Adige
Umbria
Valle d'Aosta
Veneto

Use these names for the cities:
Roma
Torino
Milano

I would also add the word Parte in front of Meridionale in the legend. Italians use the word bonus as well if you want to use that for Roma bonus.

I must say the map is shaping up well. I like what you've done so far!
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby Ruben Cassar on Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:29 pm

In Sicilia you might consider the idea of using the main city Palermo instead of dividing it as North and South, just like you did with Milano, Roma and Torino.
Colonel Ruben Cassar

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas