Conquer Club

[Official] Classic Revamp [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: [Official] Classic Revamp [Quenched]

Postby nesterdude on Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:00 pm

Thank you Sulli.
High: 08 Dec. 08; Pts: 3141 Ranking: 57 Rank: Brig
Lordhaha is my hero too.
Cook nesterdude

Postby john9blue on Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:18 pm

The Art games should have stayed Art... so the people who hate lines can have the discrete territories. Shapes was lines anyway, so this should have simply replaced Shapes, like Shapes replaced the old Classic... ;)
natty_dread wrote:Do ponies have sex?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
(proud member of the Occasionally Wrongly Banned)
Captain john9blue

Postby Esn on Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:19 pm

To be honest, I liked the simplicity of "Shapes". Also, typing "attack F5" is easier than typing "attack Johannesburg". I guess I'll get used to it.

It does look very nice, though.
Sergeant 1st Class Esn

Postby saaimen on Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:51 pm

Imagine yourself coming to this site for the very first time. You've probably googled "Risk", and you're expecting to see some nice and advanced form of the board game you love.

You come here, have a look around and see that most games are played on this ugly grey thing called "Classic shapes" with codenames instead of actual words.

Would you stay?
ImageImage
Winner of "As Easy As 1, 2, 3! - Africa I", "Championship Series: British Isles",
"1v1 Battle to Rule Doodle Earth 2", "Connect 4 (Restarted)" and "Blind Fold Buddy - BeNeLux"
Sergeant 1st Class saaimen

Postby stahrgazer on Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:55 pm

sully800 wrote:
stahrgazer wrote:The site has, backhandedly, acknowledged the confusion by allowing those in SoC to somehow see this map with Shapes' overlay (lucky them).

This is the third thread in which I have read this incorrect statement - I'm only responding again in case someone else does not see the correction.

SoC members see the exact same map as everyone else, not Shapes. However in addition to the city names, the letter/number names from shapes are placed on the map. This was done because the SoC has already written strategies using the Shapes names, and they will continue to do so because it is faster and easier for them.

If anything it makes the map more confusing (IMO) since there are two sets of names for each territory. The city names are used in the gamelog for both versions of the map.

Thanks for clarifying :)

Obviously, I misunderstood what Lack said about it.

However, I still think the regions are horridly difficult to discern with no between-country borders; and the aesthetics of the underlying new map are harmed by all the white arcs that define strike paths.

Regardless, I commend you for working on it.

As for the lack of transition, someone in some thread (this or another) made a suggestion that an announcement get placed within the maps themselves prior to a changeover. If that's at all feasible, that seems reasonable. Or perhaps a daily countdown banner as you come on CC, like they do with some major announcments. While it doesn't help when someone joined one map and it's suddenly another, if they get like a 30-day countdown, it's a better warning system. Then again, is it likely to be needed ever again?
Sergeant stahrgazer

Postby MrBenn on Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:35 pm

The decision to merge the maps together was taken by lackattack. While I'm sad to see it go, I'm supportive of his decision.

On another subject, let's try and keep the discussion amicable - I don't really want to have to put on my Big Bad Mod Boots to do some stomping!
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby The Neon Peon on Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:57 pm

To be honest, lines make more sense for a map than territories. The only problem is that we've been playing on territories for too long a time.

- In a line map, to see what connects to one territory, you look at the territory, and simply follow the lines and see where they lead.
- In a normal map, to see what connects to one territory, you look at the territory, find the squiggly shape around it, look at the squiggly shapes around that shape, and see how many of them share an edge with that territory. Once you've found the squiggly shape that has a side shared with the territory, you look in the squiggly shape to see what the name of it is.

Isn't that the process you have to go through? On a regular map, you have to go through that process, or a similar one. (although it occurs in a very small amount of time)

Also, line maps allow the maker to do more with the graphics. Just look at the texture and many colors of land on this map. You'd have to get rid of most of it if you were to color the territories. (I know someone will say that the lines detract from the image, but aren't the territory borders on normal maps also lines, except ones that don't go in a very straight path?)

But, as I said, we've been playing on territories for a much longer time and we've gotten used to it. So for everyone (unless you've played mostly rail maps or Midkermil), you'll be slower in playing this map than you would have been, and it will seem more confusing. But really, a lines system for maps makes more sense, in my opinion. We just need to get used to it.
Lieutenant The Neon Peon

Postby natty dread on Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:53 pm

But really, a lines system for maps makes more sense, in my opinion. We just need to get used to it.

Right on! Then maybe there's still hope for my Nordic countries map...
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby Gilligan on Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:18 am

The XML says 'Beunos Aires'
Captain Gilligan

Postby MrBenn on Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:45 am

Gilligan wrote:The XML says 'Beunos Aires'

I believe a corrected version of the XML has already been sent to lackattack....
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Gilligan on Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:47 am

MrBenn wrote:
Gilligan wrote:The XML says 'Beunos Aires'

I believe a corrected version of the XML has already been sent to lackattack....

My bad. Too many of unread pages to have gone back and searches them :lol:
Captain Gilligan

Re: [Official] Classic Revamp (V11, page 37, 12/29/09)

Postby bedub1 on Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:47 pm

bedub1 wrote:I saw the message it was updated, had to go check it out.

I still think it's retarded in order to see all the maps you first click on "start a game" and then on "browse maps". There should be a link to "map gallery" right below "game finder" or something....but on to the map.

It looks okay, except for Novosibirsk. Those 3 lines, 1 running all the way down to manila, is very poorly done.

Looking back through the revisions, R6 looks to be where it went from "Awesome start" to "now we are going down hill".

I guess i'm the only one then....
Colonel bedub1

Postby stahrgazer on Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:38 pm

natty_dread wrote:
But really, a lines system for maps makes more sense, in my opinion. We just need to get used to it.

Right on! Then maybe there's still hope for my Nordic countries map...

I disagree that lines crossing over non-attack terrs makes more sense. If you want lines, why bother with graphics at all?
Sergeant stahrgazer

Postby saaimen on Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:37 pm

That doesn't make sense. Graphics contain lines no matter what, lines connecting dots or lines enclosing regions.

sully800...
I hadn't noticed until now - you totally forgot about Jo'burg???

Edit: no, you didn't. You moved it on the large but not on the small?
ImageImage
Winner of "As Easy As 1, 2, 3! - Africa I", "Championship Series: British Isles",
"1v1 Battle to Rule Doodle Earth 2", "Connect 4 (Restarted)" and "Blind Fold Buddy - BeNeLux"

Postby sully800 on Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:42 pm

saaimen wrote:That doesn't make sense. Graphics contain lines no matter what, lines connecting dots or lines enclosing regions.

sully800...
I hadn't noticed until now - you totally forgot about Jo'burg???

Edit: no, you didn't. You moved it on the large but not on the small?

The large had been way further off than the small, so it was moved inland. On the small map, the circles are the same size but the land is smaller so the circle still covers Johannesburg.
Major sully800

Postby stahrgazer on Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:09 am

saaimen wrote:That doesn't make sense. Graphics contain lines no matter what, lines connecting dots or lines enclosing regions.

If you can't see the difference between connectors and criss-crossers, I feel sorry for you ;)
Sergeant stahrgazer

Little mistake

Postby sebaojeda on Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:18 pm

In the new Classic Map, "Buenos Aires" is correctly written on the map, but appears as "Beunos Aires" in the log and in the list of regions when you attack or reinforce.
Really little. Not even a bug or problem. I leave in the city, that´s why I noticed.

Thanks.
Sergeant 1st Class sebaojeda

Re: [Official] Classic Revamp (V11, page 37, 12/29/09)

Postby Esn on Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:15 am

bedub1 wrote:
bedub1 wrote:I saw the message it was updated, had to go check it out.

I still think it's retarded in order to see all the maps you first click on "start a game" and then on "browse maps". There should be a link to "map gallery" right below "game finder" or something....but on to the map.

It looks okay, except for Novosibirsk. Those 3 lines, 1 running all the way down to manila, is very poorly done.

Looking back through the revisions, R6 looks to be where it went from "Awesome start" to "now we are going down hill".

I guess i'm the only one then....

I agree, V6 looks nicer than the current version. And those lines going down from Novosibirsk are a bit ugly and confusing.

Also... I'm sorry for not reading through the whole thread, but why was Port Moresby added, which was not in V6?
Sergeant 1st Class Esn

Postby sensfan on Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:08 am

Bug.
On the map, territory S4 (Buenos Aires) appears on the picklist as Beunos Aires! A minor spelling error, but it's still a error.

My TPA tournament, Chief Trio, is up. Join it now:http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=159516

I cover the TPA Wrap for the CC Newsletter.
Cook sensfan

Location: In front of my computer sitting on a comfy computer chair

Postby jiminski on Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:54 am

sensfan wrote:Bug.
On the map, territory S4 (Buenos Aires) appears on the picklist as Beunos Aires! A minor spelling error, but it's still a error.

i reckon that has been dealt with mate, it's because the image is of the older version.
Captain jiminski

Postby ender516 on Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:53 pm

jiminski wrote:
sensfan wrote:Bug.

i reckon that has been dealt with mate, it's because the image is of the older version.

Since the error shows in the picklist, that means the problem is in the XML, and a quick peek at http://www.conquerclub.com/maps/Classic.xml shows that to be the case. However, I think this was mentioned earlier by MrBenn so we are just waiting for another upload by lack.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Re: Little mistake

Postby edwinissweet on Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:47 am

sebaojeda wrote:In the new Classic Map, "Buenos Aires" is correctly written on the map, but appears as "Beunos Aires" in the log and in the list of regions when you attack or reinforce.
Really little. Not even a bug or problem. I leave in the city, that´s why I noticed.

Thanks.

hmm, true
Last edited by samuelc812 on Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added quote because of merge
Lieutenant edwinissweet

Re: Little mistake

Postby samuelc812 on Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:25 am

Merged with the Classic Map Thread ;)

~Sam
Captain samuelc812

Postby Lionz on Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:17 am

General Lionz

Postby saaimen on Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:07 pm

sully800,

is there really no way to make the in-game image resemble what you produced here?
It's a disgrace...
ImageImage

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas