Conquer Club

[GO] Relaxing Weekend Turns

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Re: Relaxing Weekend Turns

Postby jefjef on Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:06 am

The cure for what ails you is a SITTER.
This post was made by jefjef who should be on your ignore list.
drunkmonkey wrote:I'm filing a C&A report right now. Its nice because they have a drop-down for "jefjef".
Colonel jefjef

Postby Woodruff on Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:12 pm

Matthys wrote:
Woodruff wrote:Sorry, but the suggestion and even moreso your justification really comes across to me as being thorougly selfish in nature, rather than an attempt to help the site in a significant way.

And so does your opposition to the proposal. (As a self-proclaimed weekend player)

And yet, as a self-proclaimed weekend-preferred player, I do make a point of not missing my turns, whether they be over the weekend or on a weekday.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:34 pm

I think instead of "relaxing weekend turns" it would be better to focus on an account sitting feature---where you can given limited access to your account to a user to watch over your games. I think this sort of feature, or something similar, would benefit more of the community than just relaxing weekend turns.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby azezzo on Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:53 pm

typically 24 hrs is more tahn enough time to check your games and take a turn or two, if time is an issue, i suggest you play fewer games at the same time
Captain azezzo

Postby Matthys on Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:25 am

Woodruff wrote:
Matthys wrote:
Woodruff wrote:Sorry, but the suggestion and even moreso your justification really comes across to me as being thorougly selfish in nature, rather than an attempt to help the site in a significant way.

And so does your opposition to the proposal. (As a self-proclaimed weekend player)

And yet, as a self-proclaimed weekend-preferred player, I do make a point of not missing my turns, whether they be over the weekend or on a weekday.

As if you have a choice, since the week is muuuch longer than the weekend.
My point is, there are actually players that will use this, just as there are players like you, who could actually benefit from an similar but inverse feature.
I live in South Africa, our internet access is monopolized by a company called Telkom, we pay an arm and a leg for internet access, hence I do not even have internet at home since the cost outweighs the benefits.
Corporal 1st Class Matthys

Postby Woodruff on Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:55 pm

Matthys wrote:
Woodruff wrote:
Matthys wrote:

As if you have a choice, since the week is muuuch longer than the weekend.

I DO have a choice. I CHOOSE not to miss my turns.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.

Postby urbansloth on Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:48 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:I think instead of "relaxing weekend turns" it would be better to focus on an account sitting feature---where you can given limited access to your account to a user to watch over your games. I think this sort of feature, or something similar, would benefit more of the community than just relaxing weekend turns.

--Andy

This assumes you know a suitable account-sitter. Not everyone does (think of the new members that you should be caring about - the ones missing most turns), and not everyone (few in fact) are willing to head off to the forums to hunt down a complete stranger to do the job.

Don't make the mistake of thinking your entire demographic is technology savvy and regularly "online" - a large portion of the online strategy gaming demographic is the same folk who don't work on a computer, but check their emails every day or 2, and like something to think about while they're online. It would pay to take a leaf from the numerous online chess sites, etc.

This site could be huge(r), if you make it accessible to that market. :)
Major urbansloth

Postby Woodruff on Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:04 pm

urbansloth wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:I think instead of "relaxing weekend turns" it would be better to focus on an account sitting feature---where you can given limited access to your account to a user to watch over your games. I think this sort of feature, or something similar, would benefit more of the community than just relaxing weekend turns.

--Andy

This assumes you know a suitable account-sitter. Not everyone does (think of the new members that you should be caring about - the ones missing most turns), and not everyone (few in fact) are willing to head off to the forums to hunt down a complete stranger to do the job.

Don't make the mistake of thinking your entire demographic is technology savvy and regularly "online" - a large portion of the online strategy gaming demographic is the same folk who don't work on a computer, but check their emails every day or 2, and like something to think about while they're online. It would pay to take a leaf from the numerous online chess sites, etc.

Quite honestly, I have a very difficult time believing that "a large portion of the online strategy gaming demographic is the same folk who don't work on a computer, but check their emails every day or 2". I'm not saying there aren't individuals who fit that bill at all...but it's not a significant number, in my opinion. Most people who play online strategy games are at LEAST very comfortable on a computer.

Postby urbansloth on Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:42 pm

Woodruff wrote: Most people who play online strategy games are at LEAST very comfortable on a computer.

Definitely, I agree - but they don't necessarily work on a computer, or regularly access one.

As an example, before discovering CC, I spent a lot of time on itsyourturn.com* - the majority of folk you come across there are 40+, and not the "techno-close-contact" kind. Damn, is there a better description for that...? :P

And I'm talking about 4-5 years ago, the internet has become tenfold more accessible since then. But I may be digressing from the topic. The OP was talking about a feature he wants to suit him - I'm talking about how something similar would make the site inclusive to a larger demographic (which kind of includes myself...but I'm managing).

* I'm aware it's not Risk games there, but the various strategy games, chess/chess variations predominantly. Stratego is a good crack too.
Major urbansloth

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:18 pm

urbansloth wrote:

--Andy

This site could be huge(r), if you make it accessible to that market. :)

I think a feature like the one I commented on (proposed by I can't remember a while ago), would be more inclusive in the long run, and more effective. It would not only help achieve a solution for times when users cannot play, but I think there could be added benefits...perhaps to Clans/Usergroups as well. Perhaps it'd encourage people to join a Clan/Usergroup, so they have reliable friends to depend on? Perhaps this would lead to more Clan Activity, and more Official Clan related events---perhaps increase user retention?

This is what I am getting at. I see more possible benefits to a designated sitter feature, as opposed to a relaxing weekend turns idea. Weekend relaxing seems more like a "dead end solution," in the sense that it may present a solution, but it seems to lead no where---or perhaps to at least less possibilities? I'm not sure. I may just be rambling. :)

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Dako on Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:26 pm

Same issue here - I tend to party and relax over weekends - often out of town. But I have reliable sitters in my clan so it is not a problem for me.

Also, designated sitter is a must feature. I'd better have it than prolonged turns. Thou I think adding 24 more hours if the person missed a turn over weekend is a nice thing to have as an option. it is just different things and the patch different issues. Just happened that here they crossed over.
Colonel Dako

Postby Matthys on Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:18 am

From the main page of this site:

"Designed for the casual gamer, playing Conquer Club is not a time consuming process. You can take your turn in 5 minutes with your morning cup of coffee or in between classes."

Sounds like an average WEEKday to me! :D

Postby AAFitz on Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:42 am

Ray Rider wrote:
SuicidalSnowman wrote:My two cents, I think it makes sense to let players set the time limit when creating a new game. 12 hours, 24 hours, 48 hours, or 72 hours.

As I see it, this makes the most sense out of any suggestion so far (although 72 hrs is just too long). Once you get into adjusting games according to certain days or work hours (as some have been suggesting), you run into far too many problems because of the different timezones.

Its without a doubt the only really practical option out there. In general, I think it would be a great option.

I do however predict that any option extending the turn to past 24 hours however, will create a setting that will become one of the biggest farming settings around. At 24 hours, its hard to forget when to play, but for those who use the 72 hour option, its not hard to imagine that those turns will get missed more often, however ironic that may be. Not saying its reason not to have the option. I think in general any option to allow more to play is a good one. And since its up to the people who join, and set them up to decide, it changes nothing for those who don't like it.

To be perfectly honest, Im surprised it hasnt been implemented already, except that I suspect that any that really need this option now, probably arent premiums, if they really cant play every day. However, it does mean more might be able to become premiums.

I personally love the idea of a 3 day per move game. As long as the other ones are there, it would be a nice way to be able to play more, because you wouldnt be forced to make all turns at the same time.
I'm Spanking Monkey now....err...I mean I'm a Spanking Monkey now...that shoots milk
Too much. I know.
Sergeant 1st Class AAFitz

Postby AAFitz on Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:50 am

Matthys wrote:From the main page of this site:

"Designed for the casual gamer, playing Conquer Club is not a time consuming process. You can take your turn in 5 minutes with your morning cup of coffee or in between classes."

Sounds like an average WEEKday to me! :D

So, right now your a freemium which of course is fine. I assume its partly because you can't play on the weekends. If a 72 hour option was implemented, would you then buy premium, not having to worry about those weekend turns, or...and dont take this personally....is your suggestion more aimed at letting you just kind of use the site even more to a degree for free, without much of a commitment whatsoever?

Again, dont overreact to that question, its your suggestion, and surely its obvious many will do just that...which is fine....the idea of a premium is to get more people here... Im only interested in what your plans were, especially because you are a freemium, and took the time to make a suggestion.
I'm Spanking Monkey now....err...I mean I'm a Spanking Monkey now...that shoots milk
Too much. I know.

Postby Matthys on Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:39 am

AAFitz wrote:So, right now your a freemium which of course is fine. I assume its partly because you can't play on the weekends. If a 72 hour option was implemented, would you then buy premium, not having to worry about those weekend turns,

AAFitz, not always being able to play over weekends (although I do try), really makes this site something I wouldn't seriously consider paying money to use. I do look forward to every Monday morning's turns and missing any of them over the weekend messes up any and all strategy I have conjured up before. I don't live on the internet, nor do I live to play this game, which I see, purely as a fun break away from a hard day's work, it helps me clear my mind. I will more than likely become a premium member if such* an option is introduced, but I would most probably not play more than 4 or 5 games at a time.
* - the option I'm referring to is however not the 72hour option, albeit the simplest solution, it will make for a very slow game experience overall. But if that's the only solution on the table, I guess I'll take it. I'll probably have to join up to 10 games of that turn length to ensure I have at least a turn or two every weekday.

Postby AAFitz on Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:24 am

Matthys wrote:
AAFitz wrote:So, right now your a freemium which of course is fine. I assume its partly because you can't play on the weekends. If a 72 hour option was implemented, would you then buy premium, not having to worry about those weekend turns,

AAFitz, not always being able to play over weekends (although I do try), really makes this site something I wouldn't seriously consider paying money to use. I do look forward to every Monday morning's turns and missing any of them over the weekend messes up any and all strategy I have conjured up before. I don't live on the internet, nor do I live to play this game, which I see, purely as a fun break away from a hard day's work, it helps me clear my mind. I will more than likely become a premium member if such* an option is introduced, but I would most probably not play more than 4 or 5 games at a time.
* - the option I'm referring to is however not the 72hour option, albeit the simplest solution, it will make for a very slow game experience overall. But if that's the only solution on the table, I guess I'll take it. I'll probably have to join up to 10 games of that turn length to ensure I have at least a turn or two every weekday.

Well, that was the answer I expected. Certainly just a weekend pass for people is not fair, because the entire term week end is subjective given varying time zones, work weeks etc. By the time you factor those in to be fair, your at 3 or 4 days anyways, and you pretty much might as well make it the rest of the week.

I do like the 48h and 72h, and hell, even a 7 day waiting period for some games. It would be interesting to grab the few players out there that really probably have a lot to add to the game, but simply cant commit to even checking every day.

It would be a smaller number of people playing them, but I do think it would definitely add a few players....would it be justified? thats hard to say really.

You should keep in mind though, I would still expect most in a 72 hour game to actually be playing every 24 hours or so. It would really probably only be once in a while that a player took the whole three days. It would be more of a build game that came onto the radar every once in a while.

Also, with a 72 hour option, you could easily buy premium, and play multiple games, and not increase your real game load by that much, because it would be more rare to have all the games be at your turn at the same time.

The idea for every suggestion has to on some level be based on gaining new paying members. Its the only viable way to keep CC growing, and insure it can be updated with such features, so features just aimed to make it better for freemiums, without really increasing the likely hood that they might actually buy a premium, simply cant be prioritized in my opinion.
Too much. I know.

Postby SirSebstar on Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:50 am

for those freemiums who like to play a game during weekhours only, you are best off with a membership and then to start playing speed games only. that way you never has to miss turns due to the weekends...
or try to get an RT (real time) game going from the live chat... and hope everybody sticks with it till the end.
I suggest escalating as your favorite setting as they tend much less to be buildersgames
Major SirSebstar

Location: SirSebstar is BACK. Highscore: Colonel Score: 2919 21/03/2011

Postby Matthys on Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:48 am

AAFitz wrote:You should keep in mind though, I would still expect most in a 72 hour game to actually be playing every 24 hours or so. It would really probably only be once in a while that a player took the whole three days. It would be more of a build game that came onto the radar every once in a while.

Very true, this option is starting to sound more and more alluring!

AAFitz wrote:Also, with a 72 hour option, you could easily buy premium, and play multiple games, and not increase your real game load by that much, because it would be more rare to have all the games be at your turn at the same time.

The idea for every suggestion has to on some level be based on gaining new paying members. Its the only viable way to keep CC growing, and insure it can be updated with such features, so features just aimed to make it better for freemiums, without really increasing the likely hood that they might actually buy a premium, simply cant be prioritized in my opinion.

O.k, so how about a 72 hour option, available to premium members only?

No weekend time limit option

Postby thaddeas on Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:43 am

It would be nice to have the option for no time limits on weekends, or other time limit variables. This way people could do things like camping without missing turns.
Private thaddeas

Re: No weekend time limit option

Postby TheForgivenOne on Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:47 pm

This would make some games unbelievably long. As players could decide that "Eh, screw it, It's the weekend, i don't feel like logging on to take my turns." If you are going away camping, find an account sitter, or get a friend to do it for you.
Game 1675072
2018-08-09 16:02:06 - Mageplunka69: its jamaica map and TFO that keep me on this site
Major TheForgivenOne

Postby thaddeas on Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:10 pm

That's why it should only be an option. It would make games longer, but I assume that there are enough people who would use the option to make it worth while.
Private thaddeas

Postby JoshyBoy on Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:51 pm

Hmmm. Just use an account sitter.
drunkmonkey wrote:I honestly wonder why anyone becomes a mod on this site. You're the whiniest bunch of players imaginable.

Ron Burgundy wrote:Why don't you go back to your home on Whore Island?
Lieutenant JoshyBoy

Postby Woodruff on Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:02 pm

thaddeas wrote:It would be nice to have the option for no time limits on weekends, or other time limit variables. This way people could do things like camping without missing turns.

This is the whole reason that account sitting exists. Also, it's been suggested and rejected previously.

Postby thaddeas on Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:07 pm

I'm new to this site. How do people go about finding account sitters
Private thaddeas

Postby greenoaks on Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:47 am

thaddeas wrote: ......, but I assume that there are enough people who would use the option to make it worth while.

what have you seen or heard that would make you assume this ?
Sergeant greenoaks

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions