Conquer Club

[GO] No Dice Games

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

[GO] No Dice Games

Postby PaperPlunger on Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:25 pm

[MOD EDIT: The reason this is REJECTED is the possibility of unbreakable stalemates. See here, here and here. Feel free to continue the discussion here, but unless these difficulties can be overcome, this will not be implemented. If you see a thread that should be merged here, please inform a moderator. -- agentcom]

Dragonfly told me that he thought the dice rolls should always lose one each. Meaning there would be no rolls. If / when you hit attack, you always lose one army, and the defender always loses one army. Basically saying, if you have less armies than the territory you would like to conquer, you can't get it.

What do you folks think? I think it's reallllly stupid, but that's just my opinion. He also says it would incorporate more strategy into the game, and it would solve all the dice dilemmas.

Gimme your opinion. Which he will read.

Dragonfly's edit----

DF: "I know it's not traditional risk, but maybe it could be a game option... or something. Besides this whole site isn't exactly traditional risk roflrofl :lol: "

2nd edit---

Basically saying, if you have less armies than the territory you would like to conquer, you can't get it.

DF: "If you have more armies than the select enemy territory, you will ALWAYS get it"

Image]
Last edited by PaperPlunger on Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Private PaperPlunger

Postby HighBorn on Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:42 pm

ok... Im just gonna leave it at that...
Private 1st Class HighBorn

Postby Herakilla on Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:59 pm

this would mean very slow games until some1 gets an advantage then its one way from there. it either does nothing or reduces strategy since you cant do sneak attacks cuz it will be easier to figure out what other people want and what to do to stop it. also this would be affected by whos has the faster browser in freestyle (i know that is true for now but i mean moreso than now). my guess is that most experienced players wont want it since it requires a complete overhaul of tactics and they like their points where they are.

:idea: this is creative ill say that since your going where no1 else has dared.... into changing how attacking works. :wink:

i may sound mean but im having a shit day. my sis got in an accident and i dunno what happened as of this time and work was hell today.
Come join us in Live Chat!
Lieutenant Herakilla

Postby wacicha on Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:09 pm

i guess if i were having nothing but bad rolls this could be an option. But on numerous occasions i go against a bigger stack and win. something closer to like real life just because you have the biggest army does not mean you are gonna win.
Major wacicha

Postby Jota on Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:25 pm

I could see this as an option on the Start A Game page. Not a popular one, admittedly.
Sergeant 1st Class Jota

Postby kingwaffles on Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:34 pm

No....

this has been brought up before(similar idea anyways) and shot down. It takes away the whole Risk idea of the game....
Corporal 1st Class kingwaffles

Postby dragonfly on Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:14 pm

you guys are crazy. i think its a great idea. hoorah to that guy who voted yes.
Corporal 1st Class dragonfly

Postby alster on Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:16 pm

That would, in effect, turn the risk copy cat game into a diplomacy copy cat wanna be game.

In diplomacy you're limited to one army per territory and it works with the rule that 2 (attackers) beats 1 (defender). Diplomacy is a great game, but to remove the dice concept here, well. Dunno. Maybe as a game setting option though if people want to play it that way.

It would create games were you would induce more alliance building perhaps. But still. Dunno. It would be weird to have the diplomacy attack rules somewhat modified into the risk game.
Gengoldy wrote:Of all the games I've played, and there have been some poor sports and cursing players out there, you are by far the lowest and with the least class.
Sergeant 1st Class alster

Postby dragonfly on Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:18 pm

by the way, kingwaffles, we have the exact same score. im pretty pumped about that.
Corporal 1st Class dragonfly

Postby PaperPlunger on Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:35 pm

dragonfly wrote:by the way, kingwaffles, we have the exact same score. im pretty pumped about that.

that's irrelevant.
Private PaperPlunger

Postby alster on Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:43 pm

PaperPlunger wrote:
dragonfly wrote:by the way, kingwaffles, we have the exact same score. im pretty pumped about that.

that's irrelevant.

No shit. How did you come to that conclusion Sherlock? :D

*leaning down and hugging the cute animal*
Gengoldy wrote:Of all the games I've played, and there have been some poor sports and cursing players out there, you are by far the lowest and with the least class.
Sergeant 1st Class alster

Postby Scorba on Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:34 am

alstergren wrote:*leaning down and hugging the cute animal*

You do realise that PP has stuck a firework up the cute animal's backside? Watch as the flames shoot out and it leaps forward shouting "Grue!" in pain and surprise. Everytime I see it I think to myself "that PaperPlunger's a right cruel bastard".

By the way, Dragonfly's idea sucks.
Taking an enemy on the battlefield is like a hawk taking a bird. Though it enters into the midst of a thousand of them, it pays no attention to any bird other than the one it has first marked.
Lieutenant Scorba

Postby PaperPlunger on Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:32 am

Scorba wrote:
alstergren wrote:*leaning down and hugging the cute animal*

You do realise that PP has stuck a firework up the cute animal's backside? Watch as the flames shoot out and it leaps forward shouting "Grue!" in pain and surprise. Everytime I see it I think to myself "that PaperPlunger's a right cruel bastard".

By the way, Dragonfly's idea sucks.

I just woke up.... that post was hilarious.
Private PaperPlunger

MUTUALLY ASSURED DESTRUCTION -- One-For-One RISK

Postby CreepyUncleAndy on Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:50 pm

A few years ago, my friends (who are avid RISK players) got tired of rolling dice, and started playing RISK a new way:

When invading another territory, armies mutually annihilate each other at the ratio of 1:1. In other words, if you have 1 army guarding Kamchatka, I must have at least 3 armies in Alaska in order to take it (from across the Bering Straight) -- 1 army to annihilate (and be annihilated by) your 1 occupying army, 1 army to invade and occupy Kamchatka, and 1 army to remain behind in Alaska.

Perhaps this can be incorporated as a game option on Conquer Club?

Possibly the Rate of Attrition could be adjusted from 1:1 to x:y (ratios could favor the attacker, the defender, or neither)....

(And, possibly, maps could be created that change the attrition ratio from 1:1 to, say, 3:2 or 1:2 in certain territories, but one thing at a time.)
Private CreepyUncleAndy

Postby CreepyUncleAndy on Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:57 pm

And, to go even more nuts, possibly attrition rates can vary from border to border -- i.e., you might get slaughtered attacking Western Europe from Britain (3:1) but invading Western Europe from Central Europe might be easier (2:3). But this, of course, introduces a whole new set of classes and objects and all kinds of coding issues that the game afaik does not (yet) allow for, not to mention fundamentally changing the substance of the game....
Private CreepyUncleAndy

Postby sully800 on Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:02 pm

It takes away the whole "risk" aspect of the game, and would change it into something completely different.

However I would play it now and then for fun, because sometimes it is nice to eliminate as much luck as possible.

What would you do though while attacking against a single army? If you still lose 1:1 in that situation it seems like there is a problem, because normally you would win those attacks much more often than you would lose them.

Anyway, I doubt it would be implemented but I think it would be at least slightly interesting.
Major sully800

Postby gulio on Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:23 pm

I can just see someone holding AUstralia and putting 5 onto siam each turn for.. um.... 40 turns?... would be fun though.
Corporal gulio

Postby joeyjordison on Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:57 pm

basically if u don't get gd placement then u r dead. everyone starts with the same armies so everyone will kill each other the same amount. this would be true until someone flucily got a bonus at which point they would automatically win unless there was an alliance made against them or a series of attacks by separate players.
i get annoyed by dodgy dice. today for example i lost 10 armies straight in one game. didn't even kill 1 army. next game i go to take a turn and lose 4 armies straight, don't make a single kill. next game i get perfect dice and take every territory i attack without a casualty! took an entire continent from a guy!
this is just the way the dice r and risk wouldn't b risk without dice
Major joeyjordison

Postby gulio on Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:05 pm

I could see using the cards for something - IE if you held E.Austrailia and you were attackign E.Australia you could get a "One time bonus" of autokilling 1 unit per turn...
Corporal gulio

Postby spiesr on Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:55 am

It would be impossipible to do anything at the start.
Captain spiesr

Postby SirSebstar on Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:15 am

not impossible. you would just need more then 1 country to border the country you are trying to invade.
oh and you get a minimum of 3 troops to begin with. so basicly, you can attack ony 1 country and win.!
Major SirSebstar

Location: SirSebstar is BACK. Highscore: Colonel Score: 2919 21/03/2011

Postby CreepyUncleAndy on Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:35 am

Actually, if there are 3 armies on a territory, you would have to attack it 3 armies of your own to wipe out the 3 defending armies, then send in a 4th army to occupy (and leave at least 1 army behind in each territory you attack from).

At the beginning of the game, each territory has 3 armies on it. So, if you were lucky enough to occupy an enemy territory's two neighboring territories, you would be able to send 2 armies from each of two territories (leaving 1 behind in each) for a total of 4 attacking armies to annihilate your enemy's 3 armies (leaving 1 of your armies alive to occupy the conquered territory).
Private CreepyUncleAndy

Postby Lupo on Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:02 am

Honestly i think it would be much more Risk minded to play with Italian Risk rules, where you could both attack both defend with 3 dice!

In this way the ratio between armies lost from attacker and the ones from defender would be, in average, around 2:1 instead of 1:1.

I could tell you that in this way Risk game would be more tactical and I would say even more exiting, since this would change complitely the game in a better one, at least in my opinion!

So, my suggestion would be to give the option to choose between:

International Risk rules (2 dice defending)

and Italian Risk rules (3 dice defending)
"Nature is a temple in which living pillars
Sometimes emit confused words;
Man crosses it through forests of symbols
That observe him with familiar glances."
Sergeant 1st Class Lupo

Postby gavin_sidhu on Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:27 am

posted twice.
Last edited by gavin_sidhu on Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Highest Score: 1843 Ranking (Australians): 3
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby gavin_sidhu on Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:27 am

So italians like their risk like their football, defensive.

Dont like the idea, could get boring (as italian football gets sometimes).
Highest Score: 1843 Ranking (Australians): 3
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Next

Return to Suggestions