Conquer Club

[EoA] [Rules] Limit Signature Image File Size!

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

[EoA] [Rules] Limit Signature Image File Size!

Postby mibi on Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:17 am

I see this sig everywhere

its fun times and all but its well over a meg in size and seems to cause some problems when there are other more important images hosted by photobucket on the same thread.

I know you mods throw fit when a sig is 5px too big, but can there be a filesize limit too?
Captain mibi

Postby AndyDufresne on Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:30 am

With phpBB 3.0, I think we'll be able to set max. limits on such things, so we may just wait until then.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby cdnfireman on Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:05 am

I have to agree with this topic, matter of fact I was going to start one when I saw this one started already. I have a pretty good up to date computer, and I have high speed cable connection which works very well. But when I'm scrolling down the forums there are a few banners which really bung me up, not too bad for me because of my computer and connection, but like Mr T would say: I pity the fool that uses a 386 and dial up connection.

Damn now I'm really dating my age by saying a 386, glad I didn't mention my Texas Instument TI-99 casette hard drive computer I owned before that #-o
Corporal 1st Class cdnfireman

Postby cdnfireman on Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:08 am

Or politely ask the owners of those banners to make them smaller, then you wont need to spend your valuable time trying to limit the sizes.
Corporal 1st Class cdnfireman

Postby yeti_c on Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:10 am

I know that this isn't the point...

But someone released a GM script that stops avatars and sigs showing...

Could probably be modified to only show files less than 300k big or something...

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby loopinvariant on Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:49 am

yeti_c wrote:I know that this isn't the point...

Could probably be modified to only show files less than 300k big or something...

C.

Right now FF still loads the images, I don't know if that can be prevented. It just toggles the image/sig display using a DIV.
Corporal 1st Class loopinvariant

Postby yeti_c on Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:53 am

loopinvariant wrote:
yeti_c wrote:I know that this isn't the point...

C.

Right now FF still loads the images, I don't know if that can be prevented. It just toggles the image/sig display using a DIV.

Good point - I should've known that - I'm awake to early!!!

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby treefiddy on Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:17 am

While I like the idea, I don't like that I just seem to believe you're only suggesting this because you and DiM are e-fighting right now.
Sergeant 1st Class treefiddy

Postby DiM on Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:31 am

treefiddy wrote:While I like the idea, I don't like that I just seem to believe you're only suggesting this because you and DiM are e-fighting right now.

qft,
anyway, regarding the sig size, i have seen worse sigs and simply blocked them. if you know how to use a computer then you'll know what to do, either adblock them from ff or use a gm script. i use both methods and i'm very satisfied that i don't have to look at flashy annoying things.

to mibi:
until rules are changed i will keep my sig, feel free to script ignore me like i do with you or adblock my sig. you're a smart boy you can handle it
:wink:

btw what are you going to do next? report my avatar because it shows a guy pushed off a cliff? report it for instigation to violence or something? :roll:
one thing i have to admit, you never cease to amaze me with how low a person can get :wink:
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby hecter on Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:00 pm

Cut the crap DiM... I just looked at it and the amount of redunant frames was INSANE! So I went through it to see what I've changed. I've cut the number of frames from 60 to 35, and the file size from over a meg (I think it was 1.3 megs) to just under 800kb.
In heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine... You got your things, and I've got mine.
Private 1st Class hecter

Postby mibi on Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:17 pm

DiM wrote:
treefiddy wrote:While I like the idea, I don't like that I just seem to believe you're only suggesting this because you and DiM are e-fighting right now.

qft,
anyway, regarding the sig size, i have seen worse sigs and simply blocked them. if you know how to use a computer then you'll know what to do, either adblock them from ff or use a gm script. i use both methods and i'm very satisfied that i don't have to look at flashy annoying things.

to mibi:
until rules are changed i will keep my sig, feel free to script ignore me like i do with you or adblock my sig. you're a smart boy you can handle it
:wink:

btw what are you going to do next? report my avatar because it shows a guy pushed off a cliff? report it for instigation to violence or something? :roll:
one thing i have to admit, you never cease to amaze me with how low a person can get :wink:

uh, this suggestion had nothing to do with DiM, of whom I could care less. anyways....
Captain mibi

Postby DiM on Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:28 pm

hecter wrote:Cut the crap DiM... I just looked at it and the amount of redunant frames was INSANE! So I went through it to see what I've changed. I've cut the number of frames from 60 to 35, and the file size from over a meg (I think it was 1.3 megs) to just under 800kb.

so the point is? :roll:
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby spinwizard on Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:30 pm

It makes the forum run smother? :)
Private 1st Class spinwizard

Postby hecter on Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:35 pm

DiM wrote:
hecter wrote:Cut the crap DiM... I just looked at it and the amount of redundant frames was INSANE! So I went through it to see what I've changed. I've cut the number of frames from 60 to 35, and the file size from over a meg (I think it was 1.3 megs) to just under 800kb.

so the point is? :roll:

The fact that your sig is huge for no reason at all. It's just assholish not to make it smaller.
In heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine... You got your things, and I've got mine.
Private 1st Class hecter

Postby mibi on Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:04 pm

here is another one

2 megs... might as well allow avi's and in peoples sigs..
Captain mibi

Postby firth4eva on Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:16 am

This thread took ages to load for me.
Captain firth4eva

Postby firth4eva on Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:56 am

Captain firth4eva

Postby treefiddy on Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:14 am

I vote Firth's signature image be ok no matter the size.
Sergeant 1st Class treefiddy

[Rules] Limit Signature Image File Size!

Postby Maugena on Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:27 pm

Limit Signature Image File Size!

Other forums have it for obvious reasons, yet ConquerClub does not. I'm not entirely shocked, but most definitely not pleased.
viewtopic.php?t=7785#p1759438

How would you like to load 4 * http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w38 ... aParty.gif ?

It most certainly lags the hell out of my browser and I do not appreciate it.
Please limit the sizes to something more reasonable.
Renewed yet infused with apathy.
Let's just have a good time, all right?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjQii_BboIk
New Recruit Maugena

Re: Limit Signature Image File Size!

Postby Maugena on Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:30 pm

Maugena wrote:Limit Signature Image File Size!

Other forums have it for obvious reasons, yet ConquerClub does not. I'm not entirely shocked, but most definitely not pleased.
viewtopic.php?t=7785#p1759438

How would you like to load 4 * http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w38 ... aParty.gif ?

It most certainly lags the hell out of my browser and I do not appreciate it.
Please limit the sizes to something more reasonable.

For example:
d2jsp Site Rules...
Signature Rules and Guidelines (violations may result in loss of rights to have a signature):
The entire size of your signature shall not exceed 400 pixels wide by 150 pixels high.
Text sections of your signature shall not exceed 6 lines of text if you include no images, and 3 lines of text if you have an image.
Total size of the images contained in your signature shall not exceed 70 kilobytes.

Phatscotty's image is 600 by 150, which I honestly have no problem with, however... 10.8 MB is extreme overkill.
Last edited by Maugena on Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
New Recruit Maugena

Postby Maugena on Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:31 pm

Try loading this page:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=174383

How does your computer fare?
New Recruit Maugena

Postby Maugena on Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:43 pm

Four of them.
show
New Recruit Maugena

Postby agentcom on Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:45 pm

Maugena wrote:Try loading this page:

Fine.

But as has been pointed out, the site already has limits (if not technologically enforced) on this. Perhaps you are suggesting such a technological restriction be put in place? Else you are in the wrong forum ... though I'm not sure where to direct you.
Colonel agentcom

Postby Maugena on Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:01 am

agentcom wrote:
Maugena wrote:Try loading this page:

Fine.

But as has been pointed out, the site already has limits (if not technologically enforced) on this. Perhaps you are suggesting such a technological restriction be put in place? Else you are in the wrong forum ... though I'm not sure where to direct you.

@Bolded - What has been pointed out? And what limits?
Signature images larger than 150 pixels high by 600 pixels wide just scream “I am compensating for something” and should be reduced in size. Note the dimensions size restriction is only in reference to the image. You may also have 2 additional levels of text / spoilers. In the spoiler below are some examples of acceptable signature configurations

There is no file size restriction, only dimensions (height and width).
New Recruit Maugena

Postby mviola on Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:04 am

This needs to happen, because I can't load any thread in which an Imperial Dragoon has posted.

Seriously, no one cares that you guys have a video as a sig.
High Score: 2906
Major mviola

Next

Return to Suggestions