Conquer Club

Large Printable Maps

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Re: Large Printable Maps

Postby greenoaks on Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:51 pm

i was thinking it would initially start in the Foundry and a stamp would be created for it.

feedback could be provided by the community just as happens now.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:13 pm

So how do we go about doing this, if map makers make the image and send it via PM to anyone who buys it, what is stopping them from giving it to the whole clan or anyone on a PM list? If we print it up and have it posted out, that will make the cost spiral.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby agentcom on Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:42 pm

Considering that most people don't have access to large printers like I and some others do, I would think that somebody would have to be in charge of making the actual boards. Obviously a few people here think it would be nice if the site did the production and shipping. The site would encourage it with the extra stamp and some $$. But you all know how long it takes suggestions to go through the process. If you wanted this to happen sooner rather than later, it would probably be best for some enterprising (or, more likely, charitable) individual to take this over off-site and hope we can bring it on-site later. The benefit to a mapmaker from doing this would be that I imagine the first person to enter the market is going to sell a few more maps than if he had waited, no matter which map that first one is.

That's for the hard-copies anyway. For the digital copies, the mapmakers could do this easier, but you're right about the difficulty in policing intellectual property on the internet ... just ask the music industry.

You could print, laminate and roll up a map and ship it in one of those architect/poster cylinder things and probably charge $10 and make a couple bucks per map. Oh and throw some cards in there, too. Or cut up the printout and paste it onto some type of folding foam board or card board and ship it in a box.

Board games usually cost like $20 anyway. This wouldn't be as nice as a professional boardgame, but it does have a factor of uniqueness to it. So mapmakers (or the site) might even be able to charge more than $10.

Once our new Chief gets finished with whatever transitional stuff he's still doing, I'll try to pass this idea along to him. But that's a pretty open-ended timeframe.
Colonel agentcom

Postby 72o on Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:55 am

If a mapmaker will give me any map, don't care which one, in a large format, I will get a prototype made of the "fathead" vinyl idea I posted earlier. This is a thick vinyl that should hold up fine, like the kind used in auto decals and such. It would be better than laminating in my opinion. Plus it could be stuck to the wall for you nerds that want to display the map when not in use.

I think it would be unique and probably more desirable than laminated paper, which to me screams cheap.
Sergeant 72o

Postby koontz1973 on Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:00 pm

Go to the general discussions thread, you will find Jakarta has already been done.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Publish and sell certain well liked CC maps as game boards

Postby sdkenned on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:33 pm

Concise description:
Players may like to collect and play actual, physical game boards of their favorite CC maps.

Specifics/Details:
The higher the quality, the better.

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
Increased revenues.
Captain sdkenned

Re: Publish and sell certain well liked CC maps as game boar

Postby jsnyder748 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:15 am

It couldn't be associated to risk or they would risk a big lawsuit.

Do you think they should just offer them to us through the cc store?
Colonel jsnyder748

Postby Koganosi on Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:52 am

jsnyder748 wrote:It couldn't be associated to risk or they would risk a big lawsuit.

Do you think they should just offer them to us through the cc store?

Isnt the cc store being taken down? And still issuing them in the cc store, could mean lawsuits.

Next to that, print them with your pc on high dev?

Urs

Koganosi
Major Koganosi

Postby Swifte on Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:25 pm

There was a big discussion on this issue not too long ago...

http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=181553&hilit=print
Colonel Swifte

Postby spiesr on Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:50 pm

MERGED into said discussion.
Captain spiesr

Postby Funkyterrance on Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:54 pm

So what did anyone figure the cost might be for one of these maps?
I just got a risk game at a second-hand shop the other day(my old board lives at my parent's house) and while the board is newish and pretty lame, the pieces are allright. I've got money sitting in paypal too so this would be the perfect time for me to get into this. :)
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby jsnyder748 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:51 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:So what did anyone figure the cost might be for one of these maps?
I just got a risk game at a second-hand shop the other day(my old board lives at my parent's house) and while the board is newish and pretty lame, the pieces are allright. I've got money sitting in paypal too so this would be the perfect time for me to get into this. :)

new maps like these would definitely spark the interest of my friends who I play board games with. I bet you could just print them out in high def and place them on a peice of cardboard.
Colonel jsnyder748

Postby betiko on Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:21 pm

haven't read all thr thread, but they should create board games buyable in the shop and give bacl royalties to the mapmaker who'se map has been bought from. but is there a real market?
Major betiko

Postby Funkyterrance on Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:27 pm

jsnyder748 wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:So what did anyone figure the cost might be for one of these maps?

new maps like these would definitely spark the interest of my friends who I play board games with. I bet you could just print them out in high def and place them on a peice of cardboard.

Yeah, I guess the issue is that the maps get fuzzy when you blow them up and they would be too small for the pieces the size they are now. I'd like the board to be close to or even larger than the board game, depending on the map. Like I play a lot of Poison Rome and there is virtually no space for pieces on that map. I suppose one downside to this is that some maps just wouldn't work since you can't put numbers on the board spaces, you have to put a bunch of little figures.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby 72o on Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:47 pm

I can get them printed on vinyl like a Fathead, 36" x 24", for like 50 bucks. That price could go down if the volume goes up.
Sergeant 72o

Previous

Return to Suggestions