Conquer Club

[Site/Forum] Highest Score Ever Achieved

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Re: Show highest attained rank on profile

Postby mcshanester29 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:54 pm

I like this suggestion!!
Private mcshanester29

Postby greenoaks on Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:56 pm

i'm rather meh about this. it might seem nice but like dice stats i don't see this adding much after the initial excitement wears off
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby Swifte on Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:06 pm

i think it'd be a nice feature.

we've been down these roads before though...

http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=471&t=146883
Colonel Swifte

Postby macbone on Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:11 pm

I think it'd be great!

On the chess site GameKnot, they include stats on a player's page, and one thing they track is your highest rank in the past 90 days, the past year, and all rated games. I don't think CC needs to bother going that far, but highest rank/score attained would be a nice addition to the profile.
Colonel macbone

Postby Kaskavel on Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:53 pm

I also like it, but after all, I am currently a captain as well as an ex-conqueror....
Colonel Kaskavel

Postby nicestash on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:31 pm

Kaskavel wrote:I also like it, but after all, I am currently a captain as well as an ex-conqueror....

That's just because you like to play real games-not just ones slanted completely in your favor. ;)
Major nicestash

Postby Funkyterrance on Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:13 am

I always thought it was wierd when people paste a picture of their highest rank or write it in their sig. It's basically like showing evidence they're washed up or something. You just end up thinking, "well that must have been a fluke" or "Hmm they must have lost their touch". I guess I'm not really anti or anything but I don't think that people who post that sort of thing realize what it looks like to others: kind of pathetic.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby betiko on Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:33 am

I think it's a great idea even if it has been proposed many times before. there are countless players out there posting their highest score/position on their wall (the rank is useless, you know what the score corresponds to..).
I don't think someone with an old great high score means he's a has been, it just means he stopped caring at some point because he is medal hunting, or has just been plaing stupid costy settings for fun, always good to know what your opponent is capable of.
Major betiko

Postby Funkyterrance on Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:47 pm

betiko wrote:I think it's a great idea even if it has been proposed many times before. there are countless players out there posting their highest score/position on their wall (the rank is useless, you know what the score corresponds to..).
I don't think someone with an old great high score means he's a has been, it just means he stopped caring at some point because he is medal hunting, or has just been plaing stupid costy settings for fun, always good to know what your opponent is capable of.

I didn't say it meant absolutely that he/she is a has-been but that's just what it looks like and since this suggestion probably appeals to people who are looking for prestige for a rank they no longer hold, it's just kind of an empty concept. So you've abandoned rank for the sake of getting medals, etc., but you want to show everyone that you were a contender once? Not only is it a "you can't have your cake and eat it too" sort of thing but it is evidence of being washed up in that it represents living in a past which does not currently apply to you. I can see the conqueror medal as that's a real achievement but if you've managed to reach Brig for a few days... Whoopdie dooo! If people want to show their highest rank attained, just put it in your sig like all the other sad looking people. If it means that much to you, this is a small amount of work and besides, most people don't really care obviously. Otherwise more people would be doing it.
This all reminds me of when you hear someone say "I used to be this/that" in rl. Your mental response is: Ok, so what? Are you insecure or something?
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby DoomYoshi on Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:59 pm

I don't see much advantage to this. Why not statistically relevant numbers instead of outliers? How about median, first and third quartile scores? "Highest" is an arbitrary score and tells us nothing.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby Grifter on Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:11 pm

Swifte wrote:i think it'd be a nice feature.

we've been down these roads before though...

http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=471&t=146883

It has been 2 years since it was last suggested so maybe a good time to revisit. A player's current rank is displayed in games and forums so having the highest attained rank on the profile shows what they have accomplished. I agree to include the highest attained score. I don't see much value to lowest score or rank.

FYI - if you want to learn about a Canadian soldier who was promoted (and demoted) 9 times then read about "Smokey" Smith who was a VC recipient http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smokey_Smith It was rumored that he spent the night in jail before receiving his award so he would be sober for the presentation. His highest attained rank was Sargeant.
Lieutenant Grifter

Postby Swimmerdude99 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:58 pm

I think it would be great to have this. I am one person who would really like to hit brig. and I could easily do that with team games because I'm so good ;) but when I start adding in fun games that are all chance I ahve to give up my ability to get a highscore, it would be great for the player to have a high scor eon their profile becasue as stated before it would allow us to have on there "what we are made of, as well as where we are actually at being the current score. I approve of this 100%
Offsite to 12/31/2023. Reach out to TheSpaceCowboy to reach me
Major Swimmerdude99

Postby A.D. on Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:16 pm

=D>
it's a too nostalgic idea?... not quite enough! XDDD
I love biographies, and I think they're good to improve strategy. know your opponent
Colonel A.D.

Postby chapcrap on Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:46 pm

MERGED suggestions here. Thank you, Swifte for the help.

I see no downside to having this other than the coding required. I'm in favor of it.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby betiko on Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:54 am

Funkyterrance wrote:
betiko wrote:I think it's a great idea even if it has been proposed many times before. there are countless players out there posting their highest score/position on their wall (the rank is useless, you know what the score corresponds to..).

I didn't say it meant absolutely that he/she is a has-been but that's just what it looks like and since this suggestion probably appeals to people who are looking for prestige for a rank they no longer hold, it's just kind of an empty concept. So you've abandoned rank for the sake of getting medals, etc., but you want to show everyone that you were a contender once? Not only is it a "you can't have your cake and eat it too" sort of thing but it is evidence of being washed up in that it represents living in a past which does not currently apply to you. I can see the conqueror medal as that's a real achievement but if you've managed to reach Brig for a few days... Whoopdie dooo! If people want to show their highest rank attained, just put it in your sig like all the other sad looking people. If it means that much to you, this is a small amount of work and besides, most people don't really care obviously. Otherwise more people would be doing it.
This all reminds me of when you hear someone say "I used to be this/that" in rl. Your mental response is: Ok, so what? Are you insecure or something?

humm sorry but I still see no point in your arguments here. If we are so many to display our highest rank obtained on our profile, well I guess we are just a bunch of "sad looking people" according to you but I guess we can all live with that.

I would say that the insecure person is the one thinking that way lol.
Major betiko

Postby Funkyterrance on Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:28 am

betiko wrote:

The logic underlying your conclusion is fuzzy at best but what-evs lol.
Anyway, I dropped this subject a while back so I'm guessing your reason for trolling is boredom so I'll let it go this time. Enjoy your free pass, betiko!

EDIT: So I looked at your profile betiko and have seen that you are one of "those" people which explains your overly emotional response to my opinion. I've got to ask though, what does your being No.1 in France for a day have anything to do with anything??? I'll bet I have been No.1 in New Hampshire at some point or another or even...*swoons*... the No.1 in New England! *faints*
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby macbone on Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:06 am

It's an accomplishment more than anything else, Funky. For instance, I like to check out the Hong Kong scoreboard, and I'm always happy when I make it particularly high up on the scoreboard. It's fun. =) It's like people who reminisce about their hole-in-one, or that day they made $20,000 at the roulette wheel, or that one time I threw out a guy at first base (first and last time I ever got anybody out (= ).
Colonel macbone

Postby betiko on Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:22 am

Funkyterrance wrote:
betiko wrote:

The logic underlying your conclusion is fuzzy at best but what-evs lol.
Anyway, I dropped this subject a while back so I'm guessing your reason for trolling is boredom so I'll let it go this time. Enjoy your free pass, betiko!

EDIT: So I looked at your profile betiko and have seen that you are one of "those" people which explains your overly emotional response to my opinion. I've got to ask though, what does your being No.1 in France for a day have anything to do with anything??? I'll bet I have been No.1 in New Hampshire at some point or another or even...*swoons*... the No.1 in New England! *faints*

I believe that if you are a colonel and you don t even have a silver cross map you care about points and you are afraid of adventuring yourself on new maps to keep your score up and never do the yoyo. Why bitch about people writing down their high score? Have a look around, you ll see how many people do it.
And yes, you seem to feel threatened by someone bragging about something, so let me have a different opinion regarding the insecure person of the story. Unless the person is a mythomaniac and making stuff up to impress you.

By the way, there is no such thing as a state ranking, only ranking per country so I can only tell you your story is made up! ;)
Major betiko

Postby Funkyterrance on Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:24 pm

betiko wrote:I believe that if you are a colonel and you don t even have a silver cross map you care about points and you are afraid of adventuring yourself on new maps to keep your score up and never do the yoyo. Why bitch about people writing down their high score? Have a look around, you ll see how many people do it.
And yes, you seem to feel threatened by someone bragging about something, so let me have a different opinion regarding the insecure person of the story. Unless the person is a mythomaniac and making stuff up to impress you.

By the way, there is no such thing as a state ranking, only ranking per country so I can only tell you your story is made up! ;)

Hehe.
I'm not bitching, just calling them like I see them. Perhaps the reason I don't have a silver cross map is because I don't care about silver cross maps lol. You can go on defending the pasting of meaningless stats all you want but it won't make people who feel it's silly think any differently. Being no.1 on France, really lol? Seriously betiko, talk to the hand pl0z.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby betiko on Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:16 am

Funkyterrance wrote:
betiko wrote:I believe that if you are a colonel and you don t even have a silver cross map you care about points and you are afraid of adventuring yourself on new maps to keep your score up and never do the yoyo. Why bitch about people writing down their high score? Have a look around, you ll see how many people do it.

Hehe.
I'm not bitching, just calling them like I see them. Perhaps the reason I don't have a silver cross map is because I don't care about silver cross maps lol. You can go on defending the pasting of meaningless stats all you want but it won't make people who feel it's silly think any differently. Being no.1 on France, really lol? Seriously betiko, talk to the hand pl0z.

let's just agree that we never agree on anything funky.
For the record, you don't need to actively try for the silver crossmap, in around 1000 games you're supposed to have crossmaped at least 40 maps out of the 230+ with a minimum of curiosity. Also you have no nuclear, trench, assassin, terminator, random map bronze, so i guess you never try those ones that can be costy. Your points graph in your cc lifetime show a very safe and steady growth, you never have big ups and downs. Your current points is almost the same as your high score. For a player like you it's not very interesting to see your high score, but the vast majority of CC players have big ups and downs. I don't really see how this could bother you and how you wouldn't find interesting to find out that a caporal that joined your game was actually a brig a few month back.

And yeah, I find it fun to check my country/general scoreboard when I have good points to see where I stand and I like to pin point if if I reached number 1 at some point. I don't really see what's the harm there, it just seems like you love to judge people but don't accept to be judged in return! ;)
Major betiko

Postby jsnyder748 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:13 am

Funkyterrance wrote:I always thought it was wierd when people paste a picture of their highest rank or write it in their sig. It's basically like showing evidence they're washed up or something. You just end up thinking, "well that must have been a fluke" or "Hmm they must have lost their touch". I guess I'm not really anti or anything but I don't think that people who post that sort of thing realize what it looks like to others: kind of pathetic.

Washed out? Kind of pathetic?

I do this not only to remember how high I was on the scoreboard, but also to show others what I am capable of. When people see you have been a general and you play team games they make the assumption that you are a skilled team player. I am a skilled team player so this helps keep my credibility up even when I drop to major while medal hunting.

It also gives people "food for thought" when they play me and I try to help there strategy with comments. In one game I was in a heated argument about not attacking on turn one on classic escalating 8 person. It is common strategy among private escalating games and for a good reason because it is sound strategy to wait for a card spot. I was a major at the time, as was my opponent, and he didn't seem to want to listen. More people in the same game wrote in the chat saying I was correct. The other player then responded by saying that he had not realized I was at one time a general. He had been basing his objections to my strategy help on the fact that I am -2000 on classic map. It does not mean I am bad at classic (all i did was play private escalating and basically lost my entire rank on the map lol) it just gave him reason to doubt my knowledge on the map with the settings (which is laughable since they are so easy).

I think this is a good idea, but the lowest score is sort of dumb. I was around 850 one time when I started. Am I anywhere near that skill level now? no. So how would that help people know what type of player I am?
Colonel jsnyder748

Postby DoomYoshi on Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:55 am

jsnyder748 wrote:I think this is a good idea, but the lowest score is sort of dumb. I was around 850 one time when I started. Am I anywhere near that skill level now? no. So how would that help people know what type of player I am?

How does highest score help people know what type of player I am?

My point is that "highest score" is a statistically meaningless number. Let's say I want to know how populated cities in the United States are. I get a result of 10 000 000 for NYC. Does that help me figure out the population of Des Moines, Buffalo or even Los Angeles?

Likewise, if I want an idea of how good a player is, do I need their score after they won a Battle Royale? Does that indicate to me that I have just defeated a fierce rival? No.

This stat isn't about "helping people know what type of player I am". If it were, it wouldn't be highest score you would be reporting, it would be a mean or median, or some quantiles. This is about, and only about, making people feel better about themself. Not that that is a bad thing. But let's call a spade a spade, shall we?
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby betiko on Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:28 pm

DoomYoshi wrote:
jsnyder748 wrote:I think this is a good idea, but the lowest score is sort of dumb. I was around 850 one time when I started. Am I anywhere near that skill level now? no. So how would that help people know what type of player I am?

My point is that "highest score" is a statistically meaningless number. Let's say I want to know how populated cities in the United States are. I get a result of 10 000 000 for NYC. Does that help me figure out the population of Des Moines, Buffalo or even Los Angeles?

Likewise, if I want an idea of how good a player is, do I need their score after they won a Battle Royale? Does that indicate to me that I have just defeated a fierce rival? No.

This stat isn't about "helping people know what type of player I am". If it were, it wouldn't be highest score you would be reporting, it would be a mean or median, or some quantiles. This is about, and only about, making people feel better about themself. Not that that is a bad thing. But let's call a spade a spade, shall we?

I call that self improvement. You've reached X score as your max and you just want to beat your high score. Or isn't there something called high score in any video game? Isn't waht we all try to do when we play a game? improve our best score?
I don't mind including median score as well though, seems like a good idea.
Major betiko

Postby jsnyder748 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:18 pm

DoomYoshi wrote:

Really? You think showing people my score for online risk makes me feel better?

You cannot compare highest score to the size of a city....that is absurd. Numbers have a different meaning for every situation. That is what we use them for. It may not work in all cases, such as your example of battle royals, but in many cases it would help. Showing the median ALONG with high score is a good idea though.

People who just play for fun no matter what (I assume this is you yoshi) and have never tried to reach a high score will not care about others high score regardless. So what does it matter to them?
Colonel jsnyder748

Postby Funkyterrance on Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:16 pm

betiko wrote:
I call that self improvement. You've reached X score as your max and you just want to beat your high score. Or isn't there something called high score in any video game? Isn't waht we all try to do when we play a game? improve our best score?

This is risk, not donkey kong.
Colonel Funkyterrance

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions