Conquer Club

[UI] Display Value of Flat Rate Spoils

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Re: Display Value of Flat Rate Spoils

Postby betiko on Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:47 pm

i remember that for my first games i was like weeee!!! a set!!! and didn't figure out immediately a red set was crap. Also it took me 2-3 games to figure out nuclear spoils, i was just stupidly trading no matter what lol. then I was wondering why I had some stacks missing... haha noob days!
Major betiko

Postby AdamKeith on Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:22 pm

It wouldn't be hard to implement. All you have to do is add the following line under the map (above the turn drop down boxes and such):

Flat Rate spoils- Red (4), Green (6), Blue (8), One of each (10).
Click image to enlarge.
Cadet AdamKeith

Postby Grifter on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:24 pm

This feature would do no harm to those players that have memorized the sets and therefore don't need the help. It is meant to help new players. Sometimes the little things help.
Lieutenant Grifter

Postby agentcom on Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:06 pm

+1 to greenoaks on this. Not necessary. It's too bad that some people can't figure out to click on the "Instructions" tab that is conveniently located right at the top of the screen, but I don't think that's enough reason to implement something like this. Besides, after some games people will eventually figure it out just by trial and error.

If someone was really confused by it, they can also go to live chat or just post in game chat
Colonel agentcom

Postby Metsfanmax on Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:18 pm

I support the idea. If we can make a simple choice to end a lot of potential confusion, we should do it. The fact that we might be making redundant copies of the information doesn't mean it's a bad idea. As AdamKeith points out, it is kind of hard to reject this idea given that the formatting issues have already been worked out for escalating, and in this case all we're doing is adding static text.
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:58 pm

agentcom wrote:+1 to greenoaks on this. Not necessary. It's too bad that some people can't figure out to click on the "Instructions" tab that is conveniently located right at the top of the screen, but I don't think that's enough reason to implement something like this. Besides, after some games people will eventually figure it out just by trial and error.

If someone was really confused by it, they can also go to live chat or just post in game chat

I've been here more than 2 years now, and I still get mixed up between green and blue sets. It's not that I don't actually know, but I start to second-guess myself. "Is it 6 for green and 8 for blue, or is it 8 for green and six for blue?" Eventually I start to really doubt my memory, and I go back to the instructions tab for the 24,000,000th time.

It wouldn't hurt anyone to have a reminder posted when you go to cash.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Funkyterrance on Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:40 pm

Dukasaur wrote:I've been here more than 2 years now, and I still get mixed up between green and blue sets. It's not that I don't actually know, but I start to second-guess myself. "Is it 6 for green and 8 for blue, or is it 8 for green and six for blue?" Eventually I start to really doubt my memory, and I go back to the instructions tab for the 24,000,000th time.

I agree. There's no reason to think green or blue should be worth more other than pure memory and if your memory for numbers is for shit(I've always been guilty of this) then you have to keep checking. If new people have to check more than a couple of times then that's too many.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby IcePack on Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:30 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
agentcom wrote:+1 to greenoaks on this. Not necessary. It's too bad that some people can't figure out to click on the "Instructions" tab that is conveniently located right at the top of the screen, but I don't think that's enough reason to implement something like this. Besides, after some games people will eventually figure it out just by trial and error.

I've been here more than 2 years now, and I still get mixed up between green and blue sets. It's not that I don't actually know, but I start to second-guess myself. "Is it 6 for green and 8 for blue, or is it 8 for green and six for blue?" Eventually I start to really doubt my memory, and I go back to the instructions tab for the 24,000,000th time.

Same for me. It is SUPER easy to add here. Not like having to create a new page. It's literally 5 mins of adding a few additional words.

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby hotfire on Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:23 am

Dukasaur wrote:

if u need help to remember flat rates of cards just look at turn order of players and remember the rate is larger further into the turn order ....red, green, blue, yellow and other colors...red is 4 ...green is 6...blue is 8...yellow and other colors make a mixed set of 10...all that jazz is located in the game already
Colonel hotfire

Postby Funkyterrance on Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:12 pm

hotfire wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:

if u need help to remember flat rates of cards just look at turn order of players and remember the rate is larger further into the turn order ....red, green, blue, yellow and other colors...red is 4 ...green is 6...blue is 8...yellow and other colors make a mixed set of 10...all that jazz is located in the game already

Thanks hotfire, this is a good memory tool. :D
However, a new player will not have easy access to this trick. Nor will anyone else who didn't think of it themselves/read this thread so the suggestion itself still seems like a good one.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby DoomYoshi on Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:11 pm

hotfire wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:

This helpful memory trick should be added to the instructions page, regardless of whether the main suggestion is implemented.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby Funkyterrance on Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:35 pm

DoomYoshi wrote:This helpful memory trick should be added to the instructions page, regardless of whether the main suggestion is implemented.

Yeah, still don't think it would be enough though since the number of troops awarded is hard to remember too; the memory tool doesn't help you at all with this. It would be better than nothing though.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby agentcom on Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:56 pm

That's a cool little memory device! I just have it ingrained in my head by now that I really like blue and hate red cards (unless I can make a rainbow). But your way is cooler.

I've actually been surprised at how many people are in favor of this. I thought people would just tell others that they'll figure it out eventually (which was my first inclination).
Colonel agentcom

Postby DoomYoshi on Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:00 pm

agentcom wrote:That's a cool little memory device! I just have it ingrained in my head by now that I really like blue and hate red cards (unless I can make a rainbow). But your way is cooler.

I've actually been surprised at how many people are in favor of this. I thought people would just tell others that they'll figure it out eventually (which was my first inclination).

Since I played RISK on DOS, I am used to the flat rate setting, and it only took 1 game to memorize them.

However, I also know that in HTML at least, adding static text to a screen is the easiest thing to do. I can imagine it's the same for PHP. Even if it only helps lower the learning curve for 10% of players since the coding is such a negligible effort, I can't see a real reason to not want this.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby BigBallinStalin on Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:28 am

IcePack wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:

Same for me. It is SUPER easy to add here. Not like having to create a new page. It's literally 5 mins of adding a few additional words.

Agreed. If it's SUPER easy to add, then add it. To be clear, a "mouse-over" features seems unnecessarily costly in resources to implement because some simple information in parentheses below the map would suffice (just like the info for esc. games).

I'm also surprised that some can't remember something so simple, but let's subsidize our brothers and sisters who are poor in memory.
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby macbone on Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:34 am

Thanks for the trick, hotfire! I still forget sometimes whether a green or a blue set is worth more.
Colonel macbone

Postby jricart on Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:06 pm

Well, the programmers in CC are so lazy to fix this! Keep reminding them to do it by reposting here once a month until they get annoyed!

JRT
Lieutenant jricart

Postby Metsfanmax on Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:49 pm

There is simply no real downside to this, so...

SUBMITTED

Re: [GP] Display Value of Flat Rate Spoils

Postby DoomYoshi on Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:11 pm

This has been implemented but is still buggy. It shows up in Nuclear games, so I am going to investigate what is going on and then I will move and update it.

Nevermind: It seems to be just having BOB.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby greenoaks on Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:06 am

DoomYoshi wrote:This has been implemented but is still buggy. It shows up in Nuclear games, so I am going to investigate what is going on and then I will move and update it.

when will this be moved to Implemented?
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby Metsfanmax on Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:22 am

greenoaks wrote:
DoomYoshi wrote:This has been implemented but is still buggy. It shows up in Nuclear games, so I am going to investigate what is going on and then I will move and update it.

when will this be moved to Implemented?

Thanks for the reminder.

IMPLEMENTED

Previous

Return to Suggestions