Conquer Club

Display map "difficulty"

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Display map "difficulty"

Postby jmyork82 on Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:45 am

Alright, I did my due diligence to search to see if this has been suggested before and couldn't find anything. Maybe one of you experts on the forum may be able to dig something up....

Concise description:
Some how, list or display the difficulty/complexity of a map on the map icon or in the name, or otherwise some place noticeable for players to to see.

Specifics/Details:
-Maps vary in difficulty as far as complex bonus/rules/victory stipulations. Use a simple measure to denote the degree of complexity of a map.
-Rank the maps 1-4 or 1-5 (1 being the basic risk style of gameplay, 5 being the most difficult)
-Map rank can be a searchable field in the game finder to filter games on particular maps

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
I have heard some chatter about how new players may be turned off from the site because of difficult maps and farming that may come with that. This is an idea to clue in new members and current members alike about how tricky a map may be. This can help the decision process for choosing a game and can also potentially be used to assist in creating a degree of difficulty in tournament games.

This is an incomplete idea, just something that I though of on the way to work and wanted to put it out on the forums.

I am open to suggestions on how to expand this idea. And criticism as well.
Lieutenant jmyork82

Re: Display map "difficulty"

Postby owenshooter on Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:30 am

there is a suggestion and it has been kicked about for a few years, to separate the maps into different sections in the Start Games/Maps area... even so far as to keep new players only able to access "BASIC" maps until they have reached a certain score/rank or number of games played. once you hit that level, the next level of maps are visible, etc, etc, etc... i don't think you can put the label on the maps, unless you did it in the view maps or something like that... however, if they haven't separated the maps based on complexity of game play and if that isn't something they are willing to do (have literally heard zero on this for years), this may be an option that the site can live with... this is a water down version of the separating the maps idea, but still a good idea...-Jésus noir
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
makes it ever so much more erotically thrilling"
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby jmyork82 on Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:23 am

Thanks!

I do recall the topic about "locking" out maps and am not for that. Nor do I want to separate them in to categories.

Something simple like a tiny 1 in the bottom corner of the map icon, or a 1 in parentheses on the name and making that a sort-able option in game finder or map browser.

As far as how the map is "tagged" with the difficulty is up for debate. I'm for whatever people feel comfortable with.
Lieutenant jmyork82

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:25 am

I agree.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby owenshooter on Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:21 am

Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby jmyork82 on Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:09 am

Similar, yes, but not exactly what I was suggesting. Lots of those suggestions seem rather complex and convoluted, but, they do reinforce the fact that more information needs to be provided about maps. Hopefully my suggestion is simple and "clean" enough to implement.
Lieutenant jmyork82

Postby owenshooter on Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:39 am

jmyork82 wrote:

Similar, yes, but not exactly what I was suggesting. Lots of those suggestions seem rather complex and convoluted, but, they do reinforce the fact that more information needs to be provided about maps. Hopefully my suggestion is simple and "clean" enough to implement.

and this is why i like it... they could make a little graphics tag for the section where you view the maps... simple...-Jésus noir
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby Donelladan on Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:52 am

A first classification of the map difficulty has already been made and is available.
In the strategy guide forum, maps have been ranked in 3 categories, basic, advanced and extreme. Classification is not perfect yet but could be used to implement this idea faster.
Just giving the info.
Brigadier Donelladan

Postby Luke035 on Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:00 pm

Not a recent topic, but wanted to offer my support. I have been away from CC for a number of years, but used to play quite often and had a premium account for quite a while. I just recently came back to play a few games online with some other friends. There are so many new maps from when I was last regularly on site (and don't even get me started on all the new game options). A map difficulty setting would help me to get re-introduced to the maps I enjoyed years ago (and try some that are new, but easy on newbies) as well as some practice and variety as I get used to the different map styles again!
Private Luke035

Postby owenshooter on Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:46 am

Donelladan wrote:A first classification of the map difficulty has already been made and is available.
In the strategy guide forum, maps have been ranked in 3 categories, basic, advanced and extreme. Classification is not perfect yet but could be used to implement this idea faster.
Just giving the info.

wait... do you mean the strategy guide that is lacking over 100+ maps and has been locked for years? or am i missing something?-Jésus noir
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby xroads on Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:52 am

great idea.

How hard would it be to put a number by the map to show level of difficulty.
Major xroads

Postby jmyork82 on Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:24 pm

maybe I should suck it up and put the work in and present a rough draft. Maybe it will be easier to implement if there was something tangible to go off of.
Lieutenant jmyork82

Postby Donelladan on Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:03 am

owenshooter wrote:
Donelladan wrote:A first classification of the map difficulty has already been made and is available.
Just giving the info.

wait... do you mean the strategy guide that is lacking over 100+ maps and has been locked for years? or am i missing something?-Jésus noir

Yes... and no !
Recently a strategy guide program start again.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=213882

Some excellent guides have been written for very complex maps. I am participating in this program the guide that have been written so far are quite good.
And a classification of the maps have been made when this project started again and could be use as a starting point I believe, as long as refinement are possible by users over the time it would be good.
Brigadier Donelladan

Return to Suggestions