Conquer Club

Add placeholder option to territory drop-down on deployment

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Add placeholder option to territory drop-down on deployment

Postby evantish on Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:16 pm

Overview:

One of the primary interface touch-points--the deployment and reinforcement form fields--create an unnecessary obstacle for players.

Problem:

When deploying or reinforcing, the territory dropdown box defaults to a presumptive selection based on the alphabetized list of labels. In effect, the game assumes that we always want to deploy or reinforce to the territory that comes first in alphabetical order. That's very rarely a safe assumption and it often leads to inadvertent (sometimes disastrous) moves.

Solution:

• Add a placeholder option to the top of the dropdown list.
  • This placeholder would have a label like "Select a territory" and a null value.
  • This would force the player to explicitly make a selection before performing the requested operation.
  • If a player clicks "Deploy" (for instance) while the placeholder is selected, a message is presented urging the user to make a territory-selection first, thus limiting the chance of an inadvertent deployment or reinforcement.

Realizing that the map interface is linked to the native browser drop-down widgets via a complex of JS code, I will stop short of saying this is a "simple" feature. However, in principle (if not technically), it does seem straightforward and a more logical approach all around. I would venture to guess most players prefer to interact with the form rather than the map when taking their turns. So, making those elements of the user-experience less fragile seems worthy of priority and inline with the goals of the business.

Thank you for consideration and apologies if this has been brought up before. My searches were fruitless, but I may not have been using the same terminology as others.
Colonel evantish

Re: Add placeholder option to territory drop-down on deploym

Postby Kevi on Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:52 am

+1

I think we've probably all been caught out by this feature at some time or other - I know I have.
Lieutenant Kevi

Postby jmyork82 on Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:13 pm

I like this idea too!
Lieutenant jmyork82

Postby DosEdfin on Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:36 pm

+1 for me as well !!!

I've been burned by this a few times... in many instances it can really spell out disaster for a player!
I know that's a frustrating factor, the same with initial troop deployment for each turn again the default is alphabetized. While I know this seems simple enough it sets a player up for disaster in the event of a 'mis-click' or if on a device like a phone or iPad where inadvertent 'touches' of the screen can cause a mis-deployment, or in this posters original concern a failed reinforcement.
Captain DosEdfin

Postby IcePack on Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:38 pm

The only tweak I've ever wished for, instead of it targetting only 100% by alphabet, that it would be "smart" alphabet targetting, where it would prioritize enemy spaces over friendlies, or neutrals etc.

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby Metsfanmax on Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:06 pm

I would like to get the opinion of some speed freestyle players before moving forward with this.
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby jdw35 on Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:29 pm

I would venture to say that the large majority of speed freestyle players use clickable maps. I personally hate the drop down tabs and find zero use for them at all. It is much easier to click on the map itself, especially while playing freestyle
Major jdw35

Postby evantish on Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:35 pm

jdw35 wrote:It is much easier to click on the map itself, especially while playing freestyle

If the default territory selection is null (ie. nothing is initially selected or highlighted on the map), would that impact the freestyle/speed experience? As it stands right now, the interactive map will show Alaska or Algiers (or whatever sorts to top) as highlighted, and you have to click away from those territories if you're deploying elsewhere. So, a null default costs no clicks except in the unlikely case that you actually wanted to deploy to Alaska or Algiers. Or am I mistaken here?
Colonel evantish

Postby Metsfanmax on Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:46 pm

jdw35 wrote:I would venture to say that the large majority of speed freestyle players use clickable maps. I personally hate the drop down tabs and find zero use for them at all. It is much easier to click on the map itself, especially while playing freestyle

You very well could be right. I just often find myself having different intuitions from speed FS players, so I always figure it's safe to check.
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Return to Suggestions