Conquer Club

Resign button - Extension ( Revised by ADMIN)

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Re: Resign button - Extension ( Revised by ADMIN)

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:48 am

I just used the Resign button for the first time.

Game 17992669

Clearly, there's no chance for a comeback in this game. Yet, if we had to play it out, it would still take five turns to finish me. At least 3 or 4 minutes. I saved 3 or 4 minutes of sitting here mindlessly clicking Begin and End and waiting for the victor to chew through my reserves.

People may ask, "what's the big deal about 3 or 4 minutes?" That, however, is a very arrogant question that assumes my time has little value. 3 or 4 minutes is 3 or 4 minutes. Just imagine if other activities you had involved 3 or 4 wasted minutes at the end. What if every phone call had 3 or 4 minutes of dead air at the end, when there was no more real conversation but you were required to continue holding the phone to your ear? What if buying gas had a 3 or 4 minute delay, where there was no more gas coming out of the nozzle but you were required to keep holding it?

I'm very glad we finally got the Resign button. I'm also glad to see it being (possibly) expanded.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Metsfanmax on Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:11 am

Dukasaur wrote:I just used the Resign button for the first time.

Game 17992669

Clearly, there's no chance for a comeback in this game. Yet, if we had to play it out, it would still take five turns to finish me. At least 3 or 4 minutes. I saved 3 or 4 minutes of sitting here mindlessly clicking Begin and End and waiting for the victor to chew through my reserves.

People may ask, "what's the big deal about 3 or 4 minutes?" That, however, is a very arrogant question that assumes my time has little value. 3 or 4 minutes is 3 or 4 minutes. Just imagine if other activities you had involved 3 or 4 wasted minutes at the end. What if every phone call had 3 or 4 minutes of dead air at the end, when there was no more real conversation but you were required to continue holding the phone to your ear? What if buying gas had a 3 or 4 minute delay, where there was no more gas coming out of the nozzle but you were required to keep holding it?

I'm very glad we finally got the Resign button. I'm also glad to see it being (possibly) expanded.

Glad to see you spent your extra time coming here to explain how happy you are to have extra time.
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:22 pm

Metsfanmax wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:I just used the Resign button for the first time.

Game 17992669

Glad to see you spent your extra time coming here to explain how happy you are to have extra time.

:lol: Yeah, it is kinda funny....:)

Still, I'd rather spend my free time purposefully propagandizing than mindlessly clicking.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Donelladan on Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:00 am

mc05025 wrote:why only trench? in hive for example it takes like for ever to finish a normal poly 4 (and unfortunately deadbeating takes 4X3=12 days instead of 3). There are other big maps as well.

Moreover the restriction of the double number of troops seems problematic. Firstly the troops due is much more important in general. In trench (and not only) games it is possible to even have the same number of troops and have absolutely no chances. Secondly in fog games you do not know the number of troops. In extreme situations this could interfere with the normal game-play as the activation of the button will give up the opponet's number of troops in fog games.

Why only in trench ?
First of all, resign button was subject of passionate debate, and has been refused many time. Thus having a resign button implemented for all kind of setting was impossible, because opposition against it was too strong.
Secondly, trench need a resign button much more than any other kind of setting. You are right to say that for game like hive, even no trench game take a long time to finish. But for no trench game it is only true for very big map. In trench it is true for almost all maps. Also in trench it is very often obvious when game is lost, and you always have a few turns to play even though game is lost and both players know it. Thus trench needed it, and it make more sense to be able to resign when playing trench.

Concerning your point about the restriction about double number of troops.
I have to say I agree with you. I very often see opponent resigning( or myself) in trench 1vs1 speed before I have twice more troops, and I think it make sense that they resign because game is very obviously lost.
I do think it would be better to get rid of this restriction.
Colonel Donelladan

Postby Crystallina on Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:42 pm

Posting it here since it seems to be the thread that is being listened to:

Please expand the resign button to every type of game. (With some exceptions possibly, like assassin, but all standard games at least should have it.) Usually, it is clear that a game is a lost cause well before it becomes available, if it is available at all, and having to drag the game out endlessly is mind-numbing and just a colossal waste of everybody's time, especially for a game that advertises itself as "a few minutes per day is all that is required". This is especially bad for certain maps and VERY bad for non-premium members, who don't have infinite slots for games and whose current games can be clogged up for days with games that they have already essentially lost.
Cook Crystallina

Postby elfish_lad on Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:27 pm

Crystallina wrote:Posting it here since it seems to be the thread that is being listened to:

Please expand the resign button to every type of game. (With some exceptions possibly, like assassin, but all standard games at least should have it.) Usually, it is clear that a game is a lost cause well before it becomes available, if it is available at all, and having to drag the game out endlessly is mind-numbing and just a colossal waste of everybody's time, especially for a game that advertises itself as "a few minutes per day is all that is required". This is especially bad for certain maps and VERY bad for non-premium members, who don't have infinite slots for games and whose current games can be clogged up for days with games that they have already essentially lost.

Thanks for popping this back up to the top of the board. I struggled awhile to find it. Thanks to KA for the highlight.
Major elfish_lad

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:08 pm

elfish_lad wrote:
Crystallina wrote:Posting it here since it seems to be the thread that is being listened to:

Thanks for popping this back up to the top of the board. I struggled awhile to find it. Thanks to KA for the highlight.

While you're checking out this subthread, you might also want to check out the main thread.

Here's a link: https://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=67152 I also bumped it for you.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby riskllama on Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:31 pm

resign button for speeders might be a good idea... :?
Lieutenant riskllama

Previous

Return to Suggestions