Conquer Club

Mandatory use of ISO 8601

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Re: Mandatory use of ISO 8601

Postby Metsfanmax on Mon May 14, 2018 5:15 am

I support this suggestion on the grounds that it will enhance IcePack's cultural sensitivity.
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby mrswdk on Mon May 14, 2018 10:18 am

Yeah, year would always come first in China (although sometimes you'd only put the month and day, depending on how necessary it is to specify the year).

IcePack apparently finds different countries and their cultures ludicrous and not worthy of contemplation.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby IcePack on Mon May 14, 2018 10:20 am

mrswdk wrote:Yeah, year would always come first in China (although sometimes you'd only put the month and day, depending on how necessary it is to specify the year).

IcePack apparently finds different countries and their cultures ludicrous and not worthy of contemplation.

I’m the one advocating we all enjoy everyone’s culture. Not assimilate into one while ignoring others preferences.

That’s right you heard it here first. IcePack, cultural hero

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby mrswdk on Mon May 14, 2018 10:26 am

I bet IcePack wore a qipao to his prom.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby IcePack on Mon May 14, 2018 10:33 am

mrswdk wrote:I bet IcePack wore a qipao to his prom.

Great way to promote cultural stereotypes. Not every school holds a prom.

Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby Keefie on Mon May 14, 2018 12:14 pm

IcePack wrote:

You told me you couldn't go to yours because you didn't have a date.
Major Keefie
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Dukasaur on Mon May 14, 2018 1:17 pm

Keefie wrote:
IcePack wrote:

You told me you couldn't go to yours because you didn't have a date.

I heart it was because he couldn't decide between the red lace gown or the blue chiffon!
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Captain Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby betiko on Mon May 14, 2018 1:46 pm

i'd just ask to write the month in letters. the american way is confusing as hell.
When I write a date it's always DD/MM/YY (or YYYY), that's how most of the world does it because it's the most logical. If we are beyond the 12th of the month, well I can figure it out, otherwise it's a fucking pain in the ass to think that you guys write it backwards.

And yes, in french, spanish, german, italian, whatever you want... we write it "le 23 mars 2018" for example. I have trouble not saying "the 23rd of March 2018" because "March 23rd 2018" isn't logical to me.

If you write the month in letters there is no confusion possible no matter where you come from and you can put it in whatever stupid order you want.
Last edited by betiko on Mon May 14, 2018 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Major betiko

Postby GoranZ on Mon May 14, 2018 1:49 pm

What an irony... the only two supporters of MM/DD/YYYY format are Canadian and Swiss born Americans.
Even a little kid knows whats the name of my country... http://youtu.be/XFxjy7f9RpY

Interested in clans? Check out the Fallen!
Brigadier GoranZ

Postby betiko on Mon May 14, 2018 1:51 pm

GoranZ wrote:What an irony... the only two supporters of MM/DD/YYYY format are Canadian and Swiss born Americans.

he is fully swiss as far as I know... maybe he got his american passport and dropped his swiss nationality, not sure :P
Major betiko

Postby IcePack on Mon May 14, 2018 2:02 pm

betiko wrote:
GoranZ wrote:What an irony... the only two supporters of MM/DD/YYYY format are Canadian and Swiss born Americans.

he is fully swiss as far as I know... maybe he got his american passport and dropped his swiss nationality, not sure :P

Yeah, I’m not American either lol

Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby Mad777 on Mon May 14, 2018 2:05 pm

betiko wrote:

Born and grown up in Switzerland, dual citizenship (Swiss and French) because Swiss father and French mother, moved to USA 9 years ago and I may ask for the US passport but not sure.
Holder of a Swiss passport and let the French passport expired since I don’t need it.

Hope this help....living here forced myself to be use to the MM-DD-YY (or MM-DD-YYYY), today it is more a natural act to write the date format that way, never said I prefer any kind, just saying I have no issue bouncing between any format, as far this site if it would happen that I have a doubt then I will look at the latest post date and I’m sure this will give me a clue :D
Another thing I was trying to explain, and IMO, this date format request/change isn’t really a substantial issue within this site...as long as you can read the 24hr clock showing when is your next turn then the rest of has no weight as far which format the date should be...
".....Under Phucumol treatment....."
https://youtu.be/zlusWzDY4qw
Lieutenant Mad777

Postby GoranZ on Mon May 14, 2018 2:05 pm

betiko wrote:

The things people do for American passport. I bet he is driving US made Pontiac now :lol:
Even a little kid knows whats the name of my country... http://youtu.be/XFxjy7f9RpY

Brigadier GoranZ

Postby Mad777 on Mon May 14, 2018 2:10 pm

GoranZ wrote:
betiko wrote:

The things people do for American passport. I bet he is driving US made Pontiac now :lol:

Nope, that’s what I’m driving... ;)

".....Under Phucumol treatment....."
https://youtu.be/zlusWzDY4qw
Lieutenant Mad777

Postby GoranZ on Mon May 14, 2018 2:14 pm

Mad777 wrote:Another thing I was trying to explain, and IMO, this date format request/change isn’t really a substantial issue within this site...as long as you can read the 24hr clock showing when is your next turn then the rest of has no weight as far which format the date should be...

I agree, not using ISO 8601 date format will not have significant impact on the game, but having things standardized is way better then the alternative.

Brigadier GoranZ

Postby IcePack on Mon May 14, 2018 2:18 pm

The date this suggestion was created over was very clear. You’re just being stubborn goran

GoranZ wrote:
IcePack wrote:
GoranZ wrote:
IcePack wrote:
GoranZ wrote:
[Updated 04-28-18]

What date format is this? Which number represents what in this date format?

According to ISO 8601 there is only one internationally accepted date format YYYY-MM-DD

Its pretty easy to interpret, can't be 28th month or 18th month. You know its not 2004 or 2028. So logically, its April 28th, 2018.

In that case yes... but there is no logic if the numbers for day and month are less then 12. And its about time internationally accepted date format to be used.

In this case yes, and I agree it can sometimes be a question. But you questioned this case which is very clear. So I’m this case which you questioned, there is no question at all.

I questioned the date format used, not the date it self ;)

You asked what represents what, which was very clear ;)

Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby betiko on Tue May 15, 2018 5:36 am

Mad777 wrote:
betiko wrote:

Born and grown up in Switzerland, dual citizenship (Swiss and French) because Swiss father and French mother, moved to USA 9 years ago and I may ask for the US passport but not sure.
Holder of a Swiss passport and let the French passport expired since I don’t need it.

Hope this help....living here forced myself to be use to the MM-DD-YY (or MM-DD-YYYY), today it is more a natural act to write the date format that way, never said I prefer any kind, just saying I have no issue bouncing between any format, as far this site if it would happen that I have a doubt then I will look at the latest post date and I’m sure this will give me a clue :D
Another thing I was trying to explain, and IMO, this date format request/change isn’t really a substantial issue within this site...as long as you can read the 24hr clock showing when is your next turn then the rest of has no weight as far which format the date should be...

that's very nice, you are talking about your own personal experience, which is pretty irrelevant here.
As you know people outside of the US don't use that strange date format and it confuses everybody else. I personally don't live in the US, therefore don't have, and don't want to adapt to this regional BS; just as if everything was in empirical system in here instead of what the world uses, the metric system. The fact that you now live in the US and have had to adapt to their stuff is normal... you decided to live there. I would adapt to their customs if I lived there, just I have to adapt to spanish customs living here.
Here on the internet we all access this site from home. I'm just asking to write the month with a 3 letter abreviation to avoid confusions.
Major betiko

Postby betiko on Tue May 15, 2018 5:36 am

IcePack wrote:
betiko wrote:

Yeah, I’m not American either lol

you're canadian?
Major betiko

Postby Keefie on Tue May 15, 2018 10:49 am

No no no, I fully support the DD/MM/YYYY format.

I am neither a garlic eating surrender monkey or American :lol:
Major Keefie
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Dukasaur on Tue May 15, 2018 3:14 pm

Keefie wrote:

DD/MM/YYYY is not MM/DD/YYYY.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Captain Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby GoranZ on Tue May 15, 2018 7:17 pm

Keefie wrote:

I was referring to Ice and Mad... It turns out they are not Americans yet, but their desire to become is more then obvious :roll:

ISO 8601's format is not the most popular one DD/MM/YYYY but YYYY/MM/DD date format.

Brigadier GoranZ

Postby djelebert on Wed May 16, 2018 4:19 am

Mad777 wrote:
GoranZ wrote:
betiko wrote:

Nope, that’s what I’m driving... ;)

perhaps a private joke, sorry, it's in french
Lieutenant djelebert

Postby GoranZ on Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:07 pm

The picture isn't showing ISO 8601(YYYY/MM/DD date format) just a graphical representation of what is being used atm here in CC.

Brigadier GoranZ

Previous

Return to Suggestions