Conquer Club

A Formal And Technical Option to Create Truces/Alliances

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

A Formal And Technical Option to Create Truces/Alliances

Postby Agent Price on Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:51 am

The current system of truces/alliances is totally informal, conducted through game chat. (Hopefully, unless someone is cheating with a secret alliance.)

The problem is, this can be easily missed. I can't tell you how many times I've played my turn, only to check the game chat and see someone has offered me a truce that would've been advantageous to both of us. And, of course, the reverse-- I've offered a truce that goes unremarked on, and it's not clear if the person is intentionally ignoring the offer or simply didn't read it.

People have taken to writing wall messages to say a truce has been offered in the chat, which is an imperfect solution at best.

Detailed Proposal:

"Formal Alliances" would be another game option, like spoils or fog of war. The options would be "None," "Breakable," and "Unbreakable" (more on these last two in a second).

Much like how you can enter a game chat whether it's your turn or not, you'd be able to offer a truce to anyone at any point in the game. I imagine this would be either a button next to their name at the top, or another column in the stats section.

At the beginning of any turn, if someone offers you a truce, you have to affirm or deny, just like you have to chose your cards before making your play.

Any affirmed alliances will be marked in the player section at the top, with a notation reading "truce with [username]".

Options
*Unbreakable would mean you absolutely cannot attack the other player.
*Breakable means you can attack the other player. This is useful for circumstances like "You can have bonus area X if I can have Y," etc. It also means you could stab the other player in the back (and they can do the same to you), so it's a strategic decision.
*Length of Truce: either a fixed number of rounds, or until every other player is dead.

Future Options

More complicated options can be implemented later, such as an "X Round Notice" option, where you can formally end an alliance, giving the ally a specific number of rounds to prepare.

Holding a truce across specific borders ("You don't attack North America, I won't attack South America) is probably pretty complicated, and I don't know how that can be controlled by the game. (Hence, the un/breakable options above.) But maybe there's a way?

Other comments:

For those who don't like alliances, I don't see a practical way of eliminating informal alliances via game chat, but having a formal option would likely discourage it.
Cadet Agent Price

Re: A Formal And Technical Option to Create Truces/Alliances

Postby 2dimes on Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:36 am

Seems like a great idea so it will likely be ignored. Unfortunately this forum is not really utilized. Basically it's just a leftover from when the site creator actually wanted to read suggestions for improving things.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby MichelSableheart on Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:10 am

this has been rejected in the past (for example, viewtopic.php?f=471&t=2204 ).

Furthermore, informal alliances through game chat will always allow for a far greater variety of possibilities then a formal system ever could. Things like exchanging cards on a certain territory, a truce over a particular border, temporary understandings while 1 player is far ahead...

also, "I forget to read game chat" feels like a terrible reason for a suggestion, because that can easily be fixed by changing your own behaviour, rather then requiring sitewide development.
MichelSableheart,
Een van de Veroveraars der Lage Landen
And a member of the Republic
Brigadier MichelSableheart

Postby 2dimes on Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:38 pm

*than
Corporal 2dimes

Postby Jemis on Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:04 pm

Agent Price wrote:The current system of truces/alliances is totally informal, conducted through game chat. (Hopefully, unless someone is cheating with a secret alliance.)

The problem is, this can be easily missed. I can't tell you how many times I've played my turn, only to check the game chat and see someone has offered me a truce that would've been advantageous to both of us. And, of course, the reverse-- I've offered a truce that goes unremarked on, and it's not clear if the person is intentionally ignoring the offer or simply didn't read it.

People have taken to writing wall messages to say a truce has been offered in the chat, which is an imperfect solution at best.

Detailed Proposal:

"Formal Alliances" would be another game option, like spoils or fog of war. The options would be "None," "Breakable," and "Unbreakable" (more on these last two in a second).

Much like how you can enter a game chat whether it's your turn or not, you'd be able to offer a truce to anyone at any point in the game. I imagine this would be either a button next to their name at the top, or another column in the stats section.

At the beginning of any turn, if someone offers you a truce, you have to affirm or deny, just like you have to chose your cards before making your play.

Any affirmed alliances will be marked in the player section at the top, with a notation reading "truce with [username]".

Options
*Unbreakable would mean you absolutely cannot attack the other player.
*Breakable means you can attack the other player. This is useful for circumstances like "You can have bonus area X if I can have Y," etc. It also means you could stab the other player in the back (and they can do the same to you), so it's a strategic decision.
*Length of Truce: either a fixed number of rounds, or until every other player is dead.

Future Options

More complicated options can be implemented later, such as an "X Round Notice" option, where you can formally end an alliance, giving the ally a specific number of rounds to prepare.

Holding a truce across specific borders ("You don't attack North America, I won't attack South America) is probably pretty complicated, and I don't know how that can be controlled by the game. (Hence, the un/breakable options above.) But maybe there's a way?
geometry dash scratch
Other comments:

For those who don't like alliances, I don't see a practical way of eliminating informal alliances via game chat, but having a formal option would likely discourage it.

The problem may be solved by another one.
New Recruit Jemis

Return to Suggestions