Conquer Club

[GP] Undo, Redo, Mulligan, Take Back Options

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

[GP] Undo, Redo, Mulligan, Take Back Options

Postby Pedronicus on Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:29 am

What is wanted: An option to undo, redo, or take back deployment, attacks, and/or fortifications.

This has been rejected multiple times since it's first suggestion in 2006. There is too much room for this to just be used to test the waters on a bad strategy and then take it back because it was an 'accident.' The solution is to take the proper amount of time making a move so that you do not make a mistake.

A few things about this:
  • This would take more than just an hour of coding. There is virtually no new implementation on this site that can be accomplished in that short a time frame.
  • Having an undo button changes the game. This is especially true in freestyle.
  • Basically, mistakes happen in most games (Cards, chess, board games, sports). There is generally no undo button unless you are playing against a computer.
Major Pedronicus

Postby natalinasmpf on Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:05 am

Yes, but this can only happen within 10 seconds, say, of the actual mistake. Or 15. (Depending on connection).
Sergeant 1st Class natalinasmpf

Postby max is gr8 on Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:00 pm

I have but though if you made a mistake it can sometimes come to help you later in the game :wink: like i ended up placing them on my allies country n in the end i got protected by a deadbeat ally. and i got more pts
Corporal max is gr8

Undo Button *Rejected*

Postby tonywalrus on Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:56 am

This has probably been suggested many times before, but there is nothing on the recent threads so I am trying to keep it alive. I have just accidentally posted 6 armies to Alaska, grrrr. An undo button at the placement stage would prevent this. It could then be removed at the attack stage. Although a way to undo awful attack rolls wouldn't be bad.....h'mmmm.
Sergeant tonywalrus

Location: Deep below the cold inky darkness of the Bering Sea.

Postby reverend_kyle on Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:59 am

Yeah, i was in a triples game and i put all of my armies on my buddies territories instead of on mine so i couldnt control mine. Luckily he took control and we won. But still i was scared.
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby Phobia on Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:05 am

i wouldnt bother putting in a undo button...just be very careful :P. some people might abuse it too, espiccially during a real time/freestyle game to trick people
Sergeant 1st Class Phobia

back button

Postby teknochild on Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:50 pm

i places 11 guys on a country that couldnt have been farther from my frontline, my teammate in another game accidently ended his turn too soon, and then in another game i accidently ended my fortifications early

a back button would be really nice, one that you could only use if you havent taken any action since w/e you didnt do

obviously it would only work for things like ending attacks or ending fortifications or maybe even ending turns before the next player starts his turn

and obvisouly you couldnt use it to take back attacks

maybe usable when your advancing your forces after attack, incase you accidently advance all your guys onto a cul de sac

would be nice
Corporal teknochild

Postby wicked on Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:53 pm

Too much potential for abuse, especially in freestyle. You could essentially deploy men to fake the other guy out, then move them.
Major wicked

Postby wcaclimbing on Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:58 pm

bad idea. just pay more attention to what you are doing.
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Postby teknochild on Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:23 pm

i dont play freestyle, dont like it
Corporal teknochild

Postby AK_iceman on Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:56 pm

Yeah, this idea is not a good one. Like wicked said, it offers too much potential for abuse. Just take your time, and slow down on your attacks and forts.
Sergeant 1st Class AK_iceman

Postby lackattack on Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:39 am

If you find yourself making mistakes, try Ishiro's script. It adds confirmation dialogs when you end attacks and stuff:

http://www.probablynot.com/greasemonkey ... ds.user.js
Last edited by lackattack on Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sergeant lackattack

Postby Ishiro on Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:57 am

Its also easily modifiable to include any button in the game. You can have it put confirms on the deploy, the attack, fortify and play set buttons as well. But be careful, if you put too many confirms you will just get in the habit of clicking OK and it will defeat the purpose of having the confirms.
Corporal 1st Class Ishiro

Takeback Last Fortification/Deployment *rejected*

Postby CreepyUncleAndy on Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:18 pm

There should be a button that appears on the command area after deploying or fortifying a territory (though this might be difficult in games with Chained Fortification, as the first Fortification currently ends your turn in such games, so an extra step after your Fortificaiton before you end your turn to check for takebacks would be necessary).....

ugh....anyways, after Deploying or Fortifying Armies to a Territory, you should be given the option to UNDO or Take Back your last Fortification or Deployment. Naturally, this option only applies to the most recent disposition of troops, and expires as soon as you do something else.

This would be a nice way to prevent a careless mis-click or pop-up from ruining a close game.
Private CreepyUncleAndy

Postby wicked on Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:41 pm

This has already been suggested and rejected. It would be too easy to mis-use, especially in Freestyle games where someone could deploy or fort, then change that move based on another player's actions. Just be more careful with your clicking.
Major wicked

Postby joeyjordison on Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:48 pm

yeh although it could be only for sequential games?
i always make mistakes especially wen i'm tired but i don't think there is a better answer to the problem that for me to get some more sleep and b carefull.
besides it adds a bit of randomness to the games which can make it more interesting :shock:
Major joeyjordison

Suggestion: "Undo" command [Rejected]

Postby Dude Bob on Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:11 am

I don't know if anyone else has had this problem, but a lot of times I will place my start-of-turn reinforcements on the wrong territory because it has a similar name as another terrirory.

I've also seen people reinforce to the wrong territory for the same reason, in a game with Chained or Adjacent rather than Unlimited fortifications.

I think it would help if there was an "Undo" command. Obviously it would not allow you to undo an attack, since it would have to recalculate the random die rolls. But you should be able to undo army placement or fortifications in Chained or Adjacent games.

In order to enable players to undo fortifications, of course, there would have to be a new screen after the fortification phase that gave the player the option to either "Undo" or "End fortification".
Private 1st Class Dude Bob

Postby hecter on Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:13 am

This is just begging for abuse in Freestyle games.
In heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine... You got your things, and I've got mine.
Private 1st Class hecter

Postby OnlyAmbrose on Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:26 am

hecter wrote:This is just begging for abuse in Freestyle games.

Good call, I was about to vote yes, too.

Hecter brings up a good point which kinda shoots down this idea, though I suppose it could be disabled in Freestyle cames.
"The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
Corporal 1st Class OnlyAmbrose

Re: Suggestion: "Undo" command

Postby gimil on Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:42 am

Dude Bob wrote:I don't know if anyone else has had this problem, but a lot of times I will place my start-of-turn reinforcements on the wrong territory because it has a similar name as another terrirory.

I've also seen people reinforce to the wrong territory for the same reason, in a game with Chained or Adjacent rather than Unlimited fortifications.

I think it would help if there was an "Undo" command. Obviously it would not allow you to undo an attack, since it would have to recalculate the random die rolls. But you should be able to undo army placement or fortifications in Chained or Adjacent games.

In order to enable players to undo fortifications, of course, there would have to be a new screen after the fortification phase that gave the player the option to either "Undo" or "End fortification".

If you use firefox download the bob 1.2 script and this give you a pop up window that maeks sure you want to end attack, end foritifcation etc
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby Dude Bob on Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:56 pm

OnlyAmbrose wrote:
hecter wrote:This is just begging for abuse in Freestyle games.

Good call, I was about to vote yes, too.

Hecter brings up a good point which kinda shoots down this idea, though I suppose it could be disabled in Freestyle cames.

You two seem to be seeing a loophole that I'm not. What would happen in freestyle games?
Private 1st Class Dude Bob

Postby Rybal on Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:52 am

You could reinforce one area, then adjust it during the same turn (while others are making their moves - or even afterwards).
Sergeant Rybal

Postby super Mario 009 on Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:39 pm

I would rather have the undo button for end attacks/fortifications since I keep pressing those buttons without wanting to, but that's just my opinion.
Sergeant super Mario 009

Postby vtmarik on Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:52 pm

Well, an Undo button could be useful, say if you deploy your armies on the wrong territory and can't attack from there. But maybe it could be disabled the moment you do anything after deploying it.

I have had some bonehead moments when I've put armies inside of my own borders, stopping me from attacking.
Initiate discovery! Fire the Machines! Throw the switch Igor! THROW THE F***ING SWITCH!
Cadet vtmarik

Postby wicked on Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:01 pm

This has already been discussed and rejected due to the high probability of abuse.
Major wicked

Next

Return to Suggestions