Conquer Club

[XML] infected neutrals

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Re: infected neutrals - FINAL PROPOSAL: page 22 [To-Do]

Postby WidowMakers on Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:34 am

yeti_c wrote:
bryguy wrote:I think that instead of this being a gameplay option it should be an xml option cause otherwise basically a bunch of maps could be thrown out of whack with an option like this added, but as an xml option the map maker could decide if he/she wanted it in or not, and it could make for alot of interesting maps

I'm pretty sure this has been mentioned before...

And we decided that all the current maps would be great "as is"... No current maps will be "thrown out of whack"...

C.
Well once Maze Craze gets done, that map would really be CRAZY. Imagine all neutral borders starting at 2 and then after the first round jumping to 3. Plus any conquered border territories respawn to 8 and then jump to 9 at the end on the next round.

Plus occupied neutral border territories respawn at the start of each players turn. So there is no way (once a border territory is attacked) that you can eliminate all neutrals. CHAOS! PURE CHAOS! :o :o :o :o

MAZE CRAZE INDEED!!!!!

WM
Major WidowMakers

Postby cicero on Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:10 pm

WidowMakers wrote:
yeti_c wrote:I'm pretty sure this has been mentioned before...

And we decided that all the current maps would be great "as is"... No current maps will be "thrown out of whack"...
Well once Maze Craze gets done, that map would really be CRAZY.

CHAOS! PURE CHAOS! :o :o :o :o

MAZE CRAZE INDEED!!!!!

Actually I've been following Maze Craze a bit recently, because I really like the idea, and it hadn't occurred to me to consider what would happen with infected neutrals let loose ...

Has WM created the first unplayable map (with infected neutrals) ... ?
If so it would be just typical of him ... :roll: ( ;) )

Seriously though, I notice you're currently discussing the neutral respawn level for the maze 'walls' ... perhaps the level should be tempered slightly? <Decides to go and make a post ...>
Sergeant cicero

Location: with the infected neutrals ... handing out maps to help them find their way to CC

Postby yeti_c on Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:27 pm

You might be right Cic... but I'm not 100% sure... I think Maze Craze would be pretty hard to play with IN's - however - the way to play it - would to NOT kill any neutrals... you would need to keep them all in check... but if you captured one... then that could be game over... of course - taking a neutral wall with one of your lone armies - next to 1 players main camp... would be a genius move...

Remember of course though - that the neutrals regen NEXT turn at the start... and will only respawn to 8 once captured... so as long as the neutrals were kept in check... or once they'd attacked and spent themselves - they won't regen UNLESS another player takes the territory...

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby WidowMakers on Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:07 pm

cicero wrote:Has WM created the first unplayable map (with infected neutrals) ... ?
If so it would be just typical of him ... :roll: ( ;) )
Nope the map doe snot have them attack they just respawn. The goal was to make rebuilding borders.

Maze Craze with infected neutrals would make...
Respawning Attacking Zombie Walls of DEATH!!!!
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

That has a nice ring to it.

WM
Major WidowMakers

Postby cicero on Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:39 am

[PROPOSAL UPDATED] on several fronts ...

1 You'll remember ...
yeti_c, near the top of page 25, wrote:
Code: Select all
         If TargCount = NumTargs Then // ie neutrals are attacking the last target territory
            advance all possible armies
         Else
            advance all remaining armies - (NumTargs-TargCount)*INT(AttackForce/NumTargs) armies

... and I noted, as well as answering the associated question, that there was an error in that pseudo code.

I have corrected it:
Code: Select all
         If TargCount = NumTargs Then // ie neutrals are attacking the last target territory
            advance (all remaining - 1) armies
         Else
            advance (all remaining - (3 + (NumTargs-TargCount)*INT(AttackForce/NumTargs))) armies

2 I have changed the 'delay 5 seconds' statement into lower level pseudo code. This introduces a new variable FutureOffset. Review the proposal to see the changes (5 lines of pseudo code are affected).
I have also changed the placing of this delay so that where an attack is made even if the battle is not won the delay occurs. Previously the delay only occurred when a battle was won. This seems 'fairer'. I don't see the infected neutrals running out of time very often; even in a speed game they have 5 minutes or 300 seconds = 300/5 = 60 attacks ... Nonetheless I thought it best to cover the possibility.

3 I have tweaked the Instructions page documentation slightly both to reflect 2 and for general clarity. I still think that a Q&A post is required though.
Sergeant cicero

Location: with the infected neutrals ... handing out maps to help them find their way to CC

Postby Joodoo on Sat May 31, 2008 3:55 am

wow, this is an excellent idea since we introduce a "third" party, I would be interested to see how the games would change with zombies
Lieutenant Joodoo

Postby Soloman on Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:05 pm

just wondering when this update will be implemented
You Have 2 choices,You can either Agree With Me or Be Wrong!!! http://www.myspace.com/solomanthewise http://360.yahoo.com/bolar35
Sergeant Soloman

Postby cicero on Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:00 am

Soloman wrote:just wondering when this update will be implemented

cicero, back on April 14, wrote:
vrex wrote:it seems even though you have pmed lack and twill there has been no response... *sigh*
Sorry, that is my fault for leaving that impression simply by my not reporting back on the response. Sorry all!

In fact both Lack and Twill PM'd me back within a very few days of my PM to them. It wouldn't be fair to publish a specific timescale for Infected Neutral implementation because, apart from anything else, Lack hasn't given me one ;).

However I can confirm that Lack remains enthusiastic about the suggestion, very complimentary about our proposal as it stands and keen to implement. There are other programming tasks (nope, I don't know what they are) which must take priority over Infected Neutrals, but after those then Infected Neutrals are currently next on the list. Fingers crossed :)

The PM exchange referred to in my previous post occurred on 7 April. I don't have any more up-to-date information at the moment Soloman.

However I'm just back from a vacation and will be contacting Lack/Twill shortly ...

I, or they, will post here when there's news.
FREE M-E-Mbership and simple rules. Conquer Club - it's not complicated.

random me statistic @ 13 December 2008 - 1336 posts : 232nd most public posts (not counting Tower of Babble) of all time.
Sergeant cicero

Postby max is gr8 on Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:37 am

No the worst would be Arms Race!!! Everyone would be out first round
‹max is gr8› so you're a tee-total healthy-eating sex-addict?
‹New_rules› Everyone has some bad habits
(4th Jan 2010)
Corporal max is gr8

Postby yeti_c on Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:40 am

max is gr8 wrote:No the worst would be Arms Race!!! Everyone would be out first round

No they wouldn't

No neutral starts above 3 - and neutrals cannot bombard.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby max is gr8 on Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:22 am

Does it say that in the code?
(4th Jan 2010)
Corporal max is gr8

Postby max is gr8 on Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:31 am

Why not, they should be able to bombard they may be stupid but not that stupid. Also I have thought of an idea for a map, perfect for this game type. Circus Maximus. Also i think the terminator points should go to winner at end.
(4th Jan 2010)
Corporal max is gr8

Postby yeti_c on Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:30 pm

max is gr8 wrote:Does it say that in the code?

Yes.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby yeti_c on Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:31 pm

max is gr8 wrote:Why not, they should be able to bombard they may be stupid but not that stupid. Also I have thought of an idea for a map, perfect for this game type. Circus Maximus. Also i think the terminator points should go to winner at end.

All discussed before.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby WidowMakers on Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:26 pm

I do see an issue with Infected Neutrals only attacking alphabetically.

In Maze Craze for example, the lower right portion of the map will be safer that the upper left. Due to the alpha/numeric layout IN will tend to attack up and to the left.

SO my suggestion is that the IN pick a random direction based on the number of options available. Basically use random.org to pick the path the attack.

I know this has probably been discussed but it will make Maze Craze very predictable.

WM
Major WidowMakers

Postby Ditocoaf on Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:12 am

WidowMakers wrote:I do see an issue with Infected Neutrals only attacking alphabetically.

In Maze Craze for example, the lower right portion of the map will be safer that the upper left. Due to the alpha/numeric layout IN will tend to attack up and to the left.

SO my suggestion is that the IN pick a random direction based on the number of options available. Basically use random.org to pick the path the attack.

I know this has probably been discussed but it will make Maze Craze very predictable.

WM

This has been changed already. There was a long discussion, including a IN summit that I was invited to but missed :( . They changed it to use the MOD function, instead.

Which reminds me. Cicero, when this comes out, you've got to set up a IN game for the most active members in this thread. A sort of celebration.

>----------✪ Try to take down the champion in the continuous IPW/GIL tournament! ✪----------<

Note to self: THINK LESS LIVE MORE
Private 1st Class Ditocoaf

Postby Joodoo on Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:30 am

Will the zombies have cards, because that could introduce another twist...
Lieutenant Joodoo

Postby WidowMakers on Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:54 am

Ditocoaf wrote:
WidowMakers wrote:I do see an issue with Infected Neutrals only attacking alphabetically.

WM

This has been changed already. There was a long discussion, including a IN summit that I was invited to but missed :( . They changed it to use the MOD function, instead.

Which reminds me. Cicero, when this comes out, you've got to set up a IN game for the most active members in this thread. A sort of celebration.
What is teh MOD function? So can we have an update on what IN will actually be? Explain exact what they do and how they work.

WM
Major WidowMakers

Postby lancehoch on Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:17 am

WidowMakers wrote:What is teh MOD function? So can we have an update on what IN will actually be? Explain exact what they do and how they work.

WM

The mod function is:
vrex wrote:
yeti_c wrote:No no... MOD is a function that returns the remainder of a Division function...

i.e.

10/3 = 3 Remainder 1

10 MOD 3 = 1

C.

well yeti here has told us what a mod actually is as even i was not sure i was guessing :mrgreen: srry for all the capital letters and what may have been implied i was just really trying to make sure readers saw the important parts :wink: i have actually thought of a new way to describe the formula which i will now post...hope it is understandable

let 'qualifying territs' refer to the psuedo code where IN first sorts its attacking territs by army count (high to low) therefore (10, 10, 9, 7, 5) results in (10,10) these are 'qualifying territs'

(highest army count on qualifying territs)/(number of qualifying territs)=X remainder Y)

[therefore according to the proposal (10,10,9,7,5) becomes [10,10] becomes 7/2=remainder 1 [because of -3]]

hope that helps 8)

For the actual code, see the third code box in Cicero's first post on page 22.
Sergeant lancehoch

Postby cicero on Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:37 am

Apart from anything else WM's questions confirm that Infected Neutral behaviour is going to raise lots of questions ... and so the Q&A post (which I've yet to write) will have to be good :)

random me statistic @ 13 December 2008 - 1336 posts : 232nd most public posts (not counting Tower of Babble) of all time.
Sergeant cicero

Postby Ditocoaf on Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:34 am

Congrats on the modship, cicero! Well-earned.

>----------✪ Try to take down the champion in the continuous IPW/GIL tournament! ✪----------<

Note to self: THINK LESS LIVE MORE
Private 1st Class Ditocoaf

Postby yeti_c on Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:11 am

I think we should rename this to

"Infrected Neutrals"

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby cicero on Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:07 pm

yeti_c wrote:I think we should rename this to

"Infrected Neutrals"

C.
You've got me yeti ... I frankly have no idea what you mean ... ? ? ?

Sergeant cicero

Postby yeti_c on Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:09 pm

cicero wrote:
yeti_c wrote:I think we should rename this to

"Infrected Neutrals"

C.
You've got me yeti ... I frankly have no idea what you mean ... ? ? ?

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=54165&p=1395506

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby cicero on Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:26 pm

Ah ... Mr Twill should get himself a new secretary!

Sergeant cicero

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions