Conquer Club

[GL] Playback/Replay/Rewind/Review/History Game Feature

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Re: What about a player ?

Postby JamesKer1 on Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:25 pm

BENCLUB wrote:When a game is close.
We can see what was the differents move of the players.
But it's really difficult and boring to see it in our brain what they are doing.

With a replayer, we could click on "PLAY" and the game restart with the Round 1 : turn 1, turn 2 etc etc
And we could see how the game worked.

Bottom "PAUSE" "STOP" "PLAY" "x3" "x5".

It will be really usefull to learn a map with old games.

PS : Sorry about my english.

MERGED
Join CrossMapAHolics!

Stephan Wayne wrote:Every day is Fool's Day on CC.

A new era of monthly challenges has begun...
Private JamesKer1

Re: Playback/Replay/Rewind/Review/History Game Feature

Postby sm8900 on Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:02 pm

interesting.
Private sm8900

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:32 am

Time for a bump.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby tigerbob on Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:10 am

I appologize for not reading the whole thread before posting (if what I have to say has already been said.)

Would it make any difference if the game history was saved to the user's computer after each round and then deleted from the server?

I would like to have the game history for learning purposes, but I would like for the history to only be available to those that are in game. I think it would be detrimental to allow general public access to histories that would lead to datamining such as is/was done in online poker.
Sergeant tigerbob

Postby agentcom on Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:30 pm

tigerbob wrote:I appologize for not reading the whole thread before posting (if what I have to say has already been said.)

Would it make any difference if the game history was saved to the user's computer after each round and then deleted from the server?

I would like to have the game history for learning purposes, but I would like for the history to only be available to those that are in game. I think it would be detrimental to allow general public access to histories that would lead to datamining such as is/was done in online poker.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that in the history of this suggestion someone did promote an exportable feature, and the admin liked that idea briefly. However, more recently, the admin have said that storage concerns would not be an impediment to implementation.

EDIT: Actually, you can see a pretty good summary of the discussion in the OP. In suggestions, you can usually check there first when you come across one of these mondo-threads
Brigadier agentcom

Postby universalchiro on Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:53 am

This replay concept seems like a potential teaching tool or a means for the victor to revel in the thrill of victory. However, there is an adverse effect. Some elite players have discerned tactical advantages with a certain style of play, they wish to hold on to this advantage and that is why they play fog games. So to allow replay would reveal secrets of tactical prowess and neutralize advantages of superior tactics. Sure one could go through the game log and piece the puzzle together to see what the elite players are doing, but most are too lazy to do this. However the lazy will click a button to watch a replay of the game.

Solution: reject this suggestion. If this suggestion is accepted, then require all parties of a game have option to accept or deny re play of game.

Worse case scenario: two players that have an adversarial relationship play each other, and the winner records the re play of his glorious victory and he downloads the recorded replay to upload to his avatar or profile wall, to then humiliate the loser.

I vote "No" on replay concept. On the grounds of exposing secret battle tactics and the inclination of mankind to abuse a system for self gain, self glory or detriment of another.
General universalchiro
SoC Training Adviser

Postby chapcrap on Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:15 am

universalchiro wrote:I vote "No" on replay concept. On the grounds of exposing secret battle tactics and the inclination of mankind to abuse a system for self gain, self glory or detriment of another.

I don't view this as that valid, personally. However, I don't mind if someone wants to accept/deny replay as an option. That could actually help save server space.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby tigerbob on Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:08 pm

agentcom wrote:
tigerbob wrote:I appologize for not reading the whole thread before posting (if what I have to say has already been said.)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that in the history of this suggestion someone did promote an exportable feature, and the admin liked that idea briefly. However, more recently, the admin have said that storage concerns would not be an impediment to implementation.

EDIT: Actually, you can see a pretty good summary of the discussion in the OP. In suggestions, you can usually check there first when you come across one of these mondo-threads

fwiw, i did read the OP. I didn't just come across it, it was brought up in a different forum by someone else (i believe Dukasaur.) My main point was that I would hate to see it turn into a datamining function. I don't know if someone had already mentioned that or not and didn't want to wade through 20+ pages of discussion to find out. Datamining may not be as big a problem with this game but I think it was detrimental to the poker community growing.
Sergeant tigerbob

AT END of GAME - GRAPHICAL INSTANT REPLY/REVIEW

Postby jojosasa on Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:42 pm

Hi,

AT END of GAME - GRAPHICAL INSTANT REPLY/REVIEW

When the game is all finished, an option to see a graphical/visual development of the game . move by move.

Not the text version, but the graphical map version.

You have the option to click forward or backwards to see the unfolding of the game. (Including fog of war)

Excellent for team strategy or review. Able to teach other player, thereby creating dialogue about CC, and keeping players engaged in the game. It be fun to see how fog of war troop deployments & movements develop.

Hardcore gamer's with probably too much time on their hands will review the text (NO FUN). Make it easier and enjoyable for everyone.

PLEASE... Don't be that person that says "I don't won't people to know my moves or this may better my opponents game" because that's a loser approach to gaming. True gamer's teach other's, while improving themselves.

It may help grow the game

Thank You.
Corporal 1st Class jojosasa

Re: AT END of GAME - GRAPHICAL INSTANT REPLY/REVIEW

Postby Dukasaur on Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:20 pm

Good idea, although it's not new. I see a merged thread in your future...:)
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby spiesr on Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:01 pm

Captain spiesr

Simple Animation of game log actions taken since last turn

Postby thegurumonkey on Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:56 am

Concise description:
  • Simple Animation of game log actions taken since last turn

Specifics/Details:
  • A beautiful version of this would no doubt be hard to program, but what I'm proposing is a very simple visual representation of the actions taken since your last turn. (this could be since your last PLAYED turn, or not if that's harder... Another penalty for missing turns would be no bad thing).

Graphically this could be exactly the same visual as during playing your own turn, with a set time (possibly set to player preference) per action.
    Perhaps it could be visually improved with a simple arrow in the attacker's colour pointing in the direction of attack, but not strictly necessary.

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
  • Differences vs reading game log : this method would (probably) make it more evident than game log does if a territory had been attacked but NOT conquered. Also deferred troops would have to be shown going down at the end of turns, unlike the game log, which mentions them at the beginning.

Essentially this would provide an efficient (or lazy) optional means to catch up on what's happened.

IIt would provide an easy get around for various short comings of the game log :
    - finding all the places can be time consuming
    - game log and the map cannot be seen together on smart phone
    - game log on smart phone can be a little glitchy.

It might help less literate or less info-hungry players to see patterns and behaviours by seeing more than a snap shot of a game
Last edited by thegurumonkey on Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sergeant thegurumonkey

Re: Simple Animation of game log actions taken since last tu

Postby thegurumonkey on Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:03 am

I'm suggesting this as an optional button called 'catch-up' or something of that ilke, available to click instead of (ie before) the 'begin turn' button.
Could also use the same code to provide a 'view whole game' button at the end (sped up obviously)
Sergeant thegurumonkey

Postby owenshooter on Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:13 pm

oh... you mean like taking snapshots before and after your turns? oh... what a wonderful idea... wait, why not just take snapshots? that already exists... wonderful idea, if something didn't already exist on the site that accomplishes the same thing and doesn't require additional programming... the black jesus has shot this down...-Jésus noir
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
makes it ever so much more erotically thrilling"
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby thegurumonkey on Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:00 pm

don't think you've understood me. i was trying to describe an easy way to SEE YOUR OPPONENT'S MOVES. But in a visual way, rather than by cross referencing reading the game log with scrolling up and looking for place names on the map. (as if you've sat and stared at the screen during your opponent's turns, but sped up obviously. ie it might look like a bot replaying the moves in the game log)... maybe i'm not explaining myself well. it's simple in my head...
Sergeant thegurumonkey

Postby owenshooter on Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:20 pm

thegurumonkey wrote:don't think you've understood me. i was trying to describe an easy way to SEE YOUR OPPONENT'S MOVES. But in a visual way, rather than by cross referencing reading the game log with scrolling up and looking for place names on the map. (as if you've sat and stared at the screen during your opponent's turns, but sped up obviously. ie it might look like a bot replaying the moves in the game log)... maybe i'm not explaining myself well. it's simple in my head...

that makes more sense... don't see them expending the time or hours of programming to get this done any time soon, with all that the site is currently facing... pretty sure this has been suggested before, do a quick search or maybe a mod will merge this with an existing game... and you've only played 51 games on the site, you pretty much learn the maps and can see the movements after a bit of a learning curve... anyway, good luck with this, but i doubt this is going to be done anytime soon...-Jésus noir
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
makes it ever so much more erotically thrilling"
Lieutenant owenshooter

Re: [GL] Playback/Replay/Rewind/Review/History Game Feature

Postby thisisdan on Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:10 pm

Hey folks,

Conquer Club NEEDS this feature! You may have heard of a little internet video site called twitch? Watching replays of games is standard practice these days and will generate more interest in CC. I get frustrated when I can't go back and see what happened in a FOW game.

Here's one small example of another game that, i'm sure, didn't have the storage space for old games either...

Outwitters for iOS:
Initially, the developer built in the ability to graphically playback the last 5 games in-app
A "fan" created a separate website called "Outwitters Sports Network" (http://osn.codepenguin.com/) that could take the replay data from Outwitters (i'm assuming it is just some simple xml) and host it on their own replay/statistics site
Initially, users had the ability to copy a url of a game once finished in-app and paste that into OSN to view their replay online (and store it there)
Eventually, I assume a feed was established between the two sites because now everything is updated daily, I think.

So, i'm no coder, but I would think that there are some common elements to all games that could be distilled to a very simple and small xml code which could be kept on hand for a short period of time. Another site could then be established, hosting all the graphical elements of CC and use the xml game code to replay any game on any map. Anyways, I know I'm over simplifying and since I cannot do this myself, I cannot speak to how much time this would take, but I think it would be well worth it and perhaps draw in some new users.
Sergeant thisisdan

Re: [GL] Playback/Replay/Rewind/Review/History Game Feature

Postby nietzsche on Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:13 pm

well?
el cartoncito mas triste del mundo
General nietzsche

Previous

Return to Suggestions