Conquer Club

Is there any need/desire for a general newsletter?

Current news, information, and exciting things from the world of Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Is there any need/desire for a general newsletter?

Postby Symmetry on Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:10 am

tzor wrote:
Symmetry wrote:I'm not sure if there are many long-running members of CC left who would want to take on a poisoned chalice at this point- Duk thinks that journalists are whores, so he's out. You're already jaded, so you're out. I doubt that forum regulars would accept me, so there's me out...

First of all, what does "journalism" have to do with this? I am not seeing the "news" volume. A newsletter be more like the newsletter for my singing group; tips for playing the game, interesting tidbits from clans, and so forth.

Second, how am I jaded? I probably have the least opinions on CC than anybody. If someone writes an article about the best way to play fog, I'm not arguing, I'm taking notes.

Again, you can't put the cart before the horse. Step one is getting material. I can guarantee if we got material we could put it somewhere. It might look mediocre as hall, but we can put it somewhere.

Which leads us to the second problem the somewhere. Right now, all we have is a forum for storage of articles and a forum with very limited pretty printing placement options. But it's still better than nothing.

If we get to first base we can get someone to grab this all and throw it into a PDF file. Now it looks great but we don't have the facility to share it in this configuration. We could get a third party web hosting service but that costs money. Or we could use a service to push the newsletter out via email but that costs money also. Life can be hard when you have no budget.

So let's recap. First base is people making articles. Second base is compiling and formatting. Third base is publishing.

Clearly we need interest for first base.
Second base is easy.
We don't have a clue how to get to third base but there are multiple ways of getting there.
And back home? That's a readership that actually likes the publication and benefits from it.

It's not the job of the editor to "maintain enthusiasm." It's the job of the editor to get the format so that it generates enthusiasm, but the articles have to also be enthusiasm worthy. I would be more than willing to do the final touches, assuming that the writers have had the decency to do basic spell checking on the submissions.

First is actually having someone who wants to run the newsletter. People aren't going to write a newsletter article for a newsletter that doesn't exist.

That would be putting the cart before the horse. You need a driving force before you request content, or at least an indication that the content will go somewhere.

If you're not too jaded, are you willing to step up and be Mr Ed?
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby riskllama on Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:00 pm

lol, i'd love to read playing tips from sym... :lol:
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby Symmetry on Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:17 am

riskllama wrote:lol, i'd love to read playing tips from sym... :lol:

I'd be fascinated to see you write a grammatically correct sentence. Capital letters aren't your enemy, RL.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby riskllama on Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:01 am

meh.
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby BoganGod on Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:46 am

tzor wrote:
Symmetry wrote:I'm not sure if there are many long-running members of CC left who would want to take on a poisoned chalice at this point- Duk thinks that journalists are whores, so he's out. You're already jaded, so you're out. I doubt that forum regulars would accept me, so there's me out...

First of all, what does "journalism" have to do with this? I am not seeing the "news" volume. A newsletter be more like the newsletter for my singing group; tips for playing the game, interesting tidbits from clans, and so forth.

Second, how am I jaded? I probably have the least opinions on CC than anybody. If someone writes an article about the best way to play fog, I'm not arguing, I'm taking notes.

Again, you can't put the cart before the horse. Step one is getting material. I can guarantee if we got material we could put it somewhere. It might look mediocre as hall, but we can put it somewhere.

Which leads us to the second problem the somewhere. Right now, all we have is a forum for storage of articles and a forum with very limited pretty printing placement options. But it's still better than nothing.

If we get to first base we can get someone to grab this all and throw it into a PDF file. Now it looks great but we don't have the facility to share it in this configuration. We could get a third party web hosting service but that costs money. Or we could use a service to push the newsletter out via email but that costs money also. Life can be hard when you have no budget.

So let's recap. First base is people making articles. Second base is compiling and formatting. Third base is publishing.

Clearly we need interest for first base.
Second base is easy.
We don't have a clue how to get to third base but there are multiple ways of getting there.
And back home? That's a readership that actually likes the publication and benefits from it.

It's not the job of the editor to "maintain enthusiasm." It's the job of the editor to get the format so that it generates enthusiasm, but the articles have to also be enthusiasm worthy. I would be more than willing to do the final touches, assuming that the writers have had the decency to do basic spell checking on the submissions.

No one, forum goer or dedicated gamer would cop DSOIV or any single issue SJW hypocrite preaching at them about whatever virtue signalling talking point was on their limited radar that week. I contributed to the NewsLetter in the past, and would be prepared to do the occasional opp ed or maybe a regular column. Was heavily involved in the clan world last time I contributed, not that into clan things atm, so probably not suited to that. The frequency of publication would influence what type of articles would be suitable for inclusion.
Corporal BoganGod

Postby IcePack on Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:41 am

Speaking of clan things, we still do a Clan Newsletter

viewtopic.php?f=438&t=221267

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby Symmetry on Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:41 pm

BoganGod wrote:
No one, forum goer or dedicated gamer would cop DSOIV or any single issue SJW hypocrite preaching at them about whatever virtue signalling talking point was on their limited radar that week.

And yet you obsessively follow my every word and have a special nickname for me. It's like a stalker who constantly follows someone telling them that nobody is interested in them.

IcePack:
If Bogan is anything to go by, I think I'd draw in the crowds.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby BoganGod on Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:58 am

IcePack wrote:Speaking of clan things, we still do a Clan Newsletter

viewtopic.php?f=438&t=221267

Is it possible to get a subscription to this mate? Would be great. Clans aren't what keeps me on CC, my friends are. Friends that happen to be in the clan with me. Playing games with them is a way to visit and have a hobby.
Corporal BoganGod

Postby tzor on Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:47 pm

Symmetry wrote:If you're not too jaded, are you willing to step up and be Mr Ed?

Yes. But we are not going to see any issues until we get articles and we need people committed to writing those articles. (We also need graphics gurus but I know we have a fantastic source of graphics gurus who can many any article look great!)
Cadet tzor

Postby tzor on Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:49 pm

Symmetry wrote:I'd be fascinated to see you write a grammatically correct sentence. Capital letters aren't your enemy, RL.

Don't worry, I'll rename riskllama's column "the c c e e cummings column"
Cadet tzor

Postby tzor on Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:52 pm

IcePack wrote:https://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=438&t=221267

Google Docs? I suppose that is an option.
Cadet tzor

Postby IcePack on Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:33 pm

tzor wrote:

I wanted to look like newspaper column as my new format. So I found the medium that most easily allows me to do that while not creating an undue burden on myself or the reader

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby EBConquer on Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:18 am

IcePack wrote:
tzor wrote:

I wanted to look like newspaper column as my new format. So I found the medium that most easily allows me to do that while not creating an undue burden on myself or the reader

"Is there any need/desire"? Looks great and best one we've had yet. Kudos!

I'm feeling ideas coming on from tzor. lol
Colonel EBConquer

Postby tzor on Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:46 am

EBConquer wrote:I'm feeling ideas coming on from tzor. lol

Well a lot of the hard questions are somewhat answered. Of course we need potential writers. Do you write short blurbs or do you babble on? There is a difference in style between an almost advert like paper with large font and the New York Times, for example. Of course we can always accommodate both styles of writing at the same time, although it's more complex in formatting. (Note: newsletters are not newspapers; having the first paragraph of an article and directing them deep into the paper works with newspapers, not with newsletters.)
Cadet tzor

Previous

Return to Conquer Club Newsletter