Conquer Club

The BG Coaches Poll [archive]

Abandoned challenges and other old information.

Moderator: Clan Directors

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

The BG Coaches Poll [archive]

Postby BGtheBrain on Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:38 am

Last edited by BGtheBrain on Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:40 am, edited 16 times in total.
Captain BGtheBrain

Re: The BG Coaches Poll

Postby crazy4catnip on Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:32 pm

I like the idea. But I don't have enough experience with the top clans (or even bother to follow how they are doing) to provide a decent ranking, so I'm not a good candidate to be a voter.

-- crazy4catnip
"Who cares about geopolitical issues when the f*****g walls are melting."
Major crazy4catnip

Postby Bruceswar on Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:22 pm

Add me in please. :)
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby angola on Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:27 pm

I'm willing to represent AOC.
Highest rank: 48th. Highest score: 3,384. Feb. 9, 2014.
Captain angola

Postby BGtheBrain on Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:28 pm

Last edited by BGtheBrain on Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Captain BGtheBrain

Postby peanutsdad on Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:31 pm

You can ad me as the Mythology representative.
Lieutenant peanutsdad

Postby jefjef on Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:54 pm

Sure. Why not. :)
This post was made by jefjef who should be on your ignore list.
drunkmonkey wrote:I'm filing a C&A report right now. Its nice because they have a drop-down for "jefjef".
Colonel jefjef

Postby t4mcr53s2 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:31 pm

i'll rep Aok but as a new clan I'm inexperienced for your purpose this year
Colonel t4mcr53s2

Postby freakns on Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:41 pm

i can go as Otpisani representative...

although, i think you will need to change a format a bit. its common knowledge that every clan(expect maybe TOFU cause Dako is dying of jealousy when he sees all the sexiness in our clan) would vote Otpisani as top clan, so if you remove that we would finish with 0 points(top2 in every clan voting+0 points from TOFU as they wouldnt have us on their list)
Brigadier freakns

Postby Swimmerdude99 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:51 pm

I would think you might contact Leehar. he is very in tune with the ongoings.
Offsite to 12/31/2023. Reach out to TheSpaceCowboy to reach me
Major Swimmerdude99

Postby Chariot of Fire on Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:50 pm

Hi BG, thanks for the PM. Yeah sure, feel free to add me as the TOFU rep.

It will be quite a bit of work to do for each rep (if researched properly) so do you mind me asking what purpose it will serve, given that there's already the widely accepted F400 ranking table? Cheers.
Highest position #5 (18 Nov 2010) General 4,380pts (11 Dec 2010)
Colonel Chariot of Fire

Postby ViperOverLord on Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:10 pm

If you send me a pm wanting a vote. I'll vote for Man D. (Manifest Destiny).
Major ViperOverLord

Postby ScaryTeded on Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:02 pm

Jimmy V Will represent the LOTZ in this matter as he is more in tune with these matters.
Teddy
Sergeant 1st Class ScaryTeded

Postby BGtheBrain on Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:46 am

Last edited by BGtheBrain on Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Captain BGtheBrain

Postby eddie2 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:19 am

hummm thanks for the invite bg. but this will just be a popularity vote system. some examples would be

the pack afos empire tsm...

the pack pissed several clans off (not aka) so these clans would put them at the bottom of these 4 clans on there ranking (you could say they wouldn't but they would...) and even put lower ranked clans higher up going by how they like there members.

same as things like the f400 all these done was stuffed up the clan world before these ranking systems you could challenge any clan and they would accept if there rooster wasnt 2 busy... now it is all about how far down the ranking system they would end up... lets just bin all this crap play your wars cups and enjoy your time playing games...

i think a better idea would be to have a ranking system on how the clan behaves during a war... with marks for 2 list some

game play
organization
thread attitude
game chat...
Major eddie2

Postby Swifte on Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:30 am

eddie2 wrote:the pack pissed several clans off (not aka) so these clans would put them at the bottom of these 4 clans on there ranking (you could say they wouldn't but they would...) and even put lower ranked clans higher up going by how they like there members.

well, if we see behavior like that, it would certainly indicate that it is not a very effective ranking. won't know for sure until we get responses and see though. I'd be surprised and disappointed to see voting like that from anyone.
Colonel Swifte

Postby Leehar on Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:09 pm

Swifte wrote:
eddie2 wrote:the pack pissed several clans off (not aka) so these clans would put them at the bottom of these 4 clans on there ranking (you could say they wouldn't but they would...) and even put lower ranked clans higher up going by how they like there members.

well, if we see behavior like that, it would certainly indicate that it is not a very effective ranking. won't know for sure until we get responses and see though. I'd be surprised and disappointed to see voting like that from anyone.

It may never be as major, but you'll always have some element of bias, it just depends on how well BG can smooth the variations.
It doesn't even have to be malicious, an easy example is Grifftron's prediction of Tofu to win the CC3, that is his honest opinion, but thats based a lot on Pack losing to Tofu and thinking them better than say Kort who they've never played in a full-on war.

He may very well be right that they are better, but it still based on his own perspective, which in some ways is the main value of an opinion poll like this (to get an overall perception of where people think Clans lie.

FYI I wouldn't mind being involved in voting here :)
Thanks for the props swimmer!
show
Colonel Leehar

Postby Jimmy V on Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:02 pm

I don't think there is anything wrong with voting for clans and, like college basketball, there is a level of awareness the computers could not give. Using the 4 beats 1 example, it may not make a big difference in either the computer ranking or the vote, but the voters may know that two members of the #1 clan just quit and went to #4, resulting in a win. If so, I might be inclined to move the #4 team ahead of the #1 team...

Just my .02
Lieutenant Jimmy V

Postby chemefreak on Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:31 pm

Sounds like good old fashioned, non-binding, fun. Count me in.
:twisted: ChemE :twisted:
братья в рукоятках
I ♥ ++The Legion++
Lieutenant chemefreak

Postby Chariot of Fire on Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:22 pm

Polls such as this are certainly subject to bias. I remember TOFU having gone two years undefeated and having the strongest line-up of players (small clan, average rank brigadier) yet Blitz perennially ranked us #6 as he said TOFU were 'unproven'. It therefore made sense that - rather like diving/skating etc - the highest and lowest marks were discarded so that the mean average was less affected by a biased vote. And the one thing that I always felt was important in a ranking table such as this was to identify a clan's strength/potential rather than a recent loss in a challenge. No clan goes on undefeated, yet even after one or two losses you probably wouldn't (shouldn't?) demote them in your perception of their potential.

So for me this is rather like a 'seeding' method. Nadal may not have played competitive tennis for eight months and has slipped down the ATP rankings, yet he would most certainly be seeded in the Top 4 if he entered a tourney. That's why I think it's important to look at a clan's membership when conducting this exercise - it's all about potential rather than past results (which the F400 capably accomplishes).

And just for the record....if I do submit a Top 25 ranking it will have been done with the input of others in my clan rather than just my own perception. Makes sense to run a poll in one's clan forum and get a more-balanced result. Cheers
Colonel Chariot of Fire

Postby IcePack on Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:42 pm

Of course there is an element of individual perspective (aka bias). That's why there are many opinions given, otherwise it would be "BG's biased one person poll". More voices are combined into a chorus rather than solo.

I also would hope that if he is selective in his selections of voices, reasonable minds can give their individual perspectives, while giving an honest self evaluation not completely dominating their poll. (can't think of the exact word I'm looking for here).

But in the end, removing the top and bottom score and having some good coaches selected for this poll, we can get a good picture of the OVERALL picture of clan perceptions / potential

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby eddie2 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:53 am

IcePack wrote:Of course there is an element of individual perspective (aka bias). That's why there are many opinions given, otherwise it would be "BG's biased one person poll". More voices are combined into a chorus rather than solo.

hey aka bias were not biased :lol: :lol: :lol:
Major eddie2

Postby John Deere on Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:28 am

Swifte wrote:

I would LOVE to see jefjef's ranking of us.....25th everytime :D :lol:
I could care less how we are ranked in any system, we enjoy our group and love the game. But would like to see how everyone as a combined group sees the clan world :)
Thanks grifftron for the pic! Your the man:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjwAucpiC6Q&list=QL&playnext=1
Major John Deere

Postby Chariot of Fire on Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:37 am

Last edited by Chariot of Fire on Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Colonel Chariot of Fire

Postby Chariot of Fire on Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:44 am

I couldn't care less

fixed ;)

Colonel Chariot of Fire

Next

Return to Clan Archives