Conquer Club

You Can Design the Official Clan Icons! [CDF Discussion]

Abandoned challenges and other old information.

Moderator: Clan Directors

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: You Can Design the Official Clan Icons!

Postby Shannon Apple on Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:09 pm

Qwert wrote:well mine icons are not officials, so this mean that im first who apply for contest.
But im suspicion in one thing

>>The entries will be judged by the Clan Directors.<<

recent situation could put me in bad situation, because could judge subjective in mine icons, so maybe its better to step back with mine icons.
its will be more fair that clan leaders vote for new set.

Art is always subjective, qwert. :P

There is such thing as good and bad, but there's also taste. Even those of us who are design professionals will have favourites among many perfectly awesome designs. Just how it is :P
00:33:53 ‹riskllama› will her and i ever hook up, LLT???
00:34:09 ‹LiveLoveTeach› You and Shannon?
00:34:20 ‹LiveLoveTeach› Bahahahahahaha
00:34:22 ‹LiveLoveTeach› I doubt it
00:34:30 ‹LiveLoveTeach› I don't think she's into farm animals
Brigadier Shannon Apple
Chatter
Chatter

Postby iAmCaffeine on Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:55 am

Shannon Apple wrote:
Qwert wrote:well mine icons are not officials, so this mean that im first who apply for contest.

recent situation could put me in bad situation, because could judge subjective in mine icons, so maybe its better to step back with mine icons.

There is such thing as good and bad, but there's also taste. Even those of us who are design professionals will have favourites among many perfectly awesome designs. Just how it is :P

I'd also add that, fairly often, a professional designer often prefers their own work over a colleague's or competitor's. Not always the case of course, but designers often have their own niche way of working because they prefer it, so automatically don't favour another designer's work as much as their own.
Cook iAmCaffeine

Postby Leehar on Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:06 am

Right now you'd still have a 50-50 shot of winning
show
Colonel Leehar

Postby Shannon Apple on Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:42 pm

iAmCaffeine wrote:
Shannon Apple wrote:

I'd also add that, fairly often, a professional designer often prefers their own work over a colleague's or competitor's. Not always the case of course, but designers often have their own niche way of working because they prefer it, so automatically don't favour another designer's work as much as their own.

Actually that couldn't be further from the truth. It is a designer's nature to always strive to be better at what he/she does. I know that personally, I will immediately see something that is better than my own and think "dammit, why didn't I think of that?" I am continually scrutinising my own work and thinking I can do better. For something like this on a forum, not so much. I'd create something without worrying about making it perfect and hope for the best because I know most are not designers, but do it as a hoby and aren't going to pick me apart and vice versa.

You have to appreciate that and perhaps with training, these people could be far more talented than I.

If I'm rebranding a company for instance, then I'm all out wanting to do something awesome to hold my reputation as a designer. Whatever that reputation is, but I'll still be looking back on it a year later and thinking "omg, that was shite." :lol:
Brigadier Shannon Apple
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Leehar on Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:54 pm

I'll close entries in around 12 hours. I'm sure we can get more than the 2 :)

With only the 2 cd's right now, I think I may very well submit it to CDF tomorrow to avoid a tie!
show
Colonel Leehar

Re: You Can Design the Official Clan Icons! [CDF Voting]

Postby Leehar on Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:59 pm

Poll is up in CDF, we have the 2 new submissions, the icons from cl5, & the latest series of images used previously which we can have someone adapt for newer clans etc
show
Colonel Leehar

Postby iAmCaffeine on Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:27 pm

Shannon Apple wrote:
iAmCaffeine wrote:
Shannon Apple wrote:

Actually that couldn't be further from the truth. It is a designer's nature to always strive to be better at what he/she does. I know that personally, I will immediately see something that is better than my own and think "dammit, why didn't I think of that?" I am continually scrutinising my own work and thinking I can do better. For something like this on a forum, not so much. I'd create something without worrying about making it perfect and hope for the best because I know most are not designers, but do it as a hoby and aren't going to pick me apart and vice versa.

You have to appreciate that and perhaps with training, these people could be far more talented than I.

If I'm rebranding a company for instance, then I'm all out wanting to do something awesome to hold my reputation as a designer. Whatever that reputation is, but I'll still be looking back on it a year later and thinking "omg, that was shite." :lol:

I'd partly agree, but I also know other graphic designers that always prefer their way of doing things and their own work over other people's, even if they genuinely aren't as good.
Cook iAmCaffeine

Postby Shannon Apple on Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:02 am

I do find some people who are absolutely terrible online too and claim that they are professional designers though! So, a lot of pro designers would be right in thinking that, because you can pretty much tell straight away who knows the rules of good design and who doesn't. They might be excellent at illustration, but their ability to actually design is blah. Crowdsourcing sites like 99designs are full of them which is why I don't waste my time on it. The client is not getting what they need. They are getting what they want, visually, at that particular time, but they aren't getting something that is created to the specific needs of their company. It's so, uh... dishonest? Yeah, I think that's the word for it. Also, you have a bunch of newly qualified designers working for free in the hopes that they get paid. All them wasted hours. :( I feel that both the designer and the client are being exploited in those instances. The prettiest might not actually be the best solution. Like some of the most successful brand identities in the world are the simplest. They're immediately recognisable and memorable.

You can be right about some designers though. I do know one guy that was in my Master's class last year and he wasn't a good designer at all, yet, he thought he was. It wasn't until he accepted his flaws that his stuff improved immensely.

.... and we're rambling off topic :lol:
Brigadier Shannon Apple
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Qwert on Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:41 am

shannon i dont know if you talk about me,,but im not any kind of designer, i just make this things for fun.
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Shannon Apple on Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:34 am

Haha, no, not at all. I do this stuff for fun too.

Crowdsourcing sites are there to make a profit from clients and designers as they act as the middleman. :)
Brigadier Shannon Apple
Chatter
Chatter

Postby JBlombier on Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:09 am

It'd be nice if it showed VDLL instead of DVLL under the official CLANS-thingy. Any idea who I should contact for this? The icon is fine, by the way.
Colonel JBlombier

Postby Leehar on Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:35 pm

JBlombier wrote:It'd be nice if it showed VDLL instead of DVLL under the official CLANS-thingy. Any idea who I should contact for this? The icon is fine, by the way.

The run-off vote between the following 2 designs has commenced, and we'll ensure that the names are in line with Clan Tags once the winner is announced.
Options 1 & 2 received 7 & 5 votes respectively, with 3&4 (as shown in the dispatch viewtopic.php?f=430&t=196031#p4288758) receiving 2 each

Leehar wrote:
show: Option 1

show: Option 2
show
Colonel Leehar

Postby Qwert on Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:42 pm

Leehar wrote:
JBlombier wrote:It'd be nice if it showed VDLL instead of DVLL under the official CLANS-thingy. Any idea who I should contact for this? The icon is fine, by the way.

The run-off vote between the following 2 designs has commenced, and we'll ensure that the names are in line with Clan Tags once the winner is announced.
Options 1 & 2 received 7 & 5 votes respectively, with 3&4 (as shown in the dispatch viewtopic.php?f=430&t=196031#p4288758) receiving 2 each

Leehar wrote:

so acording on polls , only 16 clans will decide what other will need to USe for clan icons???
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby IcePack on Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:46 pm

Qwert wrote:
Leehar wrote:

Leehar wrote:

so acording on polls , only 16 clans will decide what other will need to USe for clan icons???

All clans have the ability to vote, so if only 16 care enough to vote then perhaps the other clans should consider replacing their representative who isn't representing them well.

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby Qwert on Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:59 am

well i know that mine clan have Insignia, and its will not be change in some black white silhouettes, who dont represent anything.

Why are this better then our own icon?

Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Shannon Apple on Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:11 am

lol @ qwert. That's a terrible interpretation. :P

No one would just slap on a black layer like that.

As for the other design. I hate the wind. It looks tacky and shouts out "I had to add something." Sometimes it is better not to try to add effects for the sake of it. Leave it alone as a plain thing if you must. It looks waaaaay better plain than with wind. ;)
Brigadier Shannon Apple
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Qwert on Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:41 am

Shannon Apple wrote:lol @ qwert. That's a terrible interpretation. :P

No one would just slap on a black layer like that.

As for the other design. I hate the wind. It looks tacky and shouts out "I had to add something." Sometimes it is better not to try to add effects for the sake of it. Leave it alone as a plain thing if you must. It looks waaaaay better plain than with wind. ;)

when i create CL5 icons, i ask for every clan leaders to provide me images, what they want to represent hem, so i think that this need to be apply for future. Ofcourse if some clan want to have black silhouette on same shileds, then this clan can give permision, and clan who dont want to have this, can refuse that this represent clan.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Shannon Apple on Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:08 am

Clan mods, you should have let qwert design them. He's the expert. :lol:
Brigadier Shannon Apple
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Keefie on Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:31 am

Qwert's designs were one of the four options, they didn't make the final 2 in the vote.
Click image to enlarge.
Major Keefie
Chatter
Chatter

Postby macbone on Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:35 am

Like Qwert, I'd rather our clan use our own logo. Option 1, the one with the shields, is rather bland, and I'm not liking the wind element from the 2nd batch.

The originals with the black background are much nicer.
Colonel macbone

Postby Armandolas on Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:39 am

its not about the final results on the poll, but qwert is quite right on his words.
Mythology has his own icon(wich , in my opinion is one of the best around) so i would be disapointed to have it replaced by option n1.
Same applies of the Tofu robot, i would be disapointed to have that silhoutette instead of the robot.

So my opinion is , only clans that dont bother to create their own icon, should have the "default"one
Colonel Armandolas

Postby macbone on Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:42 am

I far, far prefer our clan logo:

Why not have each clan submit a logo, rather than one set made by one designer?
Colonel macbone

Postby iAmCaffeine on Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:48 am

Agreed, let us design our own. For those clans who don't have someone capable of doing so, I'm sure they have friends in other clans that can take 5 minutes to do something for them.
Cook iAmCaffeine

Postby Shannon Apple on Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:33 am

Just playing with you qwert. :)

See that's what wasn't done here. People should have provided icons they use before anything was designed, preferably on a transparent background so that any format could be used and if they didn't have a proper icon, then allow for a stand in icon, so they could come up with one later. it's not the end of the world if a clan doesn't have an icon right now. :P

I think people are taking it too literal. Either of these sets of icons can be changed to better suit what the clans want, but you need to talk to whoever wins about that. Treat them both like design proposals that can be worked around.

Set 1. Can be replaced with clan's preferred images in format with transparent background to fit in the shield's format. If people want their colour icon, or a different icon what's the big deal? Ask them to make it so.

Set 2. Also can be replaced with clan's preferred images in format with transparent background to be placed on the black background. Again if people want better images, as him/her to change what they used. (Of course originals without the wind effect. )

There's no need to turn it into another big clan forum fight over whose clan images didn't get used, or how you guys are being forced to not use what ever icons you want. I believe it does say in the OP something about some clans might wanting to change stuff? Leehar was asking for a design proposal as such. Tired of seeing clans people get into massive fights over silly things. Stop, think, and negotiate before it turns into another brawl. lol.
Brigadier Shannon Apple
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Armandolas on Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:12 pm

cant see anyone fighting here, only expressing their opinions
Colonel Armandolas

Next

Return to Clan Archives