Page 2 of 2

Re: Fog Delay the start

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:44 am
by SirSebstar
thats not how i read it, but okay. so then we have games that dont start for 36 hours.. and that only to please the few lads and ladies with firefox? cause nobody else bothers to take snapshots

Re: Fog Delay the start

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:19 am
by Darwins_Bane
I think its more encompassing than taking a snapshot. Knowing that your enemy is about to take a bonus can be useful. On the other hand, you are delaying games even further.

Re: Delay start of Fog games

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:47 pm
by Queen_Herpes
drunkmonkey wrote:I'd also like to see the name of the territory you lost in the fog. The way it works now doesn't make sense. It's like my general got a report saying, "Sir, we just lost 5 troops, but we have no idea where they were."


Lol!

I like the idea of the delay, but if you have a player who only gets on the site every 24 hours, does it add some frustration? I suppose those players can just avoid playing fog, or suck it up and deal with it. Overall, seems like a great idea and the arguments against it are limited and don't really disaffect gameplay for most players.

Re: Fog Delay the start

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:54 pm
by PLAYER57832
This seems to specifically deal with freestyle, not all games, even though that was not clarified in the initial post.

I am NOT in favor of this for sequential games... at all. Even for freestyle, when I did play, it was because I was more likely to get a quick game (especially 1 vs 1). This would utterly defeat that purpose. I stopped playing freestyle because I could not sit and wait people out.

If you make it an option, fine. However, this should not be forced on anyone.

Re: Fog Delay the start

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:08 pm
by Queen_Herpes
PLAYER57832 wrote:This seems to specifically deal with freestyle, not all games, even though that was not clarified in the initial post.

I am NOT in favor of this for sequential games... at all. Even for freestyle, when I did play, it was because I was more likely to get a quick game (especially 1 vs 1). This would utterly defeat that purpose. I stopped playing freestyle because I could not sit and wait people out.

If you make it an option, fine. However, this should not be forced on anyone.


I think they mean all games. e.g. an 8 player sequential 4v4 team game... 8th player joins the game for team 2... team 2 goes first... team 2 gets to "see" everything... team 2 attacks and conquers one or more territories... team 1 doesn't get to know which territory(ies) was/were taken.

But you are right, shouldn't be forced on anyone.

Re: Fog Delay the start

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:39 pm
by PLAYER57832
Darwins_Bane wrote:I think its more encompassing than taking a snapshot. Knowing that your enemy is about to take a bonus can be useful. On the other hand, you are delaying games even further.

Exactly. As an option.. no problem. People who want this (clan competitions can specify it, tournaments can use it, etc.) fine. As a forced action.. no.

Fog of War 24 Hr Delay

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:23 pm
by osujacket
For fog of war would it be possible to put a delay in the game to allow a snapshot for both sides? This would prevents someone from starting the game without the other one getting a fair look at the map.

Once the snap shot was taken the person could end the turn and it could begin. It wouldnt have to last 24 hours.

Consider it.

Re: Fog of War 24 Hr Delay

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:21 pm
by Hannibał
I don't like the idea, FoW is FoW. Part of the fun of it is if your first and you can blind your opponent from much of the map they have to guess where you are, and vice versa if your the blinded. That's what I enjoy about it atleast.

Re: Fog Delay the start

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:38 pm
by TheForgivenOne
Merged

Re: Fog of War 24 Hr Delay

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:36 am
by drunkmonkey
Hannibał wrote:I don't like the idea, FoW is FoW. Part of the fun of it is if your first and you can blind your opponent from much of the map they have to guess where you are, and vice versa if your the blinded. That's what I enjoy about it atleast.


Part of the fun is the player who goes first getting an extra advantage? I feel comfortable saying you're in the tiny minority who believes that statement.

Re: Fog of War 24 Hr Delay

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:23 pm
by squishyg
drunkmonkey wrote:
Hannibał wrote:I don't like the idea, FoW is FoW. Part of the fun of it is if your first and you can blind your opponent from much of the map they have to guess where you are, and vice versa if your the blinded. That's what I enjoy about it atleast.


Part of the fun is the player who goes first getting an extra advantage? I feel comfortable saying you're in the tiny minority who believes that statement.


I'm in that minority too. Fog is fog.

....................................................................

I do support this suggestion, or automatic snapshots, or SOMETHING. However I feel compelled to address some followers of the Fog Party. I'm sick to death of receiving passive aggressive messages from players complaining about it not being fair that they didn't get a chance to use an advantage that many players don't have access to. I've made my thoughts on this "level playing field" clear and I don't want to derail the thread, so again, I support this suggestion.

In the meantime, if you want your opponent to wait to begin their turn, have the courtesy to message them and request this favor instead of being indignant that they didn't adhere to your rules of etiquette.

Re: Fog Delay the start

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:03 pm
by spiesr