Conquer Club

Language Filter on Home Page.

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

Language Filter on Home Page.

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:41 am

Concise description:
  • Have a button on the home page to allow the main texts around the site to be displayed in a few languages

Specifics/Details:
  • As above. Things like rules, medals etc. Then later on, the handbooks for tournaments and map foundry could be done. SoC rules and openness can be added.

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
  • This would benefit the site as it would open up the site to non English speaking people, bringing in more revenue when they turn premium. This might not be a great suggestion but it will allow the site more money, and more updates for us here now. ;)
Lieutenant koontz1973

Re: Language Filter on Home Page.

Postby QoH on Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:50 am

Wow. I'm surprised this hasn't been implemented already. An international site shouldn't limit its content to English speakers.
Please don't invite me to any pickup games. I will decline the invite.
Major QoH

Postby Ace Rimmer on Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:55 am

Definitely an obvious idea that should be implemented.
Lieutenant Ace Rimmer

Postby chapcrap on Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:23 am

Agree with this. However, I think it's incorrect to say that CC hasn't reached out to other languages. I think it would be proper to give a couple more language options for home pages and rules though.

Spanish
French
Others?
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby QoH on Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:01 pm

chapcrap wrote:Agree with this. However, I think it's incorrect to say that CC hasn't reached out to other languages. I think it would be proper to give a couple more language options for home pages and rules though.

Spanish
French
Others?

It should go further is what kootz is thinking. international language forums is a step, why not language versions for the entire site?
Major QoH

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:31 pm

chapcrap wrote:Agree with this. However, I think it's incorrect to say that CC hasn't reached out to other languages. I think it would be proper to give a couple more language options for home pages and rules though.

Spanish
French
Others?

True, but having basic things like rules in other languages would make a lot of difference to a lot of new players with no English. How can a French person find the French forum if he/she does not know how to get there. Where as you and me know the rules on multi accounts, how can a Spanish person with no English.

It would also just make it more welcoming to others.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Metsfanmax on Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:53 pm

Implementing this would probably require dedicated volunteers to translate site content into their respective languages (unless lack is multilingual...).
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby QoH on Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:55 pm

Metsfanmax wrote:Implementing this would probably require dedicated volunteers to translate site content into their respective languages (unless lack is multilingual...).

Have people from the Int'l Language Forums do it. Simple. There isn't really a whole lot. Juse the little text there is on the home page, the rules, help and instructions page.
Major QoH

Postby Metsfanmax on Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:17 pm

QoH wrote:
Metsfanmax wrote:Implementing this would probably require dedicated volunteers to translate site content into their respective languages (unless lack is multilingual...).

Have people from the Int'l Language Forums do it. Simple. There isn't really a whole lot. Juse the little text there is on the home page, the rules, help and instructions page.

This content is dynamic. If lack wants to change some info on the homepage, or on the rules page, each change would then have to be translated by the volunteers as it happened.

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:57 pm

Metsfanmax wrote:
QoH wrote:

This content is dynamic. If lack wants to change some info on the homepage, or on the rules page, each change would then have to be translated by the volunteers as it happened.

Then it gets changed. Award a GA medal for the ones who do it, many players will be more than happy to do it. If anything, you would probably end up with more translations than you could handle.

Notice I stopped short in asking for maps to have translations done but this would also help.

The homepage has been the same since I joined a long time ago. How often are any of the others going to change?
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby chapcrap on Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:48 pm

QoH wrote:

Spanish
French
Others?

It should go further is what kootz is thinking. international language forums is a step, why not language versions for the entire site?

Disagree with going that far. If you get people playing on different language sites, it would weaken everything as a whole. If it remains one site with different language options for the site, then I am in favor. Otherwise, I don't want it. I think separate language sites is a bad idea.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:56 pm

QoH wrote:It should go further is what kootz is thinking. international language forums is a step, why not language versions for the entire site?

No to different sites. You water down this site as a whole, as some of the better players are not from English speaking countries. If they left to go play on the French/Spanish versions, you would lose some very good players.

As I said, a few simple things to start of with and see where it goes.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby QoH on Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:00 pm

I'm not saying to different sites, but for example, look at www.letour.com. It gives you flags to click on for whatever language you want it to be. Like that
Major QoH

Postby Metsfanmax on Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:02 pm

koontz1973 wrote:The homepage has been the same since I joined a long time ago. How often are any of the others going to change?

Actually, it has not. For example, the webmaster periodically posts links to announcements on the home page. One immediate challenge is to translate the names of those announcements, but also, it won't mean anything if they click the link to an announcement in a language they can't read (English).

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:17 am

Metsfanmax wrote:
koontz1973 wrote:The homepage has been the same since I joined a long time ago. How often are any of the others going to change?

Actually, it has not. For example, the webmaster periodically posts links to announcements on the home page. One immediate challenge is to translate the names of those announcements, but also, it won't mean anything if they click the link to an announcement in a language they can't read (English).

Not at the moment, I know the announcements at the side and the twitter/facebook links would stay in English but this would allow more who come to better understand. This is what I meant by the homepage.
Risk all your troops on a daring land grab. Use diplomacy to coordinate a group assault on the game leader. Feel the thrill of victory as you crush your last opponent.
Welcome to Conquer Club, an online multiplayer world domination game.
Designed for the casual gamer, playing Conquer Club is not a time consuming process. You can take your turn in 5 minutes with your morning cup of coffee or in between classes. A game typically lasts several days, but hardcore risk takers can play multiple games at once and stay up all night strategizing their next move.
It's free to play, so what are you waiting for? Register now!

and how hard would it be to get this done second?
Rules
Cheaters and troublemakers detract from the gaming experience of all Conquer Club players, and proactive measures are employed to protect our membership. Conquer Club reserves the right to suspend accounts and cancel Premium Memberships, with or without warning, of those players who are deemed to have violated the rules.
Rule #1: No multiple accounts
Multiple accounts are discovered by routine scans and community cheating reports. They are strictly forbidden whether or not they play in the same games or are even in use. If you suspect certain accounts belong to the same person, please report it following the instructions at the top of the Cheating & Abuse Reports forum.
Rule #2: No secret diplomacy
Any form of diplomatic discussion between opponents must be posted in the game chat in English or in a language that all opponents understand. Diplomacy includes, but is not limited to: proposing truces, negotiating alliances, and coordinating assaults. Secret diplomacy can be hard to prove, but if you suspect it you should leave the players in question appropriate ratings. If you feel certain about players engaging in secret diplomacy consider reporting them in the Cheating & Abuse Reports forum by posting a new topic.
Unwritten Rules
Obviously any gross abuse of the game is forbidden. This includes but is not limited to: throwing games or deliberately benefiting from thrown games, intentional deadbeating, holding players hostage, serial teammate killing, hijacking accounts, systematically "farming" new recruits.
Community Guidelines
Our moderation policy for the Forum, Private Messages, Live Chat and Game Chat is outlined in the community guidelines.
Privacy Policy
Your personal information is protected by our privacy policy.
Return & Refund Policy
No refunds, all sales are final. However, if you paid twice please submit a support ticket and we'll refund the additional payments.

Followed by the instruction pages. It does add up in the long run but if someone comes to play a game and does not know how, they leave, if they break the rules, they get banned. Getting some volunteers together to get these done should be simple enough. It would just be up to the site to implement it. Even if it was posted in the language forums only with a simple link on the home page must be better than nothing.

I have not asked for everything to be done, just enough to make a non English speaking person who comes in, to want to stay in.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Metsfanmax on Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:39 am

That's fine. I understand where you're coming from. I'm just pointing out that officially supporting other languages is a big deal from an administration point of view. It would be very difficult for such a customer to get site support from the team.

Postby Donelladan on Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:12 am

BUMP.

I was going to make this suggestion.

I think this is a nice idea.
I think at least a french and spanish version of CC should be made available.
I know there is some french here on CC that do not speak very well english and would have better experience if a french version existed. And we could probably attract more french is there was a french version of the website. I am assuming the same for spanish as well.

Other language could also be considered of course.

If admin find it interesting, I am ready to help translating into french.

EDIT : Is this in archived suggestions because it's refused ?
Colonel Donelladan

Postby owenshooter on Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:32 pm

Donelladan wrote:EDIT : Is this in archived suggestions because it's refused ?

you should have asked a member of the community team before bumping this... *cough*... the black jesus is speechless...-Jésus noir
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
makes it ever so much more erotically thrilling"
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby Razorvich on Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:46 pm

owenshooter wrote:
Donelladan wrote:EDIT : Is this in archived suggestions because it's refused ?

you should have asked a member of the community team before bumping this... *cough*... the black jesus is speechless...-Jésus noir

Donelladan is already a member of the Commnity Team and has a legitimate question on this subject.

If he was to start a new thread you would not be "speechless" and be jumping up and down saying why dont you do some research....
High Score: 2569
TeeGee has my PW... Wall him if I get below 1 Hour in CLAN GAMES ONLY !!
Major Razorvich
Head Chatter
Head Chatter

Postby owenshooter on Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:26 am

Donelladan wrote:If admin find it interesting, I am ready to help translating into french.

i found a neat tutorial to help get this off the ground, too!!!

i'm on board, 100%!! the black jesus has spoken...-Jésus noir

p.s.
Razorvich wrote:Donelladan is already a member of the Commnity Team and has a legitimate question on this subject.

really?!! you don't say!!! *giggle*
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby Mad777 on Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:44 am

I can help also for french and spanish translation speaking 3 languages 8-) (my german is too rusty :D )
".....Under Phucumol treatment....."
https://youtu.be/zlusWzDY4qw
Lieutenant Mad777

Postby WingCmdr Ginkapo on Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:57 am

Either we cannot afford to have it done properly. Or we are in a position where BigWham cannot put his and the sites reputation in a bad position by volunteers undertaking work which he has no way of checking.
Major WingCmdr Ginkapo

Postby owenshooter on Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:01 am

WingCmdr Ginkapo wrote:Either we cannot afford to have it done properly. Or we are in a position where BigWham cannot put his and the sites reputation in a bad position by volunteers undertaking work which he has no way of checking.

but wait... i think everyone is losing sight that is an ARCHIVED SUGGESTION... it is not as if this is fast tracked and getting done... a new suggestion should be made...-Bj
Lieutenant owenshooter

Return to Archived Suggestions