Moderator: Community Team

Re: scottish flag

Postby eddie2 on Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:50 pm

i meant northern ireland not southern the northern has its own flag 2
Major eddie2

Postby blakebowling on Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:19 pm

What it all boils down to is this:
Flags are determined by your IP address.
IP addresses can be used to get an approximate physical location.
Some countries share the same range of IP addresses, because a range of IP's is not assigned to a specific physical location, but to an ISP (Internet Service Provider).
Typically ISP's separate their range into smaller ranges based on physical location, however this is not practical in all situations. Therefore you have IP ranges that overlap certain physical areas.

The only real way to "fix" this is to allow users to set their own flag (which would require a significant amount of coding) or to remove the flags completely.
Private blakebowling

Postby White Buffalo on Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:55 pm

Sniper08 wrote:seconded, its just little reminders like this as to why we hate the english so much........

Very strong words. I am English and I always thought the Irish were fine people.
Captain White Buffalo

Postby Sniper08 on Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:41 pm

White Buffalo wrote:
Sniper08 wrote:seconded, its just little reminders like this as to why we hate the english so much........

Very strong words. I am English and I always thought the Irish were fine people.

yeah well centuries of oppression tends to lead to hate.
Colonel Sniper08
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Symmetry on Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:45 pm

Sniper08 wrote:
White Buffalo wrote:

yeah well centuries of oppression tends to lead to hate.

I'm not sure IP addresses have been around quite as long as you think they have. If it's a different issue you're talking about, I suggest the off topic forum, and wish you the best of luck.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby IR1SH ACE on Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:55 pm

Sniper08 wrote:
IR1SH ACE wrote:
eddie2 wrote:i am scottish and believe Scotland should have its own flag along with wales. since Ireland has its own flag and by the football league rugby league and other sporting events they are classed as independant. but jersey is not part of uk we have our own gov. and our own currency like the mainland uk Jersey is not apart of the eu.. so using jersey is not really gonna help you win this arguement.

eddie comments like this could see you finding yourself on my foe list......of course Ireland has its own flag...it is not part of the U.K.
except the little bit at the top which nobody cares about anyway.... :D

seconded, its just little reminders like this as to why we hate the english so much........and yeah we've been free for 91 years(96 if you count the proclamation) has the news not travelled to jersey yet?

I would like to point-out that i am in no way affiliated with sniper and do feel hate is a bit strong there sniper....I lived in England for many years and had many a good English friend & girlfriend and yes there are some knobs but its about the same as you would find in any Dublin area...

but I was prone to losing the plot a bit with the amount of English people I would meet that did believe that Ireland (the whole lot of it) was still part of the U.K......many a time in a pub with a bit of friendly banter going on..."U English this"...."Shut-up Paddy"....and so on...it would sometimes end with the phrase..."Sure were all part of the United Kingdom".... :evil:..needless to say i would soon set them right with a quick history lesson...

anyway back on-topic.....nan nan nan....\:D/ ....we have our own flag and Scottish/Welsh dont..... :-D

you should of fought harder for proper independence....lol
Last edited by IR1SH ACE on Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Major IR1SH ACE

Postby Pedronicus on Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:59 pm

Scotland are shit in world cups, they can't even make it into the fucking euros... Just do the usual scottish thing of playing CC wearing a ginger wig, clutching a can of mcewans and waving your cocks around like a limp sock....
Highest position 7th. Highest points 3311 All of my graffiti can be found here
Major Pedronicus

Postby Sniper08 on Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:41 pm

IR1SH ACE wrote:
Sniper08 wrote:
IR1SH ACE wrote:
eddie2 wrote:i am scottish and believe Scotland should have its own flag along with wales. since Ireland has its own flag and by the football league rugby league and other sporting events they are classed as independant. but jersey is not part of uk we have our own gov. and our own currency like the mainland uk Jersey is not apart of the eu.. so using jersey is not really gonna help you win this arguement.

eddie comments like this could see you finding yourself on my foe list......of course Ireland has its own flag...it is not part of the U.K.
except the little bit at the top which nobody cares about anyway.... :D

seconded, its just little reminders like this as to why we hate the english so much........and yeah we've been free for 91 years(96 if you count the proclamation) has the news not travelled to jersey yet?

I would like to point-out that i am in no way affiliated with sniper and do feel hate is a bit strong there sniper....I lived in England for many years and had many a good English friend & girlfriend and yes there are some knobs but its about the same as you would find in any Dublin area...

but I was prone to losing the plot a bit with the amount of English people I would meet that did believe that Ireland (the whole lot of it) was still part of the U.K......many a time in a pub with a bit of friendly banter going on..."U English this"...."Shut-up Paddy"....and so on...it would sometimes end with the phrase..."Sure were all part of the United Kingdom".... :evil:..needless to say i would soon set them right with a quick history lesson...

anyway back on-topic.....nan nan nan....\:D/ ....we have our own flag and Scottish/Welsh dont..... :-D

you should of fought hard for proper independence....lol

i got relatives in england scotland and wales and have visited my relatives in wales every year for the past 12 years and most are kind people but i honestly cant stand when ppl act like britain owns us and hate aint a strong word in that context as eddie implied(maybe mistakingly) that we were still apart f the uk.

anyways back on topic:

i remember a case being brought up a while ago about a person living in northern ireland wanting to change his flag to the irish flag, i think what was suggested to him was that he display his heirtage in his signature as an alternative as changing flags is based on location.
Colonel Sniper08
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Symmetry on Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:24 pm

Not sure how long the outrage can last, but as has been pointed out, the flag on your profile is based on IP address. I'm sure practical solutions would be welcome, but outrage at a pretty straightforward mechanism? Off topics is the place for that.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby blakebowling on Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:51 am

Symmetry wrote:Not sure how long the outrage can last, but as has been pointed out, the flag on your profile is based on IP address. I'm sure practical solutions would be welcome, but outrage at a pretty straightforward mechanism? Off topics is the place for that.

Agreed.

Closed and Archived.
Private blakebowling

Previous

Return to Archived Suggestions