Conquer Club

Setting to restore old layout of "My Games"

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

Setting to restore old layout of "My Games"

Postby Doc_Brown on Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:23 pm

JamesKer1 wrote:LOCKED at suggestion of OP. If you have any ideas to further TWEAK, rather than remove or make optional, the Central Command page, please go to this suggestion instead.

I absolutely hate the new "Central Command" layout for Active Games. Previously I could scan down a list at one edge of the screen to see whose turn was up. Now I have to scan my eyes all over the screen. The "new chat" notification from chat glove isn't readable on top of the red highlighting around the games where it's my turn. It's a terribly ugly and inefficient layout. I think it's the worst change I've seen to the site yet. I hated losing the "Forums" link at the top of the screen, but some quasi-acceptable alternatives were offered (including an add-on to restore the link!). Please at least give us a setting to allow us to use the old layout. I see that the watched games tab still provides the old style, so the code is still there.
Colonel Doc_Brown

Re: Setting to restore old layout of "My Games"

Postby willedtowin1 on Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:56 pm

I dislike it too....
It makes it to hard to see in Team games if any of your teammates are getting low on time =/
because you have to scroll down each game to see each games players!
I dont mind change..... But that part sucks!
Colonel willedtowin1

Postby Kaskavel on Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:11 pm

willedtowin1 wrote:I dislike it too....
It makes it to hard to see in Team games if any of your teammates are getting low on time =/
because you have to scroll down each game to see each games players!
I dont mind change..... But that part sucks!

This may be correct. But perhaps the default position of the scroll is the one that contains the player whose move is up to. I cannot check it, I do not have such a game at this moment. If it isnt, then it could just change to be so.
Colonel Kaskavel

Postby willedtowin1 on Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:32 pm

Central Command Page:
seems the scroll is working proper now.
I can see each game who's turn it is.

Still like the Old layout much better because this one is harder to read.
Smaller print, darker colors ect
I would prefer not to were glasses when taking turns.

Also,
It does have a header for Clan games,
But doesn't have headers for tournaments....
Such as:
The Championships 2014 - Flat Rate/No Spoils
Struggles in the Snow [TPA4]
Primera divisiĆ³n 2013/2014 [TPA4]
And probably many other tournaments
Last edited by willedtowin1 on Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Colonel willedtowin1

Postby trlester on Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:53 pm

Sweet Mother of Mary guys... please change it back. It's not even worth a long drawn out explanation as to why it should... ITS THAT BAD! After you change it back please enjoy the New Year and stop with the changes for a bit.

Thanks!
-T
Major trlester

Postby codierose on Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:01 pm

wow shocking thats the best they could come up with ](*,). so worth the extra $4.99
happy new
Major codierose

Postby jghost7 on Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:03 pm

Yes, we need the option to switch between former and current according to our individual needs.

J
Major jghost7

Postby Domination_44 on Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:07 pm

I can't stand this "Central Command"...For numerous reasons.

-Rather than being able to look at one horizontal row to see the details of a game (who's turn, games settings(in case you have similar games with diff settings)etc.) you have to dart your eyes all over a small game box

-The clock symbol is the most highlighted thing in the whole box... While the settings are tiny

-It will be very difficult to play multiple speed games as it'll take longer to see the time remaining and players' turns than just a simple scroll

-It is Mandatory

-Reasons already mentioned

-I can imagine with having 50+ games (which many players do) it would be very difficult to find a specific game in a maze of boxes

-The rest of the site still uses the old style set up.. So now new players will have to get used to both... Hm.

Simplicity goes a long way for a site like this, I want to be able to manage my games. A simple scroll up and down made that easy. Not to mention that I'm young and this layout hurts my eyes.

I appreciate the efforts, but there are some parts of the site that would be better off left simple. I could see this maybe working for a future mobile app/site though.
Sergeant 1st Class Domination_44

Postby JamesKer1 on Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:16 pm

bigWham wrote:There is no way anything is going to be optional here. CC has way too many options and it causes way too customized use cases and way too many issues.

As far as scrolling goes this layout is more space efficient in the majority of situations - the exceptions being smaller screens and games with 2 players. So the general answer to how much scrolling is: less.

bigWham wrote:Central Command is the old "My Games" page reworked for the modern world.

Aside from looking better, Central Command uses responsive design which you will see if you resize your browser. The main stimulus for this redesign was to make this page work better on mobile devices, small screens, and in situations, such as a Facebook Tab, where there is limited space available.
Join CrossMapAHolics!

Stephan Wayne wrote:Every day is Fool's Day on CC.

A new era of monthly challenges has begun...
Private JamesKer1

Postby BoganGod on Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:26 pm

JamesKer1 wrote:
bigWham wrote:There is no way anything is going to be optional here. CC has way too many options and it causes way too customized use cases and way too many issues.

As far as scrolling goes this layout is more space efficient in the majority of situations - the exceptions being smaller screens and games with 2 players. So the general answer to how much scrolling is: less.

bigWham wrote:Central Command is the old "My Games" page reworked for the modern world.

Aside from looking better, Central Command uses responsive design which you will see if you resize your browser. The main stimulus for this redesign was to make this page work better on mobile devices, small screens, and in situations, such as a Facebook Tab, where there is limited space available.

Thanks James, so that is an official f*ck YOU USERGROUP response? No you can't have a simple list. Plenty of decent suggestions and we go with an appearance tweak?

For reasons mentioned earlier I don't like the new "central command", however I don't play that many games so can live with it.
Corporal BoganGod

Postby codierose on Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:31 pm

JamesKer1 wrote:

why not surely its just a tick in a box NO leave the fucking site as it is

Aside from looking better
, Central Command uses responsive design which you will see if you resize your browser. The main stimulus for this redesign was to make this page work better on mobile devices, small screens, and in situations, such as a Facebook Tab, where there is limited space available.

are you pissed
Major codierose

Postby JamesKer1 on Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:32 pm

BoganGod wrote:Thanks James, so that is an official f*ck YOU USERGROUP response? No you can't have a simple list. Plenty of decent suggestions and we go with an appearance tweak?

For reasons mentioned earlier I don't like the new "central command", however I don't play that many games so can live with it.

Along with this, BW and I have made a "New Years Resolution" if you will. An easy suggestion to implement, of the community's choice, WILL be implemented into the site. Details to come, but you will like it I'm sure :)
Join CrossMapAHolics!

Private JamesKer1

Postby Domination_44 on Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:34 pm

JamesKer1 wrote:

Well, CC's biggest issues: This

Scrolling is the most efficient way to easily see and read information, this is poorly designed, eye hurting and inconvenient .

So? What's so great about the modern world? Plus, by modern to you mean a typical layout from when mobile apps first came out?

So you ruin the web design for mobile design? Way to sell out. Set your priorities to what the community's wants and needs are.
Sergeant 1st Class Domination_44

Postby WILLIAMS5232 on Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:44 am

i prefer the old view better. i don't use mobile very often. i'd much rather keep it more suitable for pc than mobile.

this will surely slow down my desire to play games for a while. maybe i'll feel like forcing myself to relearn how this works in the future.

central command sounds kind of dorky. plus a new guy probably won't stay long enough to figure out where to find his games at.

the chess sounds like a positive tho'.
Major WILLIAMS5232

Postby momopost on Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:50 am

Horrible. Have no idea which game is which. Maps are difficult to distinguish and when you do, I don't know which one it is if I have several games on the same map.

After 10 seconds of looking I still don't know if something has happened that requires me to open one or more games and check. Even I could do it at a glance before.

It's all a blur of gray. Get back the one that actually worked!

Maurice
"momopost"
General momopost

Postby concrete on Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:26 am

As a long time paying customer...this sucks. terrible idea not to give the paying customers a choice or the rite to vote on this being implemented. I hate the new layout and hope whoever's idea this was isn't allowed to have ideas again.....just dumb.
Colonel concrete

Postby codierose on Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:07 pm

JamesKer1 wrote:
BoganGod wrote:Thanks James, so that is an official f*ck YOU USERGROUP response? No you can't have a simple list. Plenty of decent suggestions and we go with an appearance tweak?

Along with this, BW and I have made a "New Years Resolution" if you will. An easy suggestion to implement, of the community's choice, WILL be implemented into the site. Details to come, but you will like it I'm sure :)

unlocked thats cool
edited deleted post for reason why
i have an easy suggestion for you turn the site back to what i fucking paid for
Major codierose

Postby JamesKer1 on Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:01 am

The old guard of online Risk, ConquerClub has been around for a long time. It's built up a large audience and a lot of maps, but not much else. The gaming interface is so old it almost looks text based. The site hasn't seen a facelift since it started in 2006. It's not an easy site to navigate, but the aging community is still strong and there are strong clans and tournaments organized in the forums. The active users have been trending downward for months, but there is still some fun to be had here.

Found this review written about CC in 2011. Keep it in mind, as this is what "the outside world" perceives us as. Our negatives have been fixed through this update.

Also, know that of the others it was compared to, only one is still "thriving". CC has something good going, and we need to make some tough changes to keep improving it.
Join CrossMapAHolics!

Private JamesKer1

Postby codierose on Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:52 am

All for change if it is any good. Take the clan tab page its first class "once it's updated" easy to follow/navigate and it looks great. But saying that I don't think it ever got finished so much more could be done with it. Now if my games page looked like that I would be happy bunny/elf. might even swayed me to pay the extra $$$.
With all the changes over the last year or so we have lost so many members in the legion at least a dozen, some not renewing so some left altogether. Every time there's a change just seem more give up. All for the sake of trying to attract new members and out of these members how many actually stay renewing membership year after year.
Major codierose

Game sheet

Postby Lord of the Dice on Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:36 am

please bring back my game sheet and get rid of the command center, make it an option

lots of analysis has been done on them both internally and public by community members. Also, please take time to search for previous similar suggestions and, if possible, to check current and archived threads before posting something "new". Delete the xxxxxxx, and substitute your text.

Any questions, contact one of the Suggestions Moderators.
[/Delete Me]

Concise description:
  • xxxxxxx

Specifics/Details:
  • xxxxxxx

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
  • xxxxxxx
Corporal Lord of the Dice

Postby concrete on Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:55 am

codie is on to the truth here....maybe we/you should be trying to keep the members you/we have and not attracting new members that may or may not stick around....now someone will turn that around saying we always want to attract new blood here, and that's true, but my god, a good leader is in touch with and knows what his/her people (that's us) want and change for the sake of change isn't always good, sometimes it's damaging to your core, and once something is changed...it's hard to go back.
Colonel concrete

Postby willedtowin1 on Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:09 am

JamesKer1 wrote:
The old guard of online Risk, ConquerClub has been around for a long time. It's built up a large audience and a lot of maps, but not much else. The gaming interface is so old it almost looks text based. The site hasn't seen a facelift since it started in 2006. It's not an easy site to navigate, but the aging community is still strong and there are strong clans and tournaments organized in the forums. The active users have been trending downward for months, but there is still some fun to be had here.

Found this review written about CC in 2011. Keep it in mind, as this is what "the outside world" perceives us as. Our negatives have been fixed through this update.

Also, know that of the others it was compared to, only one is still "thriving". CC has something good going, and we need to make some tough changes to keep improving it.

I understand you want to update things so CC wont look archaic. But at least work with
some of the ideas people are recommending. Being closed minded to the change that was made by defending said change is the wrong way to go about it. Communicating that you may need to tweek the new interface a little may not have such a negative effect on people. I think a little work on utilizing better communication skills and responding a little more positively to some thoughtful responses would be beneficial. (please dont take that personal). :)

That said,
The front page is really hard to read. It makes you have to squint your eyes to understand. I believe if you can tweek that a little you may not have so many people reacting so negatively as they have. (background color, letter sizes....Im not sure what would work). I understand you want to make it better for mobile apps..... but maybe you need an additional interface to make that happen? I dunno......as I aint that computer savy....

Respectfully,
Willie

edit:
It also makes it super hard to notice when a new game has started.
When in fog games you need to try to get a snap before anyone plays.
Thus making it harder to do so..........
Also,
The header for some games are not descriptive enough.
1 game just says "Round 2"
It dont say Round 2 of what.
in this case its:
Label: Round 2

More than likely it should say just
So ya...... a Little tweeking and your new Interface should work fine.
Colonel willedtowin1

Postby macbone on Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:55 pm

I'd really love to see an option to view games in the old My Games page. Doc enumerated many reasons to do so. I like to scan my games and jump right to my team games to participate in strategy discussion, and it's difficult to hunt for team games now on the Central Command list. Brainstorm - have the option to sort by games, bringing doubs/trips/quads to the forefront, for instance.

Also, I like to jump in and take easy turns if I have a few spare minutes and save trickier games for when I have more time. Now, it's much harder to do that.

Some people like the change, so that's good, but I'd really like to see this suggestion implemented and have the option to view games in the old format.
Colonel macbone

Postby willedtowin1 on Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:05 pm

I too would prefer the option Mac just requested.
But it sounds like the CC team is determined to keep this change.
No matter what it needs to be more user friendly...........
Colonel willedtowin1

Next

Return to Archived Suggestions