Conquer Club

Gay should not be considered taboo

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

Re: Gay should not be considered taboo

Postby Lord Arioch on Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:58 am

@blakebowling thx i hope they will listen...
Context is king! and of course using the term in a bigotry way should allways be a punishble offence!
Sergeant 1st Class Lord Arioch

Postby owenshooter on Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:28 pm

what this suggestion is aiming to do is to change the bigotry guidelines that were worked out between the site and the users many years ago. i don't see it happening... just because one user sees the word "gay" as not being bigoted, it does not assure the person seeing it, ESPECIALLY IN CHAT, will feel the same way. the bigotry guidelines err on the side of caution and it is a good thing. otherwise, we would have tons of little suburban hip hop wannabe kids dropping the N bomb in here ending with an A, declaring it is a different word (yes, that has actually happened on here before and it was debated). you can not tell a set of people that have dealt with bigotry and racism that a certain word should not offend them. and obviously, this judgement against the OP was based on context and he was not using the word to mean "happy"... i am sorry, but the bigotry guidelines were worked on for quite some time by the community and the mods and they actually helped to make the forums/chat a little more civilized. i myself don't find the word in question offensive, but i know many who do and understand that within a public forum, erring on the side of caution is just a great idea for all involved.. i don't think the need/desire of ONE user to use a word he personally does not deem bigoted or offensive is going to outweigh/overturn the bigotry guidelines...-Jésus noir
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
makes it ever so much more erotically thrilling"
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby Lord Arioch on Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:41 am

one question if the rules stand as they are... would it be considered a banning offence saying i am g&y? are all references to the word and its use banned? That feels a bit well strange... the drawback to easing up the rules is that it would take up more time for mods to read stuff and see context and juding that which i think is the only reason not to change it... they are over worked and unappriceatied as it is.

BUT i dont see a problem using any word in a context that is non bigatry and non offensive... say u discuss rabbit brreding, using the F word would speed things up, and seriously no one can accuse rabbits for being ofensive? :mrgreen:

this is ultimaly a mod / owner decision and i for one will adhere to their decision. BUT i would like it explained, maybee in the rules in the upper right corner what words are banned and WHY!

Postby JamesKer1 on Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:44 am

Lord Arioch wrote:one question if the rules stand as they are... would it be considered a banning offence saying i am g&y?

This is allowed.

As for the rabbits, I'm not 100% sure.
Join CrossMapAHolics!

Stephan Wayne wrote:Every day is Fool's Day on CC.

A new era of monthly challenges has begun...
Private JamesKer1

Postby owenshooter on Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:50 am

blakebowling wrote:I've made a post to TeamCC letting them know that using the word gay alone should not be considered offensive or derogatory. Showing prejudice against homosexuals is still against our bigotry guidelines.

horrible decision... you should talk to king A about this... you are heading down a slippery slope... horrible decision... you can not determine when a slur is and isn't acceptable... next, because the N word has been appropriated by white kids in the suburbs, we will be allowed to use it in certain context... it just does not work.... you can not use a word that is a clear slur in certain context and not in others... the word should be banned as it is now or you should scrap the bigotry guidelines... this makes no sense... you obviously made this decision on your own...-Jésus noir
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby Lord Arioch on Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:58 am

Of course u can determine that! but it will take to much time i think... thats the main reason i think the rules will not change.

Postby blakebowling on Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:25 pm

owenshooter wrote:
blakebowling wrote:I've made a post to TeamCC letting them know that using the word gay alone should not be considered offensive or derogatory. Showing prejudice against homosexuals is still against our bigotry guidelines.

horrible decision... you should talk to king A about this... you are heading down a slippery slope... horrible decision... you can not determine when a slur is and isn't acceptable... next, because the N word has been appropriated by white kids in the suburbs, we will be allowed to use it in certain context... it just does not work.... you can not use a word that is a clear slur in certain context and not in others... the word should be banned as it is now or you should scrap the bigotry guidelines... this makes no sense... you obviously made this decision on your own...-Jésus noir

This was an easy change because gay is not a slur.
Slurs about gay people, such as 'Faggot' are still bigoted and not allowed.
Private blakebowling

Postby owenshooter on Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:14 pm

blakebowling wrote:
owenshooter wrote:

This was an easy change because gay is not a slur.
Slurs about gay people, such as 'Faggot' are still bigoted and not allowed.

you are daft if you do not believe that gay is a slur against homosexuals. i look forward to the first homosexual member being called gay in game chat or the forums or seeing the word and reporting it... as has happened in the past... this is not a very smart decision... you and i may not find it wholly offensive, but there are several that will... good luck with this questionable move...-Jésus noir

p.s.-i trust the decision making of Lack, Twill, Andy and that great team of mods they had back then, over your simple explanation... i truly believe you are acting on your own and not at the behest of team CC... no way this goes forward...
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby owenshooter on Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:12 pm

I STAND CORRECTED!!!! GAY IS NOT BIGOTRY OR HATRED!!!

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/01/nyreg ... .html?_r=0

issue resolved... let's remove the word from that ol' dusty site bigotry guideline!!! I STAND CORRECTED!!! the black jesus does not often admit when he is wrong, but when he does, he does it the right way...-Jésus noir

"i love my dead, gay son!!"
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby haha on Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:26 pm

while i do not know the exact circumstances of the use of the word gay and don't really see how it would be used in a game log or on CC chat as anything but an insult. the word gay itself is not offensive. As a queer person I do not take offense if some one calls me gay if it is to say that i sleep with or am attracted to other men. but if someone does use the word to describe some one as weak, less then humane or deserving of abuse, I think that person most likely has some deep seed sexual repression or following specific rhetoric out of the need for to avoid oppression or condemnation and maintain ones security within this hetronormitived patriarchy
HAHA
Brigadier haha

Postby mrswdk on Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:22 pm

@owen how on earth is it offensive to say 'ma nigga'? You need to get with the times.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:44 pm

Thus it begins.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby TeeGee on Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:25 am

As this suggestion has been implemented I am locking it

If you wish to discuss the suggestion, take it to the appropriate forum ;)

Thanks
Major TeeGee
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Location: Traversing the Multiverse, looking for a Yak with 3 ears

Previous

Return to Archived Suggestions