Conquer Club

[GO] Speed Games / Varying Turn Time Limits Round Lengths

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

[GO] Speed Games / Varying Turn Time Limits Round Lengths

Postby Itrade on Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:47 pm

Mod Edit: This is a mass thread of almost every single speed game or real time thread ever created. Since it is very unlikely that every single option will be implemented into the site, they have been compiled here. Should you find yourself desiring a specific time limit, please post in this thread. It is more than likely already in here.

Keep in mind that people have lives- they simply cannot sleep, have a life, and play 3 hour turns. Once the five minute threshold is crossed, we will start running into this issue.

For simplicity's sake, suggestions similar to the below post have also been merged.

Official Suggestion
Concise description:
  • Allow users to manually select a wide range of round limits.

Specifics/Details:
  • Include 7, 10, 15, 20, and 30 minute real-time/speed game options
  • Include some standard of customization (drop down menu or fill in box) in the overall range of 1 min to 24 hours

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
  • Increase user activity
  • Time limits can be custom made to fit your needs
  • Other unspecified benefits

If you find any other threads that need to be merged, please inform a Suggestions Moderator -JK

show
Last edited by Itrade on Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sergeant Itrade

Postby molestar on Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:53 pm

I like the time limit option
Sergeant 1st Class molestar

Postby Itrade on Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:37 pm

Just bumping this to say what's good about skipping turns.

Say you've got a field trip or you're going to visit relatives or something. You'll miss a turn or two so you should be able to say that if your turn comes between a certain period of time, the game should skip it. This is useful for me because I don't play on Sundays (That's also why I suggested double turns) and I'm sure it'll be useful to a lot of other people who're just gone for a brief period of time.
Image My set is a bone coat-of-arms and chandelier! How cool is that?
Sergeant Itrade

Re: Turn Time/Skip Turn/Unjoined game deletion

Postby lackattack on Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:30 pm

Itrade wrote:Perhaps you should be able to specify how long a turn will be in the start of a game, anywhere between a week to a few hours.

Cool idea. Why not even 5 minute rounds? It would make things really flexible. Then again, I don't want to compete with realtime games like Risk II. I'm really trying to build a community of people who visit Conquer Club daily. I have to think about the implications...

Itrade wrote:Perhaps we could have the option to skip a turn and save the troops for later?...Or perhaps you could say "Skip all turns for the next X days/turns" if you're going on a holiday or something, so you don't bog down other players.

An "on vacation" switch and a "bank my armies" button, eh? That's something to think about too...

Itrade wrote:Finally, unjoined games. Is there a period of time whereafter they're deleted?

I don't have a problem with unjoined games. They'll eventually get filled, and because there is no activity they take up minimal space.
Sergeant lackattack

Re: Turn Time/Skip Turn/Unjoined game deletion

Postby Itrade on Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:03 am

Okay, slightly off-topic but I just have to say how awesome you are, Lack. The site is unbelievably good and it's even more awesome to see that you're considering improving it and it's like one of the most awesome things ever when you do improve it. I'm so glad I found this site early in its life and I hope that it'll stay this way 'till forever. Now onto the comments.

lackattack wrote:
Itrade wrote:Perhaps you should be able to specify how long a turn will be in the start of a game, anywhere between a week to a few hours.

Cool idea. Why not even 5 minute rounds? It would make things really flexible. Then again, I don't want to compete with realtime games like Risk II. I'm really trying to build a community of people who visit Conquer Club daily. I have to think about the implications...

Absolutely no problem with it. Since these are options during game creation, if people don't like it, they can just not join and make their own game with their own rules that people will evantually fill.

lackattack wrote:
Itrade wrote:Perhaps we could have the option to skip a turn and save the troops for later?...Or perhaps you could say "Skip all turns for the next X days/turns" if you're going on a holiday or something, so you don't bog down other players.

An "on vacation" switch and a "bank my armies" button, eh? That's something to think about too...

Yes exactly what I'm saying. With double turns you could pull off a master strategy by banking one turn, then playing the armies from that turn, then playing your armies from your double turn.

lackattack wrote:
Itrade wrote:Finally, unjoined games. Is there a period of time whereafter they're deleted?

I don't have a problem with unjoined games. They'll eventually get filled, and because there is no activity they take up minimal space.

I see. But they do steal game numbers. Game number 150 with exotic options could start after game 300 with normal options. Not really a major thing, more of a pet peeve. Perhaps games should be arranged by date started, or perhaps they should be numbered upon launch.
Sergeant Itrade

Speed Games / Varying Turn Time Limits / Round Lengths

Postby Twill on Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:52 pm

Mod Edit: This is a mass thread of almost every single speed game or real time thread ever created. Since it is very unlikely that every single option will be implemented into the site, they have been compiled here. Should you find yourself desiring a specific time limit, please post in this thread. It is more than likely already in here.

Keep in mind that people have lives- they simply cannot sleep, have a life, and play 3 hour turns. Once the five minute threshold is crossed, we will start running into this issue.

For simplicity's sake, suggestions similar to the below post have also been merged.

Official Suggestion
Concise description:
  • Allow users to manually select a wide range of round limits.

Specifics/Details:
  • Include 7, 10, 15, 20, and 30 minute real-time/speed game options
  • Include some standard of customization (drop down menu or fill in box) in the overall range of 1 min to 24 hours

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
  • Increase user activity
  • Time limits can be custom made to fit your needs
  • Other unspecified benefits

If you find any other threads that need to be merged, please inform a Suggestions Moderator -JK

show
Corporal 1st Class Twill

Postby Itrade on Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:18 pm

How about games without times between rounds? Basically it's a sequential game and the next turn starts after the other guy's done his. This way you can play with your friends and stuff in one go if you're all online at the same time.
Sergeant Itrade

Postby Twill on Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:27 pm

Technically that would be an infinite time frame - in a sequential game every person has as long as they need to play their round.
In a non-sequential game, a 0 time limit would mean that everyone can go all the time, essentially ignoring the other players' activity.

It would be nice to think that people would take their turns, but even with friends that doesn't always happen. And with strangers it seems to happen more often.

A variable time limit which can be set at the beginning of a game in the same way other options can be would allow strangers to set the pace of the game and join games that would have the play style they enjoy...

This also ties in with the discussion on the max number of concurrent games. Many people want to have a higher limit because they want to be able to play when they log in...well, if you have a low time limit game, then you would need to sign up for fewer games to have the same amount of play time.

Again, just a thought
Corporal 1st Class Twill

Postby lackattack on Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:42 am

Thanks for the nice complements, Itrade :D
Sergeant lackattack

Postby Itrade on Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:03 am

lackattack wrote:Thanks for the nice complements, Itrade :D

Ooh having the game updated is all the thanks one needs. They weren't compliments so much as nice truths said in a nice way. Compliments are like matters of taste or something.

Also, I challenge anyone to say nice truths in a mean way. It's hard.

But yeah those were my thoughts at the time because there was a suggestions forum in RuneScape Community but they never ever read it and update RuneScape with the suggestions.

Erm, yeah. I don't think there's anything left to say here. :/
Sergeant Itrade

Variable Round Length

Postby Dragonslayer on Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:02 pm

I'm also very supportive of the idea of being able to have rounds last less than 24 hours. I'm finding that some games take 4-5 days to clear out the guys who really just aren't playing, then suddenly leaving those of us really into it playing speed rounds.
Private Dragonslayer

Postby lackattack on Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:20 pm

I hear you guys. I'm going to have variable round times, including 5 minute Speed Risk. Will be available sometime in February.
Sergeant lackattack

Postby MikeSuke on Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:16 am

Awesome, I am really looking forward to 5 min rounds, right now I have games open, and they are all taking forever, because its like 1 move a day.
Sergeant 1st Class MikeSuke

Time Limit for Turns

Postby rip_tide on Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:01 pm

There should defintely be a time limit option added to the create a game menu. It would be so much better if you where able to choose a maximum time a person has for his turn. 24 hrs is cool and all but those of us who want to actually play a few games quickly every now and then can't. You start a game and then fools dissapear for hours. It's almost ridiculous.

How about some time limits like 5, 10 15 etc. mins to choose along with the other options. This would allow users to play more games and not drag out for months.

Anyone else? :?:
Cadet rip_tide

Postby dagreatbroomhead on Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:48 pm

yes i agree, but this has been brought up in other threads, try looking around first. and i do agree with you, but i think the whole point of this game was to check it once a day, not every 20 seconds.
Sergeant 1st Class dagreatbroomhead

time limit

Postby rip_tide on Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:21 am

I just want to be able to sit down and play a game. Not check it once a day for a week. By then you hardly even remebered what has happened.

It would definately be nice to start and finish a game in an hour or two.
Cadet rip_tide

Postby Nobunaga on Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:20 am

... maybe as part of the new "Premium Member" package? :P
Sergeant 1st Class Nobunaga

Postby rip_tide on Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:11 pm

I can't wait. I posted a time limit topic without really checking the other threads, which I guess was prett lazy of me, but it gets so frustrating I just had to see if others felt the same. It's cool that there wil lbe time limits in the near future.

all in all you guys are awesome and have done a great job with this site. Keeping something this simple, but still so much fun is a hard task. Keep up the good work.
Cadet rip_tide

Postby lackattack on Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:48 pm

dagreatbroomhead wrote:but i think the whole point of this game was to check it once a day, not every 20 seconds.

... maybe as part of the new "Premium Member" package?

these two quotes perfectly reflect my position on this topic :)
Sergeant lackattack

Postby thegrimsleeper on Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:27 am

lackattack wrote:
dagreatbroomhead wrote:but i think the whole point of this game was to check it once a day, not every 20 seconds.

... maybe as part of the new "Premium Member" package?

these two quotes perfectly reflect my position on this topic :)

I would definitely pay to see that. Just my $0.02.
Sergeant 1st Class thegrimsleeper

Postby thegrimsleeper on Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:19 am

I've never been so excited to see a February in my whole life.
Sergeant 1st Class thegrimsleeper

Showing whose online or playing "speed games" [Done]

Postby monorojo13 on Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:14 pm

I like to play, but not at so long an increment. If we could see whose online and then decide. I am up and playing when people from Europe are sleeping, so I join a game, that person has just gone to bed, well then we have like 1 move a day.

Just a way, so like now I have 5 games I quit one, becase the other 2 are never on, and I can't play anymore until one game ends, I like to join a game and play and play till its over, maybe something can be done to address that and maybe allow for "speed games" of some sort. Just a thought.

And Thank you very much for this site, I love this game, and where I live haven't found a group of people that like to play yet. This site is wonderful.
Private 1st Class monorojo13

Postby Shorty on Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:27 pm

I agree. It takes way too long for a game to go on. If the person is offline, you should be able to skip them.
Private 1st Class Shorty

Postby ZawBanjito on Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:49 am

"Speed games" is a venerable topic with unanimous support. Lackattack has stated that such a feature will be introduced in the near future.

As for some sort of "online now" or "last online at..." indicator, I think this is a pretty good idea. When you go to join a game you could click on the people already in one to see if they've been online around the same time as you.
Colonel ZawBanjito

Postby lackattack on Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:28 am

A little trick to see who is online is to go to the forum and look at the names on the bottom.
Sergeant lackattack

Next

Return to Archived Suggestions