Conquer Club

Adjacent Attacks

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

What do you think about Adjacent Attacks?

I would support this being an option
65%
I would oppose this being an option
26%
I don't care/I don't know yet
10%

Total votes : 454

Re: Adjacent Attacks

Postby OliverFA on Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:31 am

lancehoch wrote:
OliverFA wrote:
n00blet wrote:You're only documenting every turn so everyone can see you trash us. Shame on you :evil:

:lol:

Don't worry, I will document the World 2.1 game too, so everybody can see how you killed me very early in the game by destroying my bonus in La Plata ;-)

Umm...that was actually my doing.

Not exctly. He did it first. I rebuilt my bonus... and then you broke it for the second time. Are you all against me? :(
Private OliverFA

Postby Ditocoaf on Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:40 pm

I'd love to try a Classic w/ flat rate, myself.

>----------✪ Try to take down the champion in the continuous IPW/GIL tournament! ✪----------<

Note to self: THINK LESS LIVE MORE
Private 1st Class Ditocoaf

Postby n00blet on Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:32 pm

Well, with so much interest, I decided to make yet another test game. Pm me for the password if you would like to play.

If you haven't played in any of them yet, I'll give you priority to play in this one. If you have played in the others, but want to play some more, feel free to shoot me a pm too ;)

Game 3502830
Settings are:
Classic Art
8 players
Standard
Sequential
Flat Rate
Adjacent Forts
No Fog
Casual
Captain n00blet

Postby OliverFA on Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:01 pm

I joined, but if there if someone else wants to play and there is no room y will drop to cede my place to someone else
Private OliverFA

Postby OliverFA on Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:57 pm

Look at Kenya in the Horn. Only one army despite cyan having the full Magreb. Also, if green wants the Indian subcontinent he will have to commit some armies to Sri Lanka who will not be able to go back to the border for long time. The same goes for US. It has only 1 and 2 armies, but green wont' be able to conquer it in one turn despite having lots of reinforcements from Chine and Australia.

Private OliverFA

Postby yeti_c on Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:53 pm

I've joined - looking forward to playing - Hope we can recruit more people soon.

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby Ditocoaf on Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:48 pm

OliverFA wrote:Also, if green wants the Indian subcontinent he will have to commit some armies to Sri Lanka who will not be able to go back to the border for long time.

Well, that particular thing is due to the adjacent reinforcements, not due to the attack style...

>----------✪ Try to take down the champion in the continuous IPW/GIL tournament! ✪----------<

Postby Ditocoaf on Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:15 pm

I posted game 3502830 in one of my clan forums; it should fill up soon enough.

Postby Charles_IV on Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:55 pm

I think the idea is good. I have a variant of the idea under the topic "Restricted Reinforcement". People have expressed various concerns which I don't see, and I think if this option or mine is introduced it will be easy to see that these games will have their own unique tactical considerations, based upon much more realistic force movement options. Deployment and maneuver of forces is so critical in strategic planning, it's a shame that the game system we use utilizes an impossible movement system that no real army can duplicate. No German Blitzkreig, no American "shock and awe" ever utilized movement where embattled forces could move farther and faster than non-embattled forces.

Charles_IV
Corporal Charles_IV

Postby sully800 on Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:13 pm

The adjacent attacks escalating game is one of the most interesting I have ever played. I thought it might be boring since it is so easy to protect people. Over protection could just lead to a stale mate and a build game with escalating cards.

The great part is that since protecting people is extremely easy, you don't even need to block. A person can protect themselves by attacking a single territory to escape their foe. And you can even let someone else take a player out, because they won't be able to continue and conquer the whole map on one turn. It's been a great setting so far.
Major sully800

Postby yeti_c on Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:24 am

Boo - our game ran out of time - Nooblet - can you create another and send me the details?

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby Ditocoaf on Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:39 pm

yeti_c wrote:Boo - our game ran out of time - Nooblet - can you create another and send me the details?

C.

Do it with 6 players... because I only managed to recruit two more.

Postby Ditocoaf on Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:18 pm

The escalating game has actually turned out very well so far... at first, it seemed like we'd never kill off all the armies we were getting from spoils, but now we've actually eliminated 3, almost 4 of the players, and the final showdown should be fairly dynamic. This is a totally valid and fun play setting... definitely not a weakness, like I thought it might be.

Postby n00blet on Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:28 pm

Due to popular demand, another AA game is now open for your gaming pleasure :)

Game 3613149

The password is the same as with previous ones, for those who have played before. If you're new to Adjacent Attacks and would like to join, shoot me a pm and I'll give the pass to you.

If this game fills up before everyone gets a chance, I'll make another one, never fear :D
Captain n00blet

Postby porkenbeans on Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:05 pm

Ditocoaf wrote:This seems like a good option... I would definitely try a few games, and if there's a good possibility I'd like it and keep playing. It'd be a much slower game, but people already play no-cards adjacent, so that's not really an issue. It would require radically different strategies, which is why I like it so much. You could watch a group of armies advancing turn by turn. You couldn't take an area just by amassing one huge centralized force, instead it would be smarter to attack on all sides, to avoid counter-attacks... it might be more realistic in that respect.

A very emphatic yes to this idea.
YES, for all the reasons you stated. Especialy the part about it being more realistic. More like the kind of ''RISK'' they play in the war rooms. A slow motion race, where you can see everything coming. Now if you could manage a way to eliminate the dice from the game, you would have a pure form of strategic conquest. akin to ''chess''. I suppose it could be done with a mathmaticle formala that would simply take in to account the number of forces in the fight. You can even have stronger armies than others. because of various reasons such as troop freshness, or even where they are from. Some armies are just better fighters. All in all, ...it is a wonderful idea. =D> =D> =D>
Last edited by porkenbeans on Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby porkenbeans on Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:17 pm

FabledIntegral wrote:One person could be a dick and run though and waste so many turns before elimination. It would be absolutely terrible for escalating games. It would result in massive stalemates where strategy does NOT prevail simply because you can never benefit from killing someone, and by the time on the OFFCHANCE you're able to strategically block off someone, by the time you're ready to kill the person they will have taken enough turns to cash.

The only thing this would accomplish would be massive stalemates in escalating games if played on the classic map... you'd need large maps such as World 2.1 to make it work... where people ditch many of their other territories in order to claim a bonus.
The massive stale mates you speak of, is already the prob. you have with ''esc.'' games. The better games I think, are the no cards. The more luck you can remove from the game, the better. This option takes ''adjasent'' to the extreme. I would try it out.
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby Ditocoaf on Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:33 pm

n00blet wrote:Due to popular demand, another AA game is now open for your gaming pleasure :)

Game 3613149

The password is the same as with previous ones, for those who have played before. If you're new to Adjacent Attacks and would like to join, shoot me a pm and I'll give the pass to you.

If this game fills up before everyone gets a chance, I'll make another one, never fear :D

I DEMAND A FLAT-RATE GAME!

no, really. We were going to do that one, but it never happened, and now I need another chance. please?

Postby porkenbeans on Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:43 pm

lancehoch wrote:Apparently I am a douche as well. I wanted to have one more thing specified. If I attack, but do not conquer country B from country A, can I still attack from country A to country C? Also, this would needlessly extend games. I just finished a game on Doodle in two turns by running through five countries of one player and six of another. If this were implemented I would have needed more than 11 turns to make the same move. Extending a Doodle game 9 extra turns seems pointless. What would happen if this were on World 2.1?
Im confused. I thought he said the first time, newly aquired countries cant attack until the next turn. That makes sense. Like an extreme form of ''adj.'' It will make, for new strats. to ponder. Sounds cool to me.
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby porkenbeans on Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:51 pm

Ditocoaf wrote:Woah... I just realized that I've completely misread this idea. I thought that it meant that you couldn't attack with a territ you just conquered... but upon re-reading, it seems that all this would do is make it so no one country can attack more than once. Which is kind of pointless, because you don't often attack multiple targets from the same country in any given turn -- you zig-zag around advancing armies to the territ you just conquered.

so my "yes" vote changes to a "no", as this would not change the game very much at all.
You dont play adj. much, do you. The strat. you mention works well with unlimited forts. which is what I normaly like to play. Adj. is part of the original hasbro rules. And plays a bit diff. Thats not bad, just diff.
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby n00blet on Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:58 pm

Ditocoaf wrote:
n00blet wrote:Due to popular demand, another AA game is now open for your gaming pleasure :)

Game 3613149

no, really. We were going to do that one, but it never happened, and now I need another chance. please?

Oh, whoops. Lol I couldn't remember the exact settings of the one that was dropped. So here's a flat-rate game. Invite all you frirends! :)

Game 3613839
Captain n00blet

Postby n00blet on Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:00 am

porkenbeans wrote:
Ditocoaf wrote:This seems like a good option... I would definitely try a few games, and if there's a good possibility I'd like it and keep playing. It'd be a much slower game, but people already play no-cards adjacent, so that's not really an issue. It would require radically different strategies, which is why I like it so much. You could watch a group of armies advancing turn by turn. You couldn't take an area just by amassing one huge centralized force, instead it would be smarter to attack on all sides, to avoid counter-attacks... it might be more realistic in that respect.

A very emphatic yes to this idea.
YES, for all the reasons you stated. Especialy the part about it being more realistic. More like the kind of ''RISK'' they play in the war rooms. A slow motion race, where you can see everything coming. Now if you could manage a way to eliminate the dice from the game, you would have a pure form of strategic conquest. akin to ''chess''. I suppose it could be done with a mathmaticle formala that would simply take in to account the number of forces in the fight. You can even have stronger armies than others. because of various reasons such as troop freshness, or even where the are from. Some armies are just better fighters. All in all, ...it is a wonderful idea. =D> =D> =D>

If you want to try it out, feel free to pm me. I want as many people as possible to be able to test it out :)
Captain n00blet

Postby Ditocoaf on Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:26 am

porkenbeans wrote:
Ditocoaf wrote:Woah... I just realized that I've completely misread this idea. I thought that it meant that you couldn't attack with a territ you just conquered... but upon re-reading, it seems that all this would do is make it so no one country can attack more than once. Which is kind of pointless, because you don't often attack multiple targets from the same country in any given turn -- you zig-zag around advancing armies to the territ you just conquered.

so my "yes" vote changes to a "no", as this would not change the game very much at all.
You dont play adj. much, do you. The strat. you mention works well with unlimited forts. which is what I normaly like to play. Adj. is part of the original hasbro rules. And plays a bit diff. Thats not bad, just diff.

FYI, the post you're quoting here was written before n00blet changed his proposal slightly.

n00blet wrote:
Ditocoaf wrote:

Game 3613149

Oh, whoops. Lol I couldn't remember the exact settings of the one that was dropped. So here's a flat-rate game. Invite all you frirends! :)

Game 3613839

Postby yeti_c on Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:08 am

I am in - and the game is live - awesome.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby yeti_c on Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:09 am

Game 3613149

I've joined this one too - I'm assuming it will also be an AA game?

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby sully800 on Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:59 am

The escalating game is about to finish up, and I loved those settings (not just because I'm going to win :lol: )

It's kind of like reverse fog of war....you get a lot MORE info than normal. You get to see your opponents maneuvering about for position, which is normally not possible in escalating because you have to protect people so much. You also get to make large attacks without fear of hanging someone so you can use strategies that never get employed in regular escalating.

The whole thing is slower paced- watching troops advance, waiting for the right time to strike, etc. And it doesn't seem to be as dependent on luck because having a set with 3 cards or missing a set with 4 cards is not likely to change the game. Cash in order no longer matters, board position and strategy become much more dominant.

I would like to see a high ranking adjacent attack game just to make sure it doesn't turn into a protective stale mate.
Major sully800

PreviousNext

Return to Archived Suggestions