Conquer Club

>> Descriptive tags for ratings

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

Re: >> Descriptive tags for ratings

Postby Gold Knight on Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:29 pm

It might even be easier if CC made a list of comments, basically covering all the different aspects of a game, and make them similar to a link: select the links that are associated with that player, and it could tally how many people said a certain thing about this player, instead of having several differently worded comments that mean the same thing. I dont know yet exactly about my idea, still might be a little bit too complicated, but i feel that if we are abandoning individual feedback (which I prefer), that everything should be uniform to make things easier...
xxtig12683xx wrote:yea, my fav part was being in the sewer riding a surfboard and wacking these alien creatures.

shit was badass
Captain Gold Knight

Postby super Mario 009 on Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:42 pm

how about 'coward' if they attacks and/or eliminates the weakest player in a game, and 'fighter' if they go for the strongest player in a game.
Sergeant super Mario 009

Postby gloryordeath on Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:46 pm

super Mario 009 wrote:how about 'coward' if they attacks and/or eliminates the weakest player in a game, and 'fighter' if they go for the strongest player in a game.

how about "smart" and "dumb" if you want to put it that way... :roll:
The Society of Cooks Train a cook today battle an officer tomorrow! Making good players great! viewtopic.php?f=341&t=74468

xiGAMES Member

Lieutenant gloryordeath

Postby super Mario 009 on Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:57 pm

gloryordeath wrote:
super Mario 009 wrote:how about 'coward' if they attacks and/or eliminates the weakest player in a game, and 'fighter' if they go for the strongest player in a game.

how about "smart" and "dumb" if you want to put it that way... :roll:

not really, if someone thinks they can attack the strongest player and break his bonuses and does it and keeps fighting and eventually wins then he would be fighter, but if he thinks he cant win so retreats and lets the other guy attack him and eliminate him then he would be coward.
Sergeant super Mario 009

Postby gloryordeath on Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:15 pm

bonuses don't always make a game smart placement and efficient troop use can out way trying to hold and keep bonuses.
The Society of Cooks Train a cook today battle an officer tomorrow! Making good players great! viewtopic.php?f=341&t=74468

xiGAMES Member

Lieutenant gloryordeath

Postby super Mario 009 on Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:38 pm

i know, but let's say he gets lucky and beats the stronger guy.
Sergeant super Mario 009

Postby gloryordeath on Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:50 pm

so now we rate people for skill on how lucky they are? are you high? you jump on the mushrooms Mario you don't eat them.

xiGAMES Member

Lieutenant gloryordeath

Postby stahrgazer on Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:32 am

Stars not being used consistently isn't going to be fixable; not really. Some believe 3 is a great ranking if there was no problem, others believe 5 is what "no problem" should be given.

If a player chooses to rank 1 of the sections but not rate the others, the system reads that as ranking 1 star on the unranked part.

An Example:
Some players believe attendance is "poor" if a player simply couldn't be around at one of the other player's convenience, and rank that way even if the player giving the poor rating is the cause for a game going overlong beyond rt. (HUH??? What she say?) Player A mistakes his allotted time to play and departs a "real time" game 15 minutes after it began, then returns 24 hours later insisting it's now time for a realtime game. Player B cannot do realtime the second night. Player A rates B poorly and sticks to that ranking, refusing to accept that it is unreasonable.

An Example:
Player A and B grapple over a continent. Meanwhile, Player A attacks player C once, player B attacks player C once, but Player A gripes (wrongly) that Player B is not attacking Player C at all. Player A ranks Player B wrongly and refuses to correct it.

The point: CC cannot correct player idiocy and because it cannot, ranking is ineffective except at extremes (a 1 or 2 star player would be obvously bad, a 4 or 5 star player is obviously not bad but in between you cannot really tell).

Feel need to comment about a poor ranking? Suggestion: Write on your wall.

CC programmers, you did a good job. Perhaps only keep "x number" of rankings in the average?
Sergeant stahrgazer

Postby super Mario 009 on Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:48 pm

gloryordeath wrote:so now we rate people for skill on how lucky they are? are you high? you jump on the mushrooms Mario you don't eat them.

then how do you think i get bigger and gain lives. :roll:

ok fine if you dont like those then how about 'logical' and 'illogical', and no they dont replace fighter and coward.

also how about ones that say if the player didnt get much attention and didnt get attacked much, and one for the opposite, saying the player got teamed-up by many opponents, and not necessarily because he was the strongest player. i dont know how to define those in one word.
maybe 'neutral country' and 'evil emperor' ? :) :| :-s ](*,)
Sergeant super Mario 009

Postby Lexitonia5 on Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:49 pm

That would be and excellent addition to the rating systme.
Sergeant 1st Class Lexitonia5

Postby PLAYER57832 on Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:50 pm

If tags are used, they need to be objective.

"suicided" is objective "stupid" is not really.

I think we have to be careful, though about tagging styles of play. I hate to say this but it really does seem( ... from reading old feedback, looking at the games, reading various complaints, suggestions and just commentaries within the forums... and looking at their games) that the highest majority of folks who complain about "skill" are really the ones with poor attitudes, the ones who themselves don't really have the best strategies.

They are the folks who want to blame others rather than improving their own play.

Everyone has a grouchy day now and then, but .... if you are having a problem with constantly having to "tolerate" poor players ... YOU might well be the one that is being "tolerated".

The exceptions are few...
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby KidWhisky on Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:31 pm

It seems to me that this all getting really complicated. First we decide how many stars to give then we leave some tags that may or may not accuratly describe how we felt they played and then we need to have a system were we can respond to these tags. It would make a lot more sence to me just to bring back the old system. That we can say what we like in our own words. The easyest way to deal with complaints about inapropriate feedback is to leave it up to the players to work out. Plus its pretty easy to see when a player has left inapropirate or unfair feedback based on the reply and on the game chat ect. if you care enough to look for it. I guess I just really like the old system, it seemed a lot more personal and gave the site a better feeling of comunity.
Baby, When You Look This Good, You Don't Have To KNOW Anything.

"You? Whats To Know? Your A Punk, A Rank Amature...Still If It's A Whoopin Your A Wantin!
Captain KidWhisky

Postby hulmey on Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:34 pm

KidWhisky wrote:It seems to me that this all getting really complicated. First we decide how many stars to give then we leave some tags that may or may not accuratly describe how we felt they played and then we need to have a system were we can respond to these tags. It would make a lot more sence to me just to bring back the old system. That we can say what we like in our own words. The easyest way to deal with complaints about inapropriate feedback is to leave it up to the players to work out. Plus its pretty easy to see when a player has left inapropirate or unfair feedback based on the reply and on the game chat ect. if you care enough to look for it. I guess I just really like the old system, it seemed a lot more personal and gave the site a better feeling of comunity.

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
[img]http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/9761/41922610151374166770386.jpg[/mg]
Lieutenant hulmey

Postby william18 on Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:49 pm

This would be a great asset. Most people in CC rate the players honestly and don't have any reason to be jerks about it, unless ofcourse they're idiots. Plus a tag explains where the person went wrong so they don't start hunting you down in what they thought was an unfair rating.
Sergeant 1st Class william18

Postby AndyDufresne on Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:06 pm

william18 wrote:This would be a great asset. Most people in CC rate the players honestly and don't have any reason to be jerks about it, unless ofcourse they're idiots. Plus a tag explains where the person went wrong so they don't start hunting you down in what they thought was an unfair rating.

And if you couple tags with the user you're rating to "write responses" on their page, if they feel someone has rated them incorrectly or inaccurately, they can very much defend themselves in a few words.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby MOBAJOBG on Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:58 am

^a tiny correction ...they can very much defend themselves in a few sentences is preferable. :)
Major MOBAJOBG

Postby elmerfudd on Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:26 pm

Well I guess im a coward because I will attack and eliminate weaker player. That my strategies and alot of player dont like it, but I win games that way. I have got bad rating, but i got the points too 8-)
Corporal 1st Class elmerfudd

Postby hanamog on Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:20 pm

Screw all this bullshit and go back to the old system and do what you are supposed to do as webmasters, moderate the disputes. I agree with others, I would be willing to kick in a few bucks more so you can hire someone to do that. I liked the old system, by reading the comments (of both parties) you could figure out if the rating was justified or just bull.
Private hanamog

Postby Hrvat on Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:20 pm

NO.
Rating system is NO Good.
Tag or no tags.

I wish I did not pay for another 12 months premium.

NO to TAGS.

-------------------

Hey, lack, how are you going to get a fair opinion when your ''mod's'' are removing posts with opposing view.

Hey Cicero, are you going to remove this post as well???

Do not want new Tags.
Do not want Stars.

-
I'll never pay for another Premium on ConquerClub.
Lieutenant Hrvat

Postby badmoon on Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:13 pm

More definitive descriptions sounds like a good idea. A subset of descriptors as mentioned before might work.
Private 1st Class badmoon

Postby lackattack on Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:13 pm

Hrvat wrote:NO.
Rating system is NO Good.
Tag or no tags.

I wish I did not pay for another 12 months premium.

NO to TAGS.

-------------------

Hey, lack, how are you going to get a fair opinion when your ''mod's'' are removing posts with opposing view.

Hey Cicero, are you going to remove this post as well???

Do not want new Tags.
Do not want Stars.

Hrvat, you have already voiced your opinion about ratings many times. The Suggestions & Bug Reports is reserved for constructive dialogue and this topic is reserved for discussing a tags feature. It is not the place to rant about ratings - we have plenty of topics where you can legitimately rant about ratings but doing so here is abusive.
Sergeant lackattack

Postby Wellzee44 on Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:38 pm

[modedit][/modedit]
Last edited by cicero on Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic trolling
Lieutenant Wellzee44

Postby cicero on Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:26 pm

What about descriptive tags as ratings ?

So, in principle, instead of ticking 4 boxes for ratings and however many boxes for the descriptive tags why not just tick however many boxes for descriptive tags? And, inherent in those tags are the ratings?

Just for illustration consider this as an example for the attitude rating ...
(I know the tags aren't perfect/complete )

[ ] really friendly
[ ] coached me
[ ] ?????

[ ] friendly
[ ] polite
[ ] fun

[ ] said nothing
[ ] ?????
[ ] ?????

[ ] attempt to order me about
[ ] said nothing
[ ] ?????

[ ] rude
[ ] abusive
[ ] ?????

First set of tags is "5 stars", second set "4 stars" etc ...
I can choose tick three.
There could be more than three at each star level ...
Note the some duplication of tag descriptions is allowed so that if, to you "said nothing" is "3 star" behaviour - fine. Or if, to you, "said nothing" is "2 star" behaviour - again fine.

Thoughts ? Extensions ? Variations ?
FREE M-E-Mbership and simple rules. Conquer Club - it's not complicated.

random me statistic @ 13 December 2008 - 1336 posts : 232nd most public posts (not counting Tower of Babble) of all time.
Sergeant cicero

Location: with the infected neutrals ... handing out maps to help them find their way to CC

Postby KLOBBER on Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:05 pm

Interesting idea, Cicero, but it is unnecessary; the ratings system is perfect as it is now.
KLOBBER's Highest Score: 3642 (General)

KLOBBER's Highest place on scoreboard: #15 (fifteen) out of 20,000+ players.

For info about winning, click here.
Private 1st Class KLOBBER

Postby lexie3000 on Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:24 pm

the rating system still doesn't rate much for me. if you're going to refine it further it would be good to see some options that more acurately describe a player's skill level. the only useful indicators of this at the moment are the ratings left by veteran higher ranked players. but even then it varies widely as to how players rate one another. so none of it really means much to me. keep trying though
Colonel lexie3000

PreviousNext

Return to Archived Suggestions