Conquer Club

Cheat & Abuse complaint approval

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

Cheat & Abuse complaint approval

Postby jefjef on Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:51 pm

Hey C C how about a system be in place that requires a MODS approval before a complaint is posted. It will reduce the # of frivolous & false complaints & reduce the spam that I & others feel necessary to post in re of them. Just a quick once over by a mod & then permission to post. I realize E-Tickets are an option for a complaint but they don't seem to be the preferred path chosen by most complainers. This in itself would eliminate a lot of the rating abuse - chat language and other misc "I'm mad" complaints.

List of Options:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=92600&start=15#p2128256
This post was made by jefjef who should be on your ignore list.
drunkmonkey wrote:I'm filing a C&A report right now. Its nice because they have a drop-down for "jefjef".
Colonel jefjef

Re: Cheat & Abuse complaint approval

Postby targetman377 on Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:54 pm

i think this will should be moved to suggestions and bugs :mrgreen:
VOTE AUTO/TARGET in 12
Sergeant targetman377

Postby redhawk92 on Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:55 pm

it is a good idea it needs to be in sugs and bugs though :D
Captain redhawk92

Postby clapper011 on Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:02 pm

indeed.. moved on over ;)
Corporal 1st Class clapper011

Postby oVo on Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:05 pm

Doesn't the Mod Squad have enough on it's plate already? Maybe a point deduction for totally frivolous bs posted in C&A would slow down the pointless fingerpointing that lands in there and make people pause to consider the validity of accusations.
Major oVo

Postby hecter on Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:54 pm

oVo wrote:Doesn't the Mod Squad have enough on it's plate already? Maybe a point deduction for totally frivolous bs posted in C&A would slow down the pointless fingerpointing that lands in there and make people pause to consider the validity of accusations.

Wouldn't that discourage any posting at all? Thus reducing the number of cheaters caught and whatnot.
In heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine... You got your things, and I've got mine.
Private 1st Class hecter

Postby Strife on Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:08 pm

How about some sort of mild punishment for excessive frivolous accusations?
Corporal Strife

Postby oVo on Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:14 pm

hecter wrote:Wouldn't that discourage any posting at all? Thus reducing the number of cheaters caught and whatnot.

We're talking frivolous accusations and not reports on suspicious characters or behavior.
Major oVo

Postby MrMoody on Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:07 pm

jefjef wrote:It will reduce the spam that I & others feel necessary to post in re of them.

You just said it will improve CC because you lack self control?
jefjef wrote:I realize E-Tickets are an option for a complaint but they don't seem to be the preferred path chosen by most complainers.

Can you really know how many E-Tickets the hunters/mods deal with daily? Given the small % of members who read the forum I find it hard to believe that E-Tickets would not be preferred by most members.
Major MrMoody

Postby jbrettlip on Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:15 pm

What if the whole system was changed? Make a tab that says "report a user". Then that page would pull up a form (like the report a post form) with drop down menus. That would eliminate posts that do not follow formats, are hard to read, or are just complete nonsense.
nothing wrong with a little bit of man on dog love.
Lieutenant jbrettlip

Postby Kotaro on Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:20 pm

quote="jefjef"]It will reduce the spam that I & others feel necessary to post in re of them.[/quote]

Maybe they should just not let you post. It would reduce the spam accross the board
Lakad Matataaag!
Normalin, normalin.

TheJonah wrote:I`m not really that arsed. Just supporting my mucker.
Captain Kotaro

Postby Woodruff on Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:18 pm

jefjef wrote:Hey C C how about a system be in place that requires a MODS approval before a complaint is posted. It will reduce the # of frivolous & false complaints & reduce the spam that I & others feel necessary to post in re of them. Just a quick once over by a mod & then permission to post. I realize E-Tickets are an option for a complaint but they don't seem to be the preferred path chosen by most complainers. This in itself would eliminate a lot of the rating abuse - chat language and other misc "I'm mad" complaints.

But isn't that really what we already have, sort of? No complaint is "officially looked at" until a mod does, after all. I'm not sure what the benefit to this would be.

Strife wrote:How about some sort of mild punishment for excessive frivolous accusations?

According to Andy, this is already in place and used.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby jbrettlip on Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:30 pm

Woodruff, my suggestion would eliminate the fact that I coudl open a C&A complaint against you for no reason. Plus sometimes complaints can get 2-3 pages of posts before a mod even enters the thread. I think some sort of mod filter, before it becomes public would make sense. Look at the Owenshooter thread for evidence of the behavior that goes on in C&A.
nothing wrong with a little bit of man on dog love.
Lieutenant jbrettlip

Postby ronsizzle on Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:44 pm

this is a fantastic idea.

we need something implemented for that forum quickly.

or maybe you have to be older than cotton (11) to post there.

LETS GET BACK TO CATCHING MULTIS! AND PUTTING OUR 2 SENSE IN ON OTHER ACCUSATIONS.

GREAT IDEA. the flame whores will back this idea 100 percent.
Sergeant 1st Class ronsizzle

Postby Woodruff on Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:06 pm

jbrettlip wrote:Woodruff, my suggestion would eliminate the fact that I coudl open a C&A complaint against you for no reason. Plus sometimes complaints can get 2-3 pages of posts before a mod even enters the thread. I think some sort of mod filter, before it becomes public would make sense. Look at the Owenshooter thread for evidence of the behavior that goes on in C&A.

I'm not saying it's necessarily a bad idea...I'm just not sure that there's much gain to it. A spurious complaint against someone means nothing (I had one in the last week or so, and I found it only mildly humorous, not threatening). Now, I REALLY DO like your input regarding the "forced form" part of the report...there are an amazingly large number of complaints where the original poster doesn't even attempt to use the form. If it were forced, then at least the complaints might be more readable perhaps or certainly easier to check out (via the forced auto-links).
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby Masli on Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:10 am

jbrettlip wrote:What if the whole system was changed? Make a tab that says "report a user". Then that page would pull up a form (like the report a post form) with drop down menus. That would eliminate posts that do not follow formats, are hard to read, or are just complete nonsense.

What about if you report someone, the topic gets an automatic lock untill a mod takes a look at it first, and unlocks it when they are looking into it.
Colonel Masli

Postby lord voldemort on Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:17 am

Masli wrote:
jbrettlip wrote:What if the whole system was changed? Make a tab that says "report a user". Then that page would pull up a form (like the report a post form) with drop down menus. That would eliminate posts that do not follow formats, are hard to read, or are just complete nonsense.

What about if you report someone, the topic gets an automatic lock untill a mod takes a look at it first, and unlocks it when they are looking into it.

well open for abuse...
heck id go locking topics for shits and giggles
Lieutenant lord voldemort

Postby Masli on Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:19 am

then you don't get my point. You don't lock it yourself. When you make a topic in cheating and abuse it would be locked autmaticly
Colonel Masli

Postby lord voldemort on Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:21 am

Masli wrote:then you don't get my point. You don't lock it yourself. When you make a topic in cheating and abuse it would be locked autmaticly

oh so it was actually locked as you made the report..
well i dont think php can do that..as far as im aware..
Lieutenant lord voldemort

Postby Kotaro on Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:17 pm

Masli wrote:

How about, lets say, the forum can't be posted in except when starting new topics, unless you are an admin or multi hunter? Half the damn posts in C&A are spam from people trying to get their post counts up and flame others/troll.
Lakad Matataaag!
Normalin, normalin.

Captain Kotaro

Postby jefjef on Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:48 pm

MrMoody wrote:
jefjef wrote:It will reduce the spam that I & others feel necessary to post in re of them.

You just said it will improve CC because you lack self control?
jefjef wrote:I realize E-Tickets are an option for a complaint but they don't seem to be the preferred path chosen by most complainers.

Can you really know how many E-Tickets the hunters/mods deal with daily? Given the small % of members who read the forum I find it hard to believe that E-Tickets would not be preferred by most members.

Well MrMoody. I have never filed a frivolous complaint and have had one filed against me. Yes I post some crap on occasion (as do many many others) when there is crap posted. But I have not been warned or asked by any C C mods to not post. But if you look at a lot of my posts they do actually contribute. Look at BrowningM1919_46 multi for example. Managed to connect & drag out several more. Do you not think that if there was less garbage posted that less would be posted in re of said garbage? Heck maybe C C should ban all posting in C & A thread with the exception of the complainant and the accused and of course the hunters.The draw back to that of course is that we do some of the foot work to make or break the case. So back to the original idea. An approval system.
Colonel jefjef

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:06 pm

Looking at phpBB's current feature abilities, there are a few options we could look into.

Option A: Users can create new topics, pending approval by C&A Moderator, but no users can further reply to topics.

Option B: Users can create new topics, pending approval by C&A Moderator, and all replies must be approved as well.

Option C: Stick with the Current Method.

==============

Option B would require quite a fair amount of work, for a Moderator to read through all new posts in the C&A and determine if they are relevant. This is probably too much work, and may also lead to further unrest of "why has his post allowed but not mine?"

Option A would require less work, on account there many less topics started in the Cheating and Abuse Forum than the sum total of replies. However, it takes away users posting replies (which may or may not be a good thing).

Option C requires a fair amount of work as well, because Moderators have to sift through a degree of garbage, spam, off topicing, but it currently gives more freedom than Option A or Option B.

Thoughts?

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Kotaro on Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:10 pm

Option A.

Less work for the moderators. Less spam from people simply posting to get their counts up, or just doing the old bullshit reply of "yup, he's busted", which adds nothing to the accusation. If people want to add something that they believe is relevant, they simply PM one of the hunters, and offer up their information.

Option B is too much time and effort. And Option C allows for the crap that C&A has turned into.
Lakad Matataaag!
Normalin, normalin.

Captain Kotaro

Postby clapper011 on Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:12 pm

possibly, if there were a way to limit reports by for example severity, or a minimum requirement? or information needed , before it will even allow a report to be posted and approved by a c&a moderator?
Corporal 1st Class clapper011

Postby AAFitz on Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:12 pm

Well A is the easiest, but it allows accusations to essentially go unanswered, and though screened, may be unfair to the accused. It would probably make the hunters job a little harder at times, because in many cases further info actually is presented by other players...perhaps too much, but certainly its often helpful I would think

B at least allows for answers to threads, but will require some time. However, one would think that if there was a screening process, that most of the spam would be eliminated. Certainly those adding spam would be warned immediately, and would never get to see the spam in the first place, so I would think most would be eliminated quickly...

C. Same as above really, but its just hard to say how many would respect the no spamming. I would think that just the act of knowing there was a screen would mean that most self screened their posts. And those that abused it, would be immediately identifiable.

Ill bet youll need another mod, perhaps dedicated to this one project alone if not two.

Option D. Ask everyone to use better judgment in their posts.
Last edited by AAFitz on Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm Spanking Monkey now....err...I mean I'm a Spanking Monkey now...that shoots milk
Too much. I know.
Sergeant 1st Class AAFitz

Next

Return to Archived Suggestions