Conquer Club

Issue 65: 19/03/09

Old issues and old threads regarding various newsletter things.

Moderator: Community Team

Postby Gozar on Thu May 28, 2009 7:04 pm

Hello tournament fans. St. Patrick's day has come and gone and with it new admins have arrived on the scene. We also unveil a new newsletter segment for your amusement.
As always, if you have any ideas or just want to help out, drop us a line.

Thanks, and enjoy!
Gozar

Image Newsletter Poll
Image News Hound
Image Fun Facts
Image Currently Taking Signups
Image Tournament Updates
Image Coming soon
Image The Tournament Roll of Honour
Image Interview with thekidstrumpet
Image Ask The Nutts
Image Next Issue
ImageNotes
ImageStaff

Our latest poll is still running: Should a medal be given for each and every tournament won?
Please stop by the Suggestion Thread and vote.

Good day.
A sad yet happy day has come upon us. Twill, our community manager, has retired. He was a worked hard to help make CC a better place. Just like the saying "always leave you camp site cleaner than when you found it", he left this internet site cleaner and better than when he found it. With such huge shoes to fill they will divide the job into two positions. One goes to the Michael Jordan of Conquer Club, going into retirement then coming back out, Optimus Prime. He will continue to dabble in tournament organising with the Point Grabbers franchise. Hyasriwill be the new community manager because they want someone to lead the admins on the front lines and someone who has lots of experience. He also worked at my favorite gaming company EA sports for 4 years so lets give a round of applause to Hyasri (WOOO YEAHHHHHH =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> .To read more look here http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=80047.

This is blacky44 signing out.

Fun Facts returns next week.

Due to schedule conflicts, Gilligan is unable to bring us the tournaments taking signups. Signups returns next week, be sure to send in your tournaments, and our apologies.

Here are how some of the currently ongoing tournaments are progressing. Just click the title to visit the thread. Want your tournament listed here? Use the form at the end of this letter!

The Five Elements
Organiser: Kinnison
5x5 divisional play, Hyper-round robin (every combination of 3-, 4-, 5-players, with guaranteed home advantage against EACH combination). 60 games per division, 44 per player. Elimination Round, then finals.
limination round about 5% complete. Tournament Completion projected by September, 2009.

An Evolutionary Tournament II
Organiser: Woodruff
This is a triple-elimination 1-vs-1 bracket-style tournament with a 1-year PREMIUM PRIZE for the victor, as well as a 6-month PREMIUM PRIZE for the non-victor with the best winning percentage. Currently, Poisonous86 is the only remaining undefeated player in the tournament with his pristine 6-0 record. However, he will soon be facing one of three remaining 1-loss players (murphy16 @ 6-1, Taurelias @ 5-1, or dafoz @ 5-1) who are as we speak competing for that opportunity. There are still 22 players fighting their way through the 2-loss bracket, as well. The other 38 players have been eliminated from competition with three losses.

Trippel Trappel
Organiser: PaulusH
Using a 6x6 windmill setup
Requesting for new reserves only at one place in this newspaper doesn't seem to work :-k
Planned End Date: 5 May

Mac Dinner Date
Using a 5x5 windmill setup
First car has brought its people home, the rest went back for the McDrive
Planned end date: 10 October

Bar Double Dutch
Using a 3x3 windmill setup
Since all beer-glasses were broken, everybody started to drink wine :sick:
Planned End Date: 14 April

The Legend of Tor Na’Mit
Organizer: Gozar
Round Ten underway.

Here are some tournaments that noted tournament organisers are planning on running soon.

From keiths31:In keeping with the "Musical Chairs" theme there will be:
Musical Chairs: Mini Maps
Musical Chairs: USA Map Pack
Musical Chairs: Island Tour

Tournament ideas from the mind of barterer2002
Kaplowitz's Unrelated Tournament
God of Godds
Night Sticks and Stones
Down and Dirty V
Brothers in Arms

Here are some recent tournament winners.

"Top Gun Triples Tournament" -deliaselene, King_Herpes, & Army Of Achilles
"Tourney of Disaster"- banana_hammocks
"Difficult Maps: Quads Edition" -Shatners Bassoon, Chariot of Fire, Daryth, jpeter15
"Conquer The World" -ShootandMiss
"The Random Map Duel" -knighthawk
"ConquerClub World Cup 2008" -lokisgal, loes, dragon dor, Forza AZ
"Mission Survive The Longest V1.3" -Megadeth666
"Card Counting Team Challenge" -waseemalim, dcc1220 & elric45
"Championship Series: Chinese Checkers" -Bones2484
"The Evolutionary Tournament" -Funkelee
"Championship Series: The Citadel" -Ghost_Rider
"Doubles Civil War Reenactment" -blitzaholic and natascha
"Et tu, Brute?"-downfall & 4red
"King of the Mountains" -Lacika
"Around All CC's Maps: Caribbean Islands" -ultraman
"Championship Series: City Mogul" -wrexham
"Best Football Players 2000 NFL Edition" -nashlloyd
"Best Football Player NCAA 2000"-jly_champion
"Fog of Feudal War 2" -Poisonous86
"Battle of the N00bs 5" -MaroonBeret
"Freemium with a premium doubles" -Bigroo4601 & Wump
"Foundry Update 8.1" -lanyards
"Dutch Soccer League 2008/2009" -Wrexham
"The Whole Sha-Bang" -dcc1220
"Realms 2 Challenge!" -tyler197802198
"Little Big World 1v1" -Zivel
"Road to the Final Four" -Mikalf
"Best of the Worst Tournament: Doubles Edition" -siutiapik & unataqti
"Royal Flush Tournament" -gordito
"Championship Series: Cairns Metro" -The Neon Peon
"Who has the highest IQ on CC?" -ralphcptc
"Map Blaster IV: The Pantheon Jihad" -Lisbon101
"Minimalist Tournament" -Rocketry
"Freestyle King of Europe" -fidelx
"Classic Ladder Tournament" -vykingsfan64
"End of Days" -Blitzaholic and osujacket
"Escalators II" -Outsiders
"Battle of the Hemispheres" -Sun Tzup
"No Attack Tour" -Blitzaholic
"Champion of Scotland Tournament" -HighlanderAttack
"Mixed Maps" -Natascha & Wilco
"School's Out for Summer 2008" -Tripitaka
"Super Smash Brothers: Singles League" -White Moose
"Championship Series: CCU" -BaldAdonis
"Royal Flush Tournament" -gordito
"JR's 1v1 Challenge V" -tyler197802198
"Art Attack!!!" -torresgerrard
"Last Man Standing: Classic" -odratsab
"Cooks and Cadets" -HollowMan85
"Gilligan's Bracket Tournament V" -knighthawk
"Master of the Third Age" -Alexinho
"Olympics Part 2: Altius" -CandaVespin and bamage

This week we had the chance to talk with thekidstrumpet. All the questions in the interview are based off input from newsletter readers. Next week's interview is with vykingsfan64. You can get your questions in by posting in this thread.

Now, on with the Interview!

Q: Hello, thekidstrumpet.

A: Hello Interview.

Q:What makes you interview worthy?

A:Gozar, Gozar makes me interview worthy, haha!

Q:How did you find this website?

A:Was looking up "Castle Risk" and stumbled upon it completely by accident.

Q: Why did you join CC?

A:Because it looked wicked interesting. I had no idea such a gaming community existed.

Q:Why did you start to play tournaments?

A:After getting frustrated I could only have 4 games and buying a premium account I began exploring the site more and found the forums and tourneys. I was excited that people ran tourneys and quickly joined as many as I could handle.

Q:What made you want to start running tournaments?

A:I had joined "Bring it On" initially as a player when Coleman ran it. When he abandoned it Lufsen and I were pretty sad, it was a great and unique concept that we loved. We decided, with his permission to take it over.

Q: How long have you been organizing tournaments?

A:I co-ran "Bring it On" with Lufsen for roughly 8 months before things in my real life made it hard for me to find the time to get the charts and statistics updated, in which case Lufsen stepped up and took over the full load of the ever ongoing tourney.

Q:What tournament did you first run?

A:"Bring it On"

Q:How is it to run a tournament with Lufsen and how long are you guys planning to continue with Bring it on league?

A:Running a tourney with Lufsen was a lot of fun, he is a great guy and very easy going and understandable. Things have began to simmer down in my real life, I have been absent from the tourney for a while, but if he would have me back I would definitely step back up to the plate and help bear the load of running "Bring it On" again.

Q: Describe the experience of your first tournament played in.

A:Oooooh, it was memorable, the good 'ol Round the Board dart league hosted by Kendoh99. I was super stoked, it being my first tourney and all but after 3 exciting rounds Kendoh dropped off the face of the Earth, and by the time he returned we had lost players and the tourney couldn't survive.

Q: What is your favorite tournament you’ve played in? Why?

A:That would be a toss up between Gozar's "A Long Walk" tourney (RIP) and the "Bring it On" league. Something about dedicated players and long tourneys. You really get to know the people you play with, its a nice tight group of players that get to have fun playing the game and chatting on the forums.

Q:Do you prefer to run or enter tournaments?

A:I prefer to enter tournaments but with my absence from organizing I've got some things in the works that may get me back on the organizing block.

Q: Is there a specific type of format that you tend to gravitate towards? Why?

A:I dig long tourneys as I've stated before. But there is something to be said for the cut and dry, small and short tourneys like "Point Grabbers" and the "Championship Series" tourneys that by Optimus Prime and barterer2002 run. Tourneys like these really keep the site together and the community involved. I'd suggest a tourney such as theirs to any beginner looking for a tourney to start off with. I personally, however, do not have any specific format I gravitate towards.

Q: Overall, are you playing a lot in tournaments? If not, then why and where do you find your games to play?

A:I'm currently in about 8 different tourneys. I try not to join too many... but they keep calling my name!

Q: How excited where you with your first CC win?

A:Ecstatic! It was the 2nd game I played, just a regular public game, but it was 6 players and I got the best of them. Did not, at all, think I'd get a win that early in my CC career.

Q:Have you ever won a tournament?

A:I come so close so often... usually get 2nd or 3rd place; however, I did get a win in barterer2002's "Championship Series: Arms Race!" to finally put a trophy on my CC shelf.

Q: What is your most disappointing tournament loss to date?

A:Good question, I won't say most disappointing but hardest to take maybe, I've had a couple, the Championship Series: Civil War against dtellis was a great matchup that he ended up winning out. Also Aerials Terminate the Madness tourney. I love the Madness map and to make it to the finals and get bested was tough. It was a close matchup tho.

Q: In your mind, what makes a successful tournament?

A:A great concept and a organizer who knows what they are doing. Keeping your tourneys updated and the participants aware of what is going on is probably one of the most important things to me.

Q: What do you consider to be the most successful tournaments you've seen run?

A:Since I started playing tournaments I've gotta say any tourney ran by Gozar or Optimus Prime have drawn my attention as they are very well thought out and successfully ran.

Q: What is the best Tournament that you think has been underestimated?

A: Serbia's sports tourneys. I love them. They occur regularly and are very well thought out and ran.

Q:Have you ever been disappointed in a tournament you entered?

A:To have a inexperienced organizer with a great concept drop the ball or just flat out drop off the face of the planet and CC... definitely a let down and disappointment.

Q: What makes a successful organizer?

A:A person who can take criticism from players who don't know any better. Who can come up with a great concept, see it to fruition in CC form, and rally the troops to 'join up.' And most importantly as I stated above, keep said troops/participants up to date with all current events and goings on within the tournament.

Q: Is there anything in particular that you dislike about tournament organizing?

A:Sometimes there are just not enough hours in the day, and even if you do keep the people participating in your tourney updated people become frustrated and angry and some drop out, but it just happens and you have to move on.

Q: For you, what is the best part of being a tournament organizer?

A:Seeing the interest in your tourney, and people sign up. I'm sure Otis (Optimus Prime) gets happy every time he posts a new tourney and it gets filled within the hour.

Q: What mistakes do you see tournament organizers make the most?

A:Not realizing how much they are taking on with their tourney. Starting out too big, with large player #'s when they should try a small tourney first.

Q: With experience comes the wisdom of knowing what mistakes you've made in the past so you can avoid them in the future. What mistakes have you made in your tournaments that you are sure to avoid in future tournaments?

A:Definitely my failure to come back to the Bring it On tourney. I basically was forced to drop my workload on Lufsen. First I was between jobs and then my computer crashed and I had to build a new one. Letting my real life effect my tourneys and not scheduling more time for them would be my downfall and lesson learned here.

Q:What is your opinion on organizer neutrality? Should organizers be allowed to place themselves against their own clanmates in tournaments? Should organizers be allowed to join their own tournaments at all?

A:Eh, I don't see any problem with putting yourself in your tourneys or going up against clanmates. Frankly I love facing off against clanmates, they are some of the best games I've had. I do not think an organizer has to be neutral in his/her own tourney.

Q: Do you use a "schedule" for updating your tournaments, or do you just wait until they need an update?

A:I tried a schedule, it didn't work. But a schedule for posting in the tourney thread and letting the players know what is going on is a must.

Q:Should “question marks” be allowed to join tournaments?

A:No, nuff sed.

Q:Do you feel it is better to give a bye to players whose opponents deadbeats the tournament, or to use a reserve?

A:In the initial stages I like to go with a reserve, but if its near the finals I think the player deserves a bye, even if that lets that player win the tourney.

Q: If you could change one thing about Conquer Club in general, what would it be?

A:You know, I'm not too picky about my conquer club experience. I've never had real problems with the site, aside from the servers crashing last year a couple times. Overall, I've loved my time here, there is nothing really screaming out to me that I'd change. Viva la CC.

Q: If there was something that the Conquer Club administrators could implement into the game to make tournaments easier to manage, what would it be? Similarly, is there anything you would like to see taken away from Conquer Club to make running tournaments easier?

A:I really don't think I've ran enough tournaments to answer this question yet. Get back to me on this in the future.

Q: Is there anything that you would recommend to encourage new tournament organizers?

A:Start small. Then as your tourneys become success and finish up gradually grow your numbers of participants and number of tourneys.

Q: List your top 5 biggest tournament headache's to this point

A:My first tourney the "RTB league" folding, the "A Long Walk" tourney becoming abandoned after a year plus of playing, Losing Serbia's OHL league after coming so close to the win, My personal problems making me quit "Bring it On," and my many other near tourney losses in the finals.

None of them are real serious headaches, as I have never really been that upset with CC. If I had to pick a headache it would be my failure to update "Bring it On" as regularly as I wanted to.

Q:How much time does CC take from your day?

A:A good hour at least.

Q:Are you a member of any clans or usergroups?

A:Just Generation One: The Clan and Generation Zero

Q:Why did you leave LoD?

A:There was some disorganization, a disturbance in the 'force' if you will. People were coming and going. The opportunity presented itself to leave, in the form of "Generation One" and I had always had fun talking to and playing in Optimus and Gozar's tourneys. So I took it.

Q:Is Boss_oss_ss your favourite LoD member?

A:Boss_oss_ss was a cool cat, great opponent and chatter on the boards. Strider while we were in LoD was my favorite member. But since Strider and I are both in Gen One now, I'll have to say Boss moved up to my favorite LoD member.

Q:Who are you?

A:The pale horse of the apocalypse! C'mon! What kind of question is that to put in the middle of the interview.

Q: Why did you pick the name thekidstrumpet?

A:I've played the trumpet 15 years, and for nearly a decade have been called "The Kid" by virtually everybody, from professors in college to all my friends and coworkers. Even at some teaching jobs I've had the children would call me Mr. Kid.

Q:How often do you wish you capitalized the "T" "K" "T" in your name so that the other way of reading it didn't work?

A:Eh, I never considered it til maybe a year ago when somebody started calling me Strumpet. Now its a clan joke. If I'm not called TKT its Strumpet now.

Q:Where are you from?

A:California.

Q:Where in the United States can you find strumpet kids?

A:Apparently in California.

Q:Why are you so damn awesome?

A:Maybe I should write a book to outline this, "From Awesome to Awesome and how to be more Awesome" by TKT.

Q:What would be your dream job?

A:Playing music full time.

Q:What are your hobbies outside of CC?

A:Music and teaching. I play the trumpet, valve trombone, congas, bass guitar and sing. And I teach Pre-K currently.

Q:What sports do you follow?

A:Basketball and Soccer/Futbol

Q:Favourite play colour?

A: Red or Orange

Q:Favourite and least favourite map?

A:Chinese Checkers is my favorite, I'm probably one of the few who dig it. Least favorite maps are the Age of Realms maps, I've never been a fan of them and avoid them at any cost.

Q:Do you have a particular "favorite map" for tournament play (either to run in your
tournament or to play in)?

A:I dig Madness and Civil War for play in a tourney; however, I have not ran a tourney around those maps yet. I think I might have to soon tho.

Q:Favourite settings?

A:For my favorite maps: Flat/Chained/FoW

Q:Freestyle or sequential?

A:Sequential all the way.

Q: Any tournaments planned for the future? What are they?

A:Nothing to shout out right now, but definitely in the future. After writing this interview I really want to get a Madness tourney going. It has been to long and I need to get a'crackin' on organizing.

Q:Do you have any special deep thoughts for us in this interview?

A:Sure I do. I saw a movie the other day. It was a movie about a cop and a scared witness who was scheduled to testify against the mob. The cop visited the witness' place of residence and knocked on the door. The door swung gently inward at his touch. Right then, I knew the witness was dead. See, if you knock on a door in the movies, and it turns out that the door was left ajar, it means somebody was killed. I think the next movie director who shoots a scene like this should be taken out and shot.

Q: Any parting shots?

A:Like that director in my deep thought? Naw nobody I want to kill on CC.... yet.... j/k

Q: Thank you for your time.

A:Likewise, I really enjoyed this interview.

by David Hoekstra

Ask the Nutts. . .a Q&A column

(an explanation of what it is all about)

The ConquerClub Tournament Newsletter is testing a new feature for the monthly news letter entitled “Ask the Nutts.” Members, especially new members are encouraged to send in questions to "The Nutts". The three Nutts brothers will do their best to answer the questions.

R. Nutts, PHD – doctorate English, the Official Conquer Club expert
H. Nutts, MBA – looks at the business/economic/efficient side of things
A. Nutts, BS – lesser educated of the trio, gives a layman’s viewpoint

Q: "Why was the term Fortifications switched to Reinforcements?" -Mary K.

A: R. Nutts, PHD: several terms were changed to synonyms to eliminate possible trademark infringements with Hasbro/Risk (Spoils/cards, etc.)

H. Nutts, MBA: really? I thought it was to reduce syllables by 20% or parents asked CC to cut back on use of the F-word(s).

A. Nutts, BS: you two have it all wrong. Fortifications comes from the Greek implying moving 4 (or 40) while Reinforcements comes from the Latin meaning Move (Rein-) Because (-Force-) My (-Me-) Other Territory Is Weak (nts).

Q: "I can never decide which Reinforcement setting to use. What do you recommend?" -Johnny C.

A: R. Nutts, PHD: I choose Adjacent. The more skilled a player is the more they want to limit an opponents chances of having the armies they need where they want them. This choice limits their options the most

H. Nutts, MBA: Escalating. I like the option of shifting forces across the board, but with some limits.

A. Nutts, BS: Unlimited is the ONLY way to go. When I go out to eat I like all you can eat smorgasbords, all you can drink pubs. . .and after returning home from those pubs, if I make a mistake reinforcing I can change it –several times. Of course it drives my opponents crazy, but isn’t that half the fun of CC?. . .and does anyone have an aspirin?

We expect this column to continue as long as:
- the questions keep coming in
- members find it interesting

Questions can be submitted to either Gozar or David Hoekstra

Interviews Interview with vykingsfan64

Notes

If you want your tournament included in a future issue, please PM Gozar using this form:

----------------FORM-------------------
Tournament Name: (with link)
Organiser Name:
Brief description or update:
Rough estimate of percent complete/signed up:
---------------FORM---------------------

You can also write articles to submit for publishing, I can't keep this running by myself, I need YOUR help!

To subscribe/ unsubscribe for the tournament newsletter, visit this thread.
-
-
-

Staff
Editor in chief- Gozar
Recruiting Editor/Fun Facts- Gilligan
Graphics- Sir. Ricco/samuelc812
News Hound-blacky44
Ask the Nutts- David Hoekstra
Contributors- People like you!
Lieutenant Gozar

Return to Newsletter Archives