Conquer Club

Issue 72: 05/05/09

Old issues and old threads regarding various newsletter things.

Moderator: Community Team

Postby Gozar on Thu May 28, 2009 7:09 pm

Hello tournament fans. We lay another issue of the newsletter at your doorstep this week. Take some time to peruse its contents.
As always, if you have any ideas or just want to help out, drop us a line.

Thanks, and enjoy!
Gozar

Image Newsletter Poll
Image Seeking Staff
Image Fun Facts
Image Currently Taking Signups
ImageTournament Updates
ImageComing Soon
Image The Tournament Roll of Honuor
ImageInterview with Dazoot
ImageNext Issue
Image Notes
ImageStaff

Our current poll is over half complete. This time the question asks: Which newsletters do you read?
Please stop by the Suggestion Thread and vote.

The newsletter needs new staff. If interested in a position below, please PM Gozar.

Currently Taking Signups -One of the more critical newsletter sections. We are in need of someone to compile a weekly list of all the tournaments in signups. If you are organised, through and can keep to a schedule, this could be a position for you.

The current set up of tournaments was completed by Twill on Wed Oct 31, 2007 at 11:13 pm

Sadly, we cannot bring you a complete list of tournaments taking signups, as we are understaffed at the moment.

Here are how some of the currently ongoing tournaments are progressing. Just click the title to visit the thread. Want your tournament listed here? Use the form at the end of this letter!

2008-2009 College Hoops
Organiser: flexmaster33
Congrats to UCLA (lardass76), who won the 2008-09 College Hoops season. Lardass76 finished with an impressive 30-9 record, won the Pac-10 regular season title and swept all three maps in the NCAA championship game.

We Hate de Pink Cutesy Club
Organiser: jricart
Remember the april's fool day! well, I came with the idea to create a tourney against those funny guys who change the Conquer Club template and replace it with that ugly pink.
I got a good response from players, and the tourney got created, filled and started in less than 7 hours!!! a new record in Conquer Club.

Conquistador Hispano 2: Luxemburg
A tournament for the spanish speaking players in Conquer Club. It will be a complete set of 8 tournaments, and the different winners of all the8 tourneys qualify for the Final "Conquistador de Conquistadores" Tournament, the most complex and longest spanish speaking tournament to be created in Conquer Club.

Formula 1 2009 Tournaments!
A set of 18 tournaments to celebrate the 2009 Formula 1 season. This tournament is open to everybody, but specially for those F1 Racing Fans around the world and users of Conquer Club. This 2009 F1 season has 20 drivers, so the tournaments have the same number of users, 20.

The Legend of Tor Na’Mit
Organizer: Gozar
Round Twelve is getting underway

Here are some tournaments that noted tournament organisers are planning on running soon.

Double Iron Bar
Organiser: PaulusH
using a 3x3 windmill setup
My earlier bar (Bar Double Dutch) burned down, so I will rebuild it in Iron :twisted:
Will be put at the create/join forum on 15 May

Tournament ideas from the mind of barterer2002
Championship Series Continues
The Mapmaker Extravaganza - Featuring 8 of CC's most prodigious mapmakers.

Formula 1 2009 Tournaments from jricart

Here are some recent tournament winners.

"Fog of Feudal War 2" -Tammy DeLee
"As Cold As Ice" -Verbalizer
"Luck or Skill" -WPBRJ
"Waters Fury Open" -solar
"b00060s Classic Shapes Tournament V" -overlander
"b00060s Classic Shapes Tournament IV" -fairman
"b00060s Classic Shapes Tournament VI" -ppgangster
"The Medal Heads Invitational 3" -oklok
"Around All CCs Maps: Circus Maximus" -redtide
"Start Your Engines" -denominator
"1v1 Capitalism" -jangles
"LxDS Coconuts and Rum" -Blitzaholic and Big Whiskey
"Small Maps 1v1 Tournament" -b00060
"phantomzeros Canada Tournament" -neanderpaul14
"Sanctuary Tour" -killmanic
"Around All CCs Maps: ConquerMan" -Blitzaholic
"Around All CCs Maps: Doodle Earth" -HighlanderAttack
"2008 College Basketball Season" -lardass76
"Seven Continent Trips Tournament" -Prismsaber-agonzos-Terminalcase56
"The Medal Heads Invitational 2" -JOHNNYROCKET24
"LittleBig World 2 2v2" -Lootifer and Zivel
"PsychoB's Luxembourg 2" -JOHNNYROCKET24
"Two at a Time Tournament" -kratos644
"Fivemores World 2.1 6 player" -Blitzaholic
"Bar Double Dutch" -Serbia and Tripitaka
"Rewrite History" -taxmanjle
"Yanks vs Rebs Doubles 2009" -khazalid and Nephilim
"Hired Gun" -Sun Tzup
"Asian Assassin Tournament" -Tobikera
"You are in the Dark" -VampireM
"Disc" -Blitzaholic and BigWhiskey
"Speed Terminator II" -Blobby
"Gc's AOR Magic Doubles Tournament" -ramsrock00 & DBandit70
"Foundry Update 10.0" -Ghost_Rider
"The Mummy-Terminator" -BrotherWolf
"Small Maps 1v1 Tournament" -jricart
"Championship Series: Draknor Level 1" -JOHNNYROCKET24
"Championship Series: Crossword" -klut2z
"Around Australia 1v1 Tournament"- Blitzaholic
"Around all CC's Maps: CCU" -demy7
"Conquistidor Hispano 1" -darth emperor
"Jump the Castle Tournament" -neanderpaul14
"Champions League 2008-2009" -redbugal & gilgor
"My Map is Better than Yours" -endar1077
"Trapped in the Myst: Ireland" -dustin800
"Championship Series: DDay" -nick11
"Around All CC's Maps: Conquer4" -b00060
"Terrorism 101" -ldybajc
"Around All CC's Maps: Crossword" -Lindax
"Daviedoo Invitational" -Daviedoo and Lindax
"Awesome Foursome Tournament" -Chariot of Fire, jpeter15, Shatners Bassoon, Daryth

This week we had a chat with Dazoot. All questions in the interview are submitted by readers. Next week, we have an interview with Peter Gibbonsfor you.
You can submit your questions in this thread.

Now, on with the interview!

Q: Hello, Dazoot.

A:Hi

Q:What makes you interview worthy?

A:I really have no idea. I didn't think I was on the CC radar. Do you just pick names at random???

Q:How did you find this website?

A:It was introduced to me by a friend.

Q: Why did you join CC?

A: I always enjoyed Risk and for it's a great price for the entertainment value.

Q:Whats your motivation (or why do you like) to play on CC?

A: Well before computers came along we used to have Risk parties. Get together have a few drinks and rule the world. Now I can get that world domination fix on a regular basis and having all the differrent maps is really great.

Q:Why did you start to play tournaments?

A:Just playing casually was okay for a while but a tournament makes things much more intense. You have a goal to reach over many games and you have to beat other players more than once as opposesd to getting lucky dice in a casual game. It really tests your quality as they say.

Q:What made you want to start running tournaments?

A:I never really did, it all happened by mistake. I was playing in one of Brandoncfi's Map Blaster Series and was keeping track on mine own of all the scores as points in this tourney are crucial on how you play the games. I found a few errors and kept PMing Brandoncfi about them. Must have become a pain in the butt because he finally asked me to take over the scoring for the tournament. Since then he invited me in to help him run the next Map Blaster tourneys, the rest is history.

Q: How long have you been organizing tournaments?

A:Not long and really, Brandoncfi does most of the organizing I do the legwork of score keeping and making sure games are up and running.

Q: Who do you look to for inspiration when organizing your tournament?

A: I really can't drop names right now but I like the players that create the theme tourneys so I guess I'd say Brandoncfi for sure and of course yourself, The Legend of Tor na Mit is a great premise.

Q: Describe the experience of your first tournament ran, and first played in.

A:Running a tournament is a lot more work that's for sure. And you feel a little extra pressure because you want to stay in. All work and no play is not a great place to be in. As for the first tourney I think that was the experience that solidified my addiction to CC.

Q:Tell us about your overall tournament experience from when you first joined a tournament to the present day. How has it changed for you? Is it a better experience than before? Worse?

A:It's always a good experience and now the tournaments are getting much more creative. When your playing in a theme based tournament it brings a different dimension to the play, so even if your playing the same old maps the experience is different somehow.

Q: What is your favorite tournament you’ve played in? Why?

A:Map Blaster of course. Playing all the maps at once is really a blast...pun intended.

Q:Do you prefer to run or enter tournaments?

A:I enjoy them both and I think I'll enhance my experience once I set up a tourney on my own.

Q: Is there a specific type of format that you tend to gravitate towards? Why? Is there a format that is your favourite? What about other peoples' tournaments?

A:I really like the theme format. It just adds to the overall experience.

Q:Are you selective about which types of tournaments you join or do you join just about everything you can fit into your personal game load? If you are selective, do you look for certain styles or organizers?

A:I have to be a little selective in that Map Blaster takes a lot of time so if I do join other tourneys they tend to have a much lighter game load.

Q:What would be your dream tournament if someone were to offer to run it for you so that you just had to show up and play? Or, have you already participated in your dream tournament?

A:My dream tourney would be a Map Blaster Series in speed mode. A 130 games games at once in speed mode. You have to take the day off and go bananas. I think it will remain a dream as most of the games would time out on you but it would be interesting.

Q: Do you find it easier to choose tournament settings yourself, or to let the players customize them?

A:Setting your own is easier this way when your setting the games you have less mistakes because all the settings are the same.

Q: Overall, are you playing a lot in tournaments? If not, then why and where do you find your games to play?

A:I'm involved in four or five right now.

Q: How excited where you with your first CC win?

A: I have to admit I was. Also watching your rank go up was nice.

Q:If you had to win one tournament that you are currently a part of which would it be and why?

A:Again that would be Map Blaster coming out on top of a 120 players over the course of a
almost a 1000 games... now that gives you bragging rights.

Q: What is your most disappointing tournament loss to date?

A:I won the first Musical Chairs tournament so I thought finishing high up or even winning it again should have been attainable. Then reality set in and I got my butt handed to me in the first round and I was out.

Q: In your mind, what makes a successful tournament?

A:Attention to detail, a short space between games and frequent updates nothing bugs me more than not knowing where you are standing in a tournament or long waits for games to be sent out.

Q: What do you consider to be the most successful tournaments you've seen run?

A:Map Blaster of course.

Q: What makes a successful organizer?

A:Some one who takes the time to keep things runnining smoothly. Making sure games are out on time and filled promptly. Also who interacts with the players on a regular basis, in the forums for instance.

Q: How do you attract players to your tournament, and what aspect (besides a reward of a premium prize or something like that) of a tournament do you think appeals to a lot of players and why?

A:All the above really. There is no prize offered in the Map Blaster series but when you can fill it with a 120 players in less than a couple of days then you know you have a winner there and your doing something right.

Q: Is there anything in particular that you dislike about tournament organizing?

A:Not really it's about making the experience enjoyable for the players and that's what makes it enjoyable for yourself.

Q: For you, what is the best part of being a tournament organizer?

A:The comments in the game forum, (as long as they are positive) If you have a lot of players posting you know they are interested and you are doing something right.

Q: What mistakes do you see tournament organizers make the most?

A:I believe it's not realizing how much work is involved. Been in a few tourneys that have been dropped because the person who started them could not keep up with the work load they gave themselves.

Q: With experience comes the wisdom of knowing what mistakes you've made in the past so you can avoid them in the future. What mistakes have you made in your tournaments that you are sure to avoid in future tournaments?

A:I haven't made any.... :roll:

Q:What is your opinion on organizer neutrality? Should organizers be allowed to place themselves against their own clanmates in tournaments? Should organizers be allowed to join their own tournaments at all?

A:I don't think there is a problem in playing in your own tournaments it's not like some can hide the fact that they may be ganging up on someone and if they do you just don't enter their tournaments. Overall I have found most players are quite honorable.

Q: Do you use a "schedule" for updating your tournaments, or do you just wait until they need an update?

A:I update games daily if I can, and that gets to be pretty demanding in a tourney with as many players and games as Map Blaster has.

Q:Should “question marks” be allowed to join tournaments?

A:Why not. mind you I usually join multigame tourneys where premium is required so that really negates the question marks from playing.

Q:Do you feel it is better to give a bye to players whose opponents deadbeats the tournament, or to use a reserve?

A:It depends if your just at the start I'd say put a reserve in but if your in the thick of things then just mark it up as an easy defeat for the remaining players.

Q: If you could change one thing about Conquer Club in general, what would it be?

A:Death to the Dice.., really chance is a part of the game but some of the dice rolls are really stupid when you lose like 20 vs 1.

Q: If there was something that the Conquer Club administrators could implement into the game to make tournaments easier to manage, what would it be? Similarly, is there anything you would like to see taken away from Conquer Club to make running tournaments easier?

A:Drop down menus for the players. it would make PMing a lot easier, too many weird names to spell right.

Q: Is there anything that you would recommend to encourage new tournament organizers?

A:Get in there and do it. It doesn't cost a penny and you may find that you really enjoy it. Simply put it can enhance the whole CC experience.

Q: List your top 5 biggest tournament headache's to this point

A:Drop outs...deadbeats...Drop outs...deadbeats..oh and did I say deadbeats?

Q:How much time does CC take from your day?

A: When Blaster is in full swing easily 2 to 4 hours a day. I really have to get a life or figure out how to get paid for this, :lol:

Q:Are you a member of any clans or usergroups?

A:No, not yet anyway...maybe after this I get a few invites. :lol:

Q:Who do you look up to in this community?

A:I have to give a lot a credit to the map makers wish I could do one but I don't think my graphic abilities are up to it.

Q:Who are you?

A:Just a guy who has aspirations of total world domination and CC is a great place to hone my skills.

Q:How do you define yourself?

A:Hmmm I think if you can do something to help ease the stress of the outside world then you have made a contribution. So being a part of CC and having a hand in making the CC experience a good one for the players then I feel that I have accomplished at least a small part of that of that.

Q: Why did you pick the name Dazoot?

A:If you remember the Muppet show there was a jazz player called Zoot. I liked the character so I started signing myself as da(the) Zoot. over time it evolved into Dazoot.

Q:Where are you from?

A:Manitoba Canada

Q:Favourite play colour?

A:Bkue or yellow as I find them the easiest to see on most maps.

Q:Favourite and least favourite map?

A: Imperium Romanum and World 2.0 least fav is Conquer Man

Q:Favourite settings?

A:Standard, escalating, no fog, for the most part. but assassin with fog is really interesting.

Q:Freestyle or sequential?

A:Sequential, My internet is satellite so it can drag in bad weather and I tend to get my butt killed in freestyle before I even know it's my turn.

Q: Any tournaments planned for the future? What are they?

A:I will no doubt stay with Brandoncfi on the Map Blaster Series as long as he keeps them going and I'm sure we will as there are always more maps being made so it's only going to get bigger. But I have a plan in my head for a nations tourney as soon as I figure it all out.

Q:How does it feel to be interviewed?

A:Again I don't know why I was picked but it great to be a celebrity on CC ...I think.

Q: Any parting shots?

A:Sure ..It is better to lose with honor than to win without it.

Q: Thank you for your time.

A:Hey..thanks for asking for it. =D> =D> =D> =D>

Interview With Peter Gibbons

Notes

If you want your tournament included in a future issue, please PM Gozar using this form:

----------------FORM-------------------
Tournament Name: (with link)
Organiser Name:
Brief description or update:
Rough estimate of percent complete/signed up:
---------------FORM---------------------

You can also write articles to submit for publishing, I can't keep this running by myself, I need YOUR help!

To subscribe/ unsubscribe for the tournament newsletter, visit this thread.
-
-
-

Staff
Editor in chief- Gozar
Graphics- Sir. Ricco/samuelc812
News Hound-blacky44
Ask the Nutts- David Hoekstra
Fun Facts-sailorseal
Contributors- People like you!
Lieutenant Gozar

Return to Newsletter Archives