Conquer Club

Graphical Auto Replay for Fog Games

Have suggestion for a new or old tool/enhancement? Come on in!

Moderator: Tech Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Graphical Auto Replay for Fog Games

Postby grunion on Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:46 am

I often wonder how fog games really unfold in those first few rounds where you have no idea what's going on. To some extent you can recreate the game in your head from the log but for dumb guys like me it would be fun to be able to click an "Auto Replay" button that, after the game is over, lets you advance through a turn-by-turn history of how the game went down by showing the map unfogged. I realize this may be revealing some sooper seekrit strategy that some players have on certain maps (Feudal and AOR Maps in particular) but for most maps I think it wouldn't be such a big deal and would be fun and interesting.
Sergeant 1st Class grunion

Re: Graphical Auto Replay for Fog Games

Postby ender516 on Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:33 pm

Check out Handy Game History. It's just about the best you can do right now with the game log as it stands. Specifically, it can show you territories changing hands, but cannot tell you troop counts.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby sempaispellcheck on Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:39 am

Is there a way to program BOB (or a separate script) to automatically take a snapshot after each player's turn?
Seems to me that would do the job.
High score: 2200 - July 20, 2015
Game 13890915 - in which I helped clinch the NC4 title for LHDD

Lieutenant sempaispellcheck

Location: Among the clouds and the skyscrapers, saving the world.

Postby ender516 on Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:45 am

You could write a script to take a snapshot after your turn, but remember, the script can only work on what your browser has loaded, so unless you kept a window open and updating constantly, it would not know when others had taken their turn. Plus, snapshots during a foggy game would not tell you as much as analyzing the game log after the fog has lifted at the end of the game, which is what the Handy Game History does.

Postby grunion on Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:44 am

Thanks - cool script. I'd still like to see it enabled with troop counts but this script does help tell the story of the game.
Sergeant 1st Class grunion

Postby trinicardinal on Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:20 am

grunion wrote:Thanks - cool script. I'd still like to see it enabled with troop counts but this script does help tell the story of the game.

I don't think it can show troop counts since the troop information (relating to troops lost in attacks) is not available in the game log.
10:16:35 ‹Ace Rimmer› haven't looked at work in ages
10:42:43 ‹Sackett58› fine, I'll take my panties elsewhere
Captain trinicardinal

Postby ender516 on Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:58 pm

trinicardinal wrote:
grunion wrote:Thanks - cool script. I'd still like to see it enabled with troop counts but this script does help tell the story of the game.

I don't think it can show troop counts since the troop information (relating to troops lost in attacks) is not available in the game log.

Right. That kind of refinement is awaiting something known in the Suggestions Forum as Game Log 2.0.

Return to Tools Suggestions