Conquer Club

Conquer Club Map Rank GL Rewired

Archival storage to keep things organized and uncluttered. Can't find what you need? Search for old topics here.

Moderator: Tech Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Conquer Club Map Rank GL Rewired

Postby greenoaks on Fri May 13, 2011 8:05 pm

if you are to lazy to search, expect more rants.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby ViperOverLord on Sun May 15, 2011 6:46 pm

Sword Master wrote:
Frop wrote:
ViperOverLord wrote:
SirSebstar wrote:can your read say any of the past 3 pages, and you will see that the new firefox you just installed breaks map rank

How about instead of telling everybody to go back and read a bunch of posts, you just simply answer the question?

Try it like this: Map Rank GL does not currently work with Fire Fox 4. A reported fix date is June 22.

How about you actually read a thread before asking stupid questions? Being helpful is one thing, being lazy is another.

I was just asking because I wanted to know! If 50 people have asked the same thing before me and you hate to talk about it then you don't have to!
Complaining about people asking questions related to why it's not working is irrational! If it's not working of course people are going to talk about it on the thread that is supposed to help you install it :roll: !!! What did you think this thread is about? Puppies :lol: ?

I agree. I find that people that want to give other people lectures about 'being lazy' for not apparently going all CSI with the forum and/or search engine are basically the equivalent of hecklers. Why patronize someone for not going through a bunch of post when perhaps they deem it more proficient to ask a simple question that merely requires a simple answer? That is not lazy. It is smart. So the people that are lecturing on not having done enough research are being counterproductive and distracting from positive communication.

And for the record, I never advocated not searching answers otherwise. It is I that went back and found answers to the questions and posted them.

I advocate the duality of being allowed to ask simple questions without being patronized as 'being lazy' and independent research and analysis. Both approaches are valid and have merit. If a person is put out by answering a simple question and has to scourge other posters for not finding an answer that is two or three pages back then I would suggest that he/she does not post his cynical reply.

I tried to say that point nicely before. But given frop's insulting reply, I'm putting my regards in no uncertain terms. BTW Frop - I never asked any questions, let alone 'stupid questions (implication: questions regarding map rank gl and ff4).' How about you take your own advice of doing your homework before opening your mouth and 'stupid(ly)' posting.
High Score: #76 3053
Captain ViperOverLord

Postby chipv on Sun May 15, 2011 7:08 pm

Stay on topic please, people. Swordmaster please feel free to post here anytime.

What is missing is a FAQ which Map Rank badly needs, not your fault here.
Lieutenant chipv

Re: Conquer Club Map Rank GL Rewired[FF4 bug breaks Map Rank

Postby ender516 on Sun May 15, 2011 7:46 pm

Perhaps something more specific than a FAQ; something like a current status and known issues/bugs post. Perhaps something like this could be put together for all the tools, like the Conquer Club User Guides which have the installation instructions. (Actually, it would be nice if something like this could be set to appear at the top of every page of this topic (like a poll would appear), then the latest things could always be right at hand.)
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby Calidrmr on Mon May 16, 2011 12:26 pm

ender516 wrote:Perhaps something more specific than a FAQ; something like a current status and known issues/bugs post. Perhaps something like this could be put together for all the tools, like the Conquer Club User Guides which have the installation instructions. (Actually, it would be nice if something like this could be set to appear at the top of every page of this topic (like a poll would appear), then the latest things could always be right at hand.)

great ideas, ender! do we have the capability to put something like that up? For now, maybe at least put the status in big, bold, colors in the first post?
<Juan_Bottom>You're like the Barry Bonds of drinking. You don't need the practice you just do it because you like it.
Corporal 1st Class Calidrmr

Postby Sword Master on Mon May 16, 2011 12:36 pm

chipv wrote:Stay on topic please, people. Swordmaster please feel free to post here anytime.

What is missing is a FAQ which Map Rank badly needs, not your fault here.

Thanks! I appreciate it!!!
Private 1st Class Sword Master

Postby greenoaks on Mon May 16, 2011 1:52 pm

ViperOverLord wrote:I agree. I find that people that want to give other people lectures about 'being lazy' for not apparently going all CSI with the forum and/or search engine are basically the equivalent of hecklers. Why patronize someone for not going through a bunch of post when perhaps they deem it more proficient to ask a simple question that merely requires a simple answer? That is not lazy. It is smart. So the people that are lecturing on not having done enough research are being counterproductive and distracting from positive communication.

And for the record, I never advocated not searching answers otherwise. It is I that went back and found answers to the questions and posted them.

I advocate the duality of being allowed to ask simple questions without being patronized as 'being lazy' and independent research and analysis. Both approaches are valid and have merit. If a person is put out by answering a simple question and has to scourge other posters for not finding an answer that is two or three pages back then I would suggest that he/she does not post his cynical reply.

I tried to say that point nicely before. But given frop's insulting reply, I'm putting my regards in no uncertain terms. BTW Frop - I never asked any questions, let alone 'stupid questions (implication: questions regarding map rank gl and ff4).' How about you take your own advice of doing your homework before opening your mouth and 'stupid(ly)' posting.

the thing about swordmaster was that the answer was on that page

Calidrmr wrote:
ender516 wrote:Perhaps something more specific than a FAQ; something like a current status and known issues/bugs post. Perhaps something like this could be put together for all the tools, like the Conquer Club User Guides which have the installation instructions. (Actually, it would be nice if something like this could be set to appear at the top of every page of this topic (like a poll would appear), then the latest things could always be right at hand.)

great ideas, ender! do we have the capability to put something like that up? For now, maybe at least put the status in big, bold, colors in the first post?

that would be pointless as new posters don't read the page they're on let alone a post 20 pages earlier, my vote is for something at the top of every page like a poll is
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby ender516 on Mon May 16, 2011 6:45 pm

If they don't read the page they are on, then something at the top won't help either, I guess. But we are getting off topic. I will try to learn if a page topper is even possible with the forum software, and then we can go from there.

Postby ViperOverLord on Wed May 18, 2011 10:18 pm

ender516 wrote:If they don't read the page they are on, then something at the top won't help either, I guess. But we are getting off topic. I will try to learn if a page topper is even possible with the forum software, and then we can go from there.

I respectfully disagree. I think that in time, many people would learn to look for official answers (at the top of the page). Of course, there's exceptions to every rule. Keep up the good work though. :ugeek:
High Score: #76 3053
Captain ViperOverLord

Postby ender516 on Wed May 18, 2011 11:00 pm

Thanks. I'm afraid, though, that from what I have read about the phpBB software, there is no easy way to put something at the top of each page. I suppose a phony poll could be created. In fact, a poll might be a place where users could note bugs that they have encountered themselves, or would like to see fixed first.

Postby Calidrmr on Thu May 19, 2011 10:31 am

ender516 wrote:Thanks. I'm afraid, though, that from what I have read about the phpBB software, there is no easy way to put something at the top of each page. I suppose a phony poll could be created. In fact, a poll might be a place where users could note bugs that they have encountered themselves, or would like to see fixed first.

that could work! should we talk off-line & come up with something?
<Juan_Bottom>You're like the Barry Bonds of drinking. You don't need the practice you just do it because you like it.
Corporal 1st Class Calidrmr

Postby ender516 on Thu May 19, 2011 11:39 am

Calidrmr wrote:
ender516 wrote:Thanks. I'm afraid, though, that from what I have read about the phpBB software, there is no easy way to put something at the top of each page. I suppose a phony poll could be created. In fact, a poll might be a place where users could note bugs that they have encountered themselves, or would like to see fixed first.

that could work! should we talk off-line & come up with something?

Yes, we should probably take this to PMs or another topic anyway. It's not really specific to Map Rank.

Postby bmusic on Thu May 19, 2011 12:58 pm

First off, LOVE Map Rank GL Rewired! :D

I don't know the details of the FF bug/change, but I do want to say I think that blaming FF for Map Rank breaking is a bit like passing the buck. I work in software and have to deal with interfacing with 3rd party code. If they make a legitimate change that is something I was depending on and that breaks my code, I might be a little upset, but it usually results in me going back to change my code. Even if it is an actual bug my client/audience may want or need a fix right away, so I'll need to code something up to deal with the problem, knowing I probably have to go back and changes thing again at a later date. BTW, Facebook is notorious for making these types of breaking changes with little or no notification.

That said, Map Rank is a volunteer project, a labour of love if you will, and the creator has no obligation to make a change to their product to get around a 3rd party change or bug. It is their product, and a far as I code isn't open source.

Am I a little put out that I have to use FF3 to access Map Rank? Yes.
Am I a little put out that the creator, for whatever (probably valid) reason, doesn't want to code around the issue? Yes.
Is it really that big a deal to use FF3? No
Am I willing to wait for the supposed bug fix in FF version X? Yes.

Again, I just want to say I LOVE Map Rank GL Rewired.
Cook bmusic

Postby ender516 on Thu May 19, 2011 6:56 pm

bmusic wrote:First off, LOVE Map Rank GL Rewired! :D

I don't know the details of the FF bug/change, but I do want to say I think that blaming FF for Map Rank breaking is a bit like passing the buck. I work in software and have to deal with interfacing with 3rd party code. If they make a legitimate change that is something I was depending on and that breaks my code, I might be a little upset, but it usually results in me going back to change my code. Even if it is an actual bug my client/audience may want or need a fix right away, so I'll need to code something up to deal with the problem, knowing I probably have to go back and changes thing again at a later date. BTW, Facebook is notorious for making these types of breaking changes with little or no notification.

That said, Map Rank is a volunteer project, a labour of love if you will, and the creator has no obligation to make a change to their product to get around a 3rd party change or bug. It is their product, and a far as I code isn't open source.

Am I a little put out that the creator, for whatever (probably valid) reason, doesn't want to code around the issue? Yes.

I too work in software, lo these thirty years, and I do understand your position, and would likely agree, were it not for the fact that this FF bug breaks the essential mechanism for Map Rank: adding elements through javascript to Popup windows does not work.
sherkaner wrote:background-information: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=637644
Judging from the last post, it looks like it will be resolved in FF5, and not before.. Expected date: 22 june.

Since BOB/Greasemonkey is a Javascript system, there is just no way that I can see that the Map Rank popup window can be populated under FF4 with all the delightful statistics we all crave and enjoy.

Postby chipv on Sun May 22, 2011 3:35 pm

bmusic wrote:First off, LOVE Map Rank GL Rewired! :D

This is actually quite ignorant and insulting simultaneously. You are making a judgement without actually knowing all the facts.

I don't know the details of the FF bug/change

If there was any way to code around this , it would have been done already, most people who have been around the site for long enough will tell you that.
Lieutenant chipv

Postby bmusic on Tue May 24, 2011 12:25 pm

Has anyone gotten this working withe Firefox 5 beta build?
Cook bmusic

Postby ender516 on Tue May 24, 2011 12:32 pm

There seems to be some activity on this front: viewtopic.php?f=526&t=141495&start=0#p3178491

Postby KingSVH on Wed May 25, 2011 2:45 pm

according to maprank i should have been awarded a gold standard and a gold crossmap medal, but i haven't received it, is this a CC error or a bug in map rank?
Private 1st Class KingSVH

Postby ender516 on Wed May 25, 2011 8:36 pm

Strange, when I run Map Rank on you, it shows me exactly the medals I see next to your post here. It says you are 2 away from the Gold Crossmap and 8 away from the Gold Standard.

Postby greenoaks on Wed May 25, 2011 8:56 pm

ender516 wrote:Strange, when I run Map Rank on you, it shows me exactly the medals I see next to your post here. It says you are 2 away from the Gold Crossmap and 8 away from the Gold Standard.

that is also what i got.

are you abe to post a screen shot of it KingSVH
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby KingSVH on Thu May 26, 2011 1:48 am

it's really strange

Postby SirSebstar on Thu May 26, 2011 3:00 am

lol, that is wierd indeed..
61 defeats?? for 3 gold crossmap where you have a silver crossmap in RL...

okay this is wierd.. i have a totally different layout when i do your name...
2 questions, what version of maprank and system are you playing on and just a question, but do you use the right name? for maprank?
Major SirSebstar

Location: SirSebstar is BACK. Highscore: Colonel Score: 2919 21/03/2011

Postby KingSVH on Thu May 26, 2011 3:09 am

of course i used the right name ;) (it even says so on the top: medal summary for KingSVH)

Browser: FF 3.6.17
Map Rank: 1.5.2

Postby chipv on Sat May 28, 2011 7:19 am

Map Rank fixed after latest site update.

It also works with FF5 Beta but FF4 appears not to have the same fixes.
Lieutenant chipv

Postby KingSVH on Sat May 28, 2011 7:51 am

how do you get your greasemonkey to work in FF5 beta? when i install it i get the warning that grease monkey isn't compatible

PreviousNext

Return to Tool Archives