Conquer Club

Help with Hotmail Filters

Archival storage to keep things organized and uncluttered. Can't find what you need? Search for old topics here.

Moderator: Tech Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Help with Hotmail Filters

Postby Philippe Lemay on Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:54 pm

I asked to get an email notification each time my turn comes up, which is cool because hotmail pings my desktop every time I get a new email. So so long as I am in the vicinity of my computer, I can get to playing my turn within seconds of it coming up. (I imagine I could also get it to work on my mobile when I eventually buy it... but we can discuss that later).

My main problem is that the conquerclub emails are really starting to clutter up my Hotmail inbox, especially when I have 4 games running. Now, I know there is some sort of feature where I can ask Hotmail "OK every time you receive an email from info@conqu​erclub.com, you just move that email into my "Games" folder." That way there's no mess, and all my conquerclub updates are neatly catalogued into a folder.

Problem is I can't find the damn filter feature that sorts the emails by sender. This page that I found here (http://www.webdevelopersnotes.com/tips/ ... otmail.php) says that you can find a feature "Automatically sort e-mail into folders" in the Customize your mail section in Advanced Options (which sounds like exactly what I'm looking for). I found the Customize your mail thing, but Automatically sort e-mail into folders is frustratingly non-existent.

From what I understand I am using the latest MSN hotmail messenger version, so what, they removed this in the last upgrade? Or just moved it somewhere else? Anyone who knows how I can get this to work, if you could please help me I would appreciate it very much.

EDIT: I took a screengrab of the Hotmail advanced options to show the lack of Automatically sort e-mail into folders.
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc42 ... having.png

EDIT2: And no, Filters and reporting option under Junkmail isn't what I'm looking for, that's more for dealing with and eliminating junkmail.
Corporal Philippe Lemay

Re: Help with Hotmail Filters

Postby ender516 on Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:51 pm

Look under "Manage rules". Many systems, including Hotmail and the private messages here on CC, use "rules" to determine what is done automatically with incoming mail.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby Philippe Lemay on Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:17 pm

Manage rules
You can set up rules to automatically handle messages as they come in. You can flag messages, move them to folders, set alerts for your mobile phone, and more.

Thank ye kindly.

EDIT:
Unfortunately, rules don't work with your language.

... What!?
Corporal Philippe Lemay

Postby ender516 on Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:01 pm

I'm not sure what that means. Perhaps Hotmail does not know how to deal with anything other than English/United States, English/Canada, English/United Kingdom, etc. Do you work in French? (Just guessing based on your name.)

Postby Philippe Lemay on Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:46 am

I'm running a Windows XP that's stuck on French for some reason, that might be it. But all my web browsers are in good ol' English.

What's weird is that the filter works for other sources, I got it to shift my iTunes news over into the Apple folder, but it doesn't work for Conquer Club...
Corporal Philippe Lemay

Postby ender516 on Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:19 pm

All I can suggest is finding a way to get unstuck and switch to English. Do you know how to do that from the Control Panel? Or is that what's stuck?

Postby Philippe Lemay on Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:11 pm

I got an entirely new computer, this one running on Windows 7, and FULLY in English this time. And yet... still the exact same thing as before.

Unfortunately, rules don't work with your language.

It seems to be a problem in Hotmail, and, again... only for ConquerClub.
Corporal Philippe Lemay

Postby ender516 on Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:22 am

So, you have found the Options Menu in the upper right corner of the Hotmail screen? Under it, I find, at the bottom, More Options... This leads to a new screen with six headings: Managing your account, Writing email, Reading email, Prevent junk email, Customizing Hotmail, and Customizing your contacts. Under Customizing Hotmail, there is an entry, "Rules for sorting new messages". In there, you should be able to set up a rule moving all mail from info@conquerclub.com to a special folder.

You say you have your Itunes mail doing this sort of thing. Is this how you did that?

The only other things I can suggest are
  • using an email program (like Outlook Express, Windows Mail, or Eudora) to receive and manage your Hotmail mail
  • setting up a separate Hotmail address for Conquer Club only

Return to Tool Archives