Conquer Club

Tools to track location (see through fog of war)?

Archival storage to keep things organized and uncluttered. Can't find what you need? Search for old topics here.

Moderator: Tech Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Tools to track location (see through fog of war)?

Postby Andir on Wed May 06, 2009 6:41 pm

I was curious if there have been reports of add-on scripts or tools that can see through the fog of war or record the last known locations of players...

I was recently taken out of a game. I had one territory left in the middle of a teammate's territory. The player that took me out made a bee-line for the exact spot I was in. It was a very complex map with 96 territories and it would have been nearly impossible to remember my exact locations. I know of a few add-ons like BOB which I use myself, but if there's one that allows you to store past player locations, it would definitely give an advantage in FOW maps. If it exists, I'd love to even the playing field if you have a link. ;)

I'm not calling anyone out on it yet, but I found it quite odd that he knew the quickest path to my exact location.
Sergeant 1st Class Andir

Re: Tools to track location (see through fog of war)?

Postby Night Strike on Wed May 06, 2009 6:45 pm

Moved to Plugins forum.

There are no plugins that let you see through the fog. And if there were, I'm sure they'd be banned from use.
Major Night Strike

Postby Andir on Wed May 06, 2009 6:49 pm

But there really isn't way to track it unless someone does what the above mentioned player did to me repetitively.

I wasn't really requesting a plug-in. I was trying to find out if someone had the same experiences.
Sergeant 1st Class Andir

Postby hwhrhett on Wed May 06, 2009 6:54 pm

bob takes snapshots, alot of people use them extensively for fow games.....
Cook hwhrhett

Postby phantomzero on Wed May 06, 2009 6:58 pm

If you're playing FOW, you need to read the log very carefully and as hwhrhett said, you can also check the snapshots.

Certain territories can also give your position away, such as the villages in Feudal War.
Sergeant 1st Class phantomzero

Postby Andir on Wed May 06, 2009 7:01 pm

Hmm, didn't know about snapshots. I did find an add-on called handy game history that apparently used to let you replay a map, which would have been helpful, but it seems to no longer work.
Sergeant 1st Class Andir

Postby Georgerx7di on Wed May 06, 2009 9:35 pm

Also he could have just written one of those "note to self" things if he had seen you before. I think in certain situation there are ways to deduce where some one might. Some people are better at it than others I think.
Major Georgerx7di

Postby lancehoch on Thu May 07, 2009 12:43 am

I am assuming that you are talking about the game on Battle of Actium. There are a few things to remember, he can see all of the territories that he owns and his teammates own. He can also see the territories that border any of those previous territories. That team also has/had more than half of the territories on the board. By attacking certain territories, he may have expanded his view such that he could see most of what was left. Also, it is a good guess that if you only have one territory left, you are neighboring your teammate.
Sergeant lancehoch

Postby BaldAdonis on Thu May 07, 2009 2:24 am

Night Strike wrote:I'm sure they'd be banned from use.
This is very amusing. Aside from the problems of controlling user-end scripts (which we know can't/won't be dealt with, otherwise we wouldn't have the current conqueror around), what the OP is asking for seems to be completely legitimate. He just wants a script that will record everything he can see, and replay it back to him on demand. He can get the same information by recording what he sees after every player's turn, which anyone can do right now. It just hasn't been automated.

Andir wrote:Hmm, didn't know about snapshots. I did find an add-on called handy game history that apparently used to let you replay a map, which would have been helpful, but it seems to no longer work.
It works, but only when the game is sunny, or completed. It relies on the current (or final) board position, and recreates the game based on the log. Since your opponents' moves are hidden by the log, it won't work in the middle of a foggy game.
Captain BaldAdonis

Postby Andir on Thu May 07, 2009 6:27 am

lancehoch wrote:I am assuming that you are talking about the game on Battle of Actium. There are a few things to remember, he can see all of the territories that he owns and his teammates own. He can also see the territories that border any of those previous territories. That team also has/had more than half of the territories on the board. By attacking certain territories, he may have expanded his view such that he could see most of what was left. Also, it is a good guess that if you only have one territory left, you are neighboring your teammate.

I have BOB. I checked the line of site from my last territory and it didn't line up with any of his or his team's owned territories. (My last guy was in Aken if it matters.) I fully understand that he could see me because of Red in Cupid, Jove, Lares, and Juno. I figured it might have been possible that he saw me up there during the game. I think he had units in Cleopatra, but the speed at which he took out my lower territories, then beelined up the middle of the fog to take out my last one made me think he knew exactly where I was. My first thought is that he had some kind of "FOW Tool" that recorded known territories and gave a visual representation of where other people used to be. I simply wanted in on that action. ;) I've been thinking about it a lot and was trying to figure out if it was possible to do it since I do a lot of Javascript programming for work.

I got the add-on for handy game history and it has a bad path for the map XML, so I don't know how you get it to work. I fiddled with it a little bit, but I ran into a security restriction due to the fact that the maps moved from www.conquerclub.com/maps/ to maps.conquerclub.com (at least from the code and the redirect 302 code the old location gives me.) Since the domain is different, it's up against a security restriction.
Sergeant 1st Class Andir

Return to Tool Archives