Conquer Club

New Notifier: 'Tell Me When'

Archival storage to keep things organized and uncluttered. Can't find what you need? Search for old topics here.

Moderator: Tech Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby Ender1984 on Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:19 pm

What should I use as the URL to check? The same thing Fantius put in the original post? Or does the id number specify the player? I can't find a player id number anywhere ...
Cadet Ender1984

Postby Fantius on Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:24 pm

In the example I used, I am checking my Conquer Club RSS feed. It sounds like you want to do the same thing. You can see your user id by looking at the number in the URL while you are viewing your profile (yours is 21522).
Sergeant Fantius

Postby gator24 on Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:18 pm

Lack can you validate this claim before i try it? It would be a great help. i hate staring at my computer doing nothing when i could acomplish things around the house.
no one knows the poison of the viper until they are in it's grasp.
Corporal 1st Class gator24

Postby tals on Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:31 am

gator24 wrote:Lack can you validate this claim before i try it? It would be a great help. i hate staring at my computer doing nothing when i could acomplish things around the house.

I don't think any of the add on products have been 'validated'. That said as Lack did make an accusation earlier in the thread he should reply to fantius's response. It's a very good add on IMHO.

Tals
Sergeant tals

Postby Fantius on Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:13 am

I made some changes to this notifier to allow me to easily check my game status from my cell phone while I was out of my normal routine over Christmas. It can now send you an email with the subject line containing how many times the pattern was found (how many games are waiting for you to take your turn).

Then I setup my gmail account to put a special label on those messages, and created a bookmark in my cell phone to take me straight to messages with that label on them. The result is that I can now see how many CC games require my attention within 40 seconds of opening my cell phone (the initial web connect takes most of that).

The new version is hosted here (different than where it was hosted before):

http://fantius.com/TellMeWhen.exe
Sergeant Fantius

Postby Fantius on Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:27 am

Oh, and it also tells you how many games are ready by the appearance of the tray icon. Digits 1-9 are superimposed over the icon to denote how many times the pattern was found ("9" means "nine or more").

And an unrelated note: While your SMTP password can be saved along with the other settings, it is not encrypted before is is saved. That's why I provided the option to allow you to choose to save it or not save it.
Sergeant Fantius

Postby Fantius on Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:44 pm

In case anyone wants to do the same thing, here is the URL I used on my RAZR phone with Verizon service to get directly to my gmail messages that are labeled "TellMeWhen":

http://mail.google.com/mail/x/?s=l&l=tellmewhen
Sergeant Fantius

Postby gator24 on Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:58 pm

thanks Tals....... read what lack said. that is why i posted. if Lack says cool then cool if he has doubts then there are doubts.
no one knows the poison of the viper until they are in it's grasp.
Corporal 1st Class gator24

Postby tals on Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:38 pm

Fantius wrote:Oh, and it also tells you how many games are ready by the appearance of the tray icon. Digits 1-9 are superimposed over the icon to denote how many times the pattern was found ("9" means "nine or more").

And an unrelated note: While your SMTP password can be saved along with the other settings, it is not encrypted before is is saved. That's why I provided the option to allow you to choose to save it or not save it.

New update is great Fantius - I love the number superimposing over the tray icon. Nice work. Great add on.

Tals
Sergeant tals

Postby Fantius on Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:41 pm

gator24,
I agree, it would be nice if Lack would respond to my defense of his allegation -- either drop the charge or tell me how others (including myself) can verify what he saw.
Sergeant Fantius

Postby lackattack on Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:34 pm

Sorry, I will finish my review asap.
Sergeant lackattack

Postby Fantius on Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:16 am

I just uploaded a new version to the same place (http://fantius.com/TellMeWhen.exe)

Changes include
1. A special icon to indicate that an error has occured (for instance if it is unable to connect to the URL that it is supposed to monitor).
2. The ability to enable/disable the monitoring.
3. Tray icon context menu items to control the enable/disable and to initiate an immediate check.
Sergeant Fantius

Postby Fantius on Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:31 pm

The "autoconfigure for ConquerClub" option is now based on the username instead of the userid.
Sergeant Fantius

Postby Nous-irons on Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:52 pm

Guess we Linux users are out of luck. :p
Sergeant Nous-irons

Postby lackattack on Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:59 am

Fantius, I'm sorry for dragging my feet on this. I reviewed the latest version and it's a great tool.

It still contacts an IP address on the DNS port upon launch. It seems to be the most recent IP my computer hit, as if it wanted to know "referral url". Could be a "feature" of the .Net infrastructure you use.

Anyways, I don't think it's doing anything malicious and I'm adding TellMeWhen to our list :D

Thanks for sharing it with the CC community!
Sergeant lackattack

Postby Largaroth on Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:21 am

Yeah, good stuff :D
Cadet Largaroth

Postby Snow on Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:55 am

Fantius

This is a great tool :D ... I used to log in 5 or 6 times a day. I still do but atleast I now know exactly when to go and play! (BTW - This is a great game... thanks lackattack and everybody else!)

Anyway, back to my suggestion... Fantius, is it possible for you to add a feature to "TellMeWhen" that lets us know what the elapsed time is for each game? It would be great to know which game I should play in first based on when the 24hrs would lapse.

Someone, somewhere must have experienced a time when one of their game times lapsed while they were busy with another game?

Anyway, I have not read the entire thread so I do not know if someone has already recommended this but I think it will be a great addition to "TellMeWhen".
Private 1st Class Snow

Postby Fantius on Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:47 am

This would require that Lack add that information to the RSS feed. I have requested it before (at http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=166411).
Sergeant Fantius

Postby Snow on Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:48 am

I'll post there then...

I'm sure it won't be a big thing to implement in the RSS Feed?
Know your enemy better than you know yourself.
Know your freind as if he were your enemy.
Now conquer them both!
Private 1st Class Snow

Postby ^SilentStrike on Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:23 pm

if I may suggest something Fantius! I think its great, but what I hate, is that it always stays open. I'll try and be clearer. if I minimize, hurray, I don't see window no more, but its only a small menu bar now at bottom, hidden. what would be more practical, I think, is that you should be able to close the window, but keep it running. like limewire and those kinda things. if you don't understand, plz tell me :P
Captain ^SilentStrike

Postby ^SilentStrike on Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:31 pm

ok, to make it more clear. I noticed that we minimize to tray, not "exit" to tray, therefore, its always active in Alt-Tab for some reason. after that, if you select it thrue alt-tab, it won't properly minimize to tray! (check it out, unless its just me -_-) so my suggestion, is make the minimize button like usual, give a "exit" to tray, and then a right-click on icon and "quit" to really quit application. I dunno, its just annoying to see its in the alt-tab selection, and may solve that little glitch..!?
Captain ^SilentStrike

Postby siberiancygnus on Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:36 am

is there a way to start the program automatically when i turn on my pc instead of having to do it manually ?

great program btw
Private 1st Class siberiancygnus

Postby Fantius on Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:37 pm

Of course. Like any program, you can put a shortcut to it in your startup folder (under Start->Programs->Startup).
Sergeant Fantius

Postby siberiancygnus on Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:24 pm

marvellous , tyvm :)
Private 1st Class siberiancygnus

Postby Nihilx on Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:44 pm

I'm having issues linking to the notifier exe. IE keeps giving me error messages and closing down.

edit: Nevermind. I switched to Firefox and had no issues.
Corporal Nihilx

Next

Return to Tool Archives