Conquer Club

New Notifier: 'Tell Me When'

Archival storage to keep things organized and uncluttered. Can't find what you need? Search for old topics here.

Moderator: Tech Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby lackattack on Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:34 pm

Sorry, I will finish my review asap.
Sergeant lackattack

Postby Fantius on Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:16 am

I just uploaded a new version to the same place (http://fantius.com/TellMeWhen.exe)

Changes include
1. A special icon to indicate that an error has occured (for instance if it is unable to connect to the URL that it is supposed to monitor).
2. The ability to enable/disable the monitoring.
3. Tray icon context menu items to control the enable/disable and to initiate an immediate check.
Sergeant Fantius

Postby Fantius on Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:31 pm

The "autoconfigure for ConquerClub" option is now based on the username instead of the userid.
Sergeant Fantius

Postby Nous-irons on Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:52 pm

Guess we Linux users are out of luck. :p
Sergeant Nous-irons

Postby lackattack on Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:59 am

Fantius, I'm sorry for dragging my feet on this. I reviewed the latest version and it's a great tool.

It still contacts an IP address on the DNS port upon launch. It seems to be the most recent IP my computer hit, as if it wanted to know "referral url". Could be a "feature" of the .Net infrastructure you use.

Anyways, I don't think it's doing anything malicious and I'm adding TellMeWhen to our list :D

Thanks for sharing it with the CC community!
Sergeant lackattack

Postby Largaroth on Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:21 am

Yeah, good stuff :D
Cadet Largaroth

Postby Snow on Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:55 am

Fantius

This is a great tool :D ... I used to log in 5 or 6 times a day. I still do but atleast I now know exactly when to go and play! (BTW - This is a great game... thanks lackattack and everybody else!)

Anyway, back to my suggestion... Fantius, is it possible for you to add a feature to "TellMeWhen" that lets us know what the elapsed time is for each game? It would be great to know which game I should play in first based on when the 24hrs would lapse.

Someone, somewhere must have experienced a time when one of their game times lapsed while they were busy with another game?

Anyway, I have not read the entire thread so I do not know if someone has already recommended this but I think it will be a great addition to "TellMeWhen".
Private 1st Class Snow

Postby Fantius on Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:47 am

This would require that Lack add that information to the RSS feed. I have requested it before (at http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=166411).
Sergeant Fantius

Postby Snow on Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:48 am

I'll post there then...

I'm sure it won't be a big thing to implement in the RSS Feed?
Know your enemy better than you know yourself.
Know your freind as if he were your enemy.
Now conquer them both!
Private 1st Class Snow

Postby ^SilentStrike on Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:23 pm

if I may suggest something Fantius! I think its great, but what I hate, is that it always stays open. I'll try and be clearer. if I minimize, hurray, I don't see window no more, but its only a small menu bar now at bottom, hidden. what would be more practical, I think, is that you should be able to close the window, but keep it running. like limewire and those kinda things. if you don't understand, plz tell me :P
Captain ^SilentStrike

Postby ^SilentStrike on Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:31 pm

ok, to make it more clear. I noticed that we minimize to tray, not "exit" to tray, therefore, its always active in Alt-Tab for some reason. after that, if you select it thrue alt-tab, it won't properly minimize to tray! (check it out, unless its just me -_-) so my suggestion, is make the minimize button like usual, give a "exit" to tray, and then a right-click on icon and "quit" to really quit application. I dunno, its just annoying to see its in the alt-tab selection, and may solve that little glitch..!?
Captain ^SilentStrike

Postby siberiancygnus on Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:36 am

is there a way to start the program automatically when i turn on my pc instead of having to do it manually ?

great program btw
Private 1st Class siberiancygnus

Postby Fantius on Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:37 pm

Of course. Like any program, you can put a shortcut to it in your startup folder (under Start->Programs->Startup).
Sergeant Fantius

Postby siberiancygnus on Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:24 pm

marvellous , tyvm :)
Private 1st Class siberiancygnus

Postby Nihilx on Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:44 pm

I'm having issues linking to the notifier exe. IE keeps giving me error messages and closing down.

edit: Nevermind. I switched to Firefox and had no issues.
Corporal Nihilx

Comment

Postby Xayath on Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:48 pm

Loving the idea, kudos kudos and what not

seconding the exit to tray idea (silent i got the same alt-tab oddity)

maybe a user-customisible sound thingy would help. Example would be in Yahoo Instant you can change the im notify sound to what ever. that might help. speaking of ims is there a way for it to notify using ims?? otherwise i like this (program, utility, add-on, whatchamadojit) great job.
-The Whispered of Spamalot
Private Xayath

Postby ^SilentStrike on Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:26 am

oh, and btw, sry for being so impolite..! I love this util, and I took notes on that startup thing :P I was looking for it too, haha, anyways, great util even though I'm a bit picky about that tab thingy described above ;)
Captain ^SilentStrike

Postby Fantius on Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:17 pm

I looked into the alt-tab issue briefly and unsuccessfully. I'll give it another shot and add the sound option, too. No promises on when.
Sergeant Fantius

Postby Fantius on Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:05 pm

Alright, a new version is up. It has the alt-tab issue fixed and has the sound feature added.

http://fantius.com/TellMeWhen.exe
Sergeant Fantius

Postby ^SilentStrike on Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:06 am

wow, well done. except that now I have one problem (always because I'm so picky..!) the newer version is awesome (thx for alt-tab) but, I was wondering why does the tellmewhen.exe only work properly if its in "My Documents" or on my "Desktop" ? I'm just curious ;P but this is really nothing. and thx again..! I really apreciate what you did ;)
Captain ^SilentStrike

Postby Fantius on Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:24 am

I don't know what you mean by "work properly." What happenes when it is not in those locations? Due to the way the settings are saved, each place you run it from will have it's own set of saved settings. So you should be able to run it from anywhere but whatever place you chose, you'll want to keep running it from that place so that you don't lose your settings.
Sergeant Fantius

Postby ^SilentStrike on Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:57 pm

awright, I'll give you a "step-by-step" of what I'm encountering. For this exemple, tellmewhen.exe is in "C:/Program Files/Tell Me When"

first off, I open the program for first time, and this happens (I think thats normal for "first boot" ;) )

secondly, I open the program, and its red characters 8-) :P (still think its normal since it ain't set up right yet)

then, I go in the Monitor tab, and change my settings, go back to status tab, click "check now" and it gives me this error, and I think basically thats the only problem in all of this, but just to make sure I put all 3.. :P

there ya go, hope this clears it up a little. and as I said, desktop and my documents work. and the old version used to work in "program files" too.
Last edited by ^SilentStrike on Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Captain ^SilentStrike

Postby Fantius on Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:38 pm

You should not be seeing any of those error messages. My guess is that the config file that it is using when you run from that location has become corrupt. I don't know how that happens, but at least one other use has also had it happen. If you really want to run from that location, you can try to track down the config file that it is using and delete it. It will then be recreated the next time you run the app. I think the config files will be stored in

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\TellMeWhen

... assuming the current user is "Administrator"
Sergeant Fantius

Postby ^SilentStrike on Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:30 am

Great, thx, it worked, and yes, I really wanted it there, I think you're starting to notice I'm really picky ;P thanks alot mate :D
Captain ^SilentStrike

Postby iWin on Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:54 pm

I just discovered your program and this is exactly what I've needed for a long time. I was using the RSS bookmark in FF before and I would waste much of my day checking if it had changed. Thank You for programming this.

I just had a problem with the config file, decided I would move the program after I used it. I have much experience with little utilities like this that use a single config file so I knew what the problem was.

I noticed something odd though, I don't know if you did this for a reason or not but there were two folders with config files. Both folders had a different string of numbers, (which I believe represent different locations). I'm assuming it is so you can run two at the same time or something like that.

Anyways what I would like to know is why you decided to create new config files instead of using a single one?
Private 1st Class iWin

PreviousNext

Return to Tool Archives