Conquer Club

Will having good risk experience help here or is there more?

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Will having good risk experience help here or is there more?

Postby RedBullNation on Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:33 am

I've played risk for a pretty good amount of time in my life. Other than the maps, is there anything gameplaywise that I need to know?
Borogh Boys ain't nothing to f*** with!
Soy del METRO!
Soy del METRO!
Del metro soy yo!

Best Football Game I've Ever Seen
Private 1st Class RedBullNation

Postby lozzini on Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:38 am

to be fair i thought i was good at risk.... until i joined this

if you think about it this is really the creme de la creme of risk players because rubbish players won't want to play even more risk, so if you think your good you may just realise your not brilliant here... i did
Top Rank: Captain
Top Score: 1835
Top Pos: 1707
Nothing ventured... nothing gained
Sergeant 1st Class lozzini

Postby PLAYER57832 on Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:41 am

Read the "legend" (chart explaining bonuses, etc.) for each map.

Some are more or less like the original Risk, but with different structures (including even such unusually shaped maps such as Crossword, Chinese checkers, and Congress). Others, such as the Age of Realms set, Age of Merchants,etc. have entirely different strategies. Then you have the group I just call "complex" -- D-Day, Pearl Harbor and Waterloo, for example -- that have a mish mash of varied bonuses, tricky ways of attacking, AND structures all their own.

Does playing Risk help .. certainly. At a minimum, you know how attacking and defense work. Beyond that, it just depends on the map.

Hope that helps?
Corporal PLAYER57832

Re: Will having good risk experience help here or is there m

Postby alex_white101 on Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:42 am

RedBullNation wrote:I've played risk for a pretty good amount of time in my life. Other than the maps, is there anything gameplaywise that I need to know?

it is very different to risk, there are alot of different strategies and ways of playing. I think you just have to play and get used to it and you will soon progress up the leaderboard....
''Many a true word is spoken in jest''
Corporal 1st Class alex_white101

Postby RedBullNation on Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:42 am

PLAYER57832 wrote:Read the "legend" (chart explaining bonuses, etc.) for each map.

Some are more or less like the original Risk, but with different structures (including even such unusually shaped maps such as Crossword, Chinese checkers, and Congress). Others, such as the Age of Realms set, Age of Merchants,etc. have entirely different strategies. Then you have the group I just call "complex" -- D-Day, Pearl Harbor and Waterloo, for example -- that have a mish mash of varied bonuses, tricky ways of attacking, AND structures all their own.

Does playing Risk help .. certainly. At a minimum, you know how attacking and defense work. Beyond that, it just depends on the map.

Hope that helps?
Then I just took a look at Doodle Earth. Holy shit!

Thanks.
Borogh Boys ain't nothing to f*** with!
Soy del METRO!
Soy del METRO!
Del metro soy yo!

Best Football Game I've Ever Seen
Private 1st Class RedBullNation

Postby PLAYER57832 on Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:37 pm

Some folks have posted strategies for individual maps here. They may not always be the very BEST ideas, but they are generally good ones and a decent place to start at least.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby wcaclimbing on Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:16 am

lozzini wrote:to be fair i thought i was good at risk.... until i joined this

Same thing for me.

Get to know the site and learn some new maps. eventually you will find good strategies that work there that might not work on the board game. Its different, so be careful, but with practice it can get easier.
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Postby JACKAZZTJM on Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:31 am

Do you guys think playing on the site has made you better on the board?
JACKAZZTJM› yea off to myspace a depressing social networking site with no social interaction! thats y i like cc at least u gotta use ur mind to hang on here!
Corporal 1st Class JACKAZZTJM

Postby wcaclimbing on Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:46 am

JACKAZZTJM wrote:Do you guys think playing on the site has made you better on the board?

quite the opposite for me, actually.

A lot of the strategies that work here get me screwed on the board.

Mostly because on the board, 10 armies looks pretty intense cause of the size of the pile of armies you have. Here, a 10 looks much safer cause its just a number, not a big pile of armies on the board.
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Postby MeDeFe on Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:31 am

wcaclimbing wrote:
JACKAZZTJM wrote:Do you guys think playing on the site has made you better on the board?

quite the opposite for me, actually.

A lot of the strategies that work here get me screwed on the board.

Mostly because on the board, 10 armies looks pretty intense cause of the size of the pile of armies you have. Here, a 10 looks much safer cause its just a number, not a big pile of armies on the board.

Yeah, and when you're sitting around a board you can't play safe and go into build mode the way you can do here. Don't be surprised if a standard game you're in goes on for over 100 rounds.
saxitoxin wrote:Your position is more complex than the federal tax code. As soon as I think I understand it, I find another index of cross-references, exceptions and amendments I have to apply.
Timminz wrote:Yo mama is so classless, she could be a Marxist utopia.
Major MeDeFe

Location: Follow the trail of holes in other people's arguments.

Return to Conquer Club Discussion