Conquer Club

world 2.1

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Re: world 2.1

Postby the.killing.44 on Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:07 pm

waradmiral wrote:My Strategy

Take Oceania and do not let go of it. Its easily defensible and you can pop up all over the map to suppress your enemies.

Oceania is the worst continent to feasibly hold (I say this because of Asiaā€”I mean, c'mon). South America, North America, Africa, and Europe are all better, in that order.
Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby medgar20 on Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:22 pm

the.killing.44 wrote:

Take Oceania and do not let go of it. Its easily defensible and you can pop up all over the map to suppress your enemies.

Oceania is the worst continent to feasibly hold (I say this because of Asiaā€”I mean, c'mon). South America, North America, Africa, and Europe are all better, in that order.

Agreed. It's not awful and on the plus side you rarely get competition for it once Australia is secured but unless Asia (or perhaps more specifically China) is held in addition it's far too easy to drop into a weak midgame position. It just can't expand anywhere else without leaving a stretched line of territories to defend.
Colonel medgar20

Postby natty dread on Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:11 pm

Hello, I've not played very many games, but here's what I've gathered about playing 2.1 esc freestyle unlimited, 3-6 players:

The usual escalating tactic everyone knows, the chain reaction of killing and cashing cards... needs some alteration on 2.1. The map is so big, the bonuses are so big, that card cashes won't come into play for a long time. You can still pull off the chain reaction, but you need to time it perfectly.

While waiting for that time, you build your assets, try to grab as much territory and continents as you can. But don't spread yourself too thin, so it's too easy to break your bonuses. It's a delicate balance. Use your drop as your advantage, even if you get a bad drop, make the most you can from it.

Then, when you have a steady foothold and a steady income of troops, start harassing on your opponents. Break a bonus here, take a territory there.

As the time comes near, you pick the best target, and start preparing in advance for the slaughter. Position some troops strategically, but don't be too obvious. Do it subtly. Throw smoke, make your opponents think you're after someone else than you're really after.

Wait for it... wait for it... and bang!

You might not be able to sweep the whole board in one turn. It doesn't matter, just weaken the leftover opponent(s) enough so that you can get them the next turn. Beware, if any have 3 or more cards, they could have a set. Take precaution. Don't waste all your troops trying to take them out, if it starts to seem like you can't do it.

It could even take more than 2 turns. Ie. you kill the first one on 1 turn, reinforce to attack the next guy with the troops you got, then take the next guy on the next turn, go on to sweep most of the board, again reinforce/deploy in the right places, and on the 3rd turn you finish the job.

One more thing, with so many territories in the map, you really need to work out your attack routes in advance, that is, before you deploy. Otherwise you may find yourself in a situation where you would have had enough troops, but you end up advancing yourself into a corner...

The most important advice: THINK before you act!

Sorry if this is off topic because of the escalating thing, I'll play some flat rate 2.1 soon, I'll let you know what I think about it after.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby AAFitz on Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:48 pm

natty_dread wrote:Hello, I've not played very many games, but here's what I've gathered about playing 2.1 esc freestyle unlimited, 3-6 players:

The usual escalating tactic everyone knows, the chain reaction of killing and cashing cards... needs some alteration on 2.1. The map is so big, the bonuses are so big, that card cashes won't come into play for a long time. You can still pull off the chain reaction, but you need to time it perfectly.

While waiting for that time, you build your assets, try to grab as much territory and continents as you can. But don't spread yourself too thin, so it's too easy to break your bonuses. It's a delicate balance. Use your drop as your advantage, even if you get a bad drop, make the most you can from it.

Then, when you have a steady foothold and a steady income of troops, start harassing on your opponents. Break a bonus here, take a territory there.

As the time comes near, you pick the best target, and start preparing in advance for the slaughter. Position some troops strategically, but don't be too obvious. Do it subtly. Throw smoke, make your opponents think you're after someone else than you're really after.

Wait for it... wait for it... and bang!

You might not be able to sweep the whole board in one turn. It doesn't matter, just weaken the leftover opponent(s) enough so that you can get them the next turn. Beware, if any have 3 or more cards, they could have a set. Take precaution. Don't waste all your troops trying to take them out, if it starts to seem like you can't do it.

It could even take more than 2 turns. Ie. you kill the first one on 1 turn, reinforce to attack the next guy with the troops you got, then take the next guy on the next turn, go on to sweep most of the board, again reinforce/deploy in the right places, and on the 3rd turn you finish the job.

One more thing, with so many territories in the map, you really need to work out your attack routes in advance, that is, before you deploy. Otherwise you may find yourself in a situation where you would have had enough troops, but you end up advancing yourself into a corner...

The most important advice: THINK before you act!

Sorry if this is off topic because of the escalating thing, I'll play some flat rate 2.1 soon, I'll let you know what I think about it after.

This is fairly in depth considering the 3 games youve played on world. Its on the generic side, but its all sound advice. It will be interesting to see how your CC career develops.
I'm Spanking Monkey now....err...I mean I'm a Spanking Monkey now...that shoots milk
Too much. I know.
Sergeant 1st Class AAFitz

Postby Mr Changsha on Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:52 pm

medgar20 wrote:
the.killing.44 wrote:

Agreed. It's not awful and on the plus side you rarely get competition for it once Australia is secured but unless Asia (or perhaps more specifically China) is held in addition it's far too easy to drop into a weak midgame position. It just can't expand anywhere else without leaving a stretched line of territories to defend.

Oceana's usefulness depends largely on whether a player is playing asia, how far progressed they are compared to you in oceana and (very importantly) how experienced/able the chap in Asia is. Finally, is the Asia player intending to head south, or will they spread east or west?

Assuming the asia player is reasonably passive towards you and gives you time to get in and settled (as sometimes happens) then oceana is a great spot to hang in there for the long game. The 14 deployment is usually enough to just about stay competitive on your borders (assuming there is no great threat from the claims and you can lay most of it towards China). However, if the Asia player is determined to head south, as he arguably should, then the oceana player must fight down to the last freakin' man (or at least appear willing to ;) ) in an attempt to deplete asia enough to allow the middle east , europe or NA to create the war on two fronts against asia.

Assuming Asia can be defeated, the Ocena/China/India/Russia expansion is absolutely lethal in the right hands..minimal borders and massive deployment. However, the alternative is to make peace with Asia and spread into either SA or South Africa in the mid-game, which I have seen work well and have even done it myself on occasion.

Conclusion: Happy to play there, quite a good spot to swoop for the late win from, but always the possibilty that you might get an early exit at the hands of Asia.
Colonel Mr Changsha

Postby natty dread on Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:52 am

AAFitz wrote:This is fairly in depth considering the 3 games youve played on world. Its on the generic side, but its all sound advice. It will be interesting to see how your CC career develops.

Hehe, thanks. I know I haven't played lots on the map... I've noticed a few players say that they just instantly "got" the 2.1 map when they first played it. I guess I'm one of those people... there's just something about that map. It "speaks" to me... ;)

Actually it's a very straightforward map, it's just very very big. Most of the advice that applies on classic map applies on 2.1. With some exceptions.
Last edited by natty dread on Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby Baron Von PWN on Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:12 am

It would seem to me that the more players on the map the more important continental bonuses, due to the extra competition for territory. I think this would be especialy true for games without spoils or flat rate. I also think that If there is FOW then continents become more valuable. Am I way of here? I've played many diferent strategy games but I'm pretty new to CC.
Sergeant 1st Class Baron Von PWN

Postby medgar20 on Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:17 am

Mr Changsha wrote:Oceana's usefulness depends largely on whether a player is playing asia, how far progressed they are compared to you in oceana and (very importantly) how experienced/able the chap in Asia is. Finally, is the Asia player intending to head south, or will they spread east or west?

Assuming the asia player is reasonably passive towards you and gives you time to get in and settled (as sometimes happens) then oceana is a great spot to hang in there for the long game. The 14 deployment is usually enough to just about stay competitive on your borders (assuming there is no great threat from the claims and you can lay most of it towards China). However, if the Asia player is determined to head south, as he arguably should, then the oceana player must fight down to the last freakin' man (or at least appear willing to ;) ) in an attempt to deplete asia enough to allow the middle east , europe or NA to create the war on two fronts against asia.

Assuming Asia can be defeated, the Ocena/China/India/Russia expansion is absolutely lethal in the right hands..minimal borders and massive deployment. However, the alternative is to make peace with Asia and spread into either SA or South Africa in the mid-game, which I have seen work well and have even done it myself on occasion.

Conclusion: Happy to play there, quite a good spot to swoop for the late win from, but always the possibilty that you might get an early exit at the hands of Asia.

Aye, peace with Asia is something I forgot to mention, that's definitely viable. Agree with the rest, especially the Asia/Oceania combo.

Ultimately though I just don't think Oceania offers anything uniquely good which is its main problem. All the other continents carry very similar options and benefits, but fewer flaws - they generally aren't dependent on the skill of one opposing player which you alluded to. Against a strong player getting a foothold in Asia it suddenly becomes very weak in comparison to other areas.
Colonel medgar20

Postby Crazyirishman on Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:10 pm

I like Africa because in a sense it is the ugly beaten stepchild of the continents. Due to its size most players don't put up a fight in Africa unless they think they can take the continent, so when playing fog its rather easy to take but difficult to expand. If you manage to take the continent then you have to cihp away at the surrounding areas. But if you get broken, you'll spend 10-15 rounds waiting to die in a flat rate no spoils game.
Captain Crazyirishman

Postby Zivel on Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:57 am

What do you do when you are late to asia and Oceania has a foothold already and then turtles and becomes to big to take out?
Game Click Here

Also when you are the big boy and you have all the power, how do you assert your dominance and take the game. Using BoB whats the best amount of troops to have over the opposition to successfully make the kill? Usually it comes down to three and by that time I seem to have trouble finishing the game off.... Do I just work on one guy and kill him off to make it a two v two or do I try and take them down together?
Sergeant Zivel

Postby Mr Changsha on Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:41 am

Zivel wrote:What do you do when you are late to asia and Oceania has a foothold already and then turtles and becomes to big to take out?
Game Click Here

Also when you are the big boy and you have all the power, how do you assert your dominance and take the game. Using BoB whats the best amount of troops to have over the opposition to successfully make the kill? Usually it comes down to three and by that time I seem to have trouble finishing the game off.... Do I just work on one guy and kill him off to make it a two v two or do I try and take them down together?

I think the silver major is going to take your overspread arse out within a few rounds, especially if you have a front opened on you from the other side. You don't need BOB to tell you that you are outmanned and outgunned (judging by how many oceana has on the frontlines).

One word: Trouble.

With regards to your second question it depends on the position...however, I've always been a fan of getting to 45% troops/territories and then laying the smack on the remaining players in an attempt to get to 55-60% after the move. Remember that if you can reduce all your opponents deployment to the minimum, while hugely increasing your own deployment, then it is possible to turn a five man into a one man over a few rounds.
Colonel Mr Changsha

Postby Zivel on Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:09 am

Mr Changsha wrote:
One word: Trouble.

Lol I get bored, guess I better pull back and shore up those front lines in Asia some more. Bloody build games :oops:
Sergeant Zivel

Postby cyberjock1 on Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:41 pm

I'm having quite the go at this....that and realizing i suck as bad at this game as i did back in the old risk boardgame days
Cadet cyberjock1

Postby Donald Fung on Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:24 pm

Zivel wrote:What do you do when you are late to asia and Oceania has a foothold already and then turtles and becomes to big to take out?
Game Click Here

My question to you is, who in the world will play a no spoils 8 players World 2.1? You'll still be playing by Round 100. :lol: Worst combo ever, probably worst than manual, sequential City Mogul which is whoever goes first wins. :lol:
Sergeant 1st Class Donald Fung

Postby Zivel on Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:57 pm

Donald Fung wrote:
My question to you is, who in the world will play a no spoils 8 players World 2.1? You'll still be playing by Round 100. :lol: Worst combo ever, probably worst than manual, sequential City Mogul which is whoever goes first wins. :lol:

each to their own ;) Its all a pretty much all I play (well that and tournys) At least that one is unlimited, I have a couple going that are adjacent and they tend to go on for a while lol
Sergeant Zivel

Postby Woltato on Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:26 pm

Strategy isn't particularly determined by the map, it depends what format you're playing.

escalating spoils is completely different to no spoils,

2 player is completely different to 8 player is completely different to team games e.t.c.
Sergeant Woltato

Postby GrandLupo on Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:02 am

LOL My favourate map xD!!!! This one and feudal O_O

I've been experimenting with this map trying def. things etc. And one that I've found to be a dangerous yet quite effective is to try control Europe ASAP! With a little luck of how everybody places troops (on a 1v8) which isn't that bad, cause somebody always goes for oceana, somebody always goes for china area, a couple is always going for parts of Africa, which leaves 4 players to spread across north america/ south america and Europe... So if you're unlucky you'll have one player to contend with in Europe, and even if you do pull the short stick, you have options... Northern part of north america, eastern part of Asia, northern parts of Africa. from that you should at least be able to create a foot hold. In the event that you're lucky/skilled you can grab control of the whole of Europe in 2 rounds easy. Which Gives you an edge, strong early game to start from. where-as south-america, Asia, oceana normally isn't grabbed completely by somebody yet. After you have Europe, my suggestion is to keep expanding, don't sit in tight and build up, cause you have the advantage, don't rush though either. But don't push in for asia, cause you'll weaken yourself and leave many openings. neither Africa cause you'll have expanding south america to contend with and Asia, I.E. be in the middle of a massive fray. Expand into the northern parts of northern america. Securing bonuses and moving on, Like a slow moving avalanche unstoppable and impenetrable. Or course this all depends on very early dominance in Europe, which isn't always that easily achieved. Best type for this is with fog, Unlimited, Freestyle, automatic{ cause you can better discern where players will concentrate in relation to your own positions and whether it is even viable for the Europe tactic O_O} 4-8 players{ where-as 6 players seems to be the happy medium for the Europe tactic }

These are my thoughts on World 2.1, I would certainly enjoy hearing everybody else's opinion on this tactic? In light that it would help me and others xD. I have other tactics for this map as well, but this is the most profound one for me xD
Corporal GrandLupo

Postby GrandLupo on Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:27 am

Lol maybe the 2 rounds is a bit to little, but it has happened before. :P
Corporal GrandLupo

Postby paulk on Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:11 am

I almost only play W2.1 and I have a 44% winning rate. Mostly in games with 4 or more players.
Depending on game settings the map can be played in many different ways.
But a few things are coming back over and over.

First of all, go with the flow of the game. Very seldom you have the power to take on everybody else as an enemy.
Try to figure out who will fight who about what and then go in and take over when both have exhausted their armies.

Use the chat. The pen is mightier than the sword. Used right you can win a game through the chat.

Initially try to get a small bonus, Scandinavia, Australia, Central America are all easy to take and hold if you have a few armies around it, since they only have 3 territories each. USA and The Horn are great too, and I also like La Plata, Amazon, China and Southern Africa as starter bonuses if you have a drop that lets you take them in 1-3 rounds. They are all pretty easy to hold and in many cases can develop to a bigger better bonus.

Make the Neutrals work for you. Don't attack a neutral unless you are "sure" to keep the bonus you gain from it. Remember that attacking a +3 neutral is like giving away 3 of your armies. Use the neutrals as walls and shields for your troops and bonuses as much as you can.

Don't leave too many 1's. Spread out your troops. Spot 2's. Many times players have one big army at every entrance to a continent they have and inside it is all 1's. This signals is many times that the player will attack the continent next to it, and therefore if you have the continent next to it you want to neutralize the threat. If you instead spread out your troops so you have some inside your continent, you divert some of the attention from you, plus that if someone attacks you they wont walk around like an uninterrupted cancer inside your continent. And in sensitive areas, if you leave 2 troops instead of 1, miracles happen and your enemies can get so bad dice they loose 10 to 2. This is the most important and interesting part of the game, how people place their armies. It is very much psychology.

If you play double, triple or quadruple, use msn/yahoo messenger/skype.

If you play manual placement and decide to put all your troops in one spot, make sure you put them so you have more than one way out. You might find the grass greener on the other side of the fence.
Major paulk

Postby Zivel on Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:47 pm

How do you break a build game? Everyone has 1000 plus troops?
Sergeant Zivel

Postby paulk on Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:48 am

Zivel wrote:How do you break a build game? Everyone has 1000 plus troops?

With diplomacy. Either suggest/demand that someone does something, get into an alliance (Remember that the one asking first for an alliance has the upper hand.) and agree on a truce until someone else is out (+1 regroup turn).

Or, finally, as it was in a tiering build game (I had over 10.000 troops) where we were 3 people left and it was obvious that the one first attacking would loose, we agreed on settling it with another game. Well, that was a bad option for me, got a bad start in the other game and lost both games because of the agreement.
Major paulk

Postby rockfist on Sun May 30, 2010 7:25 pm

Do not butt heads.
Brigadier rockfist

Postby myfriendkyle on Sun May 30, 2010 8:35 pm

So does everyone think NA is the best option when holding Europe early in the game?
Sergeant 1st Class myfriendkyle

Postby rockfist on Sun May 30, 2010 9:19 pm

If you are in Europe or NA, you can't have a strong force in the other one, without a truce.

I have played numerous times on larger (6 player +) 2.1 and have never until recently tried to start in Russia in a regular or Terminator game...I recently tried it and it sucks.

Still 3-0 starting in Maghreb in large games though.
Brigadier rockfist

Postby Rih0 on Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:17 pm

What if you got north america with not so big troops, somebody got south america with regular troop count, and there's an almost dead player in the middle of both? Would you kill it, or just let for the other one to do so? (no spoils|manual troops)
Private Rih0

PreviousNext

Return to Conquer Club Discussion