Conquer Club

Memoirs of TheCrown, site conqueror

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Re: Memoirs of TheCrown, site conqueror

Postby Gilligan on Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:07 pm

betiko wrote: He exploited the system, nothing else.


aka, breaking the rules.

Rules wrote:Obviously any gross abuse of the game is forbidden.
Image
User avatar
Captain Gilligan
 
Posts: 12478
Joined: Thu May 11, 2006 4:59 pm
Location: Providence, RI

Re: Memoirs of TheCrown, site conqueror

Postby Trevor33 on Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:15 pm

Shannon Apple wrote: but I have had invites from two such players recently. I wouldn't say they're cheating, but their tactics are cheap and I have no respect for them at all. I was highly tempted to foe both people, who are both not all that great of players.


I know who you mean and i have received an invite from at least one of them recently on a map they had played a million times that i had never played... i would never send out a cold invite to a game without a PM first, couple probably reach 3500+ by doing in on Lunar War but there's the fun?

If/when i reach 3000 for the first time it'll be because i deserved it, not because of some cheap tactics.
User avatar
Major Trevor33
 
Posts: 884
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:30 am
Location: With the fairies.

Re: Memoirs of TheCrown, site conqueror

Postby jiminski on Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:25 am

Kingm wrote:
hmm, I agree with you, jiminski, on almost everything above, except that you have to be something quite special to stay above 3k without cynical methods, I have been at 3k + for something like 20 months I think, and played about 2500 games in that periode, even had 100 active games of all kind at a period, I have also played in probably 150 tourneys with all kinds of rank.
I even reached 4350 point at some point, but that was I had a couple of weeks where my dice was red hot..
If you had said 4000 instead of 3000 then I would realy agree with everything you said..

just my 2 cents :)


It was actually rhp's chosen cut-off point for when a player can do it 'fair'. i've really not been active for a while King, so I defer to your knowledge.. But 3k was roughly the cut-off 3 years ago. Point inflation would certainly have an influence; though perhaps not by 1,000.* I do though imagine that people aim to maintain a rank so perhaps the 4k mark is correct, even if we include the variable of inflation. (blimey, i'm even boring myself... perhaps i'll try to rub someone up the wrong way to add a little spice!)

codeblue1018 wrote:
Why.....


Codeblue, you have no idea what you are talking about!


*I am sure some nerd genius can help crunch the numbers, in between all their job creation and pleasuring of women in the real world.
Image
User avatar
Lieutenant jiminski
 
Posts: 5422
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:30 pm
Location: London

Re: Memoirs of TheCrown, site conqueror

Postby BoganGod on Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:48 am

Interesting view point of an earlier poster touching on team games possibly being under hand. I sat above 3000points for 18months, including general for a few of those months. At all times I had public team games awaiting players as well as higher ranked private games. Team games can be viewed as a cheap/less skillful way to rank up. I know that people in a decent clan have a point advantage purely because they have a pool of skilled and motivated teammates to draw from. Any team of random players who take on an established team are at a disadvantage. I applaud the lateral thinking by the crown in reaching the top. I deploy the act of implementing said thinking. Especially when the evidence would suggest he was planning this for a while.... Unlike politicians I view omitting to mention things/or putting forward a limited account of events to be akin to lying. The self serving original post says exactly what he thinks about the intelligence of those that use this site, and read the forum. I think I for the most part agree with his assessment.
Image
User avatar
Captain BoganGod
 
Posts: 5850
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:08 am
Location: Heaven's Gate Retirement Home

Re: Memoirs of TheCrown, site conqueror

Postby Chariot of Fire on Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:17 am

You've been on this site too long BG. I think you mean "I deplore..." not "I deploy..." ;)
Image
Highest position #5 (18 Nov 2010) General 4,380pts (11 Dec 2010)
User avatar
Colonel Chariot of Fire
 
Posts: 3525
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:13 am
Location: u.k.

Re: Memoirs of TheCrown, site conqueror

Postby BoganGod on Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:22 am

Chariot of Fire wrote:You've been on this site too long BG. I think you mean "I deplore..." not "I deploy..." ;)


To true CoF. Well spotted. I have to attempt to keep in character. A bogan using a computer already requires folks suspending disbelief.
Image
User avatar
Captain BoganGod
 
Posts: 5850
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:08 am
Location: Heaven's Gate Retirement Home

Re: Memoirs of TheCrown, site conqueror

Postby rhp 1 on Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:28 pm

Kingm wrote:I would also like to challenge you rhp1, or anyone else, to find any "questionable methods" I have been using, just for the fun of it :)
The only thing I would think of would be that last year I played lots of 8man private feudal epics and antarctica games against high ranked players, but it was far from farming since I would estimate that 95% of them had played atleast 20-30 similar games :)



sigh... sorry you got your feelings hurt.. as I said.. there are some people who are really good and take CC very seriously... for those few, they can stay above 3000 points without using "questionable" methods..... for over 95% of the players on here, it's simply not the case.. period... you're one of the few who can... high five or somethin?

out of 12000 players, there are 120 over 3000... of those 120, if you're gonna tell me that most don't control their games in some way, you're lost... and I'm not even gonna bother looking, it's just a fact and I don't give a damn btw.. I say, good job to them.. again.. not saying you in particular.. I'll happily exempt you...
User avatar
Lieutenant rhp 1
 
Posts: 1285
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:19 pm
Location: IF YOU HAVE NO CLUE WHAT YOU'RE DOING, IT IS BEST TO DO IT....... QUICKLY

Re: Memoirs of TheCrown, site conqueror

Postby rhp 1 on Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:41 pm

trevor33 wrote:
Shannon Apple wrote: but I have had invites from two such players recently. I wouldn't say they're cheating, but their tactics are cheap and I have no respect for them at all. I was highly tempted to foe both people, who are both not all that great of players.


I know who you mean and i have received an invite from at least one of them recently on a map they had played a million times that i had never played... i would never send out a cold invite to a game without a PM first, couple probably reach 3500+ by doing in on Lunar War but there's the fun?

If/when i reach 3000 for the first time it'll be because i deserved it, not because of some cheap tactics.



and that's the point... "cheap tactics" or "questionable methods" is not an objective thing... it's completely subjective, and that's a fact... what you call cheap tactics, someone else might call just playing the games they want... is Crown's example more pronounced? sure.. but it's just him controlling his games.. it's hardly "gross abuse".. I laughed when I read that....
User avatar
Lieutenant rhp 1
 
Posts: 1285
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:19 pm
Location: IF YOU HAVE NO CLUE WHAT YOU'RE DOING, IT IS BEST TO DO IT....... QUICKLY

Re: Memoirs of TheCrown, site conqueror

Postby Metsfanmax on Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:45 pm

rhp 1 wrote:
trevor33 wrote:
Shannon Apple wrote: but I have had invites from two such players recently. I wouldn't say they're cheating, but their tactics are cheap and I have no respect for them at all. I was highly tempted to foe both people, who are both not all that great of players.


I know who you mean and i have received an invite from at least one of them recently on a map they had played a million times that i had never played... i would never send out a cold invite to a game without a PM first, couple probably reach 3500+ by doing in on Lunar War but there's the fun?

If/when i reach 3000 for the first time it'll be because i deserved it, not because of some cheap tactics.



and that's the point... "cheap tactics" or "questionable methods" is not an objective thing... it's completely subjective, and that's a fact... what you call cheap tactics, someone else might call just playing the games they want... is Crown's example more pronounced? sure.. but it's just him controlling his games.. it's hardly "gross abuse".. I laughed when I read that....


I think in this case one cannot neglect the aspect of collusion that was necessary to achieve this result.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax
 
Posts: 6720
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:01 pm

Re: Memoirs of TheCrown, site conqueror

Postby JCR on Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:55 pm

Metsfanmax wrote:
I think in this case one cannot neglect the aspect of collusion that was necessary to achieve this result.

That is the key.
User avatar
Major JCR
 
Posts: 192
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:16 pm

Re: Memoirs of TheCrown, site conqueror

Postby BigBallinStalin on Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:45 am

JCR wrote:
Metsfanmax wrote:
I think in this case one cannot neglect the aspect of collusion that was necessary to achieve this result.

That is the key.


Collusion with the enemy, right? Because if we say collusion with teammates, then we're back to the 'legit' method of organized v. unorganized teams.

If so, whenever I request to play "real time" with someone on a 24-hour game, that's collusion--manipulating the scoreboard (BOOGA BOOGA BOOGA!). Whenever I speed up an inevitable loss--which doesn't involve collusion, that's "gross abuse" (thecrown did this but it doesn't fit under the new claim here). Another manipulation of the scoreboard. Those claims were used against thecrown, so we shouldn't discard them in order to rationalize the arbitrariness of enforcement and appeals for justice.
User avatar
Major BigBallinStalin
 
Posts: 5151
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:23 pm
Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Re: Memoirs of TheCrown, site conqueror

Postby Donelladan on Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:17 am

You are making mistake here BBS. Main point against TheCrown is holding hostage. He deliberaly prolong for several days game that he should have already won.
This is abuse. And this is gross abuse because he did it for a tons of games.
Image
User avatar
Brigadier Donelladan
 
Posts: 3285
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:48 am
3321738

Re: Memoirs of TheCrown, site conqueror

Postby Metsfanmax on Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:26 am

BigBallinStalin wrote:
JCR wrote:
Metsfanmax wrote:
I think in this case one cannot neglect the aspect of collusion that was necessary to achieve this result.

That is the key.


Collusion with the enemy, right? Because if we say collusion with teammates, then we're back to the 'legit' method of organized v. unorganized teams.


The difference between the unorganized teams (where, say, you play 8-man Third Crusade with the same group all the time) is that everyone is trying equally to win. In this situation, various players were colluding to allow one player to inflate his score.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax
 
Posts: 6720
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:01 pm

Re: Memoirs of TheCrown, site conqueror

Postby BigBallinStalin on Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:49 am

Metsfanmax wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:
JCR wrote:
Metsfanmax wrote:
I think in this case one cannot neglect the aspect of collusion that was necessary to achieve this result.

That is the key.


Collusion with the enemy, right? Because if we say collusion with teammates, then we're back to the 'legit' method of organized v. unorganized teams.


The difference between the unorganized teams (where, say, you play 8-man Third Crusade with the same group all the time) is that everyone is trying equally to win. In this situation, various players were colluding to allow one player to inflate his score.


Oh, that's interesting. Didn't know that.

I think we can still agree that most people who hated thecrown for it are still hypocrites though.
User avatar
Major BigBallinStalin
 
Posts: 5151
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:23 pm
Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Re: Memoirs of TheCrown, site conqueror

Postby BigBallinStalin on Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:50 am

Donelladan wrote:You are making mistake here BBS. Main point against TheCrown is holding hostage. He deliberaly prolong for several days game that he should have already won.
This is abuse. And this is gross abuse because he did it for a tons of games.


I don't deny he engaged in a tactic to such a high degree that it attracted too much attention and ire, thereby becoming Bad.
User avatar
Major BigBallinStalin
 
Posts: 5151
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:23 pm
Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Re: Memoirs of TheCrown, site conqueror

Postby Metsfanmax on Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:59 am

BigBallinStalin wrote:
Metsfanmax wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:
JCR wrote:
Metsfanmax wrote:
I think in this case one cannot neglect the aspect of collusion that was necessary to achieve this result.

That is the key.


Collusion with the enemy, right? Because if we say collusion with teammates, then we're back to the 'legit' method of organized v. unorganized teams.


The difference between the unorganized teams (where, say, you play 8-man Third Crusade with the same group all the time) is that everyone is trying equally to win. In this situation, various players were colluding to allow one player to inflate his score.


Oh, that's interesting. Didn't know that.

I think we can still agree that most people who hated thecrown for it are still hypocrites though.


I would agree that if someone actually hates him for it, there's a good chance they're being at least slightly hypocritical since we all meta-manage our points to some degree.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax
 
Posts: 6720
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:01 pm

Re: Memoirs of TheCrown, site conqueror

Postby jiminski on Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:08 pm

Metsfanmax wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:
Metsfanmax wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:
JCR wrote:
Metsfanmax wrote:
I think in this case one cannot neglect the aspect of collusion that was necessary to achieve this result.

That is the key.


Collusion with the enemy, right? Because if we say collusion with teammates, then we're back to the 'legit' method of organized v. unorganized teams.


The difference between the unorganized teams (where, say, you play 8-man Third Crusade with the same group all the time) is that everyone is trying equally to win. In this situation, various players were colluding to allow one player to inflate his score.


Oh, that's interesting. Didn't know that.

I think we can still agree that most people who hated thecrown for it are still hypocrites though.


I would agree that if someone actually hates him for it, there's a good chance they're being at least slightly hypocritical since we all meta-manage our points to some degree.


Well, look this really isn't worth a lot of thought (heheh but what is... so i'll talk a little crap for its own sake anyway!) and probably the means by which thecrown done it gave him a slight folk-heroesk status .. like a daring bank-robbery or a cunning, meticulously planned murder; the average person (who obviously wasn't personally effected by that particular caper) allows theirself a wry smile and a nod of caricatured respect. thecrown of course blew all that kudos by the rather limp attempt to say that it was all a "happy mistake" and the years of planning were for something else ... "this was just an experiment"... shame. If you stick by your misdemeanour's you'll likely ride the storm and come out a better man with a little credibility.... he probably felt compelled to concoct some story due to his link to the site .. but i say again, shame. Be a sinner but never repent!

I think that the judgement and action from the site was pretty much spot-on.I also think that, due to all of the dark arts of the past, the post of conqueror is largely the ultimate pinnacle for the shady fanatic.

Saying that, I don't believe that the manipulators should back the 'honest' players into a corner where we all have to reside. Not everyone who plays quads with established teams more than they do 8 man escalator against all comers is necessarily shady... i don't concede that all people who look to play map preferences that they have come to know better than most others are milking the system. There are degrees and excesses which we all can define and certainly for those which push the envelope.

To say that we are all guilty so no one is really guilty in an objective sense is the last defence of the indefenceable.
Image
User avatar
Lieutenant jiminski
 
Posts: 5422
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:30 pm
Location: London

Re: Memoirs of TheCrown, site conqueror

Postby Metsfanmax on Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:46 pm

jiminski wrote:To say that we are all guilty so no one is really guilty in an objective sense is the last defence of the indefenceable.


I didn't say that we are all guilty. I said that being actively angry at TheCrown for taking to an extreme what we all do to various extents is slightly hypocritical. One can agree with that and still believe that he should have been punished, on the basis that he colluded with others to manipulate the scoring system. In other words, if you want to be angry, be angry not because he found a clever way to boost his points but because he gathered up his whole clan to boost it way more than any one person could on their own.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax
 
Posts: 6720
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:01 pm

Re: Memoirs of TheCrown, site conqueror

Postby jiminski on Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:02 pm

Metsfanmax wrote:
jiminski wrote:To say that we are all guilty so no one is really guilty in an objective sense is the last defence of the indefenceable.


I didn't say that we are all guilty. I said that being actively angry at TheCrown for taking to an extreme what we all do to various extents is slightly hypocritical. One can agree with that and still believe that he should have been punished, on the basis that he colluded with others to manipulate the scoring system. In other words, if you want to be angry, be angry not because he found a clever way to boost his points but because he gathered up his whole clan to boost it way more than any one person could on their own.


well i for one am absolutely livid!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q2TtA9gsTQ
Image
User avatar
Lieutenant jiminski
 
Posts: 5422
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:30 pm
Location: London

Re: Memoirs of TheCrown, site conqueror

Postby rhp 1 on Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:41 pm

Metsfanmax wrote:
rhp 1 wrote:
trevor33 wrote:
Shannon Apple wrote: but I have had invites from two such players recently. I wouldn't say they're cheating, but their tactics are cheap and I have no respect for them at all. I was highly tempted to foe both people, who are both not all that great of players.


I know who you mean and i have received an invite from at least one of them recently on a map they had played a million times that i had never played... i would never send out a cold invite to a game without a PM first, couple probably reach 3500+ by doing in on Lunar War but there's the fun?

If/when i reach 3000 for the first time it'll be because i deserved it, not because of some cheap tactics.



and that's the point... "cheap tactics" or "questionable methods" is not an objective thing... it's completely subjective, and that's a fact... what you call cheap tactics, someone else might call just playing the games they want... is Crown's example more pronounced? sure.. but it's just him controlling his games.. it's hardly "gross abuse".. I laughed when I read that....


I think in this case one cannot neglect the aspect of collusion that was necessary to achieve this result.


not ignoring it.. just not putting too much importance on it.... didn't bother me a bit.. though I don't make the rules... and I see your point
User avatar
Lieutenant rhp 1
 
Posts: 1285
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:19 pm
Location: IF YOU HAVE NO CLUE WHAT YOU'RE DOING, IT IS BEST TO DO IT....... QUICKLY

Re: Memoirs of TheCrown, site conqueror

Postby scottp on Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:10 pm

impressed by TheCrown's accomplishment. Much less underhanded than some of the other methods conquerors used to get their titles.

Thank God BigBallinStalin is here to set y'all straight. I don't care enough to post here any more than this once, and he's about the only one with a clear-headed attitude. (Hang in there, BBS!) The "sanctity" some of you treat the title of Conqueror is ludicrous, considering the rogue's gallery of others who still retain the title.

btw, No one let TheCrown win a single game, he just lost faster than he won.
Image
Account sitters = MagnusGreeol, concrete, RKCVED
User avatar
Major scottp
 
Posts: 455
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 2:05 pm
Location: Dead Zone, TX

Re: Memoirs of TheCrown, site conqueror

Postby Vinc on Mon May 23, 2022 8:08 am

Wooh TheCrown respect man.
700 games thats a big story
Nice story to read aswell

Kind regards

Vinc
User avatar
Corporal Vinc
 
Posts: 262
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 2:55 pm

Re: Memoirs of TheCrown, site conqueror

Postby mookiemcgee on Wed May 25, 2022 2:29 pm

Vinc wrote:Wooh TheCrown respect man.
700 games thats a big story
Nice story to read aswell

Kind regards

Vinc


For a necrobump you picked a good one!

I played on CC for about a year completely rudderless, just joining random games. TheCrown approached me about joining his Clan which really was the foundation for why I'm still here playing 7-8 years later. I know there was drama, and accusations of cheating but he was a really good guy and taught me alot about risk strategy. We had some epic sets of games together on the special easter map that i will always remember fondly. One day he just decided to pack it in, and i don't think he's logged in once in the years since.
saxitoxin wrote:Ralf's 95 year old great grandmother owns Canada
User avatar
Colonel mookiemcgee
 
Posts: 3692
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:33 pm
Location: Northern CA

PreviousNext

Return to Conquer Club Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users