Conquer Club

Does ConquerClub lack effective marketing?

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Re: Does ConquerClub lack effective marketing?

Postby ManBungalow on Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:04 pm

Army of GOD wrote:
chapcrap wrote:
Army of GOD wrote:Reported for posting personal information

:lol:

You don't get why it's funny.

Colonel ManBungalow

Postby Army of GOD on Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:07 pm

ManBungalow wrote:
Army of GOD wrote:
chapcrap wrote:
Army of GOD wrote:Reported for posting personal information

You don't get why it's funny.

You get why it's funny.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby ManBungalow on Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:19 pm

I guess the R*sk board game is quite a niche market, and advertising banners all over the internet wouldn't appeal to many people when next to some Nazi-killing flash game. I reckon >90% of members on CC are here because they actively searched for "free online risk", and not "free generic online multiplayer game". Y'all see where I'm going with this.
Colonel ManBungalow

Postby Nola_Lifer on Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:57 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:So how many paying customers are there?

And how much has that figure grown by year?

Wouldn't you have to get more members to continue to register for a premium to make this number grow. If you are losing the same number of people that you are gaining then the figure won't grow. CC doesn't need to strengthen its marketing plows it needs to make sure that they are keeping premium members and increasing the amount of freebies to premium.
Major Nola_Lifer

Postby Pedronicus on Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:17 pm

CC the games, and by that I mean the stupid dice, is why I've not renewed my membership.

Have better dice. people like the game. people pay for premium. you get to hire more people as a job. site improves. more people. more money.
Highest position 7th. Highest points 3311 All of my graffiti can be found here
Major Pedronicus

Postby BigBallinStalin on Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:16 am

ManBungalow wrote:I guess the R*sk board game is quite a niche market, and advertising banners all over the internet wouldn't appeal to many people when next to some Nazi-killing flash game. I reckon >90% of members on CC are here because they actively searched for "free online risk", and not "free generic online multiplayer game". Y'all see where I'm going with this.

I was trying to read what you typed, but I gotta tell ya. You got something on your face:

Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby BigBallinStalin on Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:17 am

thegreekdog wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:
Haggis_McMutton wrote:CC is basically a hobby site. It doesn't seem to consider itself a real business.

I think for an exampe of what CC could strive for, you can look at http://www.chess.com

Which is a shame, since this place has so much potential.

This may be a tough decision for the CC owner(s), but in order for a business to grow, sometimes the management should be replaced with more competent people. Sometimes, certain people should only specialize in their trade. The issue of trust and finding a capable manager are considerable problems, but sometimes, such a move is necessary to retain loyal customers, to provide an awesome "Risk" experience to new customers, and to earn more money in the long-term.

So, basically, you need a job?

Hey, why not? I need a job with very flexible hours because I got a stiff back that's killing me. Ho ho.

Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby BigBallinStalin on Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:26 am

Nola_Lifer wrote:

Wouldn't you have to get more members to continue to register for a premium to make this number grow. If you are losing the same number of people that you are gaining then the figure won't grow. CC doesn't need to strengthen its marketing plows it needs to make sure that they are keeping premium members and increasing the amount of freebies to premium.

Marketing deals with retaining customers, increasing customer loyalty, convincing freemiums to switch to premium, and yada yada.

CC most likely isn't going to release any information to me, so I can't answer your question. They're just gonna lurk this one out, guy.
Major BigBallinStalin

Postby Nola_Lifer on Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:27 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:
Nola_Lifer wrote:

Marketing deals with retaining customers, increasing customer loyalty, convincing freemiums to switch to premium, and yada yada.

CC most likely isn't going to release any information to me, so I can't answer your question. They're just gonna lurk this one out, guy.

Who you callin guy, buddy?
Major Nola_Lifer

Postby BigBallinStalin on Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:01 pm

Nola_Lifer wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:
Nola_Lifer wrote:

Who you callin guy, buddy?

Major BigBallinStalin

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:32 am

Ahoy Everyone,

The Admins and I, and along with the whole of Team CC, have discussed some of the insights and critiques gleaned from this topic (and others similarly related).

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I've grouped some similarly themed posts and thoughts together:

Professionalism, Customer Service, and Marketing

• Post 1, Post 2. CC is not professional enough (I.E. Volunteer based business) to grow dramatically. CC also needs to consider replacing or supplementing additional management.

• Post. CC at times smells of hobby-website. Instead, CC should strive for something like http://www.chess.com/ .

• Post 1. CC's management can do better address User Suggestions that have waited for years or have dramatic backing. By not addressing these fully, CC can't grow the market and may potentially drift out-of-touch with Customer Base.
    • Post. The webmaster should listen to Mapmakers / Tournaments / Clans [Community Created Content] more, since they are a core driving elements of the Community and the website in general.
  • Post 1, Post 2, Post 3. The problem isn't effective marketing but effect customer service, especially in regards to webmaster coding and feature updates. User Interface can be dramatically improved, and functionality can as well. "Partial Updates" instead of full blown and worked out features or updates with more than one item can be trying on an eager and hungry Community.

New User Impressions, Retention

• Post. First impressions of CC leading to low user retention, in addition to lack of real 'Welcome' info.

• Post 1, Post 2. 24 Hours to take turn initially makes user experience less fun or "what's the point of bothering to check back," leading to lower retention.
    • Post 1, Post 2, Post 3. Various suggestions regarding giving Freemiums a better taste of Speed Games, or restricting certain initial Classic Speed Games for New Users to avoid increasing future multiple accounts.
  • Post 1, Post 2, Post 3. The Community isn't always 'noob' or new user friendly, especially with multi accusations.

• Post 1, Post 2. Rewarding those who help or are polite to new users / noobs should occur; better promotion of the Training Academy.

• Post. Rightly or wrongly, Dice a large contributing factor to both first impressions and ongoing impressions.

• Post. Referral Program can be dramatically improved. Reworking it could lead to better user retention and increased users and sales.

In regards to the 1st Category, we are once again undertaking search for Web Developers. A proper announcement regarding this process, with more details on how it will be done and how the Community will be kept informed and in the loop during it all, is to come. We know that most of the insights and critiques those have about Conquer Club, stem from the core issues of updates / coding, and many can resolved through both more regular updates, and updates that not only address items wanted by the Community but also updates that can grow the Community. We see Web Developers and updates as the "tide that floats all boats."

Additionally, we will be working closer with our own Tech Team, since we know that many of our Team CC Depts. have needs for tools and databases to better serve the Public Community. Specific coding and related projects have also been underway to better utilize the talents we are so lucky to have.

In regards to the 2nd Category, one of the tests we'd like to give the web developers when they are brought on for selection narrowing, is an enhanced referral program re-worked to work with Facebook and Twitter integration (other tests to be expanded upon more in the official topic to come). For example, a referral program like this might allow you to blast your referral to your personal feeds if you have them, in addition to just sending out e-mails. Additionally, an enhanced or at least diversified rewards system away from just solely Premium Membership.

(Moreover, when we have our final selection of web developers, their first official priorities will revolve around the long awaited and anticipated Clans Database, to better serve our Clan Community and Clan Directors, and a proper Account Sitting Feature.)

The above mentioned integration would be a stepping stone to enhanced Social Media integration throughout the rest of the website, possibly including by not limited to: Facebook connect to sign up to CC; quick-finding of one's social media friends on CC; invitations through social media to join games; etc.

Additionally, we're going to investigate ways to both promote the Training Academy more, and ways to make Conquer Club more newbie friendly, such as reviewing and enhancing the documentation and Training PMs that are currently sent out to new users upon various milestones.

These are just a few things, but I wanted to share something concrete with you all, since you helped spur this excellent discussion.

Additionally, since there has been some inquiries into stats, I thought I would share some of the stats I've been keeping as Community Manager. Stats for August I'll finish completing next week probably, and can update everything then:

show: Various Stats Long Term

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Pirlo on Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:01 am

Nice Andy
Captain Pirlo

Postby greenoaks on Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:06 am

the stats in the spoiler don't show for me.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby chapcrap on Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:37 pm

greenoaks wrote:the stats in the spoiler don't show for me.

Don't know if it was edited since this post or not, but the stats show up fine for me.

I for one, also appreciate the update. I hope there are more updates to come. Not only informational updates, but site updates. Thanks.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby Stephan Wayne on Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:51 pm

I Have not read any of the postings here so sorry for just posting an opinion.

I would like to see ConquerClub in stores like any other online game advertisement.
So obviously that has not happened yet and we have a way to go more work should go into this.

Therefor our marketing is not effective. Please Anyone if you can help please do. If this gets outthere it WILL stick. :mrgreen: ConquerClub :mrgreen:
Click image to enlarge.
Corporal Stephan Wayne

Postby Fruitcake on Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:46 am

Well you may find Andy's post a lovely thing, but all I read is the same old nonsense spouted in a different way. Why am I not surprised?

cc has never shown quality management and never will, simple. The reason for this? They wouldn't know quality management if it knocked them down. Lateral thought and awareness is completely beyond the admin based on decisions made and the system of control is based on the lowest common denominator, further testament to their idiocy.

The owner of this site has, historically, given very poor levels of service, yet paid high levels of lip service to the community (a perfect example is this thread).

The number of players who do not renew is frightening. There are numerous ways (proven) of how to retain loyalty and compensation from an existing customer base (which is always far easier than constantly grinding in new customers) and if there really was a professional in admin then this would have been identified and sorted out.

Due to current economic conditions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off
Colonel Fruitcake

Postby BigBallinStalin on Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:17 am

First, I'm enthused that my experiment of tapping into the community's aggregate knowledge and skills was successful, so why don't we give each other a round of applause because we're so awesome?

Second, please hold all donations to yours truly, as the idea of starting this thread and the further guidance ITT is payment for the previously owed 11+ months of modding (roughly $23.00 USD). Nevertheless, if I can't persuade you to not donate, please donate to the following address:

I've been squatting there--it's rather cozy, but there's no running water. :(

[/ego-tripping]
Major BigBallinStalin

Postby BigBallinStalin on Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:18 am

Fruitcake wrote:Well you may find Andy's post a lovely thing, but all I read is the same old nonsense spouted in a different way. Why am I not surprised?

cc has never shown quality management and never will, simple. The reason for this? They wouldn't know quality management if it knocked them down. Lateral thought and awareness is completely beyond the admin based on decisions made and the system of control is based on the lowest common denominator, further testament to their idiocy.

The owner of this site has, historically, given very poor levels of service, yet paid high levels of lip service to the community (a perfect example is this thread).

The number of players who do not renew is frightening. There are numerous ways (proven) of how to retain loyalty and compensation from an existing customer base (which is always far easier than constantly grinding in new customers) and if there really was a professional in admin then this would have been identified and sorted out.

I generally agree with this, but I'd have phrased it more diplomatically.

ConquerClub seems to be headed in a downward spiral (if not now, but more likely in the long-term). Current capabilities allow for marginal improvements, but that is still a duct-tape solution with silver lining.

It seems that the big shots don't have the professional business skills and knowledge to steer this place in the right direction. Granted that it's difficult relinquishing control, it may be best for ConquerClub to find professionals, or they should strongly consider seeking professional training; otherwise, none of the proposals will be effectively implemented.

The above shouldn't be taken as harsh criticism for I am only expressing my concerns.

[RE: Andy's post] Thanks Andy, lack, and the other big shots for being transparent; it's a good move.
Major BigBallinStalin

Postby Pirlo on Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:26 am

Fruitcake wrote:Well you may find Andy's post a lovely thing, but all I read is the same old nonsense spouted in a different way. Why am I not surprised?

I see the sense of your post. I haven't been active in this GD forum for long. I became more active when I got sick of the game itself (playing, beating and losing to the same people is no fun... constant fresh blood needed), and this is why I'm not renewing, beside having become more busy. I still believe that voluntary-based business will never go far.

usually the lack of competition leads to poor service. if CC felt that competitive businesses are taking over its share, the admin would definitely move a bit faster.. but rather, the admin is treating this in a very backward way like a tree that produce a good amount of fruit, forgetting that those who are involved in this business are people and may, at anytime, get bored and leave.
Captain Pirlo

Postby TaCktiX on Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:47 am

I'm going to have to say that the above opinions are valid were it not for one major thing: TeamCC won't allow it. While you guys were having a very great discussion about it in GD, we were having a very similar one in the private forum. This announcement is the beginning of a change of direction. If it isn't, we'll be screaming bloody murder long before GD does.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby chapcrap on Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:45 am

TaCktiX wrote:I'm going to have to say that the above opinions are valid were it not for one major thing: TeamCC won't allow it. While you guys were having a very great discussion about it in GD, we were having a very similar one in the private forum. This announcement is the beginning of a change of direction. If it isn't, we'll be screaming bloody murder long before GD does.

I hope this is true x2361!

Be forward thinking. Do not be stuck.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby BigBallinStalin on Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:24 pm

TaCktiX wrote:I'm going to have to say that the above opinions are valid were it not for one major thing: TeamCC won't allow it. While you guys were having a very great discussion about it in GD, we were having a very similar one in the private forum. This announcement is the beginning of a change of direction. If it isn't, we'll be screaming bloody murder long before GD does.

"BLOODY MURDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

GD: 1
TaCktiX's private forum: 0
Major BigBallinStalin

Postby friendly1 on Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:15 pm

Well, in my opinion the loss of some amazing TeamCC members is the equivalent effect of screaming bloody murder. Most notably when these departures are not happening on good terms. However to their credit the individuals restrict their differing opinions and difficulties with the ownership from public view.

A leaky boat gets repaired by the starters, a sinking boat has starters abandon ship. I suspect the analogy does not apply here though, as I believe starters are abandoning the captain...

Andy has put together a good encapsulation of opinions expressed and potential actions being considered. However as in all things this has not been validated or endorsed by the ownership group (publicly that is: I am, as the majority of us are, unaware of private discussions). It occurs to me that "effective marketing" per se would be much more successful if the core of population for CC felt there was an invested and motivated owner - there seems to be a growing opinion that this is not the case, and I feel its a fair assessment in the absence of any information or communication.

I'm not sure actions taken by CC have demonstrated an interest by ownership to grow the site, however I am certain there has been no public commitment towards doing so.

I'm sure there will be many dissenting opinions and comments, and I welcome them. This is just my opinion and that does not make it right. I'm calling it as I see it, and hope this sparks awareness rather than dissension. Most likely outcome will be a Lack of response if history holds true to form.

Sergeant 1st Class friendly1

Postby patrickaa317 on Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:43 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:

Are you sure it's 1-0? There were a couple hours difference there, TaC could have easily gotten a lead on you in that time.
taking a break from cc, will be back sometime in the future.
Sergeant patrickaa317

Postby BigBallinStalin on Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:26 am

patrickaa317 wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:

Are you sure it's 1-0? There were a couple hours difference there, TaC could have easily gotten a lead on you in that time.

I define my own reality, so GD WINS!!!
Major BigBallinStalin

PreviousNext

Return to Conquer Club Discussion