Conquer Club

CC is declining again!

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Re: Is CC Declining?

Postby thenobodies80 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:31 pm

This topic makes me laugh every single time I check it. :roll:
It's interesting how much time people spend posting on things that don't belong to them or they don't know a shit about.
I'm not flaming or trying to offend anyone, just this 2 years topic is one the most silly thing I've ever seen.

Continue to think, post or look at CC with negativity doesn't make the things better, but exactly the opposite.
Please, stop to spread negativity just for the sake of it, instead play and enjoy the site...if a day it will fail (and I do not think), then you will have 25 bucks more in your pocket.
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby notyou2 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:37 pm

thenobodies80 wrote:This topic makes me laugh every single time I check it. :roll:
It's interesting how much time people spend posting on things that don't belong to them or they don't know a shit about.
I'm not flaming or trying to offend anyone, just this 2 years topic is one the most silly thing I've ever seen.

Continue to think, post or look at CC with negativity doesn't make the things better, but exactly the opposite.
Please, stop to spread negativity just for the sake of it, instead play and enjoy the site...if a day it will fail (and I do not think), then you will have 25 bucks more in your pocket.

Can I have your $25.00 too?
Captain notyou2

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:53 pm

thenobodies80 wrote:This topic makes me laugh every single time I check it. :roll:

Nobodies you really don't know me if you think I come here to gloat about the decline of CC. I love the place as much as anyone, and I very much want to see it succeed. I use this thread as a thermometer, to check the health of the patient, a patient who I would love to restore to health if only I knew how.

When we drop below certain levels, we lose the critical mass to do certain things. When I joined CC, 128-player tournaments were common. Now they are rare, and I think the most recent couple of 128-player tourneys that were posted eventually got trimmed down to 64. I'm sure the more famous TOs can still fill a 128-seater, but the point is that in the past an average TO could do it, which is no longer the case. The patient is ill, and I'm not ashamed of speaking openly of his illness out of concern, not out of malice (although obviously there are some posts in this thread that have malice a-plenty, they are in the minority.)
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby codierose on Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:10 pm

thenobodies80 wrote:instead play and enjoy the site....

i do play but no longer enjoy it, i will look forward the extra 25 bucks in my pocket this year
Major codierose

Postby nicestash on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:50 pm

Dukasaur wrote:

Nobodies you really don't know me if you think I come here to gloat about the decline of CC. I love the place as much as anyone, and I very much want to see it succeed. I use this thread as a thermometer, to check the health of the patient, a patient who I would love to restore to health if only I knew how.

When we drop below certain levels, we lose the critical mass to do certain things. When I joined CC, 128-player tournaments were common. Now they are rare, and I think the most recent couple of 128-player tourneys that were posted eventually got trimmed down to 64. I'm sure the more famous TOs can still fill a 128-seater, but the point is that in the past an average TO could do it, which is no longer the case. The patient is ill, and I'm not ashamed of speaking openly of his illness out of concern, not out of malice (although obviously there are some posts in this thread that have malice a-plenty, they are in the minority.)

This is probably because of the medals. I'd rather have a 1/16 chance of winning a tournament and getting a medal than a 1/128 chance
Major nicestash

Postby thenobodies80 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:23 pm

Dukasaur wrote:

I understand what you're saying. I can see the good behind your words. And my post wasn't referred to you. O:)
But still believe that the problem is not how many players we have on the site, but instead the behaviour of them.
For too much time few have ruined the experience of too many.
I have also my opinion of what we can do to restore the health of the patient.

You say the patient is ill, that's true....but i don't think the cure is a quick one, or at least so quick to consider the players on the scoreboard a real data to collect info about what we have to do.

You talk about 128 players tournaments that do not fill....we have actually 14932 players on the scoreboard...and you can't fill a tournament?
128 players is about the 0,85% of the people that has played in the last 30 days, so nothing...and you can't fill the tournament?
Sorry but again the scoreboard is not the answer here, again we need to understand why people do not play tournaments, the reason behind it.
Or better, we should understand why people play tournaments.
To win? that's certain, everyone here play to win....but what i continue to think is how many play also to have fun?

If we are surrounded only by medal hunters, by people who want to play just for points, by people who play only with is own clan....then certainly you can't fill your tournament.
As said I think the disease is the behaviour of a large part of players, the way to "live" the site, the way many of them use to spit on newcomers faces just to steal their points and climb this damned scorebaord....as said I think there're many reasons...but mostly i think that if this site will die is for the necessity of few to have "more than just fun".

Maybe some can not share my way to see at this problem, afterall everyone want to play for his own reasons...but certainly if I look back at the day I joined this site I can certainly see the difference in the people here.

Call me stupid, fool or whatever else you want but again it's just a behaviour problem....that's why I suggested to try to play, have fun and enjoy the site...if you smile you can see the sun also in a raining day...in that moment 15000 players are not so few, because they can be 15000 occasion to smile again and again and again...

However, Dukasaur, it wasn't really about you, i know you're a good guy...continue to post here if you want or if you feel it's important for a reason I can't see or understand...just I don't think it helps.

Nobodies
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby Gillipig on Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:28 pm

Aaaaaaa....wall of text too long......can't.....read....it all....*passes out*

On the positive side of things we can all look forward to a new summer low in terms of active users. See you guys in June, I will start postig here when it goes below 12 000 users hehe.
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby jester88 on Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:48 am

I love cc
New Recruit jester88

Postby TeeGee on Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:00 am

jester88 wrote:I love cc

And cc loves its community members and does everything it can to protect them from all evils like the imaginary harth empire
Major TeeGee
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Location: Traversing the Multiverse, looking for a Yak with 3 ears

Postby Falkomagno on Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:23 am

I love the site as well. but i think, at this point,( not when the thread starts), actually, i notice some reduction of players. I notice solely in the number of players connected. Before, when i remember checking that one or two years ago, it was around 800. Now is around 400.

Besides that, my experience is basically the same, with games that fill in relatively quick, an active forum, and a constant inflow of new maps. Some minor tweeks make the experience a bit better but nothing major. The last one truly major upgrade i think it was the Trench option, which maybe was a year ago?

When the games start to take too much time to fill in, when the community start to disband, things like that, then I would say that I would stop coming. So far so good.
Sergeant Falkomagno

Location: Even in a rock or in a piece of wood. In sunsets often

Postby KingRat on Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:28 am

So I'm sure this must have been mentioned before but.....

Could it be that people aren't enthused about playing at a site who's design looks like something out of an old Web 1.0 intro to html hardcover book?

This place needs a facelift in the baddest way.

I'm 40 and I feel like this website is older than me.

How do we expect today's digital warriors to mentally check in at a place like this?

The face of this site is our marketing to the world at large and we look like a run down used up prostitute.

People want it to look slick - they want to feel like they are hanging with their peeps and it's cool.

We need to deliver on that expectation.

It's like one of those institutional buildings made of concrete and steel so you can hose down the shit and piss at the end of the day.

Ugly, cold and efficient.

Take it up a notch - it's easy and cheap!

Spend a little money on a facelift!

The place has great maps, great game play options, a great community and a simple easy to use interface.

But it looks like total shit!

P.S. That CC logo was old when I was watching A Team re runs as a kid.
Highest Score: 3266

Cook KingRat

Postby Gillipig on Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:38 pm

14458, and yes all said above have been said ages ago, it'd been said but not done anything against. I would've thought that the new owner wanted to change the outlook of the site without even being coherced. Just seems like a natural thing to do when you take over a site, to give it a face lift. But appearantly it's staying. El jefe is frighteningly much like lackattack.
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby Funkyterrance on Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:19 pm

KingRat wrote:So I'm sure this must have been mentioned before but.....

Could it be that people aren't enthused about playing at a site who's design looks like something out of an old Web 1.0 intro to html hardcover book?

This place needs a facelift in the baddest way.

I'm 40 and I feel like this website is older than me.

How do we expect today's digital warriors to mentally check in at a place like this?

The face of this site is our marketing to the world at large and we look like a run down used up prostitute.

People want it to look slick - they want to feel like they are hanging with their peeps and it's cool.

We need to deliver on that expectation.

It's like one of those institutional buildings made of concrete and steel so you can hose down the shit and piss at the end of the day.

Ugly, cold and efficient.

Take it up a notch - it's easy and cheap!

Spend a little money on a facelift!

The place has great maps, great game play options, a great community and a simple easy to use interface.

But it looks like total shit!

P.S. That CC logo was old when I was watching A Team re runs as a kid.

I've often thought about the feel of the website and it's difficult to judge whether a change would be beneficial or not. I admit when my coworker showed me the site several years ago it seemed pretty bland and low-tech. However, this guy is a risk nut and he obviously didn't care in the slightest. So one question I have is: "Is conquer club only attracting long term risk fans?" If so, yeah, a facelift and whatever else may be in order so that even people who have never played risk in real life might be drawn to the site.

The other side of the coin is the fact that the site's members seem to be well rounded, geographically speaking. This means a more varied group of computers and internet connections. If you juice up the site too much, these players are left out in the cold.

So I suppose it may be a question of balance. Too much flash and the site will become less accessible, too little and some might get bored. It had to be mentioned though that of all the people I've ever heard gripe and complain to the point where they threaten to quit, none of them has ever had the drab-ness of the site as their reason.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby jsnyder748 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:32 pm

if they made it feel more like the video games that are coming out now a days this website would shoot up in popularity. I mean conquer club is cheaper than....basically every other game there is.

by looking like a video games I mean upgraded graphics and well.....more new age designing code stuff
Colonel jsnyder748

Postby KingRat on Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:43 pm

you can change the overll look of the website easily without adding computing overhead - were talking esthetics. think of it as upgrading 1960's paint and wallpaper with on trend colours and styles. This is not difficult!

Cook KingRat

Postby codierose on Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:28 pm

jsnyder748 wrote:if they made it feel more like the video games that are coming out now a days this website would shoot up in popularity. I mean conquer club is cheaper than....basically every other game there is.

by looking like a video games I mean upgraded graphics and well.....more new age designing code stuff

i wouldn't say cheaper but does feel cheap
here is one that's cheaper http://www.teamfortress.com/
Major codierose

Postby isaiah40 on Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:14 pm

Gillipig wrote:14458, and yes all said above have been said ages ago, it'd been said but not done anything against. I would've thought that the new owner wanted to change the outlook of the site without even being coherced. Just seems like a natural thing to do when you take over a site, to give it a face lift. But appearantly it's staying. El jefe is frighteningly much like lackattack.

Well, considering that you are not in the know, how can you say that El Jefe is like lack?? There are some things going on behind the scenes that you don't know about, things that have priority over a UI change. For instance, fixing lacks code so the site runs smoother and faster. Changing the code and testing it before it goes live to make sure the major bugs are worked out. The face lift is way down on the list of things to do.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby rdsrds2120 on Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:44 pm

isaiah40 wrote:
Gillipig wrote:14458, and yes all said above have been said ages ago, it'd been said but not done anything against. I would've thought that the new owner wanted to change the outlook of the site without even being coherced. Just seems like a natural thing to do when you take over a site, to give it a face lift. But appearantly it's staying. El jefe is frighteningly much like lackattack.

Well, considering that you are not in the know, how can you say that El Jefe is like lack?? There are some things going on behind the scenes that you don't know about, things that have priority over a UI change. For instance, fixing lacks code so the site runs smoother and faster. Changing the code and testing it before it goes live to make sure the major bugs are worked out. The face lift is way down on the list of things to do.

This is correct. As much as we know that a facelift is important (and imminent), streamlining/reframing the database so that multiple people can work on it quickly in the future proves to be a better long term investment. Underwhelming since it's nothing user-end, but it is certainly exciting as it open up more coding options for our programmers. For example, plans are already moving to incorporate AJAX into the site which opens us up to a couple of cool things involving looking slick and new-agey :)

BMO
Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120

Postby KingRat on Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:15 pm

rdsrds2120 wrote: As much as we know that a facelift is important (and imminent)

BMO

Enough said. This Cyberian will wait with baited breath.

KR

Cook KingRat

Postby Gillipig on Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:45 pm

isaiah40 wrote:

Well I guess since I'm not in "the know" I have to do what everyone else has to do, look at what he has accomplished so far, and everything he's done, are things I would expect lack to do. I have seen nothing that separates him from lack and his leadership style so far. He's anonymus, he rarely interacts with members or play games (just like lack), updates are promised long in advance, way before they become implemented (just like lack), despite the falling number of members he hasn't made any major overhaul of the site, just minor tweaks (just like lack). After reading his Q&A with the newsletter team, I got the feeling el jefe and lackattack were actually the same person. Now that's most likely not the case but it doesn't make me more optimistic about him being that much different from lack.
It may be that he has tons of updates that lackattack would never have implemented planned, but until those updates are actually made, you can't say he's any different from lackattack, because if there was one thing lackattack did it was making promises, promises that he didn't hold.
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby Butters1919 on Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:21 pm

Gillipig wrote: or play games (just like lack)

Only on this point can I comment. He most certainly plays games. Why don't you actually look into that before making that statement. Not only does he play games, he signs up for tournaments (one of them being a Conquer Cup, which is a discussion of it's own) and plays speed games. He's far more interactive in that capacity. Likely, most playing games with him don't know he's the owner of the site.
Cook Butters1919

Postby Qwert on Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:23 pm

13910 players active! ,, these are not good,
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Gillipig on Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:31 am

13838 right now, these are the lowest I've seen.
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby Woodruff on Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:36 pm

Butters1919 wrote:
Gillipig wrote: or play games (just like lack)

Only on this point can I comment. He most certainly plays games. Why don't you actually look into that before making that statement. Not only does he play games, he signs up for tournaments (one of them being a Conquer Cup, which is a discussion of it's own) and plays speed games. He's far more interactive in that capacity. Likely, most playing games with him don't know he's the owner of the site.

Maybe I looked up the wrong guy, but I only see 18 games played. Did I look up the wrong guy?
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby Butters1919 on Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:53 pm

Woodruff wrote:Maybe I looked up the wrong guy, but I only see 18 games played. Did I look up the wrong guy?

El_Jefe
Cook Butters1919

PreviousNext

Return to Conquer Club Discussion