Page 1 of 1

New player and my thoughts on the site.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:53 pm
by brokenenglishftw
As a new player I must say; The game great, the forum active, the people friendly. However; I think the website needs a MAJOR face-lift. I feel like I'm on an early 2000's game site ( which I assume this started in).

I kinda figured the staff/ creators are older and don't like a lot of change but as a computer consultant and a website owner myself, I think you guys could REALLY improve this site as far as the looks are concerned.

Please take no offence to this, this is positive constructive criticism. =D>

Re: New player and my thoughts on the site.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:10 pm
by bedub1
<Removed>

Re: New player and my thoughts on the site.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:19 pm
by Funkyterrance
I felt this way when I first joined but now I enjoy it's purity. I think their argument is that it's accessible to anyone, even those whose computers are out-of-date. There has recently been a change in the position of site administrator so you may get your wish but I personally applaud the site for staying this way. Also, I don't think it affects my enjoyment of the game one iota.

Re: New player and my thoughts on the site.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:31 pm
by koontz1973
I love the look of the site. Nice, friendly and easy to get around. If a revamp was to happen, and I would love to see one, my only hope is that we do not get to far away from the template we have now. Lots could be done with what we already have and give the site a really nifty look to it.

Re: New player and my thoughts on the site.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:34 pm
by Army of GOD
Also, 12 player games

Re: New player and my thoughts on the site.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:13 pm
by ManBungalow
10 player games > 12 player games.


But yes, it does all look quite old. However, most gaming websites I've seen are full of ads, big images, and have fancy interactive Java/Flash windows everywhere, making the page quite slow to load and not so quick to respond.

I think I'd make the home page slightly more shiny, but - as I said - none of the fancy stuff; so it's a fine balance. And the .gif animation on the home page doesn't really show off the maps. In fact, I feel that the home page should properly portray the Classic map, to make it more clear to a new user that they will be playing Risk.

Regardless, there are other features which should be updated/included also. As I phrase this post with the aim of securing new users in mind (ie. from the perspective of the owners), that should be a proper induction - perhaps with a simple tutorial available.

Re: New player and my thoughts on the site.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:29 pm
by Army of GOD
ManBungalow wrote:10 player games > 12 player games.


But yes, it does all look quite old. However, most gaming websites I've seen are full of ads, big images, and have fancy interactive Java/Flash windows everywhere, making the page quite slow to load and not so quick to respond.

I think I'd make the home page slightly more shiny, but - as I said - none of the fancy stuff; so it's a fine balance. And the .gif animation on the home page doesn't really show off the maps. In fact, I feel that the home page should properly portray the Classic map, to make it more clear to a new user that they will be playing Risk.

Regardless, there are other features which should be updated/included also. As I phrase this post with the aim of securing new users in mind (ie. from the perspective of the owners), that should be a proper induction - perhaps with a simple tutorial available.


f*ck you

Re: New player and my thoughts on the site.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:36 pm
by DoomYoshi
I want a minimalist look. I want nothing on the screen at all.

Re: New player and my thoughts on the site.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:07 pm
by AAFitz
brokenenglishftw wrote:As a new player I must say; The game great, the forum active, the people friendly. However; I think the website needs a MAJOR face-lift. I feel like I'm on an early 2000's game site ( which I assume this started in).

I kinda figured the staff/ creators are older and don't like a lot of change but as a computer consultant and a website owner myself, I think you guys could REALLY improve this site as far as the looks are concerned.

Please take no offence to this, this is positive constructive criticism. =D>


Many people say that, but I disagree. I enjoy the simple to read interface, which carries over to the game.

Ive played on so called prettier sites, and while they may win more artistic awards, from a players perspective, they are not as clear or easier to follow.

I am biased though, as Im older for one, and two really care much more about the strategy of the game and the opponents, not the look of it.

Re: New player and my thoughts on the site.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:55 pm
by BigBallinStalin
As Martin Luther King Jr. once said:

"Never judge a website by the color of its home page."

I would image that discrimination based on other appearances would be equally contemptuous.

All of you are racists.

Re: New player and my thoughts on the site.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:02 pm
by vonraider
I'm old, and I hate change!

Re: New player and my thoughts on the site.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:44 pm
by gordon1975
dont change it,it would confuse stupid people like me

Re: New player and my thoughts on the site.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:18 am
by Gillipig
Funkyterrance wrote:I felt this way when I first joined but now I enjoy it's purity. I think their argument is that it's accessible to anyone, even those whose computers are out-of-date. There has recently been a change in the position of site administrator so you may get your wish but I personally applaud the site for staying this way. Also, I don't think it affects my enjoyment of the game one iota.

koontz1973 wrote:I love the look of the site. Nice, friendly and easy to get around. If a revamp was to happen, and I would love to see one, my only hope is that we do not get to far away from the template we have now. Lots could be done with what we already have and give the site a really nifty look to it.

Couldn't disagree more with you guys on this. Like the OP I have stressed the need for a face lift, and I've done it for years. Nothing has happened. User input is not valued very high on this site. Maybe things will change with the new owner, if I was the owner it would be the first thing I'd change, to set the tone and show that he's serious about revamping the site. The site has been declining for years, the interface have been lagging behind more than anything. Fix it, and fix it as quick as possible.

Re: New player and my thoughts on the site.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:40 pm
by Just_essence
Especially when you add in the dice patch possibility, although I've only ever seen one person knowing how to do it on the recoded (current) site and posting about it.

Re: New player and my thoughts on the site.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:45 pm
by Dukasaur
Gillipig wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:I felt this way when I first joined but now I enjoy it's purity. I think their argument is that it's accessible to anyone, even those whose computers are out-of-date. There has recently been a change in the position of site administrator so you may get your wish but I personally applaud the site for staying this way. Also, I don't think it affects my enjoyment of the game one iota.

koontz1973 wrote:I love the look of the site. Nice, friendly and easy to get around. If a revamp was to happen, and I would love to see one, my only hope is that we do not get to far away from the template we have now. Lots could be done with what we already have and give the site a really nifty look to it.

Couldn't disagree more with you guys on this. Like the OP I have stressed the need for a face lift, and I've done it for years. Nothing has happened. User input is not valued very high on this site. Maybe things will change with the new owner, if I was the owner it would be the first thing I'd change, to set the tone and show that he's serious about revamping the site. The site has been declining for years, the interface have been lagging behind more than anything. Fix it, and fix it as quick as possible.

Maybe the site has been declining, but I don't see adding a bunch of annoying flashy graphics as being an improvement. The simpler and more text-based the better. The seamless and easily-comprehensible interface is one of the things that I would rank highly on this site. Also, the relatively low bandwidth that it uses.

Re: New player and my thoughts on the site.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:06 pm
by Metsfanmax
I am definitely of the fan of the simple interface. This game is not intended to be anything more than a very simple browser based game. Making it more graphics intensive would be even more of a pain for people with slow connections.

Re: New player and my thoughts on the site.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:28 am
by kentington
Metsfanmax wrote:I am definitely of the fan of the simple interface. This game is not intended to be anything more than a very simple browser based game. Making it more graphics intensive would be even more of a pain for people with slow connections.


I agree whole-heartedly.
Some of us access this site mostly from mobile devices, and are thankful for the quick loads.

Re: New player and my thoughts on the site.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:54 am
by swimmerdude99
I like the simplicity of the site right now. I like the view, the easy navigation, the easy to use interface and easy to understand controls and such. Also it can load on nearly any computer with any browser, doesn't take anything special to be able to run it successfully or to enjoy it to the fullest.

Re: New player and my thoughts on the site.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:15 am
by Funkyterrance
I remember I went over to my friends house once and his dad was playing risk(copyright) on the computer. There were options to watch the battles etc. but after about one viewing of this you turned the function off. My point is that bells/whistles do not necessarily equal a more enjoyable risk experience/community. :D

Re: New player and my thoughts on the site.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:16 am
by Gillipig
Dukasaur wrote:
Gillipig wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:I felt this way when I first joined but now I enjoy it's purity. I think their argument is that it's accessible to anyone, even those whose computers are out-of-date. There has recently been a change in the position of site administrator so you may get your wish but I personally applaud the site for staying this way. Also, I don't think it affects my enjoyment of the game one iota.

koontz1973 wrote:I love the look of the site. Nice, friendly and easy to get around. If a revamp was to happen, and I would love to see one, my only hope is that we do not get to far away from the template we have now. Lots could be done with what we already have and give the site a really nifty look to it.

Couldn't disagree more with you guys on this. Like the OP I have stressed the need for a face lift, and I've done it for years. Nothing has happened. User input is not valued very high on this site. Maybe things will change with the new owner, if I was the owner it would be the first thing I'd change, to set the tone and show that he's serious about revamping the site. The site has been declining for years, the interface have been lagging behind more than anything. Fix it, and fix it as quick as possible.

Maybe the site has been declining, but I don't see adding a bunch of annoying flashy graphics as being an improvement. The simpler and more text-based the better. The seamless and easily-comprehensible interface is one of the things that I would rank highly on this site. Also, the relatively low bandwidth that it uses.

Who said anything about annoying flashy graphics?

Re: New player and my thoughts on the site.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:23 am
by Just_essence
Annoying flashy graphics are easy decorations, and so is used a lot when redesigning a website's visuals.

-

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:33 pm
by Eddygp
Let it stay as it is.