Conquer Club

CC ghost town.

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

CC ghost town.

Postby elfish_lad on Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:22 pm

I was gone from CC for a couple of years. Woo. Hoo. Big deal. I know. Zero care there. I burned out and left. Phffft. There you do go.

However, coming back I never would have believed that I would come back to a ghost town. I know there are tonnes of players. Last night, while I was giving a generous hummer all night long to the unbelievably still whacky dice (he told me I done good) there were over 500 people logged on. Cool. Yay Big Whammer. Make that scratch buddy.

But what has happened? There is no newsletter. No serious clan banter. No big activity on the community message board. I still see seriously good players offering games but they are all silent.

What, in your opinion, has happened? I'm curious on your take.

E.
Major elfish_lad

Re: CC ghost town.

Postby Compound on Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:29 pm

There was a cataclysmic event that wiped out most of the local population. No one knows what happened, but we found the word "Croatoan" carved in a tree.
Corporal Compound

Postby TheForgivenOne on Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:31 pm

But honestly, I think some games like this only have a life cycle that can last so long for people. I know I ended up getting burnt out too, and people don't end up stepping up to volunteer. I know I remember seeing a post along the lines of "How come there are so few mods?" or more specifically, aimed towards the Cartographers.

Well, if nobody is stepping up to volunteer, it's hard to keep something going.
Game 1675072
2018-08-09 16:02:06 - Mageplunka69: its jamaica map and TFO that keep me on this site
Major TheForgivenOne

Postby eddie2 on Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:12 pm

Wow there all coming back. Welcome back elfish do hope you will play more than your route 66, especially since it took you a couple of years to complete it :mrgreen:
Lieutenant eddie2

Postby waauw on Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:25 pm

Long ago, CC lived together in harmony. Then, everything changed when the Troll Nation attacked. Only the Global mod, master of all fora, could stop them, but when CC needed him most, he vanished. Years passed and Riskllama and IamCaffeine discovered the new mod, a lizard named Dukasaur. And although his trollsmashing skills are great, he has a lot to learn before he's ready to save anyone. But I believe Dukkie can save the world.
Lieutenant waauw

Postby IcePack on Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:23 pm

elfish_lad wrote:I was gone from CC for a couple of years. Woo. Hoo. Big deal. I know. Zero care there. I burned out and left. Phffft. There you do go.

However, coming back I never would have believed that I would come back to a ghost town. I know there are tonnes of players. Last night, while I was giving a generous hummer all night long to the unbelievably still whacky dice (he told me I done good) there were over 500 people logged on. Cool. Yay Big Whammer. Make that scratch buddy.

But what has happened? There is no newsletter. No serious clan banter. No big activity on the community message board. I still see seriously good players offering games but they are all silent.

What, in your opinion, has happened? I'm curious on your take.

E.

I regularly see 600-750 on during the day, numbers drift down to 275-400 overnight from what I see.
Newsletter went away when the mod running it left and it didn't recover. There's now a clan only platoon report monthly newsletter, you can see the February one in left menu announcements right now.
Clan banter has died down I would agree, some of the biggest personalities aren't around anymore and others haven't taken their place to keep up the chatter. Some newer rivals have emerged (FALL vs LHDD?) and it's more competitive at the top, no big controversies in awhile etc.
I think people are just enjoying the game more, less forum activity in general has calmed some of the bigger and more controversial occurrences.
Still alive, just quieter.
Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby owenshooter on Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:50 pm

IcePack wrote:I think people are just enjoying the game more, less forum activity in general has calmed some of the bigger and more controversial occurrences.
Still alive, just quieter.

disagree 10,000%... you can gauge the life/numbers of this site by the forums. we were routinely listed in the top 3 chat sites for chat rooms, not anymore. our flame wars was also routinely number 2 or 1 (shocking), admins killed it by banning members and waging an open war on the forum community... Clan Wars actually meant something and war threads were regularly locked when they turned ugly (people wanted each others blood), i won't even discuss the changes in the clan world.

i seriously point back to the demise of flame wars, followed by the rule change for speed games as the tipping points. once you lost a huge chunk of forum content (flame wars drove this forum, even i won't deny that) and then lost a captive audience waiting for their turns and pouring through the forums for entertainment. the members went away, the posts went down, the game numbers dropped. throw in the watered down settings and influx of garbage maps (so people could get their shiny medals), and this site was just about to hit terminal velocity heading straight for the ground...

people have discussed ad naseam how to bring the site back, how to breath breathe into the site, how to make sense of the jumbled maps and confusing pages... none of that has changed... instead, we get tic-tac-toe, another risk game with sounds and animation, chess, tribes & clans (whatever that is, still have no idea), and a litany of other garbage. i love this site. i'll leave when they shutter it. and that is coming from someone the site targeted to get rid of (how did that work out, andy?). say what you want about gaming consoles, blah, blah, blah... there are a ton of smart kids that like strategy games, young guys/gals in their 20's that are looking for something like this to play while at work or in class (ha) and peeps in their 30/40's that grew up playing this game, to keep this place alive.

the "Calming of the bigger and controversial occurrences", shows how far off the path this site is. give me back wicked, give me back the old clans that gave a f*ck and came to kill in clan wars, give me back the forum i was afraid to post in until i had been here for a month (took me almost a year to go to off topics/flame wars), give me back members so impassioned they recorded songs on youtube about the site/moderators, give me members making instructional or ad-ish videos about the site on youtube, give me mods faking their deaths and banning anyone that called bullshit on it, give me SOMETHING to show people are passionate about this site... the controversies kept this place going, like a shot of adrenalin!! how many old clan wars were started in the forums and finished with a battle and locked clan war thread? and if you don't want controversy, how about the time a former mod was ARRESTED IN ALASKA FOR STEALING THE INTERNET TO PLAY CC and it hit the AP Wires?!! he "stole" the freaking wireless internet, UNHEARD of back then and ridiculous today!! what about Happy2seeyou going to a risk convention and giving the nerds mega boners?!!! this place was the tits (no, happy, multiple children later, you still do not have boobs)... sigh... THE. GOOD. OLD. DAYS...

a freaking shadow... this place is a freaking shadow of the shadow of what it once was... below is some old school CC love-Jésus noir

CELEBRATION OF MAPS!!!

my very first post... *sniff*
owenshooter wrote:i voted after it was well decided... but i always knew it in my heart...-0

WICKED, I'M FREE!!! - so damn classic, "give meeeeeeee, a goddamn cheeseburger..."

FREE MUSTARD!!! BECAUSE WICKED'S A BITCH!!! - one of DaGips best!!!

Members made videos about this damn place!!

Ahhhh.... this would never happen today...
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
makes it ever so much more erotically thrilling"
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby jdw35 on Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:08 pm

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
Major jdw35

Postby elfish_lad on Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:30 pm

Really appreciate the responses so far. As few as they are. Really enjoyed seeing the vids again Owen. Cheers.

I've been thinking about this a lot today. Especially having played some games in the last 24 hours with someone I'm sure is a multi. Or? At the very least? A very large asshole. Back in my first year the community handled assholes themselves. They were called out. They were humiliated. They were foed, punished, ganged up on, thrashed. Thoroughly thrashed. As they should be. Any where in life.

A healthy vibrant community (be it virtual or otherwise) polices itself. As a former headmaster of grade schools I saw it all the time on the play ground. Hell. I preached it: stand up for yourself, don't look for a volunteer mom to get the bully to stop picking on you, stand. up. for yourself. You'll get sent home for a day but you won't be bullied again.

I've always thought it bad form to have message board mods police the boards. Have rules that we all sign up for, then have mods enforce them. But let us police ourselves. If not? You kill our spirit.

I miss lackattack. He sucked at the game. But it was awesome when he showed up.

I miss king herpes. Talk about a player/poster who would call you on sanctimony? He was king. Hell of a player too.

On the message board? Fruitcake scared the shit out of me. Talk about smart.

I miss drinking a magnum of Shiraz with CoF from Vancouver to Hong Kong and back. Gawd he would give me shit about my bad play.

Even though I couldn't take the vitriol between top clans anymore, I miss reading it. Trapyoung and chemfreak going at it.

It all made the site vibrant for me.

Now it's just a game.

Maybe that's just the way life goes. But bland, prosaic and calm is over rated in my books.

I'm still interested in your thoughts. My intent isn't merely to whine about the loss of the past, but to try to put my finger on what made this place so dull.

E.
Major elfish_lad

Postby Bernie Sanders on Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:07 pm

So...this site has become bland in taste.

Fuckin A, Owenshooter makes sense. This site needs a shot in the arm. Looks like the moderators in the past killed the free thinkers and rebel rousers that made the forum interesting, which of bled into the games.

I like to make a motion.....Owenshooter for Forum Director, will someone second the motion. We'll have to make a thread to make a final vote for/against Owenshooter to be Forum Director.

Will Owenshooter develop a thin skin and start banning forum users [he's known to have thin skin] or will he make the forum the Wild West and bring back the excitement of old?
Sergeant 1st Class Bernie Sanders

Postby Compound on Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:55 pm

The internet changes so fast...
We need to find to way to make CC a meme...
Wait no memes were last week.
Corporal Compound

Postby riskllama on Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:46 pm

nice post, owen...
that's pretty impressive, seeing people care that much about this site, or used to, anyways...
i think i would like a little chaos and controversy with my daily dose of CC.
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby macbone on Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:05 pm

Yeah, elfish, it's sad to see. I remember when I was scared to post in GD and Off-topics, too. Now, both places are pretty calm. Speed games have all but died. Less games are open to join than in the past.

Sites come and go. I'm active on one other site that's all text-based, and it's as popular now as it was when I joined 7+ years ago. I think CC could be there, too. I don't buy the story that games like CC have had their day and are being passed over for newer games with shiny graphics, not when a freaking text-based game site is still going strong after all this time.
Colonel macbone

Postby riskllama on Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:33 pm

maybe bigwhup should start listening to the people that pay his fucking mortgage... O:)
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby ConfederateSS on Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:28 am

elfish_lad wrote:Really appreciate the responses so far. As few as they are. Really enjoyed seeing the vids again Owen. Cheers.

I've been thinking about this a lot today. Especially having played some games in the last 24 hours with someone I'm sure is a multi. Or? At the very least? A very large asshole. Back in my first year the community handled assholes themselves. They were called out. They were humiliated. They were foed, punished, ganged up on, thrashed. Thoroughly thrashed. As they should be. Any where in life.

A healthy vibrant community (be it virtual or otherwise) polices itself. As a former headmaster of grade schools I saw it all the time on the play ground. Hell. I preached it: stand up for yourself, don't look for a volunteer mom to get the bully to stop picking on you, stand. up. for yourself. You'll get sent home for a day but you won't be bullied again.

I've always thought it bad form to have message board mods police the boards. Have rules that we all sign up for, then have mods enforce them. But let us police ourselves. If not? You kill our spirit.

-------The High Command drove 1,000's and 1,000's away...Ignoring the many for the sake of a few cry babies...I totally agree in policing ourselves... I go after deadbeats in my own style of frontier justice. When ever I can get my hands on one. CandA... :lol: :lol: :lol: ...What a joke.......................
-------I've watched many warriors that I've played with on a regular basis vanish. :( ...But there are a few of us who keep the flame of hope burning brightly in C.C.Land. That the site will return to Glory...As I watch the tumbleweed roll on bye. I can see those great warriors returning...Like you Elf... :D :D :D ConfederateSS.out!(The Blue and Silver Rebellion)... :D :D :D ...Then there are those who will never return...Like Mr.Moody...Old soldiers never die...They just fade away... =D> =D> =D> A tip of the cap...to all THE GREAT ONES... O:) O:) O:)
Corporal 1st Class ConfederateSS

Location: THE CONFEDERATE STATES of AMERICA and THE OLD WEST!

Postby ronsizzle on Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:20 am

i remember my second month calling out thota, and finding a bunch of friends on here, and naming a clan the trouts.

that was a fucking blast.

cc sucks now guys. sorry.
Sergeant 1st Class ronsizzle

Postby elfish_lad on Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:54 am

Meh. I don't think CC sucks Ron. Changed significantly? Yo. Look at you. Not slobbering stoned out of your mind and a new pop.

And we had something to do with burning out site leaders too I would guess.

Maybe Cc got too cool, too awesome, too crazy that it as a community and phenomenon just imploded under its own weight. Unsustainable awesome. Like Pink Floyd. They had to collapse and I had to stop smoking so much weed.

Probably a healthy thang.

E.
Major elfish_lad

Postby waauw on Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:15 am

elfish_lad wrote:Meh. I don't think CC sucks Ron. Changed significantly? Yo. Look at you. Not slobbering stoned out of your mind and a new pop.

And we had something to do with burning out site leaders too I would guess.

Maybe Cc got too cool, too awesome, too crazy that it as a community and phenomenon just imploded under its own weight. Unsustainable awesome. Like Pink Floyd. They had to collapse and I had to stop smoking so much weed.

Probably a healthy thang.

E.

According to google analytics the interest in the game 'Risk' has declined over the years. Not that certain policy choices weren't contributing factors, but a general fall of popularity in the game as a whole is almost certainly a major factor.
Lieutenant waauw

Postby iAmCaffeine on Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:47 am

It's nothing compared to what it used to be like, and I wasn't even around in the supposed golden days. Such a shame. Then again, when you allow racism in the forums, friends of mods to bait and suchlike, what can you expect? The best posters go quiet because they get punished.
Cook iAmCaffeine

Postby eddie2 on Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:53 am

iAmCaffeine wrote:It's nothing compared to what it used to be like, and I wasn't even around in the supposed golden days. Such a shame. Then again, when you allow racism in the forums, friends of mods to bait and suchlike, what can you expect? The best posters go quiet because they get punished.

lol caffine that was what the golden days were. The posters would not go quiet, they would take there punishment (forum ban) and come back with a bang. The main problem is if forum banned you cannot read pms or wall messages. And since more players are involved in clans and other things on site. Where messages are needed they have had to calm down. Split it up and you will see things change.
Lieutenant eddie2

Postby owenshooter on Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:58 am

eddie2 wrote:
iAmCaffeine wrote:The main problem is if forum banned you cannot read pms or wall messages. And since more players are involved in clans and other things on site. Where messages are needed they have had to calm down. Split it up and you will see things change.

yeah.. sorry... you seem to put a real emphasis on clans, and that isn't why the forums have died down... that is just a ridiculous argument... everyone in my clan knows how to contact each other.. most clans have off-site web forums!!! clans had nothing to do with it. sorry. grasping for straws. go and read my post, clans played ZERO part in the forums/community going away. clans are lamer now than ever, but they are more responsible for the destruction of the overall gaming on the site... IMPOSSIBLE MAP/FOG/TRENCH vs. IMPOSSIBLE MAP/FOG/TRENCH... hell, we all know most clans have a guy that looks at each turn before they are taken. a few even have one or two players that take all the turns.

clans aren't what they were. the days of Thota/Stashwhackers/Spanking Monkeys/BpB/etc, are over... there aren't any rivalries... nobody follows clan war threads.. nobody is poking into clan war games and posting, that isn't involved. when we had clan wars, they were events. they were throw downs. you felt it across the entire site. people knew what the f*ck was going on. now, who gives a f*ck? sorry, clans have next to nothing to do with the state of the forums. the mods driving people away in droves and the rule changes, dilution of game settings and over saturation of crap maps are to blame. clans. ha!-Jésus noir

p.s.-Ron Ron!!! remember when i was banned for calling a group of 6 people the original BpB clan?!! "YOU ARE NOT A CLAN! YOU MaY NOT SAY THAT!"... then, we were banned for SPAMMING THE FORUMS with our sigs (which everyone now does)... THEN came the threat of throwing everyone in jail for having real life photos of ourselves in our sig, "THAT IS AGAINST THE RULES!!! YOU MAY NOT POST PERSONAL INFO AND PICS ARE PERSONAL INFO!!! oh, and lets not forget the wicked battle... tell me anything a current clan has done to fucking shake this site to the core like clans did back in the day... ZERO...
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
makes it ever so much more erotically thrilling"
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby IcePack on Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:07 pm

Owen #1, I was comparing now to when I started, not the times you are referring to (I wasn't around for flame wars and half of what you posted).

#2 I wasn't saying less controversial was good, I was just saying people were around but quieter.

I'd love to see some excitement and passion again. I remember a few big controversies when I first came around / got into clans and how it was pretty exciting and crazy times.

Edit / fast posted by Owen.
You remind me of a old war vet going on about Vietnam and how the gold ol days used to be. I swear half the posts are copy and pasted and repeating the same stuff over and over again.

Some of those things do still happen in clans, but you & the BPB are so far removed from what's actually happening (and by your own admission don't know what some things even are) that you wouldn't know about it even if it was occurring.

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby eddie2 on Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:32 pm

Lol. Na owen i was putting the emphisis on the fact most of the good banter was a spill over from the clan scene. It was there that created a lot of rivalry between players that spilt over into the forums. Throw in a couple of odd know it alls (like you owen lol) because really bpb are not a real clan. And a major cheating clan who had the head clan mod. C and a mod so things went one sided to far. And bang all the bickering stopped, all the players i see complaining now it is quiet are the ones complaining reporting posts etc, when forum was more active. They got what they wanted and now they want the old days back lol
Lieutenant eddie2

Postby Donelladan on Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:34 pm

owenshooter wrote: clans are lamer now than ever, but they are more responsible for the destruction of the overall gaming on the site... IMPOSSIBLE MAP/FOG/TRENCH vs. IMPOSSIBLE MAP/FOG/TRENCH... hell, we all know most clans have a guy that looks at each turn before they are taken. a few even have one or two players that take all the turns.

I do not know what's up between you and trench, but trench is a different gameplay to "no trench" game, just like flat rate and escalating are two kind of spoils but with a completly different gameplay. Trench is not more difficult that no trench, it is only different.

You may dislike what the clan world became, it does not mean clan now are lame or bad. You opinion is not divine.
There is many active clans and players very active in the clans, clans world is a reason for many players to stay on CC or to be more involved with CC. Which is proof enough to say that many many people do not share your opinion about clans.

owenshooter wrote:clans aren't what they were. the days of Thota/Stashwhackers/Spanking Monkeys/BpB/etc, are over... there aren't any rivalries... nobody follows clan war threads.. nobody is poking into clan war games and posting, that isn't involved. when we had clan wars, they were events. they were throw downs. you felt it across the entire site. people knew what the f*ck was going on. now, who gives a f*ck?

Last war my clan made, 15 pages, 359 replieds, 17k view, people from many clans replied. So yes many people know what the f*ck is going on and there is people that give a f*ck.
viewtopic.php?f=442&t=213078

Maybe the entire site didn't know about it like in your time. But you know, I am on CC since march 2009, at that time your clan was active, and I've never heard about your clan at the time. I discovered your clan only recently when you started posted in the clan forum in the topic " Top 10 Clans of All Time ".

Just checked some of the clan war your clan made at the time clan world was so glorious.
against THOTA, 10 pages
against IA, 2 pages
against DB, 2 pages
against G1, 4 pages.
Brigadier Donelladan

Next

Return to Conquer Club Discussion