Conquer Club

Maps based on religion?

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Re: Maps based on religion?

Postby CHAMPOS on Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:31 pm

Function trumps form - The style of the graphics should not detract from ease of play: borders should be clear, titles and numbers easy to read, colors easy to distinguish, etc...

Form must follow function - Expect to show some flexibility and be prepared to move away from complete geographical accuracy or historical authenticity: the look and theme of the map must be utterly subservient to gameplay and legibility.[/quote]

Hopefully an historically accurate map with no major gaps is more authentic. Why not go with the geography, religious and political landscape at the time. I do think the function works and gameplay would be good, but will leave those comments for the drafting room...

Hopefully will make it out of drafting one day to see which Religeon prevails....
...boogie
Corporal 1st Class CHAMPOS

Postby Symmetry on Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:24 am

CHAMPOS wrote:This is the way the map has been categorised....The map is based on the kingdoms/empires at he time (with the areas they ruled/controlled) and then categorised by the rulers religion.

Taking a few comments (with the above in mind!)....

Mongol Hordes - The Khan rulers at the time were all still Tengrian rulers, so should probably be Tengrian Mongols.

Eastern Orthodox - The Rus Principalities and Novgorod were effectively under Mongol control in 1250, after the Mongol invasions earlier in the century, this lasted a while

Hinduism - This was by far the dominant religion at the time in the Indian regions, which were independent kingdoms at the time ruled by Hindu kings. Buddhism was peripheral in the region at the time

Buddhism - As pointed out this was more dominant in the region of the Empire of the Great Khan, at the time this was under the control of a Tengrian Mongol Khan.

Thanks for coming in to the thread, C. It's great when mapmakers engage with the community.

I guess my questions are mainly about why you'd choose to make this a religious based map, although I think other posters might have other questions and suggestions.

1) Why religion? It's a controversial topic, and you've already caught flak for it.
2) Did you have a player type or game setting in mind when you created the map?
3) Would you be willing to take the criticism here into account if it improved the map?
4) Do you really think that the Khanate in 1250 was engaged in a holy war?
5) A personal question, and one you should ignore if you want- are you religious?
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby CHAMPOS on Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:14 am

Symmetry wrote:
CHAMPOS wrote:This is the way the map has been categorised....The map is based on the kingdoms/empires at he time (with the areas they ruled/controlled) and then categorised by the rulers religion.

Mongol Hordes - The Khan rulers at the time were all still Tengrian rulers, so should probably be Tengrian Mongols.

Eastern Orthodox - The Rus Principalities and Novgorod were effectively under Mongol control in 1250, after the Mongol invasions earlier in the century, this lasted a while

Hinduism - This was by far the dominant religion at the time in the Indian regions, which were independent kingdoms at the time ruled by Hindu kings. Buddhism was peripheral in the region at the time

Buddhism - As pointed out this was more dominant in the region of the Empire of the Great Khan, at the time this was under the control of a Tengrian Mongol Khan.

Thanks for coming in to the thread, C. It's great when mapmakers engage with the community.

I guess my questions are mainly about why you'd choose to make this a religious based map, although I think other posters might have other questions and suggestions.

1) Why religion? It's a controversial topic, and you've already caught flak for it.
3) Would you be willing to take the criticism here into account if it improved the map?
5) A personal question, and one you should ignore if you want- are you religious?

S

Happy to take comments on board

I think you are missing the point. We canā€™t change history and I canā€™t see any offence to religious positions 1000 years ago!

The map was based on the following...The map is based on the kingdoms/empires at 1250 (with the areas they ruled/controlled in 1250) and then categorised by the rulers religion. Simple really...

Champos
...boogie
Corporal 1st Class CHAMPOS

Postby Symmetry on Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:27 am

CHAMPOS wrote:
Symmetry wrote:

S

Happy to take comments on board

I think you are missing the point. We canā€™t change history and I canā€™t see any offence to religious positions 1000 years ago!

The map was based on the following...The map is based on the kingdoms/empires at 1250 (with the areas they ruled/controlled in 1250) and then categorised by the rulers religion. Simple really...

Champos

I'm not sure that I missed your point. I am sure that you avoided my questions.

I think it's good that you've come here to talk to members of the community about the map. People will have questions and yes, you don't have to answer them.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby iAmCaffeine on Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:05 pm

Imagine criticising something that you have absolutely zero intention to use and don't care about anyone else who uses it.
Cook iAmCaffeine

Postby Symmetry on Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:36 pm

iAmCaffeine wrote:Imagine criticising something that you have absolutely zero intention to use and don't care about anyone else who uses it.

Welcome to life, IaC, glad you took my advice and got one.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby riskllama on Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:37 pm

Symmetry wrote:
iAmCaffeine wrote:Imagine criticising something that you have absolutely zero intention to use and don't care about anyone else who uses it.

zing!
*but seriously tho, sym - have you considered maybe taking a break from trolling the serious parts of CC for a bit & just contain it to OT & chat?
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby Symmetry on Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:50 am

riskllama wrote:
Symmetry wrote:

zing!
*but seriously tho, sym - have you considered maybe taking a break from trolling the serious parts of CC for a bit & just contain it to OT & chat?

Aren't you bored of following me around and claiming that I'm a troll? It just seems a bit... pointless, maybe. I can't find the right word. It's probably a compound word in German, combining fruitless, sad, boring, lazy, repetitive, tiresome, obsessive, etc.

Maybe you could set up an automated system somehow. That way, every time I talk to someone, your system can step in and tell them that I'm a terrible person.

I dunno, maybe I'm just tired today. I had a go at TGD earlier for trying to pull his "You don't know how to read" routine again. Is it too much to ask for people to find new material to attack me with?
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby HitRed on Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:10 am

Symm, at some point you need to consider that your name and troll keep connecting. Many people consider you a troll. I do. Maybe it's true.
Captain HitRed

Postby Symmetry on Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:42 am

HitRed wrote:Symm, at some point you need to consider that your name and troll keep connecting. Many people consider you a troll. I do. Maybe it's true.

Thanks HR, I thought there might be a weird plan behind this current string of posts. It's a word association thing you're trying. Interesting. I sincerely hope that nobody tries to bully you in the same way. If they do, I'm around and I'll defend you. It's never nice to see people gang up on someone just for speaking their mind.

All the best,
Sym
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby iAmCaffeine on Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:55 am

Symmetry wrote:
HitRed wrote:Symm, at some point you need to consider that your name and troll keep connecting. Many people consider you a troll. I do. Maybe it's true.

Thanks HR, I thought there might be a weird plan behind this current string of posts. It's a word association thing you're trying. Interesting. I sincerely hope that nobody tries to bully you in the same way. If they do, I'm around and I'll defend you. It's never nice to see people gang up on someone just for speaking their mind.

All the best,
Sym

Please stay on topic in your own thread.
Cook iAmCaffeine

Postby Symmetry on Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:43 am

iAmCaffeine wrote:Please stay on topic in your own thread.

Lol, aye fair comment. Let's get back on track.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Evil Semp on Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:31 pm

Good idea. Keep it on topic.

This is for all concerned. Stop the trolling.
Sergeant 1st Class Evil Semp
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby BrutalBob on Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:59 am

This is the best Sym thread for a while.

I got quite a smile out of it. This page in particular

Keep up the good work guys-- Sym (of course), llama, Caff and HR
Lieutenant BrutalBob

Postby Symmetry on Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:04 am

BrutalBob wrote:This is the best Sym thread for a while.

I got quite a smile out of it. This page in particular

Keep up the good work guys-- Sym (of course), llama, Caff and HR

It's always good when people from different parts of the community get together to discuss stuff like this. Players, ex-players, mods, map makers, OT and GD regulars... and people from all walks of life.

It's kinda good when it works out. BB- what's your take on the issue? What do you think of maps based on religion?
Sergeant Symmetry

Previous

Return to Conquer Club Discussion