Conquer Club

Does talking in chat make you a bigger target?

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Does talking in chat make you a bigger target?

Postby SaucyJack on Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:03 am

I've been noticing this trend, and trying to figure out the cause(s):

I've played a number of doubles games where one team is quite obviously running away with the game, but (from the logs) no one seems to attack them, or even view them as a threat, and as a result they just breeze through the game, trouncing everyone. For example, this happened in a Eurasia game we played not long ago where one team was allowed to capture everything east from the China border essentially unchallenged and unmentioned in chat, at which point they were unstoppable for the rest of us.

Then I'll play games where my teammate and I are in the same spot, but all the other teams form an alliance to knock us back to the stone age, where we inevitably lose because even with our bonuses we can't defend against multiple card sets and stacks of troops.

Now, with that said, I don't mean this to sound like sour grapes, because it's not; when we're in a good lead and other teams can come together and break us, it's an impressive act of teammate, and I can respect that. My question is: why are some teams (who are inevitably quiet/silent in the chat) left to their own devices to just walk all over the board at their leisure without any challenge?
Lieutenant SaucyJack

Re: Does talking in chat make you a bigger target?

Postby xroads on Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:13 am

I think it all depends on the players and the way it is chatted.

3 team doubles are a bit more challenging IMO. Diplomacy for sure comes into play, but more importantly is how you present yourself when
proposing an alliance.

Dont use me for an example, I am the worst in chat
Major xroads

Postby rockfist on Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:58 am

It depends on a lot of things...some people pay more attention to higher ranked players and discount the abilities of lower ranked players. Some people have history with certain other players or teams. I know if I am involved in a lot of clan games I sometimes notice things in non clan games that I just don't have the time or energy to discuss in chat, but if my clan game load was low I would.
Brigadier rockfist

Postby owenshooter on Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:42 pm

talking in chat just makes you one of the remaining 78 members not playing bot games...-Jésus noir
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
makes it ever so much more erotically thrilling"
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby Shannon Apple on Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:54 pm

rockfist wrote:It depends on a lot of things...some people pay more attention to higher ranked players and discount the abilities of lower ranked players. Some people have history with certain other players or teams. I know if I am involved in a lot of clan games I sometimes notice things in non clan games that I just don't have the time or energy to discuss in chat, but if my clan game load was low I would.

In addition to this, I've heard someone actually admit to targetting higher ranks because they don't want them to win and/or they can gain more points that way. Poor sportsmanship, but not much you can do about it. It's the reason I mostly stopped playing public multiplayer /multiteam after I reached major. It was obvious to me that this was the case before that player admitted it. Used to hear it all in Live Chat. :lol: :lol: :lol:
00:33:53 ‹riskllama› will her and i ever hook up, LLT???
00:34:09 ‹LiveLoveTeach› You and Shannon?
00:34:20 ‹LiveLoveTeach› Bahahahahahaha
00:34:22 ‹LiveLoveTeach› I doubt it
00:34:30 ‹LiveLoveTeach› I don't think she's into farm animals
Brigadier Shannon Apple
Chatter
Chatter

Postby tfh182 on Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:25 pm

It all depends on how you come across.
Corporal tfh182

Postby Ltrain on Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:35 pm

I think any chat at all makes you a target in escalating, no matter the nature of your chat. Most people will play rationally most of the time. But if somebody is just looking for someone to hit, sometime the, "Oh, shut the f*ck up" factor can play into it.
Major Ltrain

Return to Conquer Club Discussion