Conquer Club

Signature Limits

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Signature Limits

Postby amazzony on Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:58 am

Alright, I understand that there's a 255 character limit so people wouldn't post novels to the signatures but can somebody explain why is this limitation needed?

Your message contains too many URLs. The maximum number of URLs allowed is 5.

Thanks,
amazzony
"Thou shalt accept thy dice rolls as the will of the Gods" (Church of Gaming)
"amazzony is a beast" (Woodruff)
Lieutenant amazzony

Medals: 113
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2)
Tournament Achievement (26) General Achievement (5) Clan Achievement (10) Tournament Contribution (32) General Contribution (4)

Re: Signature Limits

Postby hecter on Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:50 am

Better question: Why the hell do you need 5 URL's in your sig?
In heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine... You got your things, and I've got mine.
Private 1st Class hecter

Medals: 25
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) General Contribution (1)

Postby amazzony on Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:30 am

hecter wrote:Better question: Why the hell do you need 5 URL's in your sig?

Not an answer to my question so I guess you are not the sharpest tool in the box. Maybe taking a look at my sig will give you an answer?
Lieutenant amazzony

Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2)
Tournament Achievement (26) General Achievement (5) Clan Achievement (10) Tournament Contribution (32) General Contribution (4)

Postby gdeangel on Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:35 am

Don't know for sure, but I'd guess that the structure used by PHP for profiles has limitations... more so than a regular post.

Or maybe they just consider too many links akin to spam... ?
Sergeant gdeangel

Medals: 12
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (2)

Postby hecter on Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:36 pm

gdeangel wrote:Or maybe they just consider too many links akin to spam... ?

Probably it...
amazzony wrote:
hecter wrote:Better question: Why the hell do you need 5 URL's in your sig?

Not an answer to my question so I guess you are not the sharpest tool in the box. Maybe taking a look at my sig will give you an answer?

This isn't the place to flame me. I don't see why you need to put every single tournament win (or any, for that matter) in your signature.
In heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine... You got your things, and I've got mine.
Private 1st Class hecter

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)

Postby Kotaro on Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:39 pm

It's really not a very good explained rule, but i agree that it should be.

hecter, the reason for it, is that winning tournaments doesn't mean squat, except a reputation, and the occassional premium prize, so you want to boast about it whenever possible.
Highest Rank = 2048Image
Kotaro Fuma, The Terror of Death
Private Kotaro

Medals: 41
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (9)

Postby hecter on Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:45 pm

Kotaro wrote:hecter, the reason for it, is that winning tournaments doesn't mean squat, except a reputation, and the occassional premium prize, so you want to boast about it whenever possible.

I still don't see why the links are necessarily... I doubt anybody is going to think you're lying unless you're making outlandish claims, in which case they should just check for themselves... I know I have no desire to check 5 (or one, for that matter) different tournement threads to see that amazzony actually won them...
Private 1st Class hecter

Postby keiths31 on Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:03 pm

hecter wrote: I don't see why you need to put every single tournament win (or any, for that matter) in your signature.

Why do you feel the need to put witty comments in your sig that are quoted by other players?
Doesn't matter why she wants them there...she just asked a question. Don't have to question her reasons.
Sergeant 1st Class keiths31

Medals: 64
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (2)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (7)
Clan Achievement (8) Tournament Contribution (20)

Postby amazzony on Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:58 am

As keiths said, I didn't make this thread to discuss why I want to put more than 5 in my sig. Question was why the limit exists. Thanks gdeangel for trying to help (not like most others in the thread).

I understand, hecter, that you have taken your personal goal to answer every single thread in this forum but I'm sure if you miss one then your chances to get a mod won't decrease, they will actually increase if you stop making lame and pointless posts that aren't answering people's questions.
Lieutenant amazzony

Postby Iliad on Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:24 am

Simply because it can be abused via spam, and it having more than 5 urls is kinda unneeded anyway
Private 1st Class Iliad

Medals: 1
Standard Achievement (1)

Postby owenshooter on Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:53 am

Iliad wrote:Simply because it can be abused via spam, and it having more than 5 urls is kinda unneeded anyway

i think it looks spammy and is distracting when it is just text vs. a kick ass sig, like mine. however, i have been known to bust the rules when i get a great quote out of someone,like the one i just added this morning...-0
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
makes it ever so much more erotically thrilling"
Lieutenant owenshooter

Medals: 34
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (2) Challenge Achievement (1)
General Contribution (1)

Postby hecter on Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:21 pm

amazzony wrote:As keiths said, I didn't make this thread to discuss why I want to put more than 5 in my sig. Question was why the limit exists. Thanks gdeangel for trying to help (not like most others in the thread).

I understand, hecter, that you have taken your personal goal to answer every single thread in this forum but I'm sure if you miss one then your chances to get a mod won't decrease, they will actually increase if you stop making lame and pointless posts that aren't answering people's questions.

I don't get why you're taking this so personally... I mean, do you want to know who would put more than five links in a signature? Somebody involved in a pyramid scam and wants you to sign up for a bajillion different things and load your computer with tons of spyware and trojan horses. I think that keeping that limit on do avoid things like that (as even if a mod catches it in a day and bans the user, a lot of damage could be done to somebody who doesn't know much about these things) is more important than having links to all the tournaments you've won... I mean, I'm sorry that I've offended you oh so greatly by asking why you need to do that, but sheesh... If you hate me this much, take it to Flame Wars. We don't need to see that here.
Private 1st Class hecter

Postby Timminz on Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:11 pm

hecter wrote:If you hate me this much...

Help! Help! Someone's persecuting Hecter.
Captain Timminz

Medals: 57
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (6) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (10) Tournament Contribution (1)
General Contribution (1)

Return to Conquer Club Discussion