Conquer Club

Mafia Tournament

Discuss Mafia Games, roles, ideas for games, mechanics, and everything else related to the game here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Mafia Tournament

Postby jak111 on Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:16 pm

That's right. A mafia tournament. I seen this somewhere below or back a few pages but it seriously has seemed to die off for an idea.

This mafia tournament will have the following set up if it's approved.

24 people to start it off.

After the first game 6 of these are eliminated with one method or another.

Now 18 remain. They will be broken up into two games of 9.

4 will be eliminated from each of these games.

Now only 10 remain.

They have one final mafia game and the winner(s) take all, if town/mafia win, only the survivors get the win.

Now.. I'd need help with setting up how people win/lose up until the 10 remain. If there are any suggestions, they would be appreciated. This tournament would need 3 mods. 1 hosts the first game, 2 host the 2nd set of games, and all 3 host the final game.

This... if approved, I hope we can make it into an OFFICIAL Mafia Game Tournament. However, I think we'd need support and help from the actual forum mods to get this set up properly.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?
Highest Rank:
Major:2157

"All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers"

Jak Eliminator: Prison Riot [0/16] *Sign Ups*
Private 1st Class jak111

Re: Mafia Tournament

Postby Yomiel on Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:39 pm

Maybe some type of gimmick? 24 people are trapped somewhere and forced to play a deadly game. For the first round of said game, only eighteen will survive and proceed to round two. And these eighteen are chosen or those six are eliminated through some unique thing with a certain deadline? Maybe, like, a series or puzzles? I once played a Mafia game where we had to solve puzzles to get our roles. Maybe solving all the puzzles provided leads to some keyword that enables the player to escape the first level and move on?
New Recruit Yomiel

Postby vodean on Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:54 pm

well if you have to survive to advance, i might as well not even sign up
<NoSurvivorsā€ŗ then vote chuck for being an info whore
Sergeant vodean

Postby DoomYoshi on Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:52 pm

Vote vodean
vodean wrote:well if you have to survive to advance, i might as well not even sign up

Speedlynch Go Go Go!
ā–‘ā–’ā–’ā–“ā–“ā–“ā–’ā–’ā–‘
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby Campin_Killer on Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:32 pm

DoomYoshi wrote:Vote vodean
vodean wrote:well if you have to survive to advance, i might as well not even sign up

Speedlynch Go Go Go!

vodean, Always Mafia Mafia, has been lynched!
Upcoming Tournaments
NCAA Football
In the Trenches - 3 in sign-ups
13 Colonies
8 Thoughts
Africa

Highscore

Lieutenant Campin_Killer

Postby edocsil on Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:27 pm

jak111 wrote:That's right. A mafia tournament. I seen this somewhere below or back a few pages but it seriously has seemed to die off for an idea.

Now only 10 remain.

They have one final mafia game and the winner(s) take all, if town/mafia win, only the survivors get the win.

Now.. I'd need help with setting up how people win/lose up until the 10 remain. If there are any suggestions, they would be appreciated. This tournament would need 3 mods. 1 hosts the first game, 2 host the 2nd set of games, and all 3 host the final game.

This... if approved, I hope we can make it into an OFFICIAL Mafia Game Tournament. However, I think we'd need support and help from the actual forum mods to get this set up properly.

I am interested in modding or playing.
Edoc'sil

Commander9 wrote:Trust Edoc, as I know he's VERY good.

zimmah wrote:Mind like a brick.
Sergeant 1st Class edocsil

Postby Nebuchadnezer on Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:55 pm

edocsil wrote:
jak111 wrote:That's right. A mafia tournament. I seen this somewhere below or back a few pages but it seriously has seemed to die off for an idea.

Now only 10 remain.

I am interested in modding or playing.

In.
Sergeant 1st Class Nebuchadnezer

Postby thechuck51 on Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:08 pm

What about this?

say you have 24 players, they get randomly split into two groups of 12.

Each group plays an identical 12 player open setup. then maybe each player is awarded points based on their play.
NK = 1pt
Doc save = 1pt
block a kill = 1 pt
lynch scum = 1 pt for each townie
lynch town = 1 pt for each mafia

or even just award points based on who wins. repeat for a couple more rounds and the person with the most points wins?
Sergeant 1st Class thechuck51

Postby edocsil on Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:01 pm

thechuck51 wrote:What about this?

Each group plays an identical 12 player open setup. then maybe each player is awarded points based on their play.
NK = 1pt
Doc save = 1pt
block a kill = 1 pt

or even just award points based on who wins. repeat for a couple more rounds and the person with the most points wins?

It first I was nodding along, but really when it comes down to it, winning is all. Doing well means nothing if you fail in the end.
Edoc'sil

Postby vodean on Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:44 pm

edocsil wrote:

NK = 1pt
Doc save = 1pt
block a kill = 1 pt

It first I was nodding along, but really when it comes down to it, winning is all. Doing well means nothing if you fail in the end.
also, unless town gets very lucky, there are going to be many more scum-points earned than town ones. which means that people like me that get a lot of scum roles auto-win.

i think it should be 10 games or something, played 2 at a time or something. fixed open set-up in each game. the person with the highest win % as each allignments wins.
Sergeant vodean

Postby Iron Butterfly on Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:02 pm

I will most certainly play.
Captain Iron Butterfly

Postby vodean on Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:13 pm

vodean wrote:
edocsil wrote:

NK = 1pt
Doc save = 1pt
block a kill = 1 pt

also, unless town gets very lucky, there are going to be many more scum-points earned than town ones. which means that people like me that get a lot of scum roles auto-win.

i think it should be 10 games or something, played 2 at a time or something. fixed open set-up in each game. the person with the highest win % as each allignments wins.
one possible set-up for this would be 20 players. each player is assigned 8 games (which are played 4 at a time). at the end of the 8 games, the top 10 people (still need to decide how we determine that too) advance to the next round, and play 4 games, 2 at a time. then the top players can be determined.
Sergeant vodean

Postby safariguy5 on Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:27 pm

I think the top players should be voted on by the players. Mods can definitely input opinions, but a consensus top players can be culled from the games.
Captain safariguy5

Postby Nebuchadnezer on Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:51 am

safariguy5 wrote:I think the top players should be voted on by the players. Mods can definitely input opinions, but a consensus top players can be culled from the games.

Yah, the players/mods will know who contributed and who just rode along for the win. But how to quantify? Players/mods vote top 3? Top 5?
Sergeant 1st Class Nebuchadnezer

Postby jak111 on Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:04 am

I was thinking something like the survivors (if there's less than 4) for sure go on. If there's more than 4 survivors at least 3 of the picked MUST be survivors (Otherwise what's the point of winning eh?)

Then most of the rest is picked by fellow players.

Finally there are 2-3 reserved spots that only the mod can choose (they will know who was what and how hard they've tried or succeeded).

The only reason I want this to be diverse in how the contestants move on is because I do not want this to become a popularity contest (Let's face it, I'd win that hands down :roll: :lol: ).

Saf seems good with balance + he is an entertainment mod, so I was thinking of asking him to step up to be one of the mods/judges for the tourny.

I was thinking of trying to help out, but I fear that I may not have the time to dedicate to this AND Halo (+ the story mafia coming up at the turn of 2013).

But seriously. How shall we get the mods and judges for the tourny? Votes? Elections?

Right now the two of three that I think would be good are

/, for his randomness of games that let people go into a different play style.

Saf, for his balance, pretty much any game he mods or any games he helped balance seem to have turned out good in balancing wise.

For me, the 3rd spot would be open to picks.

But anyone else have ideas?
Highest Rank:
Major:2157

"All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers"

Jak Eliminator: Prison Riot [0/16] *Sign Ups*
Private 1st Class jak111

Postby vodean on Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:44 am

the problem with a vote is that there are 24 candidates. (or 20, or whatever)
Sergeant vodean

Postby safariguy5 on Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:16 pm

Nebuchadnezer wrote:
safariguy5 wrote:I think the top players should be voted on by the players. Mods can definitely input opinions, but a consensus top players can be culled from the games.

Yah, the players/mods will know who contributed and who just rode along for the win. But how to quantify? Players/mods vote top 3? Top 5?

In the games I've run with premium prize for the MVP, consensus seems to come pretty easily as to who the top performers were. The main issue I see is finding the good players from the losing faction. Surviving for a long time is one factor to consider, but all around play needs to be weighed as well.

I'd be happy to help mod, I think edoc, Mr. Squirrel, or strike would make fine choices as third mods. If someone else wants to step up and mod as well, I'd be fine with that as well.
Captain safariguy5

Postby edocsil on Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:49 pm

safariguy5 wrote:
Nebuchadnezer wrote:

In the games I've run with premium prize for the MVP, consensus seems to come pretty easily as to who the top performers were. The main issue I see is finding the good players from the losing faction. Surviving for a long time is one factor to consider, but all around play needs to be weighed as well.

I'd be happy to help mod, I think edoc, Mr. Squirrel, or strike would make fine choices as third mods. If someone else wants to step up and mod as well, I'd be fine with that as well.

I would be willing to, and after my pantheon is over I will only have more game to go. Obviously unwilling to mod while that series is wrapping up.
Edoc'sil

Postby jgordon1111 on Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:05 pm

Sounds like you guys are getting close to hammering out the fine details of this,let me know when you have it worked out,this sounds like it could be winner,love to play in a mafia tournament.

But you have to remember some roles are harder to play. Example on CC having a survivor role is tatamount to death,therefore should be given more points. Godfather is tough to pull off as well,you better be good at lying and covering your tracks.

That way you get a better idea of who played what how well.

VT,investigative,roleblocker,vig,etc 1 point.

survivor 2 points.

mafia godfather,doc,etc 3 points.
Private jgordon1111

Postby safariguy5 on Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:59 pm

jgordon1111 wrote:Sounds like you guys are getting close to hammering out the fine details of this,let me know when you have it worked out,this sounds like it could be winner,love to play in a mafia tournament.

But you have to remember some roles are harder to play. Example on CC having a survivor role is tatamount to death,therefore should be given more points. Godfather is tough to pull off as well,you better be good at lying and covering your tracks.

That way you get a better idea of who played what how well.

VT,investigative,roleblocker,vig,etc 1 point.

survivor 2 points.

mafia godfather,doc,etc 3 points.

True, but how are we supposed to score it? Points if they win? Extra points if they survive?

Part of it also is luck of the draw. If one person consistently gets stronger roles, then they will get more points if their side wins.

And therein lies the problem of trying to quantify skill. Certainly, you can use your role to influence the outcome of the game, but it's very difficult to figure out who contributed more to a game/deserves to move on.

For example, let's say we have a game where person A was a VT and was killed early on (Night 1/Night 2). And let's say we have a mafia roleblocker, Person B, who fought tooth and nail and got the game down to LYLO but lost in the end. Do we say that the VT "deserved" to get the points more than the roleblocker? Or do we say the VT "got lucky" that his side pulled out the win after he died.

Which is why I suggest a voting system for the best players. Certainly, MVP can get more points, and have it go down from there, but I feel it weights the scoring a little more fairly to get some measure of skill instead of straight wins and losses, which can be a deceiving stat.
Captain safariguy5

Postby jgordon1111 on Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:15 pm

Then try having the MOD along with 2 other non in game players that have alot of MOD experience decide who gets points,depending on roles and gameplay, You guys know who is floating and who is playing,that along with their respective role no matter what it is,what and how much they contributed. example if they were a VT that during gameplay specifically drew mafia out to kill them instead of a power role.

obverse of this would be someone who wanted to BW lynch everyone that was put forward with no evidence,even a player who is mafia is not that dumb.
Private jgordon1111

Postby safariguy5 on Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:59 pm

jgordon1111 wrote:Then try having the MOD along with 2 other non in game players that have alot of MOD experience decide who gets points,depending on roles and gameplay, You guys know who is floating and who is playing,that along with their respective role no matter what it is,what and how much they contributed. example if they were a VT that during gameplay specifically drew mafia out to kill them instead of a power role.

obverse of this would be someone who wanted to BW lynch everyone that was put forward with no evidence,even a player who is mafia is not that dumb.

By that approach, we open ourselves up to certain player biases. Certainly, the more experienced we are, the chummier we tend to be with other experienced players. It's like the C&A forum, there's a possibility for disconnect with what the community believes should be right and what the mods think is right. I'd prefer a vote of the top 3 or whatever and award points that way because the players of the game have read every post and certainly know where the pivotal moments are.
Captain safariguy5

Postby thechuck51 on Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:15 pm

What about some sort of scoring rubric for each role based on what the optimum play would be? Max points could be based on how hard it is to win with a particular role.

examples...

Town Doctor (max 5 points)
5 pts - Win with town and prevent 3 kills
4 pts - Win with town and prevent 2 kills
3 pts - prevent 2 kills
2 pts - Win with town and prevent 1 kill
1 pt - prevent 1 kill
0 pts - prevent 0 kills

Serial Killer (max 10 points)
10 pts - Win
9 pts - out last mafia
8 pts - be eliminated at same time as mafia
7 pts - 7 kills
6 pts - 6 kills.
5 pts - 5 kills etc...

granted it would be a pain to develop rubrics for all the possible roles.
Sergeant 1st Class thechuck51

Postby new guy1 on Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:21 pm

With the available input the community could give, I would say 3-5 people come together and give input on how many points each role could have. The people could be decided by nominations or by vote.
Sergeant new guy1

Postby jgordon1111 on Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:52 pm

safariguy5 wrote:
jgordon1111 wrote:Then try having the MOD along with 2 other non in game players that have alot of MOD experience decide who gets points,depending on roles and gameplay, You guys know who is floating and who is playing,that along with their respective role no matter what it is,what and how much they contributed. example if they were a VT that during gameplay specifically drew mafia out to kill them instead of a power role.

By that approach, we open ourselves up to certain player biases. Certainly, the more experienced we are, the chummier we tend to be with other experienced players. It's like the C&A forum, there's a possibility for disconnect with what the community believes should be right and what the mods think is right. I'd prefer a vote of the top 3 or whatever and award points that way because the players of the game have read every post and certainly know where the pivotal moments are.

I understand what your saying SAF,and the reason I put in my statement experienced mods,was to try and get them to be unbiased. the players put forth the players they think were the best,then the MODS award the points.

Inherent flaw in your plan chuck,players would have to be assigned roles in order to ensure points were even. Then you get to the last couple of games you then just deduce who havent had what roles,mafia dies quickly. probably D1
Private jgordon1111

Next

Return to Mafia Discussions